ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling MATCHDAY THREAD: Rutgers Wrestling vs. Michigan State

Not many team will look good against PSU.. RU didn’t look better after tn.. not sure Moore will win 141 anymore.. Soldano probably will lose to Michigan’s 184.. 149 is a tossup w Gomez out but Lewan will go at 157… would need a perfect match to pull off the upset… and when was the last time RU had a pf match for an upset… almost a decade ago? 2016.. yeah 2016 lol
Peterson would have to develop an offense. I give Shawver a chance. Moore is now questionable. Cetta?, loss, loss, Turley needs to pull off an upset, Soldano has to return to Soldano, and Yara-Slav has to pull the upset. Maybe not too likely all or any will fall into place.

I don't think he is all that wrong, but each guy has to show up at his best. What happened to Turley after I put in my big plug?
Did just enough to win. Refs missed one move of his that he did before and should have got the takedown earlier and 4 backs. But these refs were pretty clueless on when to call a takedown or backs the whole match.

Reactions: Peteras9144
Tonight might have been one of the worst productions ever by an away match. From total darkness during the F-ing National Anthem!!!, to starting lineup introductions where Sparty took 10 seconds to get to the center of the mat for handshakes, to the college production crew having their own hot mike in the background. I thought the announcers were decent but a little too wordy. I didn't need to know a wrestlers "belly button needed to be pointed" in certain directions. Anyhow...RU wins!!!

Got to give credit, MSU wrestled tough. 197 threw in the towel after the 4th takedown and Shawvers guy was overmatched but otherwise they wrestled hard and close every match

Reactions: Peteras9144
Hey our first ever 3-0 Big10 start. That means something. MSU was a lot tougher than I expected. Dean's match was a little too close for my liking and White nearly escaped, except he fell to his back instead. Desantis wrestled tough in his loss. Poz and Shawver looked awesome. Nice gritty wins from Cetta, Yara and Turley. Not much can be said of Soldano and Moore's match. Soldano is who he is and that guy is funky. Moore just looked a little out of it. At least both guys were ranked losses.

Soldano beat this same Malczewski last year… go figure…
I don't remember if I saw that match. Brian beat him last year and caught him with a pin?. Did he dominate him the whole match or catch him? There's a big difference there. Could be the grind against the bigger guys is wearing Soldano down? Anyone in the know?: Is Soldano only wrestling 85 because Turley is occupying 74?

If you guys are going to report on the z Michigan match for those not tuning in Big +, report the bouts final score after each bout and team score. Just saying terrible call or this guy stinks is worthless to the non viewer Just a suggestion

If you guys are going to report on the z Michigan match for those not tuning in Big +, report the bouts final score after each bout and team score. Just saying terrible call or this guy stinks is worthless to the non viewer Just a suggestion
Ref wasn't good today Bill.
Dean won a close match. Needs a little more offense. Great positionally, awesome defense and really good counter wrestler w solid mat skills but just needs a little more consistency in offense. 4-1

Shawver was a horse, got the tech fall. 22-6

Moore struggled in his first match back. Got ridden hard and gave up a TD in the third lost 5-1.

Cetta just really looking like a very improved guy. 5-3, some bad stalls here.

Desantis looked like he was out there wrestling a little tight against saldate. Which is a shame because he scored on a beautiful shot to end the match. Lost 9-5

White had a nice deep single to start, couldn't finish. Other guy gets an escape, rides white, gets banged for stalling. It's 1-1 in the third bc of a stall. White gets ridden out and turned in last thirty sec or so to lose 6-1.

Turley wrestled tough but other guy didn't really engage and ref wasn't forcing any action. He wins 4-2.

Soldano has a weird match, lots of rolling around per usual, should have had a reverse and backs in the second. Ref is bad here. Loses19-6.

Poz rolls, tech fall 22-6.
Yara controls most of the match, again w a terrible stall going out of bounds. Wins a closer one 4_2

Final score 22-13.

Bill, if I'm home for the match, c'mon over!!

I was going with the team this week to both Michigan matches when I freaking tested positive for Covid. Pissed me off as I was really looking forward to this travel. Had to cancel flights and lodging. Never really sick, just head and chest cold. A little tired but feeling better every day. Scott said we did not wrestle well tonight. Need vast improvement for Sunday. Be well folks.

As I said earlier this year, he looks undersized on a fairly consistent basis. Someone countered and said something along the line like he has held his own or he hasn't been out muscled. Welp, that sure changed tonight. He belongs at a lower weight, especially against B1Gger competition.
Yup he needs to drop down.
Soldano beat this same Malczewski last year… go figure…
and he got majored by him at the rac last year too,

I was going with the team this week to both Michigan matches when I freaking tested positive for Covid. Pissed me off as I was really looking forward to this travel. Had to cancel flights and lodging. Never really sick, just head and chest cold. A little tired but feeling better every day. Scott said we did not wrestle well tonight. Need vast improvement for Sunday. Be well folks.
Get well my friend!!!

Reactions: Leonard23
They split last year
Malczewski 16-6
Soldano pin 1:40
Yeah ik, Soldano got the last win against him last year.. my point was it’s the same guy except now he’s somehow suddenly too small, weak, against bigger, more powerful, longer *insert excuse* etc etc guys. After nationals last year Soldano was neck n neck w/ Pinto as the best freshman at 184.. also started this season rank top 8 I believe.. anyways, hopefully Soldano figures it out n pins Malczewski next meeting like he did last year.

Reactions: mikemessner
Peterson would have to develop an offense. I give Shawver a chance. Moore is now questionable. Cetta?, loss, loss, Turley needs to pull off an upset, Soldano has to return to Soldano, and Yara-Slav has to pull the upset. Maybe not too likely all or any will fall into place.
Well, maybe I was in a rare optimistic mood. I'd still like to see Shawver and Turley pull off the upsets. However, it is quite possible that we could come away with just one win.

I don't remember if I saw that match. Brian beat him last year and caught him with a pin?. Did he dominate him the whole match or catch him? There's a big difference there. Could be the grind against the bigger guys is wearing Soldano down? Anyone in the know?: Is Soldano only wrestling 85 because Turley is occupying 74?
Soldano caught him at nationals after being down as I recall.

Can't deny the fact that soldano is way undersized compared to most of his opponents. Last year he was able to compensate and catch some guys off guard but he cannot out muscle or out strength these guys. Not sure what the answer is other than possibly trying to drop down next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT