ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 31 Nebraska: Bad Taste

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
An extremely disappointing performance tonight. Team has played 5 bad halves in its last 6. Today took the cake because they had all the advantages in this game and also controlled much of the game but blew it with turnover after turnover after turnover. Foul after foul and the cherry on top was Eugene a terrible foul. Geo was absolutely atrocious. I have defended him all year long. I do not care for excuses. 20 turnovers, this was a team effort in this loss make no mistake about it. Its March. There is no tomorrow. 15-0 run by Nebraska in crunch time...are you kidding me...are you kidding me. No defense. This team did a lot of good this year but today what we saw was unacceptable. The honeymoon is over. Next year its about wins and losses. Currently Rutgers is one of the worst three programs in the Big 10 along with Nebby and Northwestern. If you cannot admit that you are fooling yourself.

Pikiell coached the worst game I have ever seen from him at RU. A few adjustments to go inside but then they got away from it. We ran no offensive sets. We didnt get them in foul trouble. Our defense was soft and fouled everytime. Pike took out Gene and I think Myles before that timeout with RU still ahead...wtf....why????? Going to Doorson late...wtf. Miles outcoached Pike easily and that is never a good thing.

When the end of the season postmortum is written, there will be alot of positives to look at. But thats not the time for this. Its completely within expectations to expect a win tonight and this wasnt the kind of loss where Nebby overwhelmed us, this was RU playing like crap all night long, even when they were winning. Just a bad night for everyone. Yes I am venting but I am extremely angry because this team looks light years away. I do not want to see any NCAA talk..forget about it until this teams shows it can start taking care of business when it needs to in big spots. We have a long way to go. We ended up getting jellied by Nebby at the end of the game. At the end of the day RU was a loser in meltdown fashion in its first round Big 10 game against a team depleted with 6 scholorship players who did not make excuses, they just went out and played.

Year 4 is coming up, we will have to do better than a first round loss to a depleted 13th place team next season. There are signs we can do that...but guess what, the rest of the Big 10 has the same idea.

They deserved to lose today. A hot mess would be the nice way of putting it. Garbage job by Pike today

Bad way to end of year but the season as a whole was a massive improvement. We also don't lose anyone important but Shaq. Don't get caught up in the game by game minutiae when looking at the larger picture.

Lazy passes. Flat play by everyone except Gene. Refs protected Palmer every drive keeping Nebraska close in the first half. No offensive sets entire second half.

Reactions: RC85
Tonight was a total $HIT SHOW! Pikiell should be ashamed of himself the way he coached tonight. HORRIBLE job by him. HORRIBLE! And the kids were pathetic tonight. Twenty damn TO's. Not taking any advantage we had on the inside. Taking stupid shots showing no BB IQ. I am so pissed off. We should have beaten this team by 15 points. Instead we decided to play our worst game of the year next to what we did at Fordham.

God, I am sooooooooooo PISSED OFF right now. I'l calm down later, but this was a total EFF-UP by Pikiell. Shame on you!

Bad way to end of year but the season as a whole was a massive improvement. We also don't lose anyone important but Shaq. Don't get caught up in the game by game minutiae when looking at the larger picture.

the larger picture is we lost 3 straight games playing poorly against 3 teams close to us in the standings. This wasnt PSU or Indy, it was freaking 6 player Nebraska

An extremely disappointing performance tonight. Team has played 5 bad halves in its last 6. Today took the cake because they had all the advantages in this game and also controlled much of the game but blew it with turnover after turnover after turnover. Foul after foul and the cherry on top was Eugene a terrible foul. Geo was absolutely atrocious. I have defended him all year long. I do not care for excuses. 20 turnovers, this was a team effort in this loss make no mistake about it. Its March. There is no tomorrow. 15-0 run by Nebraska in crunch time...are you kidding me...are you kidding me. No defense. This team did a lot of good this year but today what we saw was unacceptable. The honeymoon is over. Next year its about wins and losses. Currently Rutgers is one of the worst three programs in the Big 10 along with Nebby and Northwestern. If you cannot admit that you are fooling yourself.

Pikiell coached the worst game I have ever seen from him at RU. A few adjustments to go inside but then they got away from it. We ran no offensive sets. We didnt get them in foul trouble. Our defense was soft and fouled everytime. Pike took out Gene and I think Myles before that timeout with RU still ahead...wtf....why????? Going to Doorson late...wtf. Miles outcoached Pike easily and that is never a good thing.

When the end of the season postmortum is written, there will be alot of positives to look at. But thats not the time for this. Its completely within expectations to expect a win tonight and this wasnt the kind of loss where Nebby overwhelmed us, this was RU playing like crap all night long, even when they were winning. Just a bad night for everyone. Yes I am venting but I am extremely angry because this team looks light years away. I do not want to see any NCAA talk..forget about it until this teams shows it can start taking care of business when it needs to in big spots. We have a long way to go. We ended up getting jellied by Nebby at the end of the game. At the end of the day RU was a loser in meltdown fashion in its first round Big 10 game against a team depleted with 6 scholorship players who did not make excuses, they just went out and played.

Year 4 is coming up, we will have to do better than a first round loss to a depleted 13th place team next season. There are signs we can do that...but guess what, the rest of the Big 10 has the same idea.

Figured you'd have a short summary after this mess. It was horrible in every way. Inexcusable. Team didn't come to play and I have no idea what the coaching game plan was - to not pound it inside with our size advantage and their foul concerns is mind boggling, which is on the staff. If we don't have a winning record next year, it'll be a disappointment - we're no longer going to get points for just being competitive in Year 4.

Reactions: bac2therac
giphy.gif

Great summary @bac2therac

20+ turnovers. That was a turnover on 1 out of every 3 possessions. 33%! How is that even possible. Just absolutely unacceptable.

Our supposed best player shooting something like 3-25 the last three games. Completely utterly unacceptable.

Tonight was a total $HIT SHOW! Pikiell should be ashamed of himself the way he coached tonight. HORRIBLE job by him. HORRIBLE! And the kids were pathetic tonight. Twenty damn TO's. Not taking any advantage we had on the inside. Taking stupid shots showing no BB IQ. I am so pissed off. We should have beaten this team by 15 points. Instead we decided to play our worst game of the year next to what we did at Fordham.

God, I am sooooooooooo PISSED OFF right now. I'l calm down later, but this was a total EFF-UP by Pikiell. Shame on you!

Still think the Thiam mess had nothing to do with the team's psyche? I don't think it's a coincidence that we played our 2 worst games of the year after that mess. Maybe more went on that we know about.

the larger picture is we lost 3 straight games playing poorly against 3 teams close to us in the standings. This wasnt PSU or Indy, it was freaking 6 player Nebraska

I'm not saying it was a good performance. It was terrible but using the last 3 at the end doesn't make the year a negative. It's an improvement and if you can't see the talent we do have with a year of more practice and think we're getting better then enjoy the negativity.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Rutgers kept forcing the ball underneath hoping to get Nebraska in foul trouble. Instead Nebraska double/triple teamed down low , got the turnover and made Rutgers look very bad all night. It would have been nice to see the guys underneath kick a pass out for a mid-range jumper. With the exception of Harper, the guard play was poor all night. Rutgers played like they expected to win and the end result showed it. Disappointing last game. And why no box and one or double teaming Palmer? No guy should score 30 on Rutgers when his team had no other real options.

Still think the Thiam mess had nothing to do with the team's psyche? I don't think it's a coincidence that we played our 2 worst games of the year after that mess. Maybe more went on that we know about.
No numbers I will not let these kids get away with that as an excuse. Did Thiam throw the ball away numerous times? Did Thiam bounce the ball off his foot two times? Did Thiam throw the ball to the other team 6 times? I don't think so.

Overreaction.

This was maddening and Geo's play was infuriating but we won 7 games which equals the totals of the last 3 years and had very real chances to win more (OT loss, Iowa freak basket, 3 attempts in waning moments against PSU). Indiana has been playing themselves into the NCAA picture and we played them on senior day less than 48 hours after a player was hauled off to jail after a domestic dispute in his on campus apartment. If you don't think there was progress tell that to all the people that filled up the RAC for the most sellouts in 14 years. We had a bunch of guys play like crap and it all flowed from our most important player who KILLED us tonight. All of the turnovers might not show up under Geo on the stat sheet, but his pathetic and tentative play was a direct contributor to a LOT of them. It happens. If we don't have key defections and can add a piece or two in the offseason, we can build off this year's progress.

and you have to question the minutes played by Geo tonight and how Pike was using him..either get him shots or get him out of the game, you cannot have a guy who is a zero on offense and afraid to take shots out there if he is a black hole. Listen the other guards were not the answer either, they all were sloppy. Just no adjustments when you have to make them. Seems like the coaching staff just let things go in this game and assumed we would make plays at the end

Rutgers kept forcing the ball underneath hoping to get Nebraska in foul trouble. Instead Nebraska double/triple teamed down low , got the turnover and made Rutgers look very bad all night. It would have been nice to see the guys underneath kick a pass out for a mid-range jumper. With the exception of Harper, the guard play was poor all night. Rutgers played like they expected to win and the end result showed it. Disappointing last game.

good observation..double and tripled team yet the inability to catch the ball cleanly and kick out killed RU tonight. Our 3 bigs had 3 fouls tonight...something is wrong with that

Reactions: jonS and RUChoppin
At about the 12 minute mark, up 5 points, I had no faith that we'd pull out a win tonight. We should have been up by 15+ at that point if we hadn't just repeatedly handed the Huskers turnover after turnover on a silver platter. And they weren't even really in foul trouble at that point, which meant they lasted just about long enough for foul trouble not to matter anymore.

Sloppy ball, too many mental mistakes and too much bad execution to name.

Disappointing end to the season on three losses, each worse than the last.

Thiam factors in, didnt necessarily want to go there because its an excuse. How much we dont know but life is tough, another learning lesson. Listen Nebby had 3 players go down this week including one suspended from team...they had 6 players rallied from 9 down with 45 seconds to beat Iowa and then came back from 7 despite shooting poorly to just run past RU with no resistance

again excuses do not get you up the standings and into the win column. RU had the lead in this game...not going to buy a Thiam excuse when Nebby goes on a 15-0 towards the end of the game

Just winning tonight would have gone a looong in the finish. Big Iowa win, terrible psu 1st half but huge comeback,near win, throw out Indiana...win first round after sliding down 2 spots...but get a tourney win. Then lose. Ok.

Not this . took it even lower. Not how you finish this year. Really poor job.

Thiam factors in, didnt necessarily want to go there because its an excuse. How much we dont know but life is tough, another learning lesson. Listen Nebby had 3 players go down this week including one suspended from team...they had 6 players rallied from 9 down with 45 seconds to beat Iowa and then came back from 7 despite shooting poorly to just run past RU with no resistance

again excuses do not get you up the standings and into the win column. RU had the lead in this game...not going to buy a Thiam excuse when Nebby goes on a 15-0 towards the end of the game
I can't believe you went there. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE because of Thiam. None. This was a horrendous job by Pike and the players tonight. PERIOD!

We just mentally collapsed this game. Might there have been off the court factors that were partially to blame? Maybe... but, bottom line, the team folded under even the barest pressure tonight.

Then the coaches and players are even softer than I thought. That’s even more disappointing. It’s not like Thiam died or a real tragedy...it was sheer selfish stupidity.. If that’s what this group of guys (players and coaches) is made of them don’t be buying tournament tickets anytime soon.

No numbers I will not let these kids get away with that as an excuse. Did Thiam throw the ball away numerous times? Did Thiam bounce the ball off his foot two times? Did Thiam throw the ball to the other team 6 times? I don't think so.

Your points are silly. Of course Thiam didn't "do" anything, but sports and teams can be very emotional and if a team's psyche is in the shitter (and it certainly looked like it the last 2 games), they will underperform.

and you have to question the minutes played by Geo tonight and how Pike was using him..either get him shots or get him out of the game, you cannot have a guy who is a zero on offense and afraid to take shots out there if he is a black hole. Listen the other guards were not the answer either, they all were sloppy. Just no adjustments when you have to make them. Seems like the coaching staff just let things go in this game and assumed we would make plays at the end
I wanted Geo out of there too but then who were you going to put out there? Montez was pathetic and fouled out. Caleb played A LOT and was in over his head most of the time. Kiss? Please. You can't have Geo playing that tentative and win. Didn't compete on either end of the floor. We cannot win with that type of performance by him now. Maybe with Young next year we'll have a chance and possibly Mulcahy. But in March 2019? Tough and we had the lead very late and still could've survived.

Your points are silly. Of course Thiam didn't "do" anything, but sports and teams can be very emotional and if a team's psyche is in the shitter (and it certainly looked like it the last 2 games), they will underperform.
Sorry numbers but my points are NOT silly. They're very logical. You were the one that made excuses for this poorly coached and played game and I'm knocking down your excuse for why they played so poorly.

I played the game. I can understand the first half. I cannot understand the second half and especially shitting the bed at the end where Nebraska went on a 15-2 run. That my friend is inexcusable.

Thiam is not an excuse. It's reality. It's life. One of their teammates who has been here 3 years was sitting in jail for days, his name all over the news, and may be deported. AND, the incident happened in his on campus apartment so who knows who saw or knows what?

Don't get caught up in the game by game minutiae when looking at the larger picture.
Big picture? We are still far, far, far away from an NCAA bid. However, we might be able to break the 14 yr. streak of losing records next year.

Reactions: soundcrib
We just mentally collapsed this game. Might there have been off the court factors that were partially to blame? Maybe... but, bottom line, the team folded under even the barest pressure tonight.

seems like they got big heads after Iowa...biggest win of the year and best played game and then came how to PSU and were manhandled before having to rally back in the 2nd half but it never had to be like that in that game. Then absolute no show vs Indy and tonight, just disappointing focus, its like they wanted to head back to NYC

its not a good sign that the team regressed last 3 games. Is it a wall...perhaps but this league is not forgiving so it aint going to get easier next season, you need to ride momentum when you have it. No guarantee that RU does not start out 0-10 like PSU.

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
Even with an improved team and season it’s such a bad taste compared to last year with Corey et al leaving it all out there for the final 3 games. The last 3 games this year were laid eggs.
We lost one of the games by 1 point to one of the hottest teams in the league and had multiple chances to win in the final 10 seconds. The 2nd half of a game counts as much as the 1st.

forget about it until this teams shows it can start taking care of business when it needs to
Yeah, this is not going to be easy. I think this year we saw the team prove without a doubt that they could play competitive ball game after game, at home and on the road, against good opponents and okay opponents, and break through and win some games. The next step, and a vital step, is to be able to win games you really should win. We saw it early on but something happened after Miami & EMU and they struggled like crazy to show up against undermanned teams, step on their throats, and keep their foot on the gas. BU... Fordham... Columbia... Maine... poor but good enough performances at PSU and NW... and now tonight.

Every... single... team in the NCAA tournament has to win several games they SHOULD win and playing your C game every time will not get you those wins. This team and this program need to learn to do this and it's looking like a major undertaking right now. Maybe maturity will help.

Last edited:
The 4 freshman and Baker need strength and conditioning. We collectively hit the wall. Mathis went from a defensive stud in Bohannon to getting abused by Johnny Trueblood.

We going to blame Pikiell for this?

Caleb played all 19 minutes in 2nd half (I Think) and he had nothing at the end.

Blame Pike for not playing Kiss? Maybe? But Kiss has been.....

Reactions: gregkoko and RUBB86
What was missing tonight and the past few games was that swagger that was so evident 5-6-7 games ago.I also think Rutgers should have pushed the ball far more on offense than they did tonight. They're just not a great half court offense team and when they're running they're far more effective. It also would have drawn more fouls on nebraska.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
My comments:

1.Pike was outcoached badly. Game plan and lack of adjustments sucked.
2. No concerted or consistent effort to get the ball down low to Eugene and / or Myles throughout the entire game.
3.Give Mulcahy the keys right now to run the show.
4. Caleb played way too long. He's limited. Good for 10-15 minutes not beyond that.
5. Did we do anything to try to slow down / defend Palmer during the 2nd half? George - part 2.
6. Baker was in the twilight zone.
7. Ball Protection was an atrocity.
8. Kudos to Eugene and Myles - who were the only guys to step up.
9. Stop with Thiam excuses. Don't buy it one bit.

A disgrace to end the season. Miles should give scholarships to the walk ons. And Nebrasks did this getting zilch from Roby.

The 4 freshman and Baker need strength and conditioning. We collectively hit the wall. Mathis went from a defensive stud in Bohannon to getting abused by Johnny Trueblood.

We going to blame Pikiell for this?

Caleb played all 19 minutes in 2nd half (I Think) and he had nothing at the end.

Blame Pike for not playing Kiss? Maybe? But Kiss has been.....
You know Fig, many times I really like your contrarian points of view. And yes, I think the freshmen hit a wall. But I WILL blame Pike for this horrendously coached game. He never took advantage of their lack of substitution. He didn't force the issue inside and got Roby to foul out. He didn't change up the defense to maybe a zone D when they were having trouble hitting their shots. Yes, tonight was on the kids, but it was also on Pike, whom I love as a coach. But tonight, he did a horrible job.

I was one of the few fans that picked Nebraska to win .My reasoning was the team couldn't overcome the heart breaking loss to Penn State and the last two games was unwatchable basketball with no leadership on the court and the offense lacks go to scorers.The coaching staff had no answers to get the team out of sleep walking .

Next season the excuses need to end and a winning season better be the end result.The coaching staff needs to develop a improvement plan for each player because performance won't get better just because players are a year older.No player should be guaranteed a starting position .Recruiting two players in the off season better include front court players that can shoot/score .Floundering in the 60-65 point range won't get the job done in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT