ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball INSTANT REACTION: Rutgers Basketball falls to Michigan State 73-55

Our recruits are going to love playing for Pike. He’ll teach them defense and let them do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball.
I’m sure that’s been the plan all along. You come here for one year and I’ll help you with the D you need for the NBA and give you the keys to the offense..since we don’t really have one anyway.

Reactions: Scangg and bitnez
Our recruits are going to love playing for Pike. He’ll teach them defense and let them do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball.
We’ll have two guys who can create for themselves consistently. Geo could do that much of the time. Ron could. We have nobody like that this year. Last year, even Cam struggled and needed screens and so forth.

‘Having those two guys on the court at the same time will transform all our other players. Other teams will have their hands full and that will free others up, and not just from 3 point land. The two incoming guys have stellar court sense. They can pass in ways nobody can this season. So whoever is on the court with them will be getting the ball in great position.

We’ll have two guys who can create for themselves consistently. Geo could do that much of the time. Ron could. We have nobody like that this year. Last year, even Cam struggled and needed screens and so forth.

‘Having those two guys on the court at the same time will transform all our other players. Other teams will have their hands full and that will free others up, and not just from 3 point land. The two incoming guys have stellar court sense. They can pass in ways nobody can this season. So whoever is on the court with them will be getting the ball in great position.

I agree — I wasn’t being dismissive (if it came across that way).

We're really missing good passing in this team. We forget how good passers players like Paul, Cam and Caleb were.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg

Yes, but can they make their shots?

We’re done by 18…fouls are meaningless, lack of awareness on that end

Not gonna argue with you just explaining why Cliff didn’t challenge there/ foul him to prevent the dunk. It wasn’t just “poor D” as suggested by the person I was responding to.

Should he have fouled him anyway (as you suggest). Yeah maybe.

Yes, but can they make their shots?
Yes. Having time and space makes everybody a better shot. When two players are as dangerous as we’ll have, and with their court sense and ability to pass, everybody else will gain time and space.

Us not having even one guy like that this season makes life easy for our opponents.

RU brass will give Pike a mulligan on this season, especially with the 5 stars coming. Then he needs to deliver, like top 15
For top 15, he’ll need 2-3 good players from the portal. Not sure he’s capable of that.

What i don’t understand is how were we scoring 120 points a game in portugal

What i don’t understand is how were we scoring 120 points a game in portugal

Because we played the equivalent of D-D-III teams.
I said at the time that it was a little weird people were taking anything done overseas and extrapolating from it.

The funniest is that a main criticism is too many new players, not used to playing together, need more time to gel.

Yet the overseas trip was supposed to remedy that by giving the team extra practice time and time to gel?

Just -2 on ORBs, -1 in turnovers, fouls essentially a wash. Pike has ironed out the "giving the game away" stuff from early in the season. Just left with an untalented, timid offensive team that plays losing basketball. Completely rattled during that 19-0 run, any semblance of that fairly effective half court offense gone.

• Sad
Reactions: Scangg
Other than Hyatt, Mag, and A. Williams, we are getting no positive contributions from anyone. Far too much dead weight. A shame Cliff never developed any offensive moves over all these years and is still prone to dumb fouls.

Reactions: RAC93
For top 15, he’ll need 2-3 good players from the portal. Not sure he’s capable of that.

For 2-3 transfers then Ogbole, Chol, Simpson are pushed out.
For every transfer in - send out one of them.
This is after assuming Clif/Oskar are already gone.

Then we are right back to 7-8 new players next year?
Isn't that a big problem this year?

The number isn’t the problem. The players who came in are.

How can you judge Ogbole coming off an injury and not having played a minute yet?

How can you judge Ogbole coming off an injury and not having played a minute yet?

I'm not.
But if people want transfers it's a simple math problem.

Here are the returning players.
2 MUST leave just to bring in the 5 recruits.
For any transfers, another person MUST leave.
People keep talking about all these transfers. We are already facing 5 new players. Every transfer is another.
So over half the team is going to be brand new?

Clif
Oskar
Mag
Simpson
Chol
Ogbole
Davis
Griffiths
J. Williams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT