ADVERTISEMENT

Funny Cal quote

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
"It was [hard to leave]," he said. "We've been there 15 years. Fifteen years. Great times, great achievements. Forty players to the NBA, 30 kids graduated. I love that state, I love the governor. The people are the salt of the earth."

Student athletes right?

Last edited:
2 per year doesn’t seem too shabby on the face of it

The thing is …. bet 90% of that stat comes from walk-ons, etc. so most likely a bogus stat (not like they are graduating 3 “real” players per year)

Reactions: Scarlet1984

The thing is …. bet 90% of that stat comes from walk-ons, etc. so most likely a bogus stat (not like they are graduating 3 “real” players per year)
I was thinking that you have 3-4 walk-ons every year. I wonder how many players who played any meaningful minutes ever graduated?

Per rivals, he's had 87 commits since 2009. Don't know how many incoming transfers outside of that.

"It was [hard to leave]," he said. "We've been there 15 years. Fifteen years. Great times, great achievements. Forty players to the NBA, 30 kids graduated. I love that state, I love the governor. The people are the salt of the earth."

Student athletes right?
I'm with you. He's BRAGGING that 30 kids graduated in 15 years? That's pretty freaking awful. But I guess if you say "70 that either got a degree or an NBA paycheck", it sounds a lot better.

I'm with you. He's BRAGGING that 30 kids graduated in 15 years? That's pretty freaking awful. But I guess if you say "70 that either got a degree or an NBA paycheck", it sounds a lot better.

that's an average of 4.6 kids/year that graduate or go to the NBA. I don't think that sounds a lot better.

Does that 30 only include HS recruit?
Are people guessing at including walk-ons?
For example, does HC Pike get to include Cam Spencer or Fernandes as a graduate?
What about Hyatt?

If it’s only HS recruits - that’s not too bad 2 a year.

Looking at HC Pike:
Class 2023: 2 at best(Gavin left. Davis and Obgole still here)
Class 2022: 0 - Chol, Woolfolk and Simpson left
Class 2021: 0 - Jalen Miller left
Class 2020: 2 - Mag and Clif? Jaden Jones and Reiber left
Class 2019: 2 - Oskar and Mulcahey
Class 2018: 2? Caleb and Ron? Did RHJ graduate or leave early? He tried to leave early. Mathis and Shaq Carter left early
Class 2017: 2 - Geo and Myles. Mensah and Doucoure left.
Class 2016: 0? Did Eugene graduate before transferring) Thiam and Bullock left.

My rough (and likely incomplete) has 10 HS recruits graduating in 8 years.
That assumes Davis and Ogbole don’t leave.

We already know at least 2 of the 5 Class 2024 recruits aren’t graduating here.

Much of this is the mentality of todays athletes. Many never competed for positions on their HS teams. If things weren't going as they liked they just changed schools. Now this has gone up a level.

Never heard my fathers axiom---------" The only time you start on top is when you dig a hole "

Reactions: bac2therac
Does that 30 only include HS recruit?
Are people guessing at including walk-ons?
For example, does HC Pike get to include Cam Spencer or Fernandes as a graduate?
What about Hyatt?

If it’s only HS recruits - that’s not too bad 2 a year.

Looking at HC Pike:
Class 2023: 2 at best(Gavin left. Davis and Obgole still here)
Class 2022: 0 - Chol, Woolfolk and Simpson left
Class 2021: 0 - Jalen Miller left
Class 2020: 2 - Mag and Clif? Jaden Jones and Reiber left
Class 2019: 2 - Oskar and Mulcahey
Class 2018: 2? Caleb and Ron? Did RHJ graduate or leave early? He tried to leave early. Mathis and Shaq Carter left early
Class 2017: 2 - Geo and Myles. Mensah and Doucoure left.
Class 2016: 0? Did Eugene graduate before transferring) Thiam and Bullock left.

My rough (and likely incomplete) has 10 HS recruits graduating in 8 years.
That assumes Davis and Ogbole don’t leave.

We already know at least 2 of the 5 Class 2024 recruits aren’t graduating here.

Scholarship players that have graduated while Pike's been coach:
2017: N. Johnson (grad transfer)
2018: Freeman, M. Williams, Sa
2019: Doorson
2020: Carter
2021: M. Johnson (grad transfer), Young (grad transfer), Doucoure (grad transfer)
2022: Harper, Baker, Agee
2023: McConnell, Mulcahy (grad transfer), Spencer (grad transfer)
2024: Hyatt, Palmquist, Omoruyi (grad transfer), Mag (grad transfer)

Looks like 19 over 8 seasons so far.

Can't include guys who came *to* Rutgers as grad transfers, because they graduated somewhere else (and I doubt they completed a grad program in a single year). That'd include Fernandes, A. Williams, Yeboah, and Gettys.

Reactions: dvb91 and NickRU714
And scholarship players who left for other reasons:

NBA Draft:
2018 - Sanders

Dismissed:
2019 - Thiam

Left College:
2022 - Jones

Undergrad Transfers:
2017: Laurent, Diallo
2018: Bullock, Mensah
2019: E. Omoruyi
2020: Kiss
2021: Mathis
2022: n/a
2023: Reiber, Miller
2024: Simpson, Griffiths, Woolfolk, Chol

Student athletes right?
I think he’s counting the team managers and equipment guys 🤔😉

Reactions: Rufaninga

Student athletes right?
Pike is graduating his recrutis at basically the same right.

Either way dont see why its funny

Reactions: RUDivision
I am confused why it’s funny? 30 graduated and 40 are in the NBA so that’s 70 in 15 years. That’s operating at a higher rate than Pike. His 40 in the NBA will make BILLIONS over the course of their careers. Pretty great run at Kentucky I think.

Much of this is the mentality of todays athletes. Many never competed for positions on their HS teams. If things weren't going as they liked they just changed schools. Now this has gone up a level.

Never heard my fathers axiom---------" The only time you start on top is when you dig a hole "

Why focus your criticism on the athletes rather than the system, culture and countless adults who have created and perpetuated a system flooded with money, corruption, illegal behavior and exploitation?

18 is the earliest point these kids have any real chance to make their own, independent decisions.

I remember when I was at RU and UMass was coming to the RAC in 1995. The Targum published a picture of the UMASS starting five (led by Marcus Camby) and their GPAs.

I think the highest one was 2.1.

It’s really easy for anyone to be critical of people who are just trying to pursue a dream. But what of all the people who are along for the ride?

I am confused why it’s funny? 30 graduated and 40 are in the NBA so that’s 70 in 15 years. That’s operating at a higher rate than Pike. His 40 in the NBA will make BILLIONS over the course of their careers. Pretty great run at Kentucky I think.

I agree----not a Cal fan but he did a good job at UK IMO.

I will say this----he'll have to change philosophically from recruiting just HS kids but I'm sure he knows that.

Wow. Can't believe he loves the Governor.... ;-)
In Birmingham, they love the governor
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me, uh-uh
Does your conscience bother you? Tell the truth

Scholarship players that have graduated while Pike's been coach:
2017: N. Johnson (grad transfer)
2018: Freeman, M. Williams, Sa
2019: Doorson
2020: Carter
2021: M. Johnson (grad transfer), Young (grad transfer), Doucoure (grad transfer)
2022: Harper, Baker, Agee
2023: McConnell, Mulcahy (grad transfer), Spencer (grad transfer)
2024: Hyatt, Palmquist, Omoruyi (grad transfer), Mag (grad transfer)

Looks like 19 over 8 seasons so far.

Can't include guys who came *to* Rutgers as grad transfers, because they graduated somewhere else (and I doubt they completed a grad program in a single year). That'd include Fernandes, A. Williams, Yeboah, and Gettys.
The future will not be the same as the past. There will be very few players graduating from the school they started with. With the way players come and go now, how do you count them as a graduate for your school?

The future will not be the same as the past. There will be very few players graduating from the school they started with. With the way players come and go now, how do you count them as a graduate for your school?
It will definitely be different, but do you count our past JUCO guys as graduates?

If a guy starts somewhere else, then comes to us for his last 2 to 3 years, why wouldn't I consider him a graduate?

But we'll definitely start seeing ing more guys who come for a year and then leave again. Spencer did it, but he graduated here before moving on as grad transfer. But we'll see guys come for a sophomore year and then go somewhere else for their junior year, I'm sure.

Schools may have different standards for granting a degree but using Rutgers as an example a student has to complete 30 of the last 42 credits at Rutgers in order to earn a bachelor's degree. That's been a general requirement for a long time for regular Joe Schmoes including academic transfer students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT