ADVERTISEMENT

Frustrated with Licensing Office

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Worst availability of merchandise in the B1G and bottom 25% of all FBS. Try finding a toddler Tshirt and there are about three-four options. There's a decent amount of infant wear and youth wear, but what the heck are they supposed to do in between? Not wear their colors??!

Reactions: Finster Baby
Try finding the larger sizes, 3x and 4x, good luck. When you do, they look like 2x. It's only football, no former lineman running around. Haha, but annoying.

I think your complaint is with the clothing manufacturers, not Rutgers.
You would think, but just maybe two weeks ago there was a thread on here that manufacturers get no where with the licensing office...

Reactions: RU22
You would think, but just maybe two weeks ago there was a thread on here that manufacturers get no where with the licensing office...

Yeah .... that comment was posted by a friend of a friend who tried to license from Rutgers over a decade ago, before Rutgers started going through CLC/IMG. And people who are actually involved in licensing, manufacturing, and selling of college apparel today indicated that licensing from Rutgers through CLC/IMG is really no different than licensing any other college.

So, again, I think your complaint is with the apparel manufacturers, not Rutgers.

It's the manufacturers. I found a site selling great college themed jewelry...Pandora bead-like stuff. Every B1G school but RU. I tweeted to Doreen Ash & asked her to get RU on it. She immediately emailed the company and they replied:

Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately because of Rutgers smaller fan base it isn't profitable to go through the licensing process at this time.

Its VERY frustrating. Bottom line is, we win they will start making stuff.

Yeah .... that comment was posted by a friend of a friend who tried to license from Rutgers over a decade ago, before Rutgers started going through CLC/IMG. And people who are actually involved in licensing, manufacturing, and selling of college apparel today indicated that licensing from Rutgers through CLC/IMG is really no different than licensing any other college.

So, again, I think your complaint is with the apparel manufacturers, not Rutgers.
Ah, my mistake.

... and, by extension, the State of New Jersey or Rutgers Alumni for being less-than-attractive markets for State U.-branded merchandise, but that doesn't really seem possible to me. I mean, I have to imagine that the market for Rutgers apparel is at least bigger and richer than, say, Syracuse's or BC's or Purdue's or Northwestern's.

Reactions: ruready07
Rutgers is MORE than happy to sign licensing deals, but they can't force companies to do that.

Win more and often and more will start lining up.

Reactions: SF88
It's the manufacturers. I found a site selling great college themed jewelry...Pandora bead-like stuff. Every B1G school but RU. I tweeted to Doreen Ash & asked her to get RU on it. She immediately emailed the company and they replied:

Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately because of Rutgers smaller fan base it isn't profitable to go through the licensing process at this time.

Would be nice if the B1G was such a powerful entity where they could say to somebody, "If you want have a B1G school, you make something for all 14 members or we go somewhere else."

Reactions: Scoutnmayo
Would be nice if the B1G was such a powerful entity where they could say to somebody, "If you want have a B1G school, you make something for all 14 members or we go somewhere else."

unfortunately the licenses belong to the schools and not the B1G so that is never happening. The company I was looking at is an Ohio based company so they even have the small Ohio schools in their products. I cannot imagine that the Akron Zips, Dayton Flyers or Ohio Bobcats have more fans than Rutgers that we can't even get one charm made. Just imagine BOTH knights, the RU, the R

Stone Armory Charms

The B1G store is the saddest thing of all. we have so little stuff available compared to the other schools. we are just tee shirt after tee shirt and not much more.

B1G Store

... and, by extension, the State of New Jersey or Rutgers Alumni for being less-than-attractive markets for State U.-branded merchandise, but that doesn't really seem possible to me. I mean, I have to imagine that the market for Rutgers apparel is at least bigger and richer than, say, Syracuse's or BC's or Purdue's or Northwestern's.

I think there is a misconception out there that we have a small fan base. Compared to tOSU and Michigan, sure. But yeah we have plenty more fans than Akron.

Or maybe we just have a cheap fan base that doesn't buy stuff.

Reactions: 17Q66

I'd be curious to know more details, as it appears that all vendors go through the same process to obtain a license, whether it's for 1 or multiple IMG schools, & then pay each school's upfront licensing fees, which don't appear to be cost prohibitive. Presumably, all of these vendors are already approved but need to pay the licensing fees to use Rutgers logos. It doesn't appear to be much more work than that. Here's info on the process & fees, & you can also search by licensee: https://www.clc.com/Licensing-Info.aspx

Hard to believe, but can all those marketing people at all those manufacturers be wrong? We've seen in the apparel deal earlier this year that Nike essentially offered nothing to keep our contract and the value of the Adidas is not a whole lot more monetarily than the old Nike contract. Also don't forget those schools all play MBB which also sells merchandise.

Reactions: 17Q66
I was looking for some R lingerie to surprise the wifey, bit all they had were tiny thongs. Not even red.
Abro, consider yourself lucky she still will wear a thong! Mine wore them during the courting period, but not since. :mad:
So, just turn off the lights(unless you have a Red light in the room) and let your fingers do the walking..........

Worst availability of merchandise in the B1G and bottom 25% of all FBS. Try finding a toddler Tshirt and there are about three-four options. There's a decent amount of infant wear and youth wear, but what the heck are they supposed to do in between? Not wear their colors??!
First I thought this had to be a joke.. then I saw someone named "Finster Baby" "liked" that post... and that was even funnier.

If serious, my only comment would be that, over time, you'll see companies adding products when they introduce new designs because they will work down the list of conference teams and we are now in the Big Ten. Of course, it may be a case that they have the art work in various forms for all these current teams they do.. and if a new product is just slapping an old embroidery or screen print on something.. they likely do not have the Rutgers stuff.

About the only thing we can do is contact the manufacturers and ask them why they don't have a Rutgers item. If they are a decent size outfit they will have people reading these comments and figuring for every email or letter they get it represents 5K-10K others who won't bother to contact them. Soooo.. don't post here.. contact the manufacturers... or post here witht eh contact info and ask others to contact as well.

I once got a 5th wheel tire cover made with the block R that way. I think they eventually offered it as a real licensed product.

Last edited:
its like the chicken or the egg. Tough to get good stuff when your fanbase doesn't have tremendous demand for product, then again its tough to have more demand when the options are very limited.

If there was money to be made off of having more of our stuff out there, trust me it would be there. We are not some unrefined gold mine - it is just not cost effective to have our stuff the way other schools do. I think if you asked the average sports fan about Rutgers they would say we are perennially bad at the money sports (bball and football) and in no way belong in the B1G. Win and that perception goes away.

Reactions: SF88 and 17Q66
@RU5781 Heaven does a good job posting stuff, but a lot of it is not practical and is jokish.

things like Rutgers fabric to make into table cloths...not available in Rutgers. Sidewalls for tents...not available in Rutgers. paper plates/cups...not available in Rutgers (well, unless you are willing to spend $1.25 per plate. I'm crazy but not that crazy). high end jewlery....not available in Rutgers. as posted above...toddler tee shirts, seemingly not available in Rutgers. I walk around the tailgate lots when we go to away games and take photos of the things I would love to see with an R on it instead of an M. For instance, when we went to Michigan 2 years ago I saw no less than 4 different kinds of Michigan tablecloths at the tailgate. 4! Rutgers has zero.

Last edited:
Folks, Rutgers now has thousands of items available through hundreds of stores/websites. This is not a complete list,but here are some places--

www.rutgersfever.com

www.risingflags.com

www.vaeldesigns.com

www.rallyhouse.com

www.kohls.com

www.laurenslinens.com

www.lids.com

www.rutgersshop.com

www.walmart.com

www.etsy.com

www.shopscarletknights.com

www.allthingsjeep.com

www.breezebyyou.com

Newark-Rutgers.bncollege

universitydistrict.bncollege

www.hatland.com

www.sears.com

www.thelogoapproach.com

www.teamsuperstore.com

www.idatasports.com

www.thecoolegeshack.com

www.jcpenney.com

www.starstruck.com

www.shopstyle.com

www.modells.com

www.rutgersgolfshop.com

www.thestadiumshoppe.com

www.sportsflagsandpennants.com

www.collegefootballstore.com

www.shopncaasports.com

www.shop.nbcsports.com

www.fanaticalfanwear.com

www.championsondisplay.com

www.kmart.com

www.lnt.com

www.keurig.com

www.espn.com

www.championusa.com

www.teamsportscovers.com

www.ozonebilliards.com

www.cutterbuck.com

www.champssports.com

www.******************.com

www.ugradshop.com

www.sportsauthority.com

www.bestbuy.com

www.onestopfanshop.com

www.lightinguniverse.com

www.sportswearnation.com

www.northshoremenswear.com

www.university-fan-shop.com

www.bluechopsticks.com

www.buy.com

www.brookstone.com

www.team-superstore.com

www.gametimeusa.com

www.fathead.com

www.collegeshade.com

www.sportsfanlogos.com

www.finishline.com

www.onthefield.com

www.americansupersports.com

www.sportsfanfare.com

www.meeshandmia.com

www.bysaradesigns.com

www.gnarlyfans.com

www.beyondgraduation.com

www.awesomesportsfans.com

www.target.com

www.bonton.com

www.newegg.com

www.collegeplates.com

www.shoptailgategear.com

www.golfhq.com

www.forevercollectibles.com

www.eteamgear.com

www.shop.cbssports.com

www.suzyshoe.com

www.allsportsandgolfgifts.com

www.fanzz.com

www.collegegolfstore.com

www.collegecarsocks.com

www.sportsfantreasures.com

www.georgiacarpet.com

www.footlocker.com

www.bowlbound.com

www.rbay.com

www.lowes.com

www.homedepot.com

www.costco.com

www.boatersworld.com

www.d1collegefootball.com

www.barbecuegrillsandmore.com

www.licenseplates.com

www.elitedeals.com

www.amazon.com

www.elitedeals.com

www.sportskids.com

www.biggsports.com

www.onlygolfapparel.com

www.overstock.com

www.jerseyhut.com

www.yahoosports.teamfanshop.com

www.powerdecal.com

its like the chicken or the egg. Tough to get good stuff when your fanbase doesn't have tremendous demand for product, then again its tough to have more demand when the options are very limited.

I'm sure this is a big part of the problem. If I'm trying to decide which colleges to license, and I see that Rutgers is way down on the list of licensed product sales, I license higher sales colleges first. But without a wide enough variety of merchandise to buy, it is hard for sales of Rutgers products to increase.

With Rutgers now in the Big Ten, you may see that issue go away over time. Manufacturers renewing license agreements or rolling out new products may add Rutgers just to have a complete portfolio of Big Ten merchandise. But even that will take time.

In the last decade, I don't know if there is another school in the country,including Gonzaga, that has seen the skyrocketing increase in items that Rutgers has.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...ntiqued-charm-bead/1044437008?Keyword=rutgers

Here is a pandora like bead.

The B1G Gear is on point... Golf polos. Winter Jackets & knits. Winter and spring vests. and my fave... Mock Zips
13925206_10154184417346311_9182259267442219893_n.jpg

15095716_10154473140806311_3036693944750386990_n.jpg

15420973_10107241572781979_548647397416310940_n.jpg

Reactions: Knight Shift
In the last decade, I don't know if there is another school in the country,including Gonzaga, that has seen the skyrocketing increase in items that Rutgers has.
Yep, we literally started from almost nothing. Anyone recall at the beginning of the Schiano era, we could barely get anyone to wear red to the games, much less Rutgers apparel.

Reactions: DJYoshi
The B1G Gear is on point... Golf polos. Winter Jackets & knits. Winter and spring vests. and my fave... Mock Zips
13925206_10154184417346311_9182259267442219893_n.jpg
Yoshi, you need to go farther away!

Edit: @DJYoshi: just to be clear, this was a joke about you going farther away to get pictures taken with Rutgers/Big 10 gear, not that I want you farther away from RU. Someone pointed out that this could be misconstrued as such. Hence the picture of me on the other side of the world.

RutgersInMauritius2_zpsnaxphaoy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJYoshi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT