ADVERTISEMENT

MATCH THREAD #10 RU Wrestlers vs #3 Penn St (Intermat rankings), Friday 7pm BTN

PSU is far & away better & we weren't coming close to winning, but the ref had some sketchy calls tonight in spots & the clock operator totally screwed us in Bakuckas's match with riding time by starting 1 or 2 seconds late. Why wasn't that reviewable? Calling us quickly for stalling early on in matches, yet not calling McCutcheon a 2nd time for stalling when he stalled his ass off the entire 3rd period was garbage. Also, had the Midlands ref that awarded Jack the penalty point for clubbing been the ref, 3 PSU wrestlers should've been hit with a penalty point for hitting or pushing after the whistle, instead of the warning they were given.

I can agree that Bakuckas got hosed in the 174-lb bout. However, everything else in your post is pretty much a whine IMO. Correnti needs to push the action more to warrant a stalling call. The very minor skirmish in the 141-lb bout was a correct non-call, and Gravina was the guy who initiated the clubbing against Nickal. Again, nothing in that bout came close to deserving a penalty point.

I can agree that Bakuckas got hosed in the 174-lb bout. However, everything else in your post is pretty much a whine IMO. Correnti needs to push the action more to warrant a stalling call. The very minor skirmish in the 141-lb bout was a correct non-call, and Gravina was the guy who initiated the clubbing against Nickal. Again, nothing in that bout came close to deserving a penalty point.
A whine? Nah, still bitter from how Ashnault got screwed at Midlands & pointing out the ridiculousness of that call as many matches have hits & pushes as time expires, after time expires or during a match & they aren't called. If we're being technical by the book like that ref & had he been the ref, then Suriano had a penalty point for hitting after the whistle after the 1st period, & Gulibon & Nickal would've been hit for penalties as well.

HeyHuey... I really don't want to debate this with you so I will end with this... If there was no D1 Football at RU, there would be no B1G wrestling for RU....
Don't debate me - but since 1982 our D-1 football record is 161-208-5 and if we're not in the New York market nobody in the B1G gives a rat's a$$ about us....and Wrestling has a better chance of becoming Lehigh than Football has of becoming Ohio State.

Reactions: elvis7
Ralph Normandia gets thrown to the wolves lol. Not sure why Coach G would decide to make this match his first start for the year.
I felt bad for the kid. Tough position to be in but the kid kept fighting. He looked physically like a highb school kid going against a college kid.

Not limited to wrestling ... That is like a teenager versus a preschooler
I guess someone needs to be honest with you... You are the most consistently negative fan ever to be on these boards. Or you are a troll from Penn st. If you really are a Rutgers fan, is that the reputation you want?

Last edited:
I guess someone needs to be honest with you... You are the most consistently negative fan ever to be on these boards. Or you are a troll from Pedd st. If you really are a Rutgers fan, is that the reputation you want?

Wrestling, unlike most sports, has a brotherhood which confers a mutual respect. Wrestling boards are typically laden with former wrestlers who know this truth, and there is a camaraderie among the fans of even the most heated of rivalries. As I have stated on this board, the Hawkeye board and a few others it's important we as former wrestlers and now as fans honor this brotherhood and can debate the pros and cons of our teams in a respectful way. The Pedd St reference is not, as opposed to the football boards, a commonly used term on wrestling boards and in no way raises the status of your program. In fact, it may diminish the hard fought respect it has earned in these past few years. Good luck with the rest of your season and see you at B1Gs.

Wrestling, unlike most sports, has a brotherhood which confers a mutual respect. Wrestling boards are typically laden with former wrestlers who know this truth, and there is a camaraderie among the fans of even the most heated of rivalries. As I have stated on this board, the Hawkeye board and a few others it's important we as former wrestlers and now as fans honor this brotherhood and can debate the pros and cons of our teams in a respectful way. The Pedd St reference is not, as opposed to the football boards, a commonly used term on wrestling boards and in no way raises the status of your program. In fact, it may diminish the hard fought respect it has earned in these past few years. Good luck with the rest of your season and see you at B1Gs.
I've reconsidered and edited my verbiage. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your post.

Reactions: RUpop and Abro1975
CERU00 and Abro1975 you display what makes this sport, above all others, the greatest in the world. Thank you Gentlemen...with a capital G!

I have a deep hatred of Penn St football, and I find Franklin to be one of the most irritating coaches around... But I have a deep respect for Penn St wrestling.. Sanderson has a roster of not only top talent...But full of kids that go out and attack you every second... Even last night, while not enjoyable.. I was still very appreciative of just how talented some of those guys are...We have some very good wrestlers who were just totally outclassed in every phase.. I don't think we could've done much more than what we did last night...Think we saw both teams at their best...

Reactions: riverrat151
The addition of Rutgers to the B1G certainly has made this the best wrestling conference in the country. I guess the Big 12 would be a fairly close second. The ACC usually has some good individual wrestlers but with Rutgers, PSU, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan and Wisconsin the Big Ten is stacked. Did I leave a school out? Maryland is no slouch.

don't sell Maryland short, they are a tremendous slouch.

I have a deep hatred of Penn St football, and I find Franklin to be one of the most irritating coaches around... But I have a deep respect for Penn St wrestling.. Sanderson has a roster of not only top talent...But full of kids that go out and attack you every second... Even last night, while not enjoyable.. I was still very appreciative of just how talented some of those guys are...We have some very good wrestlers who were just totally outclassed in every phase.. I don't think we could've done much more than what we did last night...Think we saw both teams at their best...

Appreciate your point of view jerzey. I haven't had a true hatred for a football team since Jimmy Johnson was at Miami. With respect to wrestling I could never even bring myself to hate even Iowa at their peak. Jealousy, envy or frustration, well honestly, I couldn't tell which of those it was with them.

Bannister would be behind Theo If they wrestled everyday in practice I'm sure that's the result. There HWT for sure.

I ran into Ralph and his Dad in the Green lot before an RU football game 2 seasons ago. What a great guy... humble, unassuming, and a bit lighter than now (who isn't, lol), although was still a heavy.
My 2 other buddies and I thought he was small to be a D1 Heavy, but if he had enough quickness he could compete.
You know what... last night he showed a lot, and that was against a top 5 Heavy.
A game or 2 later, we run into Nick Gravina's dad (without Nick) and he was a riot to talk to , he was also in a shoulder sling for an injury, similiar to Nick's shoulder problem that season. At that time 2 1/2 seasons ago, we never knew how good Nick would become.
PS- that was a heck of a move by Bo Nickal from underneath , to cradle and pin Nick. Nickal vs Dean in the NCAA finals is going to be something to behold.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Goldbanger's comments, like them or not, are fairly accurate.

The wrestling community is its own breed. The conversations we struck up in NYC with countless wrestling fans during the Nationals were great. The atmosphere was exceptional and you just knew that 95% of the crowd was passionate about the sport. I joked with one guy during one of the intermission breaks what a strange atmosphere it was going to be mixing up thousands of former hard nosed wrestlers with a bunch of obnoxious drunk and loud 20-something year old st pats day partiers. It could have been ugly but ended up being a blast. We met a guy from Oregon who has been to like 10 straight Nationals who knew more about our program than many of the posters on our own Roundtable forum.

Whatever your feelings towards PSU as a University, there is no better ambassador for US collegiate wrestling than Cael Sanderson. That is the one segment of that University I cannot hate as long as Cael is there. I proudly where his Asics brand on the mat every practice with my kids.

Goldbanger's comments, like them or not, are fairly accurate.

The wrestling community is its own breed. The conversations we struck up in NYC with countless wrestling fans during the Nationals were great. The atmosphere was exceptional and you just knew that 95% of the crowd was passionate about the sport. I joked with one guy during one of the intermission breaks what a strange atmosphere it was going to be mixing up thousands of former hard nosed wrestlers with a bunch of obnoxious drunk and loud 20-something year old st pats day partiers. It could have been ugly but ended up being a blast. We met a guy from Oregon who has been to like 10 straight Nationals who knew more about our program than many of the posters on our own Roundtable forum.

Whatever your feelings towards PSU as a University, there is no better ambassador for US collegiate wrestling than Cael Sanderson. That is the one segment of that University I cannot hate as long as Cael is there. I proudly where his Asics brand on the mat every practice with my kids.
Along with your Rutgers Wrestling Shirt, of course. $$$$

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Along with your Rutgers Wrestling Shirt, of course. $$$$

Lol! My son wore his RU sweatshirt first day of practice. In fact, our very own coach Donny P and Tony Pafume were guest coaches for a practice before the winter break and were absolutely great with the kids.

IMO, there is a huge drop off after the top 3 of (IMO) Penn St, Iowa, and Ok St. The fun thing is Iowa wrestles Penn St and Ok St back to back on Jan 15 & 20. I think they lose to Penn St and beat Ok St. Then they face Ohio St after Ok St.
IMO, Ohio St are closer to Nebraska and Va Tech than the first 3 who are head and shoulders above anyone else in D1 wrestling both tourny and dual scoring. And after them there is a slighter drop off to Mizzou, Cornell and Mizzou rounding out the top 10 w probably Minn. I think RU matches up fairly close with Minn.

At the end of year in St Louis, only 4 teams make the podium (and 8 individual wrestlers per weight class) at the NCAA tourny, the top 3 you can almost write in now w Penn St, Iowa and Ok St, that 4th team fight will be very close w Va Tech , Nebraska, Ohio St and Cornell.
Apparently the drop off is after #2. Iowa managed only 11 points (at home) - 6 more than we did - against PSU. Iowa won the first 2 matches and that's all I had time to watch (BTN). Apparently that was most of what Iowa brought. I did listen to the Oregon St match on WRSU. 38-3. Pretty good for us. Purdue (8-2, 3-1) should be a better contest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT