ADVERTISEMENT

Delany says condensed schedule will not happen again

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Having your tournament played a week early was not a smart idea in my opinion and thus cramming in 2 games as well. As a result Delany publicly stated as such per a Teddy Greenstein tweet and thus should the Big 10 ever have its tournament in NY again it will need to be at Barclays or at MSG if MSG doesn't renew with Big East Conference. Will be interesting to see what crowds are at tourney as I get a sense crowds will not be overwhelming. Also lord help Delany if any of the tourney squads are knocked out early by underdog squads as the approx 10 day rest period of inactivity will be major reason blamed by coaches who despised this setup

Give Delany credit for owning up to the mistake. I am not sure this tournament is going to create much buzz while others are still finishing up their regular seasons. I will be surprised if the attendance is noteworthy particularly the early sessions. Interesting that three conference tournaments will be in the NYC area over the next couple of weeks with the ACC being in Brooklyn. Will be an interesting comparison with regard to interest levels.

Another reason to catch the Rutgers game. Catch Rutgers in the BTT cuz you don’t know when it’ll be back!!!

Many of us on this board knew it was a stupid idea from the beginning. Think MSU and Purdue might get rusty being off for 14 days after a season of three games in eight days constantly.

Now Delany can you go work on the "bowl" game that no one wants.

They're going to 20 conference games next season so won't it be just as compressed?

Bad idea for the exact reasons Delany and coaches said. Condensed regular season schedule causing teams to play too many games in short time periods, and the time off after the Tournament is complete.

Anyone saying it's because of lack of fans interest in the tournament being held in the metropolitan area is wrong (i.e. I'm sure a bunch of UConn fans are stating this). 14K all sessions tickets sold and individual session tickets go on sale Monday. We'll see alumni bases of B1G schools come out for their games and the crowds will be ok. They'll always be some message board poster of another school say I saw a tv screen of empty seats so the attendance sunk.

This would have been a good idea if we could get the premier week (Big East week) for the Tournament.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
wHAT ABOUT THE rOCK IN Newark? IS THAT AVAILABLE IN THAT FRAME?

not a good choice..Newark..no...Big 10 is about the big show...NYC..not Newark, not Brooklyn, any fans are staying in NYC not schlepping over on the train to Newark or taking a subway to Brooklyn. Its either at the Garden or nowhere

I think attendance will be good but empty for the first two days..and anemic the first day. RU fans are not going to show because one our fanbase is small and two the team just is not very good so little enthusiasm for fans to head to watch. Remember the BE tourney attracted a lot of locals and businessmen to the games...so I expect some of them to show up. Plus the HUGE alums of all the Big 10 schools not just in NJ/NY but the entire northeast, they do not get much of a chance to watch their schools play live. We saw a good number of Purdue, Indiana, and OSU fans from the area at the games and they will show. I think Michigan will have the biggest following in the area.

I would say that in general, the far majority of schools do no want this tourney played in NYC or DC...of course PSU, MD, and RU disagree but Delaney has to put a spin because he is probably getting enormous pushback on having to play this tourney so far east for two years in a row.

Having your tournament played a week early was not a smart idea in my opinion and thus cramming in 2 games as well. As a result Delany publicly stated as such per a Teddy Greenstein tweet and thus should the Big 10 ever have its tournament in NY again it will need to be at Barclays or at MSG if MSG doesn't renew with Big East Conference. Will be interesting to see what crowds are at tourney as I get a sense crowds will not be overwhelming. Also lord help Delany if any of the tourney squads are knocked out early by underdog squads as the approx 10 day rest period of inactivity will be major reason blamed by coaches who despised this setup

Delany does not make many mistakes. This was one, however.

Michigan and maybe PSU will draw. I think rest of tourney will be tough sell attendance wise. Guessing absolutely no students. Guessing MSU and Purdue fans will want to wait for the Big Dance. If the hockey basketball double header is any indication this tourney may be an awful bust.

Michigan and maybe PSU will draw. I think rest of tourney will be tough sell attendance wise. Guessing absolutely no students. Guessing MSU and Purdue fans will want to wait for the Big Dance. If the hockey basketball double header is any indication this tourney may be an awful bust.

I disagree. When we played Wisconsin at MSG, they had a very large contingent. Probably 4 or 5k

Attracting RU fans to a Wednesday game, especially if it's a 5:30 p.m. tip-off, will be difficult.

Overall, attendance will be fine. Delany said 14,000 all-session packages already have been sold. Single-game tix go on sale on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: RURM85
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the NCAA tournament BIG teams. Maybe rusty and lose . But maybe fresh and go to the final four and Delaney is hailed genius .

Delany has said he'd like the Big 10 tourney to come east every 5 years. Thus a rotation of Chicago Indy Chicago Indy and then east coast hopefully Barclays or msg if big east gets kicked out.

Regardless of the overall turnout for the first day, I would like to think we have a nice majority over whoever we are playing. I mean, how many Minnesota, Iowa, or Illinois fans can there be in the area? Considering tickets are dirt cheap, I think it’d be a fun time and good value.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT