ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW..More and Clear evidence this ref is terrible at her job.

Well.. that is EXACTLY what is needed to show "progress" on the "equity" front. The Big Ten cannot show its commitment to DEI without showing "progress" in numbers of DEI-counting employees.. including officials.

And for all those people (mildone) that insist we get the numbers to PROVE our opinions are valid.. sure, yeah, I'll go right out and file for access to all that data as well as the referee score cards and the score cards for those who score teh referees on their work.

You kinda gotta back up your assertions with something better than, "Look at this one terrible call (that got called back) from a ref I mixed up with someone else because there are so few women refs and I lazily assumed they were the same."

Otherwise, you risk sounding like a raging dumbass. Especially after multiple times repeating the same thing and why your feelz is all the proof necessary.

Reactions: BossNJ
You've seen the quota? The leagues have published it? Or are you speculating about a quota?
Come on. It used to be these guys worked years of high school and then lower levels Div.III, Div. II and FCS while working their way up the ranks. Now one of the women mentioned has been reffing for years, while another one has not. Why did she get the call and not the guys who have put in years of experience? Why did she get in the front of the line? Is she just so head and shoulders above those with years of experience that she makes the jump with her limited experience? What's the merit base here? It's really not hard to figure out what's happening but you can keep on pretending it's not.

Last edited:
Come on. It used to be these guys worked years of high school and the lower levels Div.III, Div. II and FCS while working their way up the ranks. Now one of the women mentioned has been reffing for years, while another one has not. Why did she get the call and not the guys or women who have put in years of experience? Why did she get in the front of the line? Is she just so head and shoulders above those with years of experience that she makes the jump with her limited experience? What's the merit base here? It's really not hard to figure out what's happening but you can keep on pretending it's not.
We know one or more female refs have been promoted quickly. I can agree to that because it's a provable fact.

But that fact doesn't tell us why those refs were promoted quickly. And, so far at least, nobody claiming the reason is a quota has backed it up with any objective facts or logic. It's pure speculation based on a slice of partial information that supports the claim, while ignoring all we do not yet know.

And that's just not a good way to get to the truth of anything.

If you want to be purely objective and logical about it, as I do, then you have to admit there could be any number of possible reasons for promoting certain refs (male and female) more quickly than others. Some legitimate reasons include recommendations from other refs and ratings from leagues or oversight organizations, or a shortage of refs. Some illegitimate reasons could be favoritism, nepotism, bribery, etc.

Without knowing how many male refs have been promoted as quickly as the female refs in question, and without knowing the reasons for why any of the promotions occurred, male or female, we cannot possibly, logically or factually, know the females were promoted quickly due to a quota.

You're free to believe whatever you want. But belief is not proof and is not a substitute for logic. Maybe there's a statement by a conference or league saying "we have established a quota in an effort to increase diversity among refs"? I don't know that such statements don't exist.

If I had any interest in promoting the idea that there's some quota to hire female refs, that's the first thing I'd be looking for. If the leagues are interested in appearing to support diversity, you would think they would publish statements to that effect. Perhaps they exist? I've never given any of this any thought before today, so I have no idea.

I'm not pretending anything. I'm just being logical rather than speculative. I gain nothing by speculating.

After one HS game.

And that is her quote apparently in a link earlier in the thread.

We know one or more female refs have been promoted quickly. I can agree to that because it's a provable fact.

But that fact doesn't tell us why those refs were promoted quickly. And, so far at least, nobody claiming the reason is a quota has backed it up with any objective facts or logic. It's pure speculation based on a slice of partial information that supports the claim, while ignoring all we do not yet know.

And that's just not a good way to get to the truth of anything.

If you want to be purely objective and logical about it, as I do, then you have to admit there could be any number of possible reasons for promoting certain refs (male and female) more quickly than others. Some legitimate reasons include recommendations from other refs and ratings from leagues or oversight organizations, or a shortage of refs. Some illegitimate reasons could be favoritism, nepotism, bribery, etc.

Without knowing how many male refs have been promoted as quickly as the female refs in question, and without knowing the reasons for why any of the promotions occurred, male or female, we cannot possibly, logically or factually, know the females were promoted quickly due to a quota.

You're free to believe whatever you want. But belief is not proof and is not a substitute for logic. Maybe there's a statement by a conference or league saying "we have established a quota in an effort to increase diversity among refs"? I don't know that such statements don't exist.

If I had any interest in promoting the idea that there's some quota to hire female refs, that's the first thing I'd be looking for. If the leagues are interested in appearing to support diversity, you would think they would publish statements to that effect. Perhaps they exist? I've never given any of this any thought before today, so I have no idea.

I'm not pretending anything. I'm just being logical rather than speculative. I gain nothing by speculating.
There is not one Rutgers poster who has witnessed what is transpiring in sports today who can say it’s ok . To not use a qualified person to referee or umpire at major levels is terrible. I’m all in for whomever but they damn well better be trained properly and fully tested in the lower levels of the sport.

After one HS game.

How do you know she didn't sleep with someone to get promoted? Or maybe her dad paid someone off. Both things that have nothing to do with diversity or quotas.

People can speculate and assume whatever. Without proof, it's all BS.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Angry bitter old man response. ‘83.. lol

093995_dr-rachel-levine.jpg

How do you know she didn't sleep with someone to get promoted? Or maybe her dad paid someone off. Both things that have nothing to do with diversity or quotas.

People can speculate and assume whatever. Without proof, it's all BS.
How about the previous linked B1G video on DEI when covering the topic?

After one HS game.

She said it was her only varsity high school football game, but a few articles make it sound like she officiated multiple high school football games... Maybe she reffed JV and/or freshman games.

To be accurate, it turns out we had a female referee in our Michigan game as well, so that makes 4 games this season so far. (My initial post said 3 games based on the box scores)...

Although she's not listed as being one of the refs in the game box score, Amanda Sauer-Cook WAS the Center Judge in our Michigan game. She looks like the referee we had in last year's Nebraska game who was previously mentioned in the thread by another poster as being "terrible", and she has the same assignment of "center judge".. She was the first female Big Ten ref.

Amanda-Sauer-2.jpg

Last edited:
You kinda gotta back up your assertions with something better than, "Look at this one terrible call (that got called back) from a ref I mixed up with someone else because there are so few women refs and I lazily assumed they were the same."

Otherwise, you risk sounding like a raging dumbass. Especially after multiple times repeating the same thing and why your feelz is all the proof necessary.
You should not assign me assertions that I did not assert. (That was OP, whoever that was). So.. if you are concerned about someone looking like a dumbass.. go look in your mirror.

After one HS game.

Here is the quote: “My first varsity high school game, well, my only varsity high school game, there was a little fight among the players,”
She goes from working one HS varsity game to being recruited by Conference USA?
How does that happen? That's unheard of. Going from one HS varsity game to D1?

Reactions: koleszar
Thanks for posting. Some good info there on the backgrounds of these women.
But there was something that concerned me. Ms. Nelson, who is a B1G 10 official and in the NFL development program, says in the article that she only refereed one high school varsity game in her career. I've been around high school sports for about 60 years and I never heard of someone going from one high school game into the college ranks.

LOL. I think we all know why she's being promoted. Two reasons.

If only it was leveling the playing field. It is destroying the scoreboard and declaring a victor with no game being played.

Supporting opportunity scholarships and school funding and vouchers for private schools.. that is "leveling the playing field". Supporting affirmative action in entry-level jobs is "leveling the playing field".

In this case of female refs, leveling the playing field would be to support the hiring of female refs to lower levels... where they can be trained and the best can go on to higher levels until, eventually, ending up a Big Ten, SEC and even an NFL official.

Instead, what we have is female officials being spread around the crews so TV can show how woke and how supportive of "equity" that the Big Ten, SEC and NFL are.

That's not leveling the playing field. That is saying the appearance of supporting "equity" is paramount. More important than fairly and competently officiated games.

Bingo.

You should not assign me assertions that I did not assert. (That was OP, whoever that was). So.. if you are concerned about someone looking like a dumbass.. go look in your mirror.
You're confused, as usual, but sorta right about one thing: You didn't actually supply that evidence. That was the OP.

You did, however, make plenty of assertions, with nothing backing them up ... and, yet again, more posts with no attempt at evidence.

Dumbass, you.

She said it was her only varsity high school football game, but a few articles make it sound like she officiated multiple high school football games... Maybe she reffed JV and/or freshman games.
Not sure if it still is but most crews who worked Friday night/Saturday varsity games would come back on Monday for the JV. Anyone who has ever officiated high school sports will tell you that there is no comparison between reffing a varsity and a freshman game.
Also it sometimes takes many years for a guy to move up from frosh to varsity HS games. She does one varsity game and she gets a job in D1?

I don’t see folks making threads for hunting down every game that certain crappy male refs have called over the last few years. And we all know there have been horrible refs - much more egregious calls than most of what has been brought up here. But above all that, all of them are human. They’re going to make mistakes, even the best ones. That’s part of life.

So there’s a 4 page thread about a missed call by a ref in a game we won by 49…

Just make sure you bring this same energy when a guy misses a call…

Also not surprising that our resident angry boomers/ce board loons are the ones with the biggest problem… go figure

If there was ever a better example of an identity hire, the worthless dude is it…almost as bad as the stupidest woman of color vp who makes an ass of herself (I think she’s a she) every day!
Triggered racist @$$hole alert

Now do the orange criminal, McCarthy, Gaetz, Boebert, Greene.. I could go on and on for days. What’s their excuse for being worthless pieces of $h!t?

Last edited:
I don’t see folks making threads for hunting down every game that certain crappy male refs have called over the last few years. And we all know there have been horrible refs - much more egregious calls than most of what has been brought up here. But above all that, all of them are human. They’re going to make mistakes, even the best ones. That’s part of life.
The mistakes should be made like every one else does...on the way up. And yes, they have. the threads on officiating.

You don't solo in a Cessna and go fly for United the next day. Spirit maybe. LOL

Last edited:
I am not going to engage directly in this argument as I do not know whats true as far as the relative merits of these refs.

However. IF it is true that some female refs are being promoted much more quickly than male refs....IF that is true = its not a good thing - in various ways.

Aside from being unfair to the men that are getting promoted over...

Aside from being not good for the sport to have less experienced/ qualified officials.,,,

IF this is true...

in the long term, its not a good thing for the female refs - it erodes their credibility. Have them go through the training... expedite the training in some way if they want to incorporate more female refs more quickly. but throwing less experienced/ under-trained female refs into D1 games (IF that is in fact what is going on) is not doing them any favors in the long run

I think you're missing the point, intentionally.

I am not going to engage directly in this argument as I do not know what's true as far as the relative merits of these refs.

However. IF it is true that some female refs are being promoted much more quickly than male refs....IF that is true = it's not a good thing - in various ways.

Aside from being not good for the sport to have less experienced/ qualified officials.,,,

IF this is true...

in the long term, its not a good thing for the female refs - it erodes their credibility. Have them go through the training... expedite the training in some way if they want to incorporate more female refs more quickly. but throwing less experienced/ under-trained female refs into D1 games (IF that is in fact what is going on) is not doing them any favors in the long
run.
Yep, to this last part.

I am not going to engage directly in this argument as I do not know whats true as far as the relative merits of these refs.

However. IF it is true that some female refs are being promoted much more quickly than male refs....IF that is true = its not a good thing - in various ways.

IF this is true...

in the long term, its not a good thing for the female refs - it erodes their credibility. Have them go through the training... expedite the training in some way if they want to incorporate more female refs more quickly. but throwing less experienced/ under-trained female refs into D1 games (IF that is in fact what is going on) is not doing them any favors in the long run

And you've laid out the problem with any affirmative action. It causes the appearance that everyone sharing the attribute of the unearned promotion that they are unqualified too.

Last edited:

That guy STILL has that typo in his name.

The issue is she is being promoted, to fill a woke agenda and is not qualified, she reffed 1 HS game!
Clearly she was not trained up properly and doesn’t have the talent to make up for the lack of training, that is observable.

• Haha

IF this is true...

All of these are good points however not sure what the mandatory requirements to become a BIG Official. Without knowing it becomes like everywhere else with regards to subjectivity & discretionary hiring.

Reactions: socaldave
You're confused, as usual, but sorta right about one thing: You didn't actually supply that evidence. That was the OP.

You did, however, make plenty of assertions, with nothing backing them up ... and, yet again, more posts with no attempt at evidence.

Dumbass, you.
And your assertions that these female refs are absolutely perfect refs.. no worse than the men? Where's your data? No one here is capable of getting the data. It is all opinion. Pretending that you need to produce the data in order to have an opinion.. a guess.. it is just stupid.

I have shown that DEI in Big Ten officials is a real thing. This means these female officials do not have the same background as the male officials. Futhermore, how many have played even HS football?

The Big Ten (and I'm sure the NFL as well and other conferences) has made a concerted effort to "diversify" the ranks of officials with female officials. They cut corners to do so.

Now your other assertion that male referees have made bad calls as well... what does that even mean? If a crew of 7 on-field officials has 1 female (and not every crew has one), then you are comparing the calls of over anywhere from 90%-100% of male officials over decades of your memory to what has been observed from a couple female officials this season.

And you think some bad and/or biased calls by male officials over the years means the female officials are just fine. You are basically saying the female officials are as bad as the bad male officials..

I'm sorry, you lose the right to call anyone a dumbass, dumbass.

And your assertions that these female refs are absolutely perfect refs.. no worse than the men? Where's your data? No one here is capable of getting the data. It is all opinion. Pretending that you need to produce the data in order to have an opinion.. a guess.. it is just stupid.

I have shown that DEI in Big Ten officials is a real thing. This means these female officials do not have the same background as the male officials. Futhermore, how many have played even HS football?

The Big Ten (and I'm sure the NFL as well and other conferences) has made a concerted effort to "diversify" the ranks of officials with female officials. They cut corners to do so.

Now your other assertion that male referees have made bad calls as well... what does that even mean? If a crew of 7 on-field officials has 1 female (and not every crew has one), then you are comparing the calls of over anywhere from 90%-100% of male officials over decades of your memory to what has been observed from a couple female officials this season.

And you think some bad and/or biased calls by male officials over the years means the female officials are just fine. You are basically saying the female officials are as bad as the bad male officials..

Mike Drop !!!!!!

• Haha

No one anywhere on this thread even remotely suggested “
that these female refs are absolutely perfect refs
Perhaps you should consider getting your facts straight before prefacing your long didactic dissertation with such a ridiculous claim. You lost all reasonable people after the first sentence champ.

Reactions: fsg2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT