ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW..More and Clear evidence this ref is terrible at her job.

No one anywhere on this thread even remotely suggested “

Perhaps you should consider getting your facts straight before prefacing your long didactic dissertation with such a ridiculous claim. You lost all reasonable people after the first sentence champ.
wrong. I am not going to go back and quote everyone who equated female refs bad calls to male refs bad calls.. but it is all over this thread. That you would think you could get away with saying the opposite just proves you did not read the thread but just show up to tilt at your windmills.

The mistakes should be made like very one else does...on the way up. And yes, they have. the threads on officiating.

You don't solo in a Cessna and go fly for United the next day. Spirit maybe. LOL
Well I sure hope not . When people attempt to solve a problem with an inferior product that usually does not work out well for the consumer. The adage of “ you get what you pay for” and “ reap what you sow” is exactly why quota’s are BS.

All of these are good points however not sure what the mandatory requirements to become a BIG Official. Without knowing it becomes like everywhere else with regards to subjectivity & discretionary hiring.

we dont know - but I have to assume that the BIG DOES have qualification requirements .... so are they being violated to promote people prematurely? I dont know. I have no idea.

but if it is happening.... not a good thing even for those being promoted IMHO.

I dont know how anyone could logically argue against that.

is that comment (that people should be qualified for a job they are given... particularly one as "important" as a BIG official) a "libtard" or "MAGA freak" (or whatever stupid label either side uses) thing? or, is it simply obvious common sense. I think the latter.

Last edited:
wrong. I am not going to go back and quote everyone who equated female refs bad calls to male refs bad calls.. but it is all over this thread. That you would think you could get away with saying the opposite just proves you did not read the thread but just show up to tilt at your windmills.
Hello… but “equating female refs bad calls to male ref bad calls” is not even remotely the same thing as saying “
that these female refs are absolutely perfect refs
.Maybe consider writing what you mean rather than making ridiculously inaccurate claims.

Reactions: RUChoppin and fsg2
This thread started as a complaint about officiating, turned quickly into an excuse for some folks to spew ideological anti-diversity BS with some sexism mixed in for fun, and is now a full-blow CE board mousewheel crapfest.

Y'all enjoy spinning in circles. 🙂

we dont know - but I have to assume that the BIG DOES have qualification requirements .... so are they being violated to promote people prematurely? I dont know. I have no idea.

but if it is happening.... not a good thing even for those being promoted IMHO.

I dont know how anyone could logically argue against that.

is that comment (that people should be qualified for a job they are given... particularly one as "important" as a BIG official) a "libtard" or "MAGA freak" (or whatever stupid label either side uses) thing? or, is it simply obvious common sense. I think the latter.

I doubt that they are violating their own requirements as it would subject them to potential litigation. My guess is that the requirements are intentionally vague when it comes to previous experience levels.

My own feeling on this is that is it really rocket science to be a football side judge? Would I need 20+ years of experience to do this job, especially in the age of replay reviews? I could probably brush up on the rule book, take a training class and step into this and perform at an acceptable level in fairly short order.

Further - without understanding the hiring practices in the BIG/College ranks its difficult to form an educated opinion. For instance, just because a HS Ref has a lot of experience does it mean they have also been good? Are they rated for competency? Are the best refs coming up through the ranks being hired at a college level or do connections and nepotism come into play?

Point is, that most here would not know the answers and data behind college refs hiring factors nor performance data....but that does not stop them from finger and reference to woke etc.....via pointing at unfair hiring practices simply based on gender.

This thread started as a complaint about officiating, turned quickly into an excuse for some folks to spew ideological anti-diversity BS with some sexism mixed in for fun, and is now a full-blow CE board mousewheel crapfest.

Y'all enjoy spinning in circles. 🙂
The thread started by focussing on female officials.. and is an extension of their threads / mentions of the same topic. It turned into a discussion of DEI because that is why we are seeing more and more female officials (who seem worse than their male counterparts). We did not invent the idea that it is about DEI in order to "spew ideological anti-diversity BS with some sexism mixed in for fun".

If the female officials seemed better than their male counterparts many here would be begging for MORE OF THEM.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2
It follows exactly the original topic which you attempt to defend. Inferior refs/ umps / pilots/ etc. with Inadequate training ,knowledge and actual practical game experience is the fear of many. Why would you let anyone into a position where the outcome matters ? You water down the product and cause some serious issues. Those pushing for allowing any and all because it’s a new world is going to lead to more questions and controversy.

Well I sure hope not . When people attempt to solve a problem with an inferior product that usually does not work out well for the consumer. The adage of “ you get what you pay for” and “ reap what you sow” is exactly why quota’s are BS.
in addition to that, you only exacerbate the underlying issues that lead to stigma, stereotypes and the like. I see so many 'Tokens' any more that it's hard to know who earned what

The thread started by focussing on female officials.. and is an extension of their threads / mentions of the same topic. It turned into a discussion of DEI because that is why we are seeing more and more female officials (who seem worse than their male counterparts). We did not invent the idea that it is about DEI in order to "spew ideological anti-diversity BS with some sexism mixed in for fun".

If the female officials seemed better than their male counterparts many here would be begging for MORE OF THEM.

Again - regardless of any targeted future hires based in DEI, there are currently only 4 Female BIG Refs. The last one hired appeared to be 3-4 years ago. Not sure how that represents "more and more". I was not happy with a few of the calls Lashell Nelson made in the Temple game. But I'm careful not to group all into one big pot of ineptitude based on bad calls by a single person. You appear to be grouping them all together in calling them "worse" without any data.

Reactions: fsg2
There are bad male and females officiating in all sports. I. Believe that is a fair take. Some men are atrocious as are some women. It comes down to learning the sport, watching / playing/ coaching and then proper training in live action of game time experience at lower levels. In their angst to push an agenda the powers that be in sports only want to be able to say” see we’re being progressive and fair.” That’s all they care about. It would be great to hear actual player’s opinions and their take especially since it impacts them more than any fans.

I doubt that they are violating their own requirements as it would subject them to potential litigation. My guess is that the requirements are intentionally vague when it comes to previous experience levels.

My own feeling on this is that is it really rocket science to be a football side judge? Would I need 20+ years of experience to do this job, especially in the age of replay reviews? I could probably brush up on the rule book, take a training class and step into this and perform at an acceptable level in fairly short order.

Further - without understanding the hiring practices in the BIG/College ranks its difficult to form an educated opinion. For instance, just because a HS Ref has a lot of experience does it mean they have also been good? Are they rated for competency? Are the best refs coming up through the ranks being hired at a college level or do connections and nepotism come into play?

Point is, that most here would not know the answers and data behind college refs hiring factors nor performance data....but that does not stop them from finger and reference to woke etc.....via pointing at unfair hiring practices simply based on gender.

I dont disagree with a word you typed. however regarding your statement - "people are forming opinions without knowing a single fact"

welcome to the internet ;)

I dont disagree with a word you typed. however regarding your statement - "people are forming opinions without knowing a single fact"

welcome to the internet ;)
One fact is someone in her own words said she officiated one varsity game before moving up.

Another is the B1G saying we are doing this, getting more women out there, but as @RUInsanity pointed out, being what seems like as vague as possible. Why?

And your assertions that these female refs are absolutely perfect refs.. no worse than the men? Where's your data? No one here is capable of getting the data. It is all opinion. Pretending that you need to produce the data in order to have an opinion.. a guess.. it is just stupid.

I have shown that DEI in Big Ten officials is a real thing. This means these female officials do not have the same background as the male officials. Futhermore, how many have played even HS football?

The Big Ten (and I'm sure the NFL as well and other conferences) has made a concerted effort to "diversify" the ranks of officials with female officials. They cut corners to do so.

Now your other assertion that male referees have made bad calls as well... what does that even mean? If a crew of 7 on-field officials has 1 female (and not every crew has one), then you are comparing the calls of over anywhere from 90%-100% of male officials over decades of your memory to what has been observed from a couple female officials this season.

And you think some bad and/or biased calls by male officials over the years means the female officials are just fine. You are basically saying the female officials are as bad as the bad male officials..

I'm sorry, you lose the right to call anyone a dumbass, dumbass.

Now you're all kinds of confused. I didn't say any of that stuff. I'm not the one in need of data.

I won't call you a dumbass again, though, 'cause now I just kind of feel bad. Drowning in your own illogical word flood.

They definitely wouldn't lmao.

This thread's existence is absolute proof.

I spent most of my time on this thread defending the idea that the OP could be correct. That the calls he noticed by female refs may be indicative of a poor hiring and promoting DEI initiative.

No one has the time or ability to grade all the refs in all the games and then do an analysis of female officials vs male officials. The Big Ten could do it. The Big Ten could make such data available and such replays. They have the "all-30" video which shows the officials and their positions and calls for full games. They could make "highlight" and "lowlight" reels available. They could make individual officials' grades available.

They won't. Of course, they won't. They are making the hires for their own reasons. Why would they want to be graded on their performance in making those decisions? If anything the natural thing for all these Big Ten employees to do is to say it is all going great.. the women are doing great.. better than the men!

Why would anyone with access to such information make it available in any form and cut off their own necks?

In these hires.. how many men are rejected compared to women? Are men who score hire in tests rejected to take women who scored lower? Is the opposite true?

People may be looking at the performance of female officials because of stuff they see going on in games and asking questions about the performances of these DEI hires. To insist they produce facts to back up their opinions or suspicions is just stupid. If the questions and suspicions are uncomfortable.. go tell the Big Ten (and NFL, etc) to settle it all by releasing all the information available.

Men and Women show surprising differences in seeing motion (short version.. both notice motion and direction in as little as a tenth of a second.. but women too 25% to 75% longer).

"To insist they produce facts to back up their opinions or suspicions is just stupid."

Hahahaha ...thanks for summing up your entire side of the debate. Who needs facts when we have the suspicions of such impartial, insightful message board geniuses?

Reactions: BossNJ
If there was ever a better example of an identity hire, the worthless dude is it…almost as bad as the stupidest woman of color vp who makes an ass of herself (I think she’s a she) every day!
If there was ever a better example of a post that would never be made without the protection of anonymity, you’re worthless post here is it.

What the hell does that person have to do with a referee that missed a call? Oh I get it, it’s because the ref is a woman that you have the problem.

She doesn’t have the appearance you’re used to from a ref (a guy) so it must be wrong 😑

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Adding new Ignores 😂 love that feature.
We have some folks who have been indoctrinated to ignore commonsense and science
Very sad times

Last edited:
Adding new Ignore’s 😂 love that feature.
We have some folks who have been indoctrinated to ignore commonsense and science
Very sad times

Yeah, you.

Didn't teach much spelling along the way, I guess.

• Haha
This thread is honestly disappointing. First of all for the simple reason that people are spending this much time complaining about referees which, I get to an extent, but it's just wild to me how overboard some people go regardless of who the referees are. Like do y'all not have better things to do with your time? Lol. Second of all for the quite obvious misogyny happening in an absurd number of replies here. I'm not even going to bother engaging in that stupidity.

Triggered racist @$$hole alert

Now do the orange criminal, McCarthy, Gaetz, Boebert, Greene.. I could go on and on for days. What’s their excuse for being worthless pieces of $h!t?
They are morons too…does not take away from the fact that kh is an absolute waste of skin wholly unfit for the position she was given…I can at least admit most republicans are worthless buffoons…what’s your excuse for being a partisan c*** who supports an admin that make Carter seem like FDR…at least Carter is a principled man!

You are the problem…ponder that and be embarrassed about

"To insist they produce facts to back up their opinions or suspicions is just stupid."

Hahahaha ...thanks for summing up your entire side of the debate. Who needs facts when we have the suspicions of such impartial, insightful message board geniuses?
You offered zero facts for your side.

Lashell Nelson made in the Temple game
She's not the same person who did the Wagner game, correct? If that's true over the past month we've seen two of the four female B1G 10 officials make some pretty bad calls. That's 50%. Great BA in MLB but not so good as an official.
For the record it matters little to me if the officials are male or female as long as they can do a good job. These ladies may turn out to be great officials some day but they probably shouldn't be working P5 games right now. Hopefully they continue to work and improve their craft but at a lower level.
Again you can't deny that at least one of these women was fast tracked when she goes from one HS varsity game to D1 in a single bound.

She's not the same person who did the Wagner game, correct? If that's true over the past month we've seen two of the four female B1G 10 officials make some pretty bad calls. That's 50%. Great BA in MLB but not so good as an official.
For the record it matters little to me if the officials are male or female as long as they can do a good job. These ladies may turn out to be great officials some day but they probably shouldn't be working P5 games right now. Hopefully they continue to work and improve their craft but at a lower level.
Again you can't deny that at least one of these women was fast tracked when she goes from one HS varsity game to D1 in a single bound.

While I agree Lashell made some bad calls in the Temple game you'll have to specify all the bad calls in the Wagner game that the other ref you are referring to (Nicole is her name in case you were wondering). The call during Wagner posted in the OP was debatable so not sure it was even bad.

Also, while I'm no mathematician, I don't think that's how a calculation to find an average works. First you would have to determine the total calls made and then confirm all of the "pretty bad calls" within that data set. Then you would have to do that calculation for each female ref. To be fair you should also compare it against the male ref averages for similar data.
My own anecdotal observation resulted in me not being happy with calls by Lashell. There were a few that were definitely not good IMO. I have no negative observations about any of the other female refs.

To your recommendation of shipping the female refs out to a lower level......if you are doing that, to be fair - you would also have to assess the background and performance of every ref in P5 and ship out the ones who are not adequate nor performing well. Unfortunately currently things do not work that way.

To your recommendation of shipping the female refs out to a lower level......if you are doing that, to be fair - you would also have to assess the background and performance of every ref in P5 and ship out the ones who are not adequate nor performing well.
I'd be all for that , whatever the gender.

No … everyone knows the why’s and how comes? Have you watched TV lately? Going out of one’s way to attempt to sway public support of an agenda literally waters down the effort or this goal to revamp a global world where people are all on the same level. How many people actually believe that’s for the best? It all sounds good until it impacts someone of a higher status.People who work hard , respect each other’s voice and property should be able to rise to a level everyone values.
IDC about gender really. There's another women ref (long ponytail that comes out back of her hat) that's actually running the snap and in the middle of things that does what I think is a great job.

My entire original point was this particular ref. A real Zebra for all I care has made a bunch of really poor calls. FOR AND AGAINST Rutgers. And yes folks. She is not the only one out there,.
There's been plenty of threads on BBall forum about certain terrible men's refs.. Barr, Higgins, the other guy that no longer refs in B1G games.. guess it is easier to call them out when there are only three and you're right near the court.

IDC about gender really. There's another women ref (long ponytail that comes out back of her hat) that's actually running the snap and in the middle of things that does what I think is a great job.

My entire original point was this particular ref. A real Zebra for all I care has made a bunch of really poor calls. FOR AND AGAINST Rutgers. And yes folks. She is not the only one out there,.
There's been plenty of threads on BBall forum about certain terrible men's refs.. Barr, Higgins, the other guy that no longer refs in B1G games.. guess it is easier to call them out when there are only three and you're right near the court.
So exactly why do you hate women?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT