ADVERTISEMENT

MATCH THREAD #10 RU Wrestlers vs #3 Penn St (Intermat rankings), Friday 7pm BTN

Yeah, but they won twice the year before in the B1G final and Final 4 when it really counted. In fall and winter sports RU Is a cumulative 13-53-4 against the B1G. Thank goodness women's soccer went 7-2-2 otherwise it's 6-51-2.

Ralph Normandia gets thrown to the wolves lol. Not sure why Coach G would decide to make this match his first start for the year.

I agree PSU beats down everyone , just see how the body types are diffevent. If RU doesn't have a wrestling strength coach they should be embarrassed and if they do they need to make a change.

Correct, the officiating is to blame.

Yep. It's the officials. If it weren't for the "homer" officiating, Rutgers would be right in this thing !!
He is not saying it decided the match, but there were a couple of head scratching calls in there. Unless you are a complete PSU apologist, you have to admit the 174 match was not a top job by the officiating crew.

Ralph Normandia gets thrown to the wolves lol. Not sure why Coach G would decide to make this match his first start for the year.
This has to be for the same reason the coaches let Correntti and hwt gross skip midlands... They prolly don't wanna lower gross' confidence... But I gotta disagree wit this move... Let gross get some more exp against elite guys..

Correct, the officiating is to blame.

Yep. It's the officials. If it weren't for the "homer" officiating, Rutgers would be right in this thing !!

Hey doofus, we all know RU would not win more than 7 matches but this awful ref did not give Phil Bakuckas a fair shot.
He's been on PSU' s side on about 9 out of 10 close calls.
Now go back to the Penn St. PS- hoping Iowa beats PSU

[
Hey doofus, we all know RU would not win more than 7 matches but this awful ref did not give Phil Bakuckas a fair shot.
He's been on PSU' s side on about 9 out of 10 close calls.
Now go back to the Penn St. PS- hoping Iowa beats PSU

Doofus.......nice. Don't worry, whining about officiating is a common trait of the sports fan. It is painfully weak and predictable, but, common.

These Penn St in the pocket announcers suck too, lol. I hope tom and terry and GMan and Sorenson and clark and Stoll shut them up, LOL. I' m a sore loser, having a 3rd cocktail and hate Pen St.

Today anyway, lol

Last edited:
Giant upset, Ralphie Normandia pins Nevills and RU upsets #6 Pedd St 23-22 ~!

this question is for RU and any PSU guys on the board. Is there any HWT graduate transfer for HWT possibly for the 17-18 season?

A few of you mentioned that PSU wrestlers look different/better than some/all of the RU wrestlers. I remember thinking the same thing when I went to see PSU women's volleyball play against Temple University (at TU) back in 2009. The size, width of shoulders, stronger legs, etc., of the PSU women compared to Temple was quite stark. It was just the difference between being one of the nation's best programs and a mid-major. In RU's case they are not a mid-major as they should feel quite good about being #10; however, the point is well-taken. There does seem to be a physical difference, at least in some cases, between PSU & RU, PSU & Michigan State, etc. I have to believe though that RU has a strength and conditioning coach for the wrestling team. I would be shocked if they did not.

These Penn St in the pocket announcers suck too, lol. I hope tom and terry and GMan and Sorenson and clark and Stoll shut them up, LOL. I' m a sore loser, having a 3rd cocktail and hate Pedd St.

Today anyway, lol
Only your 3rd cocktail, pick up the pace!!!

Philly, I know RU sent out 4 freshman, but the contrast was stark. I also do agree with the commentators, Willie Scott will be a bigger 174-184 soon. Corentti seems like he could easily put on 25-30 in a redshirt year next year. Future is bright but RU needs to be able to fund scholarships to get kids out of state to make the next step.

Philly, I know RU sent out 4 freshman, but the contrast was stark. I also do agree with the commentators, Willie Scott will be a bigger 174-184 soon. Corentti seems like he could easily put on 25-30 in a redshirt year next year. Future is bright but RU needs to be able to fund scholarships to get kids out of state to make the next step.
ppl on psu boards were saying theobald was the biggest 49 pounder they ever seen

No argument here. I think was a homer non-call.

Thank you . I'm now calmed down, lol. I apologize for some of my 'heated' posts. The match was never in doubt for PSU obviously, just thought a few too many close calls went against RU guys. Iowa v Ok St on Sunday should be a very interesting and the PSU- Iowa match next weekend the top dual of the year for sure.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
PSU is far & away better & we weren't coming close to winning, but the ref had some sketchy calls tonight in spots & the clock operator totally screwed us in Bakuckas's match with riding time by starting 1 or 2 seconds late. Why wasn't that reviewable? Calling us quickly for stalling early on in matches, yet not calling McCutcheon a 2nd time for stalling when he stalled his ass off the entire 3rd period was garbage. Also, had the Midlands ref that awarded Jack the penalty point for clubbing been the ref, 3 PSU wrestlers should've been hit with a penalty point for hitting or pushing after the whistle, instead of the warning they were given.

As for the match...Delvecchio should've majored & needs to be more offensive & aggressive. Ashnault got a win & gets a pass for recovering from the flu, but he should be more aggressive & offensive when healthy. Normandia is way too heavy, has a ton of bad weight & needs to add muscle. Overall, we need better S&C big time, as we were a lot smaller & weaker than PSU.

PSU is far & away better & we weren't coming close to winning, but the ref had some sketchy calls tonight in spots & the clock operator totally screwed us in Bakuckas's match with riding time by starting 1 or 2 seconds late. Why wasn't that reviewable? Calling us quickly for stalling early on in matches, yet not calling McCutcheon a 2nd time for stalling when he stalled his ass off the entire 3rd period was garbage. Also, had the Midlands ref that awarded Jack the penalty point for clubbing been the ref, 3 PSU wrestlers should've been hit with a penalty point for hitting or pushing after the whistle, instead of the warning they were given.

As for the match...Delvecchio should've majored & needs to be more offensive & aggressive. Ashnault got a win & gets a pass for recovering from the flu, but he should be more aggressive & offensive when healthy. Normandia is way too heavy, has a ton of bad weight & needs to add muscle. Overall, we need better S&C big time, as we were a lot smaller & weaker than PSU.
Agreed.

As to the Bakuckas match, the ref told Pritzlaff that the video replay he was viewing didn't have the riding time clock on it so he couldn't even review the call. That was why RU did not lose a challenge.

Reactions: Leonard23
I definitely am curious who our S&C coach for wrestling is now. With the new facilities coming, hiring an elite S&C coach would be the perfect compliment to them.

Looking at some of the other B1G scores:

Michigan beat Maryland 25-16
Nebraska is mopping the floor with Wisconsin
Purdue is beating Indy close
Sparty up big on Northwestern

Ashnault, Bakuckas and Correnti all wrestled well tonight for Rutgers. Every call went Penn State's way. Rutgers deserves a lot of credit for maintaining their composure. Bakuckas and Correnti could have easily won their matches against ranked opponents. Correnti is really starting to look good at 197.

Reactions: Leonard23 and rondi
Thank you . I'm now calmed down, lol. I apologize for some of my 'heated' posts. The match was never in doubt for PSU obviously, just thought a few too many close calls went against RU guys. Iowa v Ok St on Sunday should be a very interesting and the PSU- Iowa match next weekend the top dual of the year for sure.

The non-call for RU back points in the 174-lb bout was egregious, since it was clearly the difference between winning and losing. However, I don't recall any other substantial missed calls or incorrect calls in the meet. I think Nickal's TD as time expired in the first period was legit (not that it mattered). And, IMO, McCutcheon didn't deserve to get dinged for stalling unless Correnti pushed the action more, which he didn't.

It would've been nice to take 174 and at least have seen 197 go to OT, but like I said, PSU does that to everyone outside of Ok State and Iowa. Looking at the rest of the schedule OSU on the road will probably also be a blowout loss and Michigan is another nail biter like Illinois was...the rest of the matches I feel pretty confident that RU will win.

Agreed.

As to the Bakuckas match, the ref told Pritzlaff that the video replay he was viewing didn't have the riding time clock on it so he couldn't even review the call. That was why RU did not lose a challenge.
The fact that they have video replay without the riding time clock is an oversight.
I definitely am curious who our S&C coach for wrestling is now. With the new facilities coming, hiring an elite S&C coach would be the perfect compliment to them.
Strength coach was Vincent Cagliostro but there are tweets that we recently hired Zach Even from Underground Strength gym.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
A few of you mentioned that PSU wrestlers look different/better than some/all of the RU wrestlers. I remember thinking the same thing when I went to see PSU women's volleyball play against Temple University (at TU) back in 2009. The size, width of shoulders, stronger legs, etc., of the PSU women compared to Temple was quite stark. It was just the difference between being one of the nation's best programs and a mid-major. In RU's case they are not a mid-major as they should feel quite good about being #10; however, the point is well-taken. There does seem to be a physical difference, at least in some cases, between PSU & RU, PSU & Michigan State, etc. I have to believe though that RU has a strength and conditioning coach for the wrestling team. I would be shocked if they did not.
We can't afford a good one. Hell we can't even afford full allotment for OOS scholarships and you think we can afford a decent strength coach?[laughing] We practice in the basement of a building built in 1931. We got $11 million from the B1G last year. How much did you think we got?:confused: Wrestling is on a shoe string budget right now and we're still decent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT