ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts Rider (Thursday), No. 6 Ohio State (Sunday) Match Thread

Agreed. I'm starting to question how high this team can go as constructed. Are we happy being just a good team every year or do we want to jump into the territory of elite or even on the cusp of elite?
From an outside view of someone who knows very little about wrestling, it seems like we might have hit a wall over the last few years. We beat teams we are supposed to be most of the time, lose a couple that we shouldn't, and never win against the better teams. Kind of hard to get too enthused when the pattern is so predictable.

Even when we had 2 individual NCs a couple years back, what was our final ranking in the tournament? 9th?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
There is a clear seperation between the elite wrestling programs in the Big Ten and every other league team.It comes down to recruiting and player development.
There are certainly multiple tiers currently and for the next few years

1. PSU and Iowa
2. Michigan and Ohio State
3. Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota
4. MSU, Purdue, RU
5. Illinois and NW
6. Indiana and Maryland.

Reactions: Leonard23
There are certainly multiple tiers currently and for the next few years

1. PSU and Iowa
2. Michigan and Ohio State
3. Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota
4. MSU, Purdue, RU
5. Illinois and NW
6. Indiana and Maryland.
Exactly and in Year 8 of the B1G, I was at least expecting us to be in Tier 3 with Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

If it was up to me, I'd throw B1G money to pry Popolizio away from NC State.
Nah, throw money at NIL.

They made the coaching moves needed. Leonardis to President of SKWC, Ashnault to the staff. Buxton to head coach of SKWC all within the year. We have to give it more than one year. Next move is for Goodale to recruit some NIL money ala Bormet. We all hope he's up to the job as he's made the moves needed thus far.

NIL money and the transfer portal can cure any coach's woes. Michigan needed a better 125lber and 197lber, got'em. Michigan needed to entice someone to come back to wrestle at 174lbs. instead of starting their career, got'em. Good team into top 4 team just like that.

When’s the last time we won a big match? Wtf. Brutal loss
Been a while.. I think we beat Wisc in 2018 or 2019 when they were #10.

Aside from that you’ll need to go back until 2015/16 when we beat Lehigh, Cornell, and Nebraska. They were all ranked pretty high (in the top 10) at some point that year.

Can’t really recall any other big upsets at the moment.

Been a while.. I think we beat Wisc in 2018 or 2019 when they were #10.

Aside from that you’ll need to go back until 2015/16 when we beat Lehigh, Cornell, and Nebraska. They were all ranked pretty high (in the top 10) at some point that year.

Can’t really recall any other big upsets at the moment.
The program has plateaued.

• Haha
Reactions: njsportsphan
Nah, throw money at NIL.

They made the coaching moves needed. Leonardis to President of SKWC, Ashnault to the staff. Buxton to head coach of SKWC all within the year. We have to give it more than one year. Next move is for Goodale to recruit some NIL money ala Bormet. We all hope he's up to the job as he's made the moves needed thus far.

NIL money and the transfer portal can cure any coach's woes. Michigan needed a better 125lber and 197lber, got'em. Michigan needed to entice someone to come back to wrestle at 174lbs. instead of starting their career, got'em. Good team into top 4 team just like that.
Leonardis is not longer with the SKWC

I thought their heavy looked clumsy and off-balance against Kerkvliet. I give Boone a chance.
This is after the fact..but no friggin way.
Ugh forget about beating Romero.. Poz loses to the backup…he’s not wrestling at the same lvl as last year rn… :/
That backup was a starter last year (I know Poz beat him then), and he is no slouch. Romero just happens to be better. Poz got high, locked his hands and gave up the reversal. Unfortunate event and such is the life of wrestling. I think Poz and Bulsak wrestled too conservative today IMO.
Yes let’s drop the program. We only draw 4000 each meet and we are only in top 15 in the country. Terrible recruiting with 6 freshmen in the lineup!
Thanks for the perspective Bill. It's the same more, more, more mantra here but not as bad as the basketball board. They are much more fickell there. We are down two starters (Olivieri is a real nice fill in though), and are thin in the middle weights, especially with Turley out. And we still compete. We had a shot today and got wins in the toss ups, but our upper weigh hammers couldnt get it done. C'est la vie.

Yes let’s drop the program. We only draw 4000 each meet and we are only in top 15 in the country. Terrible recruiting with 6 freshmen in the lineup!
Bill,
Not sure anyone is saying drop the program or even get rid of Goodale, etc. but it’s ok to be frustrated and also to be able to look inward and see flaws and make changes. And it’s ok to have aspirations. Don’t think to win today is an unreasonable ask. It’s the coaches jobs to figure out how and why

He was all over the last newsletter from January so if there was a change it was fairly recent and not publicized yet.
I remember reading the one in November and he signed it, they send it to my business e-mail so I get so much junk from suppliers I usually delete it by accident, thought I missed the news. Thanks for the clarification.

My point was wrestling 6 freshmen is not plateauing but amazing we are even competing and 13-5. Yes we definitely should have won today. No question especially winning majors at 133 and 141. Winning tossups at 157 and 265 was huge snd I would have bet my life win win at least one of 184 and 197 if not both. Poz loses on a CB penalty and Bulsak loses in sudden victory. Shit happens!

My point was wrestling 6 freshmen is not plateauing but amazing we are even competing and 13-5. Yes we definitely should have won today. No question especially winning majors at 133 and 141. Winning tossups at 157 and 265 was huge snd I would have bet my life win win at least one of 184 and 197 if not both. Poz loses on a CB penalty and Bulsak loses in sudden victory. Shit happens!
Just bc they are freshman doesn’t guarantee they will improve.. just means more eligibility.. look at Poz, for example, seems to have regressed a lil… would be surprised if he made the semis at nationals again this year.. yeah..” shit happens!”Last time at Michigan state.. now second time, getting more worrisome….need more mental toughness… killer mentality… only c it in Seabass rn..

Just bc they are freshman doesn’t guarantee they will improve.. just means more eligibility.. look at Poz, for example, seems to have regressed a lil… would be surprised if he made the semis at nationals again this year.. yeah..” shit happens!”Last time at Michigan state.. now second time, getting more worrisome….need more mental toughness… killer mentality… only c it in Seabass rn..
Everyone should be frustrated by today's results, but I don't know what to make of Poz right now. Is he injured or sick, as he didn't suddenly stop training and conditioning or lose his mind? Something is up and we don't know why. Everyone was so ready to rip Turley and the coaches, but no one knew he had a bad injury before the season that required surgery, yet he tried to push through.

Lehigh lost to UPenn and Army this week. Shit does happen. Just sucks. The only way to get to the next level is to improve recruiting with more elite talent and we need some impact transfers, like Suriano and SeaBass were.

A couple of things

Poz doesn’t look close to 100% and has not for some time. I honestly think he’s wrestling hurt and you guys are out there making him into a bust and questioning his manhood. Disgraceful. I watched that Michigan State match over and you can see the grimace of pain on his face as he was attempting that grambie/Pioneer roll and his technique was off. Today he had a very difficult time getting out late in the third. I was getting texts from people saying “Poz doesn’t look right”. You think the kid just over night forgot how to wrestle??? Perhaps I’m biased (which is why I try and stay out of these conversations) since I know Poz personally, but for anyone who knows anything about that kid, “choker” is an absolute laughable description and people should be ashamed to even suggest such nonsense.

This is Bulsak’s 5th year and he’s never sniffed the podium. He took a big step early this season but is regressing a little back to the mean. It’s not a surprise to anyone who understands this sport. It happens. I mean there were people questioning the signing this summer thinking he was no better than Janzer at first. Now he’s a choker. He has a very defined style and coaches are catching on. I’ve had this conversation with guys I know to temper their expectations after the early hot start because it doesn’t get easier and the scouting report will get out… and it has. I’m not making an excuse. He did blow it today. No doubt about it. But let’s not make it more than it is. He’s in a funk and needs to work out if it. Doesn’t mean he can’t rebound and make a last minute push for the podium, but he has to develop another offensive shot and adjust. He has the balls and ability to make a March run but I think you guys put too much in him.

On the flip side…. While I’m a 100% supportive of this staff, people (especially those who support with $ and season tickets) have an absolute right to ask questions. I see no problem with that. Billy, we know you are 100% behind Goody, but he’s not Teflon. He’s the father of modern day Rutgers wrestling but at some point we have to have an honest conversation about when we will start taking the next step. Let’s not shoot down anyone who asks legit questions about where we are at as a program. If you don’t, that’s how people and programs become complacent.

Let’s all take a deep breath. I’m still bullish on March.

Everyone should be frustrated by today's results, but I don't know what to make of Poz right now. Is he injured or sick, as he didn't suddenly stop training and conditioning or lose his mind? Something is up and we don't know why. Everyone was so ready to rip Turley and the coaches, but no one knew he had a bad injury before the season that required surgery, yet he tried to push through.

Lehigh lost to UPenn and Army this week. Shit does happen. Just sucks. The only way to get to the next level is to improve recruiting with more elite talent and we need some impact transfers, like Suriano and SeaBass were.
Sometimes when we're too emotionally invested in the program, we can't see the forest because the trees are in the way. Recruiting has gotten better, Poz, Turley, Oliveri, (Soldano, and Casale next year), were and are legit recruits. Ryan Vulach was a great recruit that unfortunately had a career-ending back injury. The train is moving forward, it just gets off schedule sometimes.IMO

Sometimes when we're too emotionally invested in the program, we can't see the forest because the trees are in the way. Recruiting has gotten better, Poz, Turley, Oliveri, (Soldano, and Casale next year), were and are legit recruits. Ryan Vulach was a great recruit that unfortunately had a career-ending back injury. The train is moving forward, it just gets off schedule sometimes.IMO
Recruiting really hasn't improved. Landing 1 or 2 elite recruits each year with some risky recruits and depth isn't going to get us to consistently be a top 10 team in March or anywhere near competing for a trophy. We need 3, 4 and 5 Soldano's in multiple consecutive classes to do that.

A couple of things

Poz doesn’t look close to 100% and has not for some time. I honestly think he’s wrestling hurt and you guys are out there making him into a bust and questioning his manhood. Disgraceful. I watched that Michigan State match over and you can see the grimace of pain on his face as he was attempting that grambie/Pioneer roll and his technique was off. Today he had a very difficult time getting out late in the third. I was getting texts from people saying “Poz doesn’t look right”. You think the kid just over night forgot how to wrestle??? Perhaps I’m biased (which is why I try and stay out of these conversations) since I know Poz personally, but for anyone who knows anything about that kid, “choker” is an absolute laughable description and people should be ashamed to even suggest such nonsense.

This is Bulsak’s 5th year and he’s never sniffed the podium. He took a big step early this season but is regressing a little back to the mean. It’s not a surprise to anyone who understands this sport. It happens. I mean there were people questioning the signing this summer thinking he was no better than Janzer at first. Now he’s a choker. He has a very defined style and coaches are catching on. I’ve had this conversation with guys I know to temper their expectations after the early hot start because it doesn’t get easier and the scouting report will get out… and it has. I’m not making an excuse. He did blow it today. No doubt about it. But let’s not make it more than it is. He’s in a funk and needs to work out if it. Doesn’t mean he can’t rebound and make a last minute push for the podium, but he has to develop another offensive shot and adjust. He has the balls and ability to make a March run but I think you guys put too much in him.

On the flip side…. While I’m a 100% supportive of this staff, people (especially those who support with $ and season tickets) have an absolute right to ask questions. I see no problem with that. Billy, we know you are 100% behind Goody, but he’s not Teflon. He’s the father of modern day Rutgers wrestling but at some point we have to have an honest conversation about when we will start taking the next step. Let’s not shoot down anyone who asks legit questions about where we are at as a program. If you don’t, that’s how people and programs become complacent.

Let’s all take a deep breath. I’m still bullish on seem March.
If you know Poz personally can you let us know if he’s wrestling hurt? I thought the exact same thing watching him. Something doesn’t right with him. Don’t know if it’s confidence, aggression, being afraid to make a mistake after the MSU match but have seen anyone be able to hold him down like that for almost a minute. Hope he’s ok bc his story alone is unbelievable.

but if he is right I think asking about this loss and then Bulsak is not unreasonable.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Recruiting really hasn't improved. Landing 1 or 2 elite recruits each year with some risky recruits and depth isn't going to get us to consistently be a top 10 team in March or anywhere near competing for a trophy. We need 3, 4 and 5 Soldano's in multiple consecutive classes to do that.
We have the facilities, we have the fans. We all know we don’t have the funding of PSU and Iowa but we need to find a way to land 3 Soldano’s every year if we want it be a top 5-8 team. Not even saying we can reach the top 4 area with the monstrous programs but don’t see why we cannot compete with the MN’s of the world. The 4 is see consistently out of reach are PSU,,Iowa, OK St, and one of Michigan/OSU. They kind of flip flop each year. Outside of that, think we should be able to compete with anyone.

but at some point we have to have an honest conversation about when we will start taking the next step. Let’s not shoot down anyone who asks legit questions about where we are at as a program. If you don’t, that’s how people and programs become complacent.
Yup, agree and have all along. I make the mistake of bringing it up when everyone is in their manic stage of the season, perennially before the tough competition. But how and when the conversation occurs and who is a part of it is not well understood.

I'm a big Poz fan. I didn't see anyone questioning his manhood - jeesh. Yeah, we have a lot of young wrestlers and more coming next year. It seems we often have our strength at the Frosh and Soph levels. I'd love one day to change the war cry from wait-until-next-year to something more present.

We have the facilities, we have the fans. We all know we don’t have the funding of PSU and Iowa but we need to find a way to land 3 Soldano’s every year if we want it be a top 5-8 team. Not even saying we can reach the top 4 area with the monstrous programs but don’t see why we cannot compete with the MN’s of the world. The 4 is see consistently out of reach are PSU,,Iowa, OK St, and one of Michigan/OSU. They kind of flip flop each year. Outside of that, think we should be able to compete with anyone.
Exactly. The diehard fans aren't asking to compete with Iowa or PSU, but at this point we should at least be on the same level as say an NC State or Virginia Tech. I think elevating the program to fringe Top 10 status perennially isn't a big ask from where they are now.

If you know Poz personally can you let us know if he’s wrestling hurt? I thought the exact same thing watching him. Something doesn’t right with him. Don’t know if it’s confidence, aggression, being afraid to make a mistake after the MSU match but have seen anyone be able to hold him down like that for almost a minute. Hope he’s ok bc his story alone is unbelievable.

but if he is right I think asking about this loss and then Bulsak is not unreasonable.
Agree that asking questions isn’t unreasonable. That’s completely fair. Questioning their heart is where it goes too far and alluding that Poz and Bulsak are chokers is a bit much.

I don’t know any more details regarding Poz, but I know what my eyes tell me and he doesn’t seem right.

No one questioned anyones manhood so let’s stop with the outlandish and dramatic hyperbole.

Call it what you will but we had a chance to win 2 out of last 3 duals with only 1 win from our 2nd and 3rd best wrestlers and we went 0-4 in those matches and 0-2 in the duals. Everyone always has a million excuses as to why something doesn’t happen but to take that next step as a program, that can’t happen repeatedly especially against that level of competition. It wasn’t PSU or Iowa out there..

Like I said, anything can happen once but the 2nd, 3rd, etc it becomes a trend/pattern. Moreover, everyone is hurt and/or banged up at this point in the season so it’s not something unique to RU and yet people still persevere in those situations.

You guys want a top 4 program ..reach into those wallets a little more ...you get what you pay for so stop complaining ...we don’t have funds to compete with the PSU of the world ...losing today was hard for sure but nobody choked ...Rocky Jordan is a starter anywhere else ..he wasn’t just a second stringer ..Poz seems off for sure but he didn’t choke ...some of you guys need to lighten up ...will we ever be top 5 with the funds we get ..I doubt it ..pony up if that what you want instead of enjoying the team we have for what it is .

Harley you are correct as we need $ to compete with PSU, Iowa, OSU and Okie State. I believe in the coaching staff and feel it is as good as anywhere. I also believe in our kids in what is a brutal sport where everyone is talented and trains hard. The season is a series of highs and lows. MSU and OSU were brutal losses. Should we be happy. No. I was pissed and devastated as victory was well within our grasp.

You guys want a top 4 program ..reach into those wallets a little more ...you get what you pay for so stop complaining ...we don’t have funds to compete with the PSU of the world ...losing today was hard for sure but nobody choked ...Rocky Jordan is a starter anywhere else ..he wasn’t just a second stringer ..Poz seems off for sure but he didn’t choke ...some of you guys need to lighten up ...will we ever be top 5 with the funds we get ..I doubt it ..pony up if that what you want instead of enjoying the team we have for what it is .
Rocky Jordan is def no scrub and he was Poz’s first major test last year.. Poz beat the Michigan state kid too last year and now both results have been reversed this year.. no one questioning Poz manhood/heart or w.e but seeing him lose to two guys he beaten before is a cause for concern.

Reactions: fronk71
If it was up to me, I'd throw B1G money to pry Popolizio away from NC State.
You want to compete with Cael on recruiting, then you'll need a name like Jordan Boroughs at Rutgers.

But come on. There's not too many Cael Sandersons out there. So don't expect a huge turnaround from another coach. Especially one with Jersey ties.

I like our staff though. And I think with Ashnault recruiting, we'll be landing more top guys. RU is a very young team.

We just need more depth at the upper weights. Sucks that Poz and Bulsak choked/were upset. They looked like they wrestled not to lose instead of to win. I'm glad O'Neil didn't get teched or pinned, but he's a 3rd string backup at this stage in his Collegiate career. He was supposed to lose though.

IMO, today would of been a good time to throw Kyonte in. We know Boones struggles with big guys. He had a great mat return and once again used up his energy and was flat right after it. I wish he took more shots, but he's a Greco guy. It's hard to toss a bigger guy that's an AA.

As much as I hate to say it though, this one falls on 184 and 197. They came out flat. I hope they rebound but ever since the Penn St match, they just don't look the same.

There was a lot of positives in the dual. It felt way to similar to the MSU choke job though.

Last edited:
Deja vu. Defeat clutched from the jaws of victory. Plenty of time left for individual redemption and success but very disappointing team effort.

What was the score of the Ohio State Jordan Match with Poz last year? What was the MSU score for him too?

Can’t deny that today was disappointing. With 3 starters out including 2 guys ranked in the top 5, we had a real chance to beat Ohio State. Our insiders are saying we don’t have enough money. I get Penn State and Iowa. Does Missouri, NC State, Va Tech, and Wisconsin have more money than we have. Today Purdue beat Minnesota and never heard Purdue having lots of money. If it is money, how much money do we need to be in the top ten?

Reactions: nikoru09
Can’t deny that today was disappointing. With 3 starters out including 2 guys ranked in the top 5, we had a real chance to beat Ohio State. Our insiders are saying we don’t have enough money. I get Penn State and Iowa. Does Missouri, NC State, Va Tech, and Wisconsin have more money than we have. Today Purdue beat Minnesota and never heard Purdue having lots of money. If it is money, how much money do we need to be in the top ten?
i think you hit the nail on the head..yes funding is important i agree....but i do remember when the program was a hair away from being dropped.

i posted on the fb board about the brand we are selling recruits....rutgers university doesn't resonate with a great athletic tradition in the minds of many who follow ncca athletics.
this isn't a knock on the athletes and coaches.they have done what they could with minimal support until a decade ago.

i blame the administration that for years brushed athletics off as an after thought.these sons of bitches thought ru was the public univ version of an ivy league school. how the hell are you suppose to compete when your this late with support.
it's a minor miracle that we are holding our own after the eddie jordan mistake...the flood ash mistake and the way wrestling was supported.

we should always aspire to be the best and never lose sight of that goal...we are in the best conf. in the ncaa.. thank god these fools got that one right...but we are still who we are we are RUTGERS....not mich. not ohio st., not ped st. we will always struggle to lure the best athletes locally and nationally......sometimes you have to look back to see where we were twenty years ago and how depressing it was before we took athletics seriously......i have seen progress... being an older poster makes me a little wiser and, not as inpatient as a younger poster.....i'll most likely be gone when ru makes it's mark in the big ten and, nationally.......but we will make it

Reactions: elvis7
Purdue has a decent team this year and Minnesota is down this year except for Gable Stevenson. Things run in cycles. We are 13-5 so far with the chance to add 3 more. That is not a bad record. Then we have the two toughest tournaments in the country, the Big Tens and NCAAs. We lost two big guns in Alvarez and AA Turley.

Purdue is 10-4 in duals and 4-3 in conference. They don’t wrestle Michigan or Penn State. They lost to Michigan State also. Minny is under .500 and 3-4 in conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT