ADVERTISEMENT

Is it conceivable we have already locked up a bowl bid?

0*z6mvoDhr_lXJ2hkX.jpg

No..nothing is assured. Get to 6 wins and get a B1G Bowl game.
Stay at a 5 wins and run the risk as a pool team and maybe get invited to a crappy low level Bowl vs. the Sun Belt or MAC in early December. Lose many practices as well.

Reactions: Plum Street
We know there are quite a few schools with inflated records because of their inferior competition. This team would most likely be bowl eligible already if we were not in the BIG East.
That said, I think we would probably say yes.

I had no idea that happened.
None whatsoever (and I am NOT a fan of sub-.500 teams getting bowl bids.

Mr. Plam says we are in…. lol

Making a bowl doesn't mean that much anymore, compared to when I was a kid. But don't you think that 5-7, playing in the Big Ten East, is as worthy as 6-6 or 7-5, playing in the ACC or a non-P5 conference? I think it is, given today's low bowl standards.

I personally liked it better when making a bowl meant something. But that's not how it is right now...
Agreed. Add to that if we didn't have to play 9 conference games as well. Just wished outside recognized this stuff. They'll just (hopefully not) see 5 n 7 and not the annual SOS. Cause they're shallow.

Bowl game gives Schianos young group of recruiting classes the opportunity to develop. Also gives Wimsatt extra practices. Schiano would take a 5-7 bowl game in a heartbeat.

Reactions: ruronny
if that is the case, why did we turn it down last year when all teams were bowl eligible?
was it ever even a real option with all the cancellations and opt outs?

Canceled bowls (16): Bahamas, Birmingham, Celebration, Fenway, Frisco, Guaranteed Rate, Hawai'i, Holiday, Independence, LA, Las Vegas, Military, Pinstripe, Quick Lane, Redbox, Sun, tEXAS

Teams that opted out (22): Tennessee, South Carolina, Boise State, Boston College, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU (self-imposed bowl ban), Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Washington, Washington State

Last year we declined .
IIRC, not exactly. After we lost vs. Nebraska to finish 3-6, Schiano stated in the postgame interview that we were done. There is no evidence (to my knowledge anyway) that we were offered a bid. Nor do we know what would GS would have done had we beaten Nebraska to finish 4-5 - in which case we probably would have been offered a bid, but we don't know that either.

IIRC, not exactly. After we lost vs. Nebraska to finish 3-6, Schiano stated in the postgame interview that we were done. There is no evidence (to my knowledge anyway) that we were offered a bid. Nor do we know what would GS would have done had we beaten Nebraska to finish 4-5 - in which case we probably would have been offered a bid, but we don't know that either.
Yes you’re right . We declined the opportunity to say we would go to a bowl if selected . We opted out before we could get selected.

I struggle to believe we deserve to go at 5-7 but that's the darn issue with number of bowls and Greg/team's call IF so. I could see him say yes to reward some guys plus the recruiting effect. Hoping it doesn't come down to this of course.

Do it for the extra practice time.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Boston College has only 8 conference games, wish we had their schedule. We might have 6 wins already.

Just 8 conference games. Easier to get bowl bid.

Last edited:
15 extra practices , if you’re worried about injuries .....
Go with an idea I hate because I want to win every game .....
Starters first half
Second team second half
Everyone who is dressed gets 2 series or more.

everyone seems to forget that was a special day for nw....the 1996 rose bowl team was being honored.........no way in hell were they gonna lose ......pat fitzgerald played in that game.....bye week had nothing to do with it....losing to ru on that special day wasn't going to happen...........the motivation factor was in full effect.

45 Teams with 4 or less wins, *officially eliminated

ACC 3 teams, *GT 3-7, ND, Georgia, not winning both
Duke 3-7, Louisville, Miami, FSU 4-6, @ BC, @ Fla

AAC 5 teams *Tulane 1-9, *USF 2-8, *Navy 2-7, *Temple 3-7
Tulsa 4-6, Temple, @ SMU 8-2

B12 4 teams *Kansas 2-8 TCU 4-6, Kansas, @Iowa St
WVU 4-6, Texas, @Kansas Texas 4-6, @WVU, K.St

B1G 4 teams *Indiana 2-8, NW 3-7, Purdue, @ Ill
*Nebraska 3-7, @ Wisc, Iowa, Illinois 4-6, @ Iowa, NW

CUSA 6 teams, *FIU 1-9, *S.Miss 1-9, Rice 3-7, @ UTEP, La.Tech
La Tech 3-7, S.Miss, @Rice, N.TX 4-6, @ FIU, UTSA, ODU 4-6, @ MTSU, @Char

Independants, 3, *UConn 1-9, *UMass 1-9, *NMSU 1-9

MAC 4 teams *Akron 2-8, BGSU 3-7, @Miami(OH), Ohio
Ohio 3-7, Toledo, @BGSU, Buffalo 4-6, N.Ill, @ Ball St.

MWC 4 teams, *UNLV 2-8, N.Mexico 3-7, @BoiseSt, Utah St
CSU 3-7, @Hawaii, Nevada, Hawaii 4-7, CSU, @ Wyoming

Pac 12 6 teams, *AZ 1-9, *Cal 3-6, @ Stanford, @UCLA, USC, *Stanford 3-7, Cal, ND
*Colo 3-7, Wash, @Utah, USC 4-5, UCLA, BYU, @ Cal, Wash 4-6, Colo, WSU

SEC 2 teams, *Vandy 2-8, LSU 4-6, ULM, TX A&M

Sun Belt 4 teams, *ArkSt 2-8, TxSt. 3-7, C.Carolina, Ark.St
Ga.Southern 3-7, BYU, App St. ULM 4-6, @ LSU, @ULL

130 FBS teams, 84 Bowl spots, 46 out

Total 45 teams 4-6 or worse, San Jose St 5-6 vs Fresno St.
24 teams 5-5, 2 to play
60 with 6 or more wins, clinched

12 G5 teams, 12 P5 at 5-5 that need 1 win to clinch.
Memphis, UNC, Miami, VA Tech, Louisville, Cuse, Md, Rutgers, MTSU, FAU, Charlotte, Kent St, Miami(OH), Toledo, Ball St, Wyoming, Wash. St., Tenn, Missouri, Fla, S.Carolina, Ga. St., Troy, S. Alabama

17 teams eliminated, *(26)*9 G5 teams at 3-7,4-7(Hawaii), behind us even w/ 2 wins*
*(31)5 P5 teams at 3-6,3-7 unlikely to win 2*
(33)2 P5 teams have 25% chance for 2 wins

*(38)5 G5 teams 4-6 have to win 2, all 5 aren't likely to win 2*
(45)7 P5 teams 4-5, 4-6 need at least 1 win

Right now we are easily on the right side of bowls, 17 officially eliminated, but 31 is closer to the real number and other 5 4-6 G5s unlikely to win 2(36), will probably be around 30-35 officially eliminated by Sunday, 46 the number we need, P5 with 8 losses, G5 teams with 7 losses, G5 with 7 only get in if all 5-7 P5 teams turn a bowl down. Given all the circumstances it favors us even if we lose the last 2. 24 spots for 33 teams, 72.7%

Last edited:
I struggle to believe we deserve to go at 5-7 but that's the darn issue with number of bowls and Greg/team's call IF so. I could see him say yes to reward some guys plus the recruiting effect. Hoping it doesn't come down to this of course.
It's first shot at a bowl for these kids. I would take it and extra practices. Now if we are 4-5 years in & have gone bowling then agree with not going.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
everyone seems to forget that was a special day for nw....the 1996 rose bowl team was being honored.........no way in hell were they gonna lose ......pat fitzgerald played in that game.....bye week had nothing to do with it....losing to ru on that special day wasn't going to happen...........the motivation factor was in full effect.
Interesting take . I am not buying it . Eric LeGrand led us out of the tunnel against wvu in 2011 and we lost . Those were teammates and friends of his and the picture was the sports photo of the year on the cover of sports illustrated . That team went out there and honored him with a loss. You still have to play the game.

Maybe northwestern should have planned those festivities better so they can knock off Michigan or Iowa .

It's first shot at a bowl for these kids. I would take it and extra practices. Now if we are 4-5 years in & have gone bowling then agree with not going.
which is not my call and I would certainly understand the logic. I'd be cool with either call. And make plans to go if possible. Bowls are fun times.

Reactions: Rufaninga
was it ever even a real option with all the cancellations and opt outs?

Canceled bowls (16): Bahamas, Birmingham, Celebration, Fenway, Frisco, Guaranteed Rate, Hawai'i, Holiday, Independence, LA, Las Vegas, Military, Pinstripe, Quick Lane, Redbox, Sun, tEXAS

Teams that opted out (22): Tennessee, South Carolina, Boise State, Boston College, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU (self-imposed bowl ban), Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Washington, Washington State
We never were invited to any bowl last year

We never were invited to any bowl last year
On top of that, to use last year as an example to any other year makes no sense.
bottomline- 5 wins or 6 wins- 99% of coaches will take the bowl. And for us and what it would mean as development and reward- 100% chance we would take it.
mans how F-I get great to be even discussing this.

Reactions: rucoe89 and shields
Not sure if he got the idea from this thread, but James Kratch from NJ.Com mentioned on their podcast that he basically went through the same exercise I did and took it a little further. Based on that research, he's fairly confident we've already got ourselves a bowl bid. Of course we still want to win another game and make it a guarantee.

Why does anyone ever question if we would accept a bowl at 5 wins? There is zero downside to taking a bowl at any number of wins.
The only folks that think this way are people that won't be motivated enough to tune in their TV sets for a likely uninspiring match-up of a game.

Anybody that follows the team closely, or actually goes to the games, understands how important getting into any bowl, by whatever means, is to the program.

Interesting take . I am not buying it . Eric LeGrand led us out of the tunnel against wvu in 2011 and we lost . Those were teammates and friends of his and the picture was the sports photo of the year on the cover of sports illustrated . That team went out there and honored him with a loss. You still have to play the game.

Maybe northwestern should have planned those festivities better so they can knock off Michigan or Iowa .
We lost to NW because of a total collapse on our Offense. OL had it’s worse game of the year.

Real benefit of getting a bowl bid -- 15 extra practices to develop players. Basically, a jump start on next year.
Maybe not, a 5-7 record most likely gets us in those bowl game that are played the 17th, 18th. Bowl bids won’t be announced until the 4th.

Maybe not, a 5-7 record most likely gets us in those bowl game that are played the 17th, 18th. Bowl bids won’t be announced until the 4th.
Not sure I understand. All I’m saying is value of any Bowl bid at this time is those 15 extra practices. That is critical to continue player development.

We lost to NW because of a total collapse on our Offense. OL had it’s worse game of the year.
We lost to NW because our entire team looked/played both physically and mentally exhausted that day WHILE NW had a "bye" the previous week. We, on the other hand, had our 7th straight game and just ended the "Mich/OSU/MSU" gauntlet the week before. Lots of injuries, as well, IIRC.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Winner of the Maryland game plays WVU in Arizona. Loser goes to the Pinstripe and earns a paycheck for the conference.

There's your trophy game.
Maryland is our #1 "rival" in this conference right now. Great series thus far, proximity and even some recruiting battles. NO REASON WHATSOEVER this shouldn't have a "trophy" by now. Blows my mind.

We are 65% to win at least one of the 2 games. Everyone will feel better participating in a bowl with 6-6 or 7-5 record. But getting an invite with 5 wins, we should go for all the reasons people have noted above.

Reactions: ruronny
Maryland is our #1 "rival" in this conference right now. Great series thus far, proximity and even some recruiting battles. NO REASON WHATSOEVER this shouldn't have a "trophy" by now. Blows my mind.
What would the trophy be ? The “Fridge” in honor of Ralph friegden.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
What would the trophy be ? The “Fridge” in honor of Ralph friegden.

There's nothing that we have in common with Maryland, so it would have to be some sort of wager exchange, based on what each state is known for. If they win, we send them pizza and bagels. If we win, they send us unwed teen mothers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT