ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball INSTANT REACTION: Rutgers falls to Mississippi St. 70-60 in Gotham Classic

Derek is a MAJOR recruiting miss
I wouldn’t call him a miss yet, he gave us some quality minutes last year and even took over some games against good competition.

The problem is he is NOT a Geo and shouldn’t be allowed to play as if he is. He a complementary player and can only take over games when he has solid talent around him.

It would be one thing if Simpson was jacking up bricks to the detriment of other good shooters, but this is not the case. Someone has to shoot.

Simpson’s shots would be better served going to Hyatt, Fernandes and Mag. I understand he has to shoot some, but he forced up too many bad shots today.

Reactions: bac2therac
Simpson’s shots would be better served going to Hyatt, Fernandes and Mag. I understand he has to shoot some, but he forced up too many bad shots today.
A lot of the midrange shots are bad but that’s a coaching issue tbh. The open threes.. he has to learn to shoot those well enough for them to be good shots or he can’t realistically play at this level. I don’t think guard who doesn’t take open threes is a role that can exist on a good D1 team.

The SHU win looks like an anomaly, no idea how they beat them as SHU actually looks like they could have a hope at tourney, NIT also possible for them. RU has no post season prospects unfortunately.
We shot 50% from three in that game. If we did that today we would’ve won as well.

Reactions: biazza38
I wouldn’t call him a miss yet, he gave us some quality minutes last year and even took over some games against good competition.

The problem is he is NOT a Geo and shouldn’t be allowed to play as if he is. He a complementary player and can only take over games when he has solid talent around him.

Role player but Pike brought him to be a starter

Thats my issue

Reactions: darkcheck
Simpson looks like a winner until he gets to the basket. Good defense, fast and shifty...but then it all comes tumbling down as he takes some awful shots. Actually surprised that he doesn't draw more fouls. Could be that the other teams have been instructed to let him take the shot based on his inability to get points.

We shot 50% from three in that game. If we did that today we would’ve won as well.

50% from three is not a realistic path for consistent winning. Rebounding, effort, defense and toughness are always there to assist with getting wins if you have those traits as a team. Unfortunately, this group lacks those traits.

50% from three is not a realistic path for consistent winning. Rebounding, effort, defense and toughness are always there to assist with getting wins if you have those traits as a team. Unfortunately, this group lacks those traits.
I didn’t say it was. But your post said you didn’t understand how we beat Seton Hall. We did it by shooting well.

Pike got lucky that Geo and RHJ outperformed their rankings. He CANNOT build a roster. Too enamored with “his” type of guy. Terrible talent. We peaked in the second half vs Houston March 2021
Pikiell emphasis when he took over the program was to first concentrate on defense with mostly 3 star recruits.The scoring came mostly from Sanders and Baker and in later years Harper,Yeboah and Young contributed .The team reached the stage of being a NCAA bubble team in recent years but still lacked consistent scoring.With the departure of Cam,Paul and Caleb this seasons team has lots of flaws on both ends of the court.Fans are hopeful with next years recruiting class Rutgers will finally have multiple scoring threats on the court which should reduce the length of time scoring droughts last.The unknown is whether 2025 recruiting will follow the uptick of 2024 or fall back to previous seasons where far too many recruits turned out to be role players.

The rebounding margin in the SHU game was 3 guys. I know we shot well, but this loss vs that win it’s more about getting absolutely obligated on the glass. We shot well early vs Miss State too. When we were holding our own early with rebounding. Then it fell apart. You can’t sustain great shooting when you play good defense and then can’t secure a rebound.

I didn’t say it was. But your post said you didn’t understand how we beat Seton Hall. We did it by shooting well.

Sorry about that, taking me literally. What I meant to get across with sarcasm is this team is bad, and SHU is actually better, sarcastically saying how did we get a win against them. This team really looks like bottom four Big Ten. I fully understand we shot the three well that night, my point being we have hardly done that this year. Either way, this team was sold as playing fast paced, with improved three point shooting and we really have not seen much of that at all from this group. They’re just not very good and have near zero on court chemistry as a group.

Reactions: cRURah
Sorry about that, taking me literally. What I meant to get across with sarcasm is this team is bad, and SHU is actually better, sarcastically saying how did we get a win against them. This team really looks like bottom four Big Ten. I fully understand we shot the three well that night, my point being we have hardly done that this year. Either way, this team was sold as playing fast paced, with improved three point shooting and we really have not seen much of that at all from this group. They’re just not very good and have near zero on court chemistry as a group.
I mean that’s fair, I wouldn’t call this team a good team. But they aren’t so dreadful they can’t win when playing well. Sometimes they will play well, shoot well, and they will win.

I mean that’s fair, I wouldn’t call this team a good team. But they aren’t so dreadful they can’t win when playing well. Sometimes they will play well, shoot well, and they will win.
Fair enough, they’re dreadful when you measure them up against the standard of being a tourney team or at least being on the bubble. They can win occasional games when they’re shooting is hot and the opponent is off, but the fact that they’ll get crushed on the boards every game is going to cause a lot of losses. I don’t see how they finish with an above .500 record.

• Wow
Reactions: cRURah
Fair enough, they’re dreadful when you measure them up against the standard of being a tourney team or at least being on the bubble. They can win occasional games when they’re shooting is hot and the opponent is off, but the fact that they’ll get crushed on the boards every game is going to cause a lot of losses. I don’t see how they finish with an above .500 record.
Yeah, I mean I’m mostly with you. Maybe slightly less pessimistic; I think they could finish above .500. But unless there is a lot of improvement it is not a tournament team.

Reactions: RAC93
Yeah, I mean I’m mostly with you. Maybe slightly less pessimistic; I think they could finish above .500. But unless there is a lot of improvement it is not a tournament team.

I get what you’re saying about the fact they need to improve. Problem is I don’t think this group has what it takes to improve the rebounding. Without improvement in this area, they will lose more than they win this year. Starts and ends with rebounding. Cliff and Mag combining for 1 rebound is almost comically bad.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I get what you’re saying about the fact they need to improve. Problem is I don’t think this group has what it takes to improve the rebounding. Without improvement in this area, they will lose more than they win this year. Starts and ends with rebounding. Cliff and Mag combining for 1 rebound is almost comically bad.
Yeah. I think they will shoot better than they have so far (almost impossible not to). I expect some improvement in rebounding. But this will always be a bad rebounding team.

Simpson looks like a winner until he gets to the basket. Good defense, fast and shifty...but then it all comes tumbling down as he takes some awful shots. Actually surprised that he doesn't draw more fouls. Could be that the other teams have been instructed to let him take the shot based on his inability to get points.

Also, they are probably aware that Simpson, and ALL the other guards that when they go to the basket do not dish for a dunk/layup or kick out to an open shooter outside. When they drive they do one thing and one thing only, and that’s take a shot. Defense can now just focus on the shot itself which makes the shots our guards take near the basket even more difficult. Rarely do we see a pass…..do they know how to do this??? This is a basic basketball skill, Noah, Simpson and Davis all lack this ability based upon what we’ve seen through 11 games.

Great start to the 1st half
Great finish to the 1st half
2nd half sucked, we bailed with 4 minutes left I think
RU needs a drive a kick PG, a pure shooter and more bull to rebound. Bell destroyed Cliff all game. Cliff is obviously injured.
Met Matt at Redds pregame who said he posts here once in a while. Good dude.

Role player but Pike brought him to be a starter

Thats my issue
Simpson has the skillset to create shots but can't make layups or jump shots on a consistent basis.The roster is filled with role players with Hyatt being the closest Rutgers has to a consistent double digit scorer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT