ADVERTISEMENT

No. 13 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts No. 8 Virginia Tech Friday Night

Beginning to doubt that Goody can get us over hump unfortunately. Too many guys just don’t look prepared and ready to go in big spots. We’ll beat the teams we should and never knock off anyone above us. This was served up on a silver platter for us and we choked it away once again.

Last edited:
Reminiscent of when Poz and Bulsak both laid stinkers while in the driver seat against whoever it was a few years ago. Ohio St? Michigan St? Don’t remember.
Mighta been Ohio state… our only chance to ever beat them

Reactions: Leonard23
Checked the score … little disappointing to see the score … thought it would have been closer … hoping they jump up from their 11th place finish.

Checked the score … little disappointing to see the score … thought it would have been closer … hoping they jump up from their 11th place finish.
We always get over confident and overestimate ourselves every year.. always a tf moment every year

It was a poor showing by a team not prepared and 165 continues to be a black hole.

Reactions: rugrapfan1
My god. White looked absolutely horrendous against a 157er. That could cost us the match. I’m sorry but he isn’t nearly strong enough for 165.
Hate to say bad things sbout kids but he’s just not good. Cant turn and every shot is literally straight on

Last edited:
It was a poor showing by a team not prepared.
It was a poor showing from 2 wrestlers. I thought Peterson and Shawver wrestled their asses off. Moore won but I expected more. Butler wrestled ok but against a better guy. Desantis wrestled pretty hard. Turley looked good just outclassed. Poz and Slav did what they had to.

We always get over confident and overestimate ourselves every year.. always a tf moment every year
To be fair 8 out of 10 wrestlers did their job so this one was ripe for the taking.

White was sleepwalking from the opening whistle. Gave up a takedown no more than 3 seconds into the match and got abused by a guy that wrestled 157 this year. He looked undersized and outmuscled. Straight on shots that stood no chance. Not sure what happened to him.

Soldano simply needs to be smarter and more defensive. He can’t give us his legs so easily and win every match from his butt. Think he gave up 2 reversals as well. By the time to decided to actually attack and wrestle, there was no time left. He’ll figure it out but that one hurt us.

It was a poor showing from 2 wrestlers. I thought Peterson and Shawver wrestled their asses off. Moore won but I expected more. Butler wrestled ok but against a better guy. Desantis wrestled pretty hard. Turley looked good just outclassed. Poz and Slav did what they had to.
I thought Shawver looked great and he was so close to knocking off a 2x AA. He actually looked like the better wrestler. Really happy with his performance.

Only thing I will say on Soldano is I think he knew he had our best shot to bonus so tried early to get a team win. He had to get a Pin or Tech for us to win. He wasnt teching kid so he was trying to get him in positions early to try and pin him so he gave up some of those stupid takedowns. Like he literally let the guy in on purpose. Then he got behind too much. Other thing is with 3 pt takedown that strategy is harder now. he beats that kid 10-3, 11-4 something like that in a Tournament match.

Only thing I will say on Soldano is I think he knew he had our best shot to bonus so tried early to get a team win. He had to get a Pin or Tech for us to win. He wasnt teching kid so he was trying to get him in positions early to try and pin him so he gave up some of those stupid takedowns. Like he literally let the guy in on purpose. Then he got behind too much. Other thing is with 3 pt takedown that strategy is harder now. he beats that kid 10-3, 11-4 something like that in a Tournament match.
That’s a lame excuse. I understand the high risk/high reward logic you’re trying to suggest happened, but that is what typical Soldano looks like. I don’t even know what I watched tonight. He looked like a guy wrestling hurt and trying to survive the match more than a guy going for broke.

But I am getting sick of all the defense of Goodale. Its time for this program to take a step forward and it is just not under him. He is solid but its pretty much same story every year outside of our Natl Champions year.

So now we will to beat up on Edinboro, Princeton Rider Buffalo etc but when it comes to the tough teams, lose.

That’s a lame excuse. I understand the high risk/high reward logic you’re trying to suggest happened, but that is what typical Soldano looks like. I don’t even know what I watched tonight. He looked like a guy wrestling hurt and trying to survive the match more than a guy going for broke.
i dont 100% disagree but he showed in mid 2nd through 3rd he could basically take the guy down or at least get in deep at will. I think his mentality/strategy started one way and when he realized he couldn’t do it it was too late.

I kind of agree. It’s an bs excuse but it’s more than likely the case. Even if Soldano gets that TD at the end, we still lose the dual 16-15 assuming everything else holds true. It seemed like he was trying to get the big move rather than wrestle smart, which caused him to give us his legs so easily and be out of position too wrestle. Fisher isn’t a scrub that you can get away with that unfortunately. By the time he realized he couldn’t get it done, it was too late to recover.

Kid made Rd of 12 last year. I think he showed plenty but can certainly improve still
He made round of 16.. had some puzzling losses but had good wins over willKemp(ended up AA), Michigan state kid, and he also beat Iowa’s Assad .. 184 overall this year is one of the weaker weight classes..

We deserve better. The program is incredibly stale. It’s time for a change.

It’s brutal to watch us fail in every opportunity to beat a good team. I honestly like Goodale but we’ll just be around 15-20 every year as long as he’s here.

We should have known better. The head coach fools us ever year with his preseason hype. He knows how to sell ice to Eskimos. He gets us excited. Then, we are disappointed and feel let down. But, don't worry we will continue to blow out teams like, Duke, Cal Poly, Princeton, Rider, Edinboro, Buffalo, and Bloomsburg. So, the season record will look good at the end of the year.

Tonight, we went into the third period of the 5th bout before we got a takedown. Lost the takedown battle 12 to 5. Not a good sign with the new 3 point takedown rule. And we didn't get a reversal all night.

We had our #23 ranked 165lber lose to an unranked true freshman who moved up from 157lbs to wrestle. Our #9 184 lb wrestler lost to the 23rd ranked kid who was pinned by an Ohio State freshman last week.

As fans we deserve better. We need to avoid making the same mistakes every year. That is believing the coach's hype each year and expecting a different result. If we continue to do that it is insanity.

I should have listened to the poster who goes by Pessimistically.

We should have known better. The head coach fools us ever year with his preseason hype. He knows how to sell ice to Eskimos. He gets us excited. Then, we are disappointed and feel let down. But, don't worry we will continue to blow out teams like, Duke, Cal Poly, Princeton, Rider, Edinboro, Buffalo, and Bloomsburg. So, the season record will look good at the end of the year.

Tonight, we went into the third period of the 5th bout before we got a takedown. Lost the takedown battle 12 to 5. Not a good sign with the new 3 point takedown rule. And we didn't get a reversal all night.

We had our #23 ranked 165lber lose to an unranked true freshman who moved up from 157lbs to wrestle. Our #9 184 lb wrestler lost to the 23rd ranked kid who was pinned by an Ohio State freshman last week.

As fans we deserve better. We need to avoid making the same mistakes every year. That is believing the coach's hype each year and expecting a different result. If we continue to do that it is insanity.

Yup expectations should be beating the bad teams and losing the tossups or matches where we aren’t favored.

We’re the definition of mediocrity.

Someone did point out that besides 165/184 the other 8/10 weights did ok….

We had a path to victory through the first four or five bouts but I think some of you guys are forgetting that we wrestled a team ranked higher than us.

One thing I noticed, and I don’t know if it’s because of the 3 point take down rule but we looked a lot better on bottom than in the past. No one really got dominated by riding time and even White and Soldano were able to fight back and put themselves in positions to win their bouts in the closing seconds. Didn’t work out that way unfortunately.

We had a path to victory through the first four or five bouts but I think some of you guys are forgetting that we wrestled a team ranked higher than us.

One thing I noticed, and I don’t know if it’s because of the 3 point take down rule but we looked a lot better on bottom than in the past. No one really got dominated by riding time and even White and Soldano were able to fight back and put themselves in positions to win their bouts in the closing seconds. Didn’t work out that way unfortunately.
For me this was our one chance to out perform our status quo. We failed, yet again. It’s going to be another ho hum year and par for the course for a Goodale team. When do we put another foot forward and climb to the upper middle echelon of the B1G? I’m not even asking for upper echelon as we know that’s damn near impossible for Goodale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers56
I don’t get the Goodale hate here?? Two guys that should have won, lost. That’s not on the coach. Theses weren’t toss up matches that coach could have game planned better. If your starter at 165 can’t beat a backup 157lber and your top 10 184 loses to a much lower ranked opponent, that’s on the kids..not the coaches.

The guys that are supposed to win..need to win. Very simple. These weren’t toss ups

Yup expectations should be beating the bad teams and losing the tossups or matches where we aren’t favored.

We’re the definition of mediocrity.
Being in a match against a top five team is now considered mediocrity??? C'mon now. I was disappointed with the outcome last night but considering there are about 80 D1 schools, Rutgers isnt mediocre. Applying that term in the B1G is more applicable but it is the toughest conference in the nation.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don’t get the Goodale hate here?? Two guys that should have won, lost. That’s not on the coach. Theses weren’t toss up matches that coach could have game planned better. If your starter at 165 can’t beat a backup 157lber and your top 10 184 loses to a much lower ranked opponent, that’s on the kids..not the coaches.

The guys that are supposed to win..need to win. Very simple. These weren’t toss ups
I'm also curious who was sick this week as there were some theraflu posts on social earlier in the week and someone posted a bunch were sick. Definitely want to see more offense on our feet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT