18. Old Dominion 10.0
20. Michigan 9.0
21. South Dakota State 8.5
21. Stanford 8.5
21. Virginia 8.5
24. Appalachian State 7.5
25. Princeton 7.0
25. Rutgers 7.0
How does the scoring work? RU has 8 wins and only 7 points. Are wrestle backs worth less points per match?

How does the scoring work? RU has 8 wins and only 7 points. Are wrestle backs worth less points per match?

Here are how the points are calculated(today's Qtr final winners are a big jump in points). I have always found it strange that advancement points in the wrestle backs are .5 points(vs 1 point in championship bracket) but bonus points in the wrestle backs are the same as the championship bracket.

1. Placement Points – wrestlers earn placement points for finishing in 1st through 8th place.
  • 1st place: 16 points
  • 2nd place: 12 points
  • 3rd place: 10 points
  • 4th place: 9 points
  • 5th place: 7 points
  • 6th place: 6 points
  • 7th place: 4 points
  • 8th place: 3 points
2. Advancement Points – wrestlers earn advancement points if they win.
  • Each advancement in the championship bracket is worth 1 point
  • Each advancement in the consolation bracket is worth .5 points
  • If a wrestler has a bye and wins his very next match, he will earn an advancement point for the bye.
  • If a wrestler has a bye and loses his very next match, he will not earn any advancement point(s).
  • Each wrestler who is not in a pigtail match in either the championship or consolation bracket is considered to have received a bye since they didn’t wrestle a pigtail match. If those wrestler go on to win their first match, they will receive 2 advancement points due to the bye.
  • If the losing wrestler in the championship bracket pigtail match wins his wrestleback match, he will earn an additional .5 advancement points due to a bye. This bye is not shown on the NCAA brackets due to space constraints.
3. Bonus Points – wrestlers earn bonus points for certain types of victories.
  • Each fall, forfeit, default, disqualification: 2 points
  • Each tech fall (w/ near fall points): 1.5 points
  • Each tech fall (w/o near fall points): 1 point
  • Each major decision: 1 point

Here are how the points are calculated(today's Qtr final winners are a big jump in points). I have always found it strange that advancement points in the wrestle backs are .5 points(vs 1 point in championship bracket) but bonus points in the wrestle backs are the same as the championship bracket.

1. Placement Points – wrestlers earn placement points for finishing in 1st through 8th place.
  • 1st place: 16 points
  • 2nd place: 12 points
  • 3rd place: 10 points
  • 4th place: 9 points
  • 5th place: 7 points
  • 6th place: 6 points
  • 7th place: 4 points
  • 8th place: 3 points
2. Advancement Points – wrestlers earn advancement points if they win.
  • Each advancement in the championship bracket is worth 1 point
  • Each advancement in the consolation bracket is worth .5 points
  • If a wrestler has a bye and wins his very next match, he will earn an advancement point for the bye.
  • If a wrestler has a bye and loses his very next match, he will not earn any advancement point(s).
  • Each wrestler who is not in a pigtail match in either the championship or consolation bracket is considered to have received a bye since they didn’t wrestle a pigtail match. If those wrestler go on to win their first match, they will receive 2 advancement points due to the bye.
  • If the losing wrestler in the championship bracket pigtail match wins his wrestleback match, he will earn an additional .5 advancement points due to a bye. This bye is not shown on the NCAA brackets due to space constraints.
3. Bonus Points – wrestlers earn bonus points for certain types of victories.
  • Each fall, forfeit, default, disqualification: 2 points
  • Each tech fall (w/ near fall points): 1.5 points
  • Each tech fall (w/o near fall points): 1 point
  • Each major decision: 1 point
Awesome ... Doing math thought it was .5 in consolations... Didn't know about the other rules ... THANK YOU!!

Looking at the brackets here is my order of our guys chances of reaching All American status.

Ashnault - If he doesn't beat Kolodzik he will have to win one match against either the 15th seed or 3 unseeded wrestlers in the blood round.
Theobold - If he doesn't beat Thomsen he will most likely have to beat Bannister in blood round.

The road for these guys is much harder
Delvecchio - will have to beat much improved D'Arcy, 12 seed Alber and most likely 7 seed Montoya.
Van Brill - will most likely have to beat 3 NJ guys in Mastriani then Parsons and Clagon.
Gravina - will have 13 seed Carr who took the 4 seed to OT, 5 seed Zavatsky, and 7 seed Dudley.
Pagano - most likely will need to go through NJ native Bernstein, then 13 seed Lujan and 10 seed Brunson.

Really shows that making the quarterfinals although doesn't guarantee you will be an AA it sure makes the road more manageable.

Looking at the brackets here is my order of our guys chances of reaching All American status.

Ashnault - If he doesn't beat Kolodzik he will have to win one match against either the 15th seed or 3 unseeded wrestlers in the blood round.
Theobold - If he doesn't beat Thomsen he will most likely have to beat Bannister in blood round.

The road for these guys is much harder
Delvecchio - will have to beat much improved D'Arcy, 12 seed Alber and most likely 7 seed Montoya.
Van Brill - will most likely have to beat 3 NJ guys in Mastriani then Parsons and Clagon.
Gravina - will have 13 seed Carr who took the 4 seed to OT, 5 seed Zavatsky, and 7 seed Dudley.
Pagano - most likely will need to go through NJ native Bernstein, then 13 seed Lujan and 10 seed Brunson.

Really shows that making the quarterfinals although doesn't guarantee you will be an AA it sure makes the road more manageable.

Just look at 149lbs, as #2 Collica drops into the wrestleback quadrant with the loser of the #4 Jordan or #5 Sorenson and already in that quadrant is the #8 seed Lugo and #10 Seed Gardner!!! So only 1 AA will come from the #2,( #4-#5) loser, the #8 or #10 Seed. This tournament is NEVER easy!!!

Did anyone just hear the announcer say that the wrestling match at the stadium had more people then the football game that night, lol.
I reached out to Mike Couzens on twitter and what he meant (although he didn't say it this way) was that there were more wrestling fans in attendance that there were football fans at the END of the football game.

Really rooting for Ash and Theo to win it all ... That first national champ will prove to recruits that you can do it at RU and will lead to even more talent coming in ... Wrestling at the RAC in front of friends and family, and the ability to win it all ... Show it can be done!!!!!!

Please, if there is a God, do not make me watch Bannister vs Theobold in blood round.
[laughing] thanks for the laugh this morning. Bannister, I don't think he's taken a shot yet this entire tournament. His matches are simply boring.

Reactions: IsItLuck
Pletcher is not an easy win and Anthony had to gut it out to advance. I think his match with Kolodzk will be a toss up and hope Anthony wrestles for a full 7 minutes this time. I liked Theobold's match with Collica because Theo always seems to wrestle better against kids who he hasn't faced a lot. Lets hope Thomsen is also unfamiliar with Theo's style. Two in the semis is more than I could have asked for and believe we can do it.

Can't log on to ESPN3, says I AM not an authorized user....I watched it yesterday.
Not good

Can't log on to ESPN3, says I AM not an authorized user....I watched it yesterday.
Not good

I'm on now. Try turning your device off completely and rebooting. You may need to enter your cable company and password again.
ESPNU TV also will have matches on, usually most attractive matchups.

Do you guys know if our guys will be on ESPN , or should I have this watch espn app ready?

I think only the night sessions are on ESPN, I would suggest having the app up and ready to go

Do you guys know if our guys will be on ESPN , or should I have this watch espn app ready?

No way of knowing which matches ESPNU will feature, they sometimes have split screens. I'd have Mat 4 up and running now on a laptop, or tablet/phone etc. and ESPNU on at same time. I have 4 devices running, plus the Vizio Smart TV lol.

Still saying 'event about to begin, please stand by'

I think i am in dog doo...not going to be able to watch....really bumming...tried phone and computer..maybe i dont have espnu

Looks like Del Vecchio and Ash will be wrestling at the same time unfortunately

133 | Scott DelVecchio is on deck on Mat 1 against Pat D'Arcy (PRIN) in the consolation second round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT