ADVERTISEMENT

Officials were awful

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
The woman referee was terrible. Two bad calls , including killing a second quarter drive . Again in the second quarter, the field judge with the offensive pass interference call that negated a big gain . Completely bogus and needs to be looked into by the league.
the late hit didn’t need to be called but they’re gonna call that every time on the opposing sideline .
THe BIG referees absolutely screwed us last night . But still no excuse to lose to that team in our building . We continue to be at rock bottom . Sad stuff

W
The woman referee was terrible. Two bad calls , including killing a second quarter drive . Again in the second quarter, the field judge with the offensive pass interference call that negated a big gain . Completely bogus and needs to be looked into by the league.
the late hit didn’t need to be called but they’re gonna call that every time on the opposing sideline .
THe BIG referees absolutely screwed us last night . But still no excuse to lose to that team in our building . We continue to be at rock bottom . Sad stuff
We definitely got screwed big time

B1G officials have always had a reputation of being awful, that distinction was well earned over decades of games before we ever joined the conference. The fact is that we did not score on any drives in the second half, not every drive was stopped by bad officiating. Good B1G teams overcome bad officiating and bad teams get swallowed up by it, that has always been the nature of this conference.

Apparently same crew that did the Iowa/Michigan game the other week. Horrendous again.

They didn't even seem sure of the rule where you get the ball at the 25 after kickoff fair catch. And don't get me started on the first half "OPI"
OPI was called more last night than every game I’ve ever seen combined. Only one or two of them were correct too

B1G officials have always had a reputation of being awful, that distinction was well earned over decades of games before we ever joined the conference. The fact is that we did not score on any drives in the second half, not every drive was stopped by bad officiating. Good B1G teams overcome bad officiating and bad teams get swallowed up by it, that has always been the nature of this conference.
Agree not the reason we lost the game . We imploded . But doesn’t mean we weren’t hosed as well

Not blaming them for loss although they didn't help. But they were noticeably awful

OPI calls obviously hurt us, but there was a phantom OPI called on Nebraska too that negated a big gainer for them too. Just really bad stuff

OPI calls obviously hurt us, but there was a phantom OPI called on Nebraska too that negated a big gainer for them too. Just really bad stuff
I have to watch the replay on DVR, but the holding that called us back from the one yard line seemed completely phantom on the scoreboard. Also don't know how that was out on the one, because it looked like he was inbounds until he kicked the pylon.

It really felt at points when we were up 13-0 that the officials were trying to keep the game from getting out of hand.

I think the conference office feels Nebby has a chance to get to 5 wins and wants them considered for a bowl game when some slots don't get filled.

It's a "feel good story" with a interim HC in a program that was good many years ago.

I agree you got screwed. In the 1st half, when you had control of the game, a pancake block flagged and a poor offensive PI call. Directly took points away from you. We had them last week and I do not know how they are officials. It seems like the B1G is trying to prove itself woke instead of competant. I have no problem with a woman being a ref, but damn. Know the rules.

I think the conference office feels Nebby has a chance to get to 5 wins and wants them considered for a bowl game when some slots don't get filled.

It's a "feel good story" with a interim HC in a program that was good many years ago.
Yeah, that's what is is. Lol.

The officiating crew was the same crew that did the Michigan Iowa game last week, and they were equally as bad. They killed a Rutgers drive last night, just as they did last week for Iowa. The chic ref called an Iowa OL for a personal foul because he finished his block (pancaked), and it appeared that she did the same last night to a Rutgers O lineman. Iowa also had a clip called, which the announcers and the video review expert said was not a clip and all agreed the pancake block was a great block and perfectly legal. The offensive pass interference call on Rutgers was complete BS. The league seriously needs to review that crew, as it cost both Rutgers and Iowa points, and those points changed the outcome of the game. I don't know if Iowa would have won the Michigan game, but at the time it was only a 7 point game and they lost by 13, but Rutgers lost by one and that killed drive should have netted them at least a chance at a FG if not a TD.

I know refs get a call wrong once in a while, but in two consecutive weeks, to blow two calls on two different teams killing drives in different games is pathetic.

Last edited:
Grrrrrrl Power. LOL

Rutgers dominated the first half but was only up 13-0. The refs had a lot to do with it , with the phantom Offensive interference call , then coupled with a holding call , killed a drive and a 33 gain that would have led to points. If Rutgers is up 20 -0. That game is over at the half as Greg would have run it all day in the second half the way his defense was playing.
Now the second half, all he has to do is score 3 points in the half . Brown takes a wide run and we pancake a guy and get a bogus incorrect holding call taking away a TD. That would have made it 20-7 again and the game would have been over. Then the unsportsmanlike call on Abraham when he started tackling him in bounds and just got him out of bounds as he was also trying to stop the clock , was totally bullshit . We would have gotten ball back with more time and in better field position.
The penalty yards were 90 but 50 of them were bogus , cost big gains (33 yard pass) ., a Td by Brown , and then the defensive unsportsmanlike costing a better chance to score a field goal .
Now the refs definitely cost or even made it a game but that is not to excuse Gleeson and Schiano for the incredibly shitty coaching and time management. Those 2 coaches should apologize to the players and especially the defense that played well enough to win comfortably.

Almost every drive in the second half was stalled by penalties. Some may have been our fault tough to get going when it’s 2nd and 16 every time. Also 2 really bad spots in a row at midfield stalled a drive. On 2nd and 4 Brown was close but just shy and they marked him a full yard shy. On 3rd it looked like he got over and they marked him short. We should not leave it to the refs to decide and that I agree is on us.

Seems like Nebraska had some marginal calls against them early but they more than made up for it the last 3 quarters. Tough loss. The D played well again. The Offense had some moments but again penalties killed a lot of drives. The OPI on Ryan was the worst of the bad calls.

Rutgers dominated the first half but was only up 13-0. The refs had a lot to do with it , with the phantom Offensive interference call , then coupled with a holding call , killed a drive and a 33 gain that would have led to points. If Rutgers is up 20 -0. That game is over at the half as Greg would have run it all day in the second half the way his defense was playing.
Now the second half, all he has to do is score 3 points in the half . Brown takes a wide run and we pancake a guy and get a bogus incorrect holding call taking away a TD. That would have made it 20-7 again and the game would have been over. Then the unsportsmanlike call on Abraham when he started tackling him in bounds and just got him out of bounds as he was also trying to stop the clock , was totally bullshit . We would have gotten ball back with more time and in better field position.
The penalty yards were 90 but 50 of them were bogus , cost big gains (33 yard pass) ., a Td by Brown , and then the defensive unsportsmanlike costing a better chance to score a field goal .
Now the refs definitely cost or even made it a game but that is not to excuse Gleeson and Schiano for the incredibly shitty coaching and time management. Those 2 coaches should apologize to the players and especially the defense that played well enough to win comfortably.
Agree 100%. Refs really screwed us last night. We were hosed last week too but that wouldn't have changed the outcome (ie OSU 38-RU 16 hypothetically). Last night I believe it absolutely did. Hobbs has to start making it an issue and take it to the B1G officials.

I have enough experience to know that every team's fans think their conference's referees are terrible.

Th throw-down by Keensawn Abraham -- a penalty that cost us any realistic chance of a comeback -- had to be called. It was so blatant the announcers mentioned it when they called the play This is the second straight week in which a Rutgers player committed an obvious penalty out of bounds. This one cost us any realistic chance of a comeback. If it weren't for the penalty, Nebraska would have to have punted with four minutes to go. The team is not playing with discipline, and that is on Schiano.

My guess is that on the Nebraska boards they are saying how bad the refs tried
to screw Nebraska last night. Or maybe the Nebraska fans aren't that stupid.

I have enough experience to know that every team's fans think their conference's referees are terrible.

Th throw-down by Keensawn Abraham -- a penalty that cost us any realistic chance of a comeback -- had to be called. It was so blatant the announcers mentioned it when they called the play This is the second straight week in which a Rutgers player committed an obvious penalty out of bounds. This one cost us any realistic chance of a comeback. If it weren't for the penalty, Nebraska would have to have punted with four minutes to go. The team is not playing with discipline, and that is on Schiano.
Abraham's penalty was unfortunate but on the tackle he was forcing the rb out-of-bounds and his momentum carried the play out-of-bounds. IMO it was more the case of maybe Abraham not aware of how close they were on the sidelines. I don't know that a penalty HAD to be called since it wasn't that Abraham was tackling him while the rb was out-of-bounds, it was an ongoing tackle. It would depend on when the ref blew the whistle. 50/50 call in my book but I knew the flag would go against us.

Reactions: NiTeKnight
Abraham's penalty was unfortunate but on the tackle he was forcing the rb out-of-bounds and his momentum carried the play out-of-bounds. IMO it was more the case of maybe Abraham not aware of how close they were on the sidelines. I don't know that a penalty HAD to be called since it wasn't that Abraham was tackling him while the rb was out-of-bounds, it was an ongoing tackle. It would depend on when the ref blew the whistle. 50/50 call in my book but I knew the flag would go against us.
It was not a question of momentum. Abraham made a new move -- throwing the player down -- when already out of bounds. That's a penalty at any level of football.

Reactions: Rokodesh
The pancake block by Ireland was one of the worst calls I've ever seen on a scoring play. No one and I mean no one, calls that. I'm really not sure what she was watching, Ireland neither grabs, as his hands are inside or turns the DT. He simply drives him into the ground.

It was not a question of momentum. Abraham made a new move -- throwing the player down -- when already out of bounds. That's a penalty at any level of football.
A new move? I didn't see it that way. IF the ref blew the whistle and he continued with the throw down then ok it's the right penalty call. As I said, the whistle was key and I didn't hear it on the TV.

Reactions: NiTeKnight

The on-field officials don't work in the "conference office" and aren't being told by any higher-ups which teams to help. You're giving them too much credit--they weren't making bad calls intentionally, they were just terrible officials.

The phantom pass interference was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in a long time.

Calling it OPI to begin with was criminal, but the major delay in throwing the flag is what really made me lose it.
Yeah just like the phantom ineligible receiver call on the fake field goal that went for a TD in the 2012 Louisville game, the ref didn't even reach for the flag until after the catch was made.

This was my take. In the heat of the moment I don’t think he realized the the Nebraska kid was out of bounds. His foot was so close and Abraham doesn’t have time to look down at where they’re positioned.

That’s a close call most refs won’t make at that point in the game.

It is the same story every week! These officials at least tried hard to make the penalties even out. They are not the reason we lost. For that look at the Offensive Coaches.

The officiating crew was the same crew that did the Michigan Iowa game last week, and they were equally as bad. They killed a Rutgers drive last night, just as they did last week for Iowa. The chic ref called an Iowa OL for a personal foul because he finished his block (pancaked), and it appeared that she did the same last night to a Rutgers O lineman. Iowa also had a clip called, which the announcers and the video review expert said was not a clip and all agreed the pancake block was a great block and perfectly legal. The offensive pass interference call on Rutgers was complete BS. The league seriously needs to review that crew, as it cost both Rutgers and Iowa points, and those points changed the outcome of the game. I don't know if Iowa would have won the Michigan game, but at the time it was only a 7 point game and they lost by 13, but Rutgers lost by one and that killed drive should have netted them at least a chance at a FG if not a TD.

I know refs get a call wrong once in a while, but in two consecutive weeks, to blow two calls on two different teams killing drives in different games is pathetic.
This
Our AD and the Iowa AD need to file complaints with the B1G office now. This incompetency will have Coaches / Fans questioning all games.

ps- The phantom PI call on Ryan happened right in front of me. The Ref waited 5 seconds after Ryan made the catch to pull out the flag…. Suspicious “after the catch”. Amazing . BS Offensive Interference

This was my take. In the heat of the moment I don’t think he realized the the Nebraska kid was out of bounds. His foot was so close and Abraham doesn’t have time to look down at where they’re positioned.

That’s a close call most refs won’t make at that point in the game.
Every ref would make that, it was obvious and incredibly stupid

The pancake block by Ireland was one of the worst calls I've ever seen on a scoring play. No one and I mean no one, calls that. I'm really not sure what she was watching, Ireland neither grabs, as his hands are inside or turns the DT. He simply drives him into the ground.
This was the call that upset me more than any other. This kid did nothing more than finish his block. He did everything right. Kept hands inside drove his legs and finished strong. There is definite bias when it comes to line play in the B1G. An RU linemen could not possibly pancake a Nebraska DL.

Reactions: NBHPRU
Every ref would make that, it was obvious and incredibly stupid

It was stupid he’s gotta know better but also not that a slam dunk penalty that every ref calls at that point of the game imo. The contact was started when he was still in bounds and he stepped out of bounds in the process of getting pulled down. There was never a whistle to call the play dead.

Didn’t help that it happened right in front of the Nebraska team.

Last edited:
No excuse for our 2nd half and the 95- sit you for two games f-up
But the end of the half with the back to back BS- killed us.
I also though in real time- I think the 2nd to last int- it had looked like the D crushed our WR before the int was made.
they called “A” hold on Neb in the 2nd half and I was shocked- they were mugging us all game.
the Lewis late hit- Wtf- was he thinking and the Abraham- as mentioned before- he is good but wouldn’t see the field again if it were me.

it does not excuse the loss as GS/Gleason we’re taken to the woodshed yesterday- but we still should have won it.

It was stupid he’s gotta know better but also not that a slam dunk penalty that every ref calls at that point of the game imo. The contact was started when he was still in bounds and he stepped out of bounds in the process of getting pulled down.

Didn’t help that it happened right in front of the Nebraska team.

Thanks for the excellent replay. 1) It was definitely NOT a new move in throwing the rb down--same continuous tackling action started in bounds and 2) confirms the ref's whistle was after the player was thrown down. There would be no penalty if that occurred in the field of play, and 50/50 call at best as it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT