ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW..More and Clear evidence this ref is terrible at her job.

Truly shocked this thread turned into angry Magats yelling at the sky.

Can't remember ever having a thread dedicated to a single ref before ... wonder why.
Then you haven't been on the basketball board much have you? Throughout the years there have been a number of threads regarding terrible officiating.
Burr, Higgins, Boroski just to name a few. As for your wonder why those three all had something in common: They were all old white guys.
Everything isn't always about agendas.

Then you haven't been on the basketball board much have you? Throughout the years there have been a number of threads regarding terrible officiating.
Burr, Higgins, Boroski just to name a few. As for your wonder why those three all had something in common: They were all old white guys.

No, I haven't. I don't watch much basketball.

And the fact you have to use the BB board affirms that it doesn't happen here on the FB board.

No, I haven't. I don't watch much basketball.

And the fact you have to use the BB board affirms that it doesn't happen here on the FB board.
I'm sure it has but the basketball threads came to my mind first. I can only speak for myself but for all officials it's about competency. Right now she isn't very good. Maybe she'll grow and improve. Hopefully that'll happen.
Once again it's not always about agendas.

I'm sure it has but the basketball threads came to my mind first. I can only speak for myself but for all officials it's about competency. Right now she isn't very good. Maybe she'll grow and improve. Hopefully that'll happen.
Once again it's not always about agendas.

Not always.

it doesn't happen here on the FB board.
Go to the "search" at the top of the page. Type in the word "referee" and see how many threads appear on the football board about officiating. Complaining about referees is an art form for RU fans. Not only do we go after individual officials but sometimes condemn full crews.

Reactions: newell138
We've had a female official in 3 of our games so far this season, according to the box scores.. All have been officiating for a while... Here are a few links and also a few more screenshots of the TD that was overruled which might be slightly clearer than the image in the original post.

LaShell Nelson was the Side Judge for the Rutgers-Temple game.
https://www.thegazette.com/news/fir...also-has-full-time-job-in-financial-services/

Krystle Apellaniz was the Field Judge for the Rutgers-Virginia Tech game.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-who-krystle-apellaniz-female-xfl-referee-s-career-explored

Nicole Randolph was the Field Judge for the Rutgers-Wagner game.
https://www.semoball.com/story/2644400.html

Eight Women Make History as the First All-Female Officiating Team for the Hula Bowl

"All eight women are with the NFL’s Mackie Development Program, which trains college-level officials for the NFL. They participate in training camps, attend clinics, and officiate NFL preseason games and all-star NCAA matches like the Hula Bowl. The program emphasizes diversity, and officials are chosen from over four thousand candidates, according to the NFL operations website. At the conclusion of a season, the officials are assessed on their abilities, with the potential of moving up to positions in the NFL."

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
We've had a female official in 3 of our games so far this season.. All have been officiating for a while... Here are a few links and also a few more screenshots of the TD that was overruled which might be slightly clearer than the image in the original post.

LaShell Nelson was the Side Judge for the Rutgers-Temple game.
https://www.thegazette.com/news/fir...also-has-full-time-job-in-financial-services/

Krystle Apellaniz was the Field Judge for the Rutgers-Virginia Tech game.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-who-krystle-apellaniz-female-xfl-referee-s-career-explored

Nicole Randolph was the Field Judge for the Rutgers-Wagner game.
https://www.semoball.com/story/2644400.html

Eight Women Make History as the First All-Female Officiating Team for the Hula Bowl

Thanks for posting. Some good info there on the backgrounds of these women.
But there was something that concerned me. Ms. Nelson, who is a B1G 10 official and in the NFL development program, says in the article that she only refereed one high school varsity game in her career. I've been around high school sports for about 60 years and I never heard of someone going from one high school game into the college ranks.

Last edited:
Go to the "search" at the top of the page. Type in the word "referee" and see how many threads appear on the football board about officiating. Complaining about referees is an art form for RU fans. Not only do we go after individual officials but sometimes condemn full crews.

As I said, no threads about 1 specific referee ...especially about a call that was ultimately overturned correctly.

The difference here is for the men, there was never a suggestion that they were undeserving of their job. Even though they were categorically horrible. Boroski being the most obvious example. Most of the criticism here is purely agenda driven by the usual suspects on the CEsspool.

Reactions: fsg2 and RAHWAYBOB
So you're saying there are TWO female refs that make so many bad calls each that fans think they're the same person? LOL. That's some evidence of hiring for the wrong.
I’m not saying anything besides the picture of his proof wasn’t clear at all and was looking for more clear evidence she stunk. Like I also said there were a number of blown calls in the game. I had a feeling the OP was confusing her with the ref from the Temple game and I was correct.

So she only refs Rutgers games?
Have you watched any other B1G games this year?
this is our 5th game of the season, so there's been more than 50 plus B1G games so far this season.
She is a MAC ref not a BIG ref, and if she happened to do another BIG game I watched, I didn’t notice her either way. Please expand on all of the horrible calls you have seen her make on another BIG game, I am all ears.

Reactions: BossNJ
She is a MAC ref not a BIG ref, and if she happened to do another BIG game I watched, I didn’t notice her either way. Please expand on all of the horrible calls you have seen her make on another BIG game, I am all ears.
Ok I digress your support of her is plain to see.
I have seen her before, let me see now of all the games I've watched over the past 5 weeks, I wonder how many that is now? Hard to say.
We can agree to disagree about this ref and her calls.

Regardless of what’s between the legs, this particular ref has made so many terrible calls this year in the Big Ten that it’s noticable, I agree with the OP, anyone who has watched any significant amount of football (enough to be qualified to ref an NCAA FBS game) would have called the guy down at the 1.

As I said the picture is misleading. And I watched it over and over on TV before I made the statement. Because I knew that's the first thing someone would say and two posts later.. there it is.
Ball on right hand is exactly correct and even farther from the line.
Woman ref because that's what she is and her distinguishing feature. You know like the short ref, the bald ref, etc. Period.
And.. if you saw her last game this isn't a one off and the purpose of calling her out.
And...in all fairness the other dope ref up the field called in inbounds..she actually looks up the field to him before calling the TD.

Is there an officials shortage?
What do they make?
No … everyone knows the why’s and how comes? Have you watched TV lately? Going out of one’s way to attempt to sway public support of an agenda literally waters down the effort or this goal to revamp a global world where people are all on the same level. How many people actually believe that’s for the best? It all sounds good until it impacts someone of a higher status.People who work hard , respect each other’s voice and property should be able to rise to a level everyone values.

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
No … everyone knows the why’s and how comes? Have you watched TV lately? Going out of one’s way to attempt to sway public support of an agenda literally waters down the effort or this goal to revamp a global world where people are all on the same level. How many people actually believe that’s for the best? It all sounds good until it impacts someone of a higher status.People who work hard , respect each other’s voice and property should be able to rise to a level everyone values.No issue with female refs or umpires if they can do the job. Same in business… school … and in leadership areas.

But there was something that concerned me. Ms. Nelson, who is a B1G 10 official and in the NFL development program, says in the article that she only refereed one high school varsity game in her career. I've been around high school sports for about 60 years, and I never heard of someone going from one high school game into the college ranks.
That is interesting.

There is DIII and NAIA way before P5.

I wonder how long it takes a MLB umpire to make the Show, let along AAA (which is basically what the P5 is now)?

Last edited:
No … everyone knows the why’s and how comes? Have you watched TV lately? Going out of one’s way to attempt to sway public support of an agenda literally waters down the effort or this goal to revamp a global world where people are all on the same level. How many people actually believe that’s for the best? It all sounds good until it impacts someone of a higher status.People who work hard , respect each other’s voice and property should be able to rise to a level everyone values.
Another old guy “Get off my lawn” rant.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
I have seen her before, let me see now of all the games I've watched over the past 5 weeks, I wonder how many that is now? Hard to say.
Again - I do not have an opinion on her either way. I saw one call that she made that was wrong. I can say that I beleive the woman you are speaking of is another ref that happens to be a Big 10 ref, which I would agree with you, she is horrible. This ref I have not seen enough of to make and educated opinion.

Reactions: Bagarocks
All this is happening at the same time there is a movement to not penalize low test scores, not being punctual.. basically, elevating people to positions they did not earn and responsibilities they have not proved they can handle, all in the name of "equity". Show me highly accomplished and professional women and people of color who are not succeeding and prove there is a need for "equity".

Opportunity? Yeah.. there is still work to be done there. Opportunity to LEARN. Opportunity to establish a professional reputation. But "equity" of outcomes?

The people pushing this should be forced to fly with "equity" pilots in planes maintained by "equity" mechanics and managed by "equity" airline execs using software programmed by "equity" programmers. Same for doctors and hospitals and surgeries... they largely live in "equity" cities.. how's that working out?

Oh.. you left out Valentine.. you bigot!

Reactions: colbert17
But there was something that concerned me. Ms. Nelson, who is a B1G 10 official and in the NFL development program, says in the article that she only refereed one high school varsity game in her career. I've been around high school sports for about 60 years and I never heard of someone going from one high school game into the college ranks.
Getting high school officiating assignments or lack of at times can be political or money related. If they add another referee to the mix you are taking money out of someone's pocket when he/she is assigned a game. I have almost 15 years experience officiating swim meets including being head official and starter up to the junior olympic level with invites to officiate USA nationals. Yet I couldn't sniff a high school assignment because, as I said earlier, I would be taking money out of someone's pocket who otherwise may have been assigned.

As I said, no threads about 1 specific referee ...especially about a call that was ultimately overturned correctly.
I'm shocked Jerry McGinn never had his own thread. Every Big Ten fanbase sighs when they see him take the field.

Getting high school officiating assignments or lack of at times can be political or money related. If they add another referee to the mix you are taking money out of someone's pocket when he/she is assigned a game. I have almost 15 years experience officiating swim meets including being head official and starter up to the junior olympic level with invites to officiate USA nationals. Yet I couldn't sniff a high school assignment because, as I said earlier, I would be taking money out of someone's pocket who otherwise may have been assigned.
I also officiated HS sports for over 30 years but basketball. I have never heard of anyone officiating in sports like baseball, basketball and football at the college level after working just one HS game at the varsity level.

Neo-Marxist equity - competence don't matter
There are good refs sitting home
Wait until Latoshanika from Bronx CC is flying your plane
Too many Sullys

That's part of the problem. There is a rush to push the whole DIE idea that this can result in people being put in situations which they are not ready for. Most of the female officials look like they're pretty young so where did they get all the experience to ascend to these positions so rapidly?

This shit is going on all over the place especially in corporate America where group think is strongest. I recently left my corporate job because the only ones getting promoted were women. Not because they had more experience or were better than the men, nope it was because all these companies were embracing DEI and ESG. All these newly promoted women wanted to make their marks so came up with all sorts of busy work to push down on those be low them to show the bosses how effective they are. Yes, the DEI push in airlines is going to have disastrous effects. Happy flying!

or being told you had to hire certain groups, anything but the white men. it's real

that's really sad to say isn't it. Not the best candidates we have but the chosen over the deserving.

Women shouldn't ref men's games. It's that simple.

So you're saying there are TWO female refs that make so many bad calls each that fans think they're the same person? LOL. That's some evidence of hiring for the wrong reasons.

Well it's 2023. No one hires based on ability anymore.

You mad, bros? 😀

Nothing funnier than watching scared old white dudes crying "unfair" about leveling the playing field. Because it's only now that race or gender is a factor in hiring trends? Surely that never happened before in the history of the nation.

I mean, not all too long ago, when it was mostly only white males getting all the jobs, every employee everywhere was 100% competent, amirite? That wasn't unfair at all. Noooooo. 😂😂

Well, the woman referee in the nebraska game last year was terrible . I mean really terrible and Greg fired gleeson 2 days later.

Plum was all over it

You mad, bros? 😀

Nothing funnier than watching scared old white dudes crying "unfair" about leveling the playing field. Because it's only now that race or gender is a factor in hiring trends? Surely that never happened before in the history of the nation.

I mean, not all too long ago, when it was mostly only white males getting all the jobs, every employee everywhere was 100% competent, amirite? That wasn't unfair at all. Noooooo. 😂😂
Usual suspects… Kudos for putting them in their place.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
You mad, bros? 😀

Amazing how you can actually see thru the monitor.

You're like a superhero or sometin' with those magic skills.

Thanks for hanging with us.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Hmmm.. think she fudged a resume somewhere? Was once asked to handle chains at her kids' game?

Nothing funnier than watching scared old white dudes crying "unfair" about leveling the playing field. ...
If only it was leveling the playing field. It is destroying the scoreboard and declaring a victor with no game being played.

Supporting opportunity scholarships and school funding and vouchers for private schools.. that is "leveling the playing field". Supporting affirmative action in entry-level jobs is "leveling the playing field".

In this case of female refs, leveling the playing field would be to support the hiring of female refs to lower levels... where they can be trained and the best can go on to higher levels until, eventually, ending up a Big Ten, SEC and even an NFL official.

Instead, what we have is female officials being spread around the crews so TV can show how woke and how supportive of "equity" that the Big Ten, SEC and NFL are.

That's not leveling the playing field. That is saying the appearance of supporting "equity" is paramount. More important than fairly and competently officiated games.

Which female ref are you referring to? See post above - RU has had female refs in 3 games this year (all different).

Truly shocked this thread turned into angry Magats yelling at the sky.

Can't remember ever having a thread dedicated to a single ref before ... wonder why.
Because that particular ref - male, female, she/he/her/him/it/iz/ez/whatever or otherwise - SIMPLY IS NOT GOOD AT THEIR JOB (and likely was brought up to the FBS ranks too soon). Pretty simple.

Because that particular ref - male, female, she/he/her/him/it/iz/ez/whatever or otherwise - SIMPLY IS NOT GOOD AT THEIR JOB (and likely was brought up to the FBS ranks too soon). Pretty simple.
Right. So let’s say that and leave it at that.

Just like you would if they were a crusty old white male. Because after all, white men couldn’t possibly be unqualified for the job they have amiright??

Which one? Many here seem to be combining different refs together.
Both female officials who have reffed games of ours this season have sucked. Coincidence, sure, but it IS noticeable and something to be discussed IMHO. As others have noted: are they simply being promoted too soon? I'm all for females officials, have ZERO issue with it, BUT let's not cut corners to bring them up faster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT