ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Match Day Thread (Quad Meet) - RU Wrestling vs. NJCU/Cleveland State/Binghamton

Looks like Greg Bulsak and Boone McDermott will be following Poz to close out the match.

Period ends with Poz riding out the period, he leads 2-0. Poz chooses defense and escapes right away. 3-0, Poz

Poz with another takedown to make it a 5-0 match. Period ends that way, and Poz holds 2:16 of RT.

Nassar chooses defense to start the third

Nassar escapes, but gets hit with his second stall call. One point for Poz, making it 6-1 with a minute left. RT is locked up for Poz

Poz unable to get the major, but walks away with a 7-1 win.

Rutgers leads 25-3, as Greg Bulsak makes his Rutgers debut at 197-lbs

Turley was said to have tweaked something in practice a week or two ago. I would guess the plan was to get him one match today and not overwork him. If he doesn’t wrestle vs Bingo then there’s some cause for concern.

Bulsak wastes no time, getting a take down in the first 30 seconds of the match

Turley was said to have tweaked something in practice a week or two ago. I would guess the plan was to get him one match today and not overwork him. If he doesn’t wrestle vs Bingo then there’s some cause for concern.
I'd agree. Even if he does not, being that he weighed in and is dressed, I would assume it is nothing major and just precautionary.

Bulsak picks up two backs on a power half with double boots in. He leads 4-0

Bulsak sure is tough on top. He rides out the period, and maintains a 4-0 lead.

Bulsak chooses bottom to start the second period

Bulsak gets out quickly, and leads 5-0 with 1:45 left in the period. He has 2:19 of RT

Smith called for stalling, with both wrestlers now having stall warnings

Bulsak gets a late score before the second period finishes, giving him a 7-0 lead.

Smith chooses neutral to start the third

Bulsak scores on a go-behind, going up 9-0 with a little over a minute remaining

Smith escapes, making it 9-1. RT point coming at the end of the match for Bulsak

Bulsak tacks on one more at the end, winning the match with a 12-1 major decision.

Boone McDermott now out on the mat to close this out against John Kelbly

McDermott launches Kelbly to his back, secures the fall, and closes out the match in style.

Rutgers wins the dual 35-3

Reactions: bigmatt718
Match Notes:
- Sammy Alvarez looks damn good at 133-lbs, and if he can maintain his weight, will undoubtedly be a podium contender
- 174-HWT is going to be a SOLID stretch for Rutgers
- Boone McDermott is a scary man. His ability to throw could be huge in dual meet competition.

I like this new duo to end the matches. We will now be looking to take leads instead of seeing if we can just hang on. I can take the extended bathroom/concessions match with these two new pieces. Looks like the working with Poz, Martin and Turley is really paying off for Bulsak.

Match Notes:
- Sammy Alvarez looks damn good at 133-lbs, and if he can maintain his weight, will undoubtedly be a podium contender
- Boone McDermott is a scary man. His ability to throw could be huge in dual meet competition.
And the craziest part is our two best wrestlers wrestle in the first half of duals. This is going to be a really good team and if Shawver and Kannaird and do some damage at their weight classes, they can knock off a top team.

Reactions: Lex Knapp
I like this new duo to end the matches. We will now be looking to take leads instead of seeing if we can just hang on. I can take the extended bathroom match with these two new pieces.
Exactly. Never a bad thing. I see it this way - 133 & 141 we will have the edge in most matches. If 125, 149, 157 do their jobs and win the matches they're supposed to, and minimize bonus when they're not, it will give a tremendous opportunity for Rutgers to close out matches in that 174-HWT stretch.

Rutgers vs Binghamton about to get under way.

Dylan Shawver out on the mat to take on Micah Roes

Roes gets to a single, but Shawver is able to counter, and scores a takedown of his own on the scramble, then puts Roes to his back. He picks up a take and 4 backs on the exchange, leading 6-0

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Turley weighed in and is suited up. Not sure the reasoning for O'Neill going out there.
Turley walking around with running shoes on. Seems in good spirits. No noticeable injuries walking.
Match Notes:
Jury is out on McDermott until he starts wrestling B1G matches, but he looks solid.

Shawver able to ride out Roes the rest of the period, leading 6-0 going into the second.

Shawver chooses neutral

Turley walking around with running shoes on. Seems in good spirits. No noticeable injuries walking.

Jury is out on McDermott until he starts wrestling B1G matches, but he looks solid.
Yes, I see Turley in running shoes now. Had the brace and wrestling shoes on earlier.

You're not wrong about McDermott, but so far, so good. Always good to have that big move ability in the back pocket, especially at heavyweight.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Shawver stays on top the rest of the period, still leading 8-0 with 1:44 of RT.

Roes chooses top to start the third

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT