ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts Rider (Thursday), No. 6 Ohio State (Sunday) Match Thread

Damn it … can’t have your two hammers go 0-2 … was a great start, crappy result … thought with 3 starters out that they would cross OSU off the bucket list. Oh well, give credit to OSU. Maybe next year.
IF couldn't beat them yesterday what makes you think they will beat them next year. This was a gift win and still could not get it done.

Purdue has a decent team this year and Minnesota is down this year except for Gable Stevenson. Things run in cycles. We are 13-5 so far with the chance to add 3 more. That is not a bad record. Then we have the two toughest tournaments in the country, the Big Tens and NCAAs. We lost two big guns in Alvarez and AA Turley.

Exactly but optics play a big part in success and how you are perceived... Minnesota is historically a top program so any time you can knock them off it looks great, even if they are slightly down this year (just like OSU). Purdue capitalized on that opportunity, which is something we haven't been great at recently. Those opportunities don't come around very often so they are extremely important and defintiely help with recruiting, national perception, etc.

Purdue has a decent team this year and Minnesota is down this year except for Gable Stevenson. Things run in cycles. We are 13-5 so far with the chance to add 3 more. That is not a bad record. Then we have the two toughest tournaments in the country, the Big Tens and NCAAs. We lost two big guns in Alvarez and AA Turley.
Again, RU record of 13-5 sounds great on paper but if you dig a little deeper most of those wins were against NJCU, Cleveland St, Binghamton, Clarion, Davidson, UT-Chattanooga, Hofstra, American, Army. I mean what decent power 5 team wouldn't be expected to pound those teams? We are 2-5 in conference and have only beaten 2 bad teams in Indian and Illinois. That is the measuring stick to use not that they beat up on some lower level bad teams early in the year.

Reactions: mjckrash
Very disappointed in our team. There's no slouch in OSU team, but Poz and Bulsak need to both win those matches against their backups.

I just going to give my opinion for what it is worth. Matches in dual meets are important for the dual. You have to understand they are learning experiences. The BIG schedule is brutal. I have the utmost confidence in our wrestlers and will learn from these matches. The goal is to peak at the right time. The BIG Ten tourn and eventually the NCAA Tourn. I am not concerned what is happened to date. I have the utmost confidence in our coaching staff to make the right adjustments. Just be patient and stop overreacting. Take it from a parent who has been down this situation. You all need to Chill. IMO!!!

IF couldn't beat them yesterday what makes you think they will beat them next year. This was a gift win and still could not get it done.

That was probably our only shot against them for the next 5 years at least. They are loading up in recruiting and our recruiting is pretty stale relative to the top dogs. That was one of the most disappointing matches I’ve been to.

I just going to give my opinion for what it is worth. Matches in dual meets are important for the dual. You have to understand they are learning experiences. The BIG schedule is brutal. I have the utmost confidence in our wrestlers and will learn from these matches. The goal is to peak at the right time. The BIG Ten tourn and eventually the NCAA Tourn. I am not concerned what is happened to date. I have the utmost confidence in our coaching staff to make the right adjustments. Just be patient and stop overreacting. Take it from a parent who has been down this situation. You all need to Chill. IMO!!!
I’m so chilled, it’s freezing. I have no doubt there will be an individual tournament surprise and many here will take that as further validation of the program’s progress. But it is patently clear that Rutgers cannot play(=win) with the big boys. Compete, yes, but win, no. It’s a DNA thing.

Yes Judge it was very disappointing events we all have attended so just think how badly the coaches and wrestlers feel?

Very disappointed in our team. There's no slouch in OSU team, but Poz and Bulsak need to both win those matches against their backups.
Didn't realize that Hoffman was their backup. Lost to #2 Dean in SV on Friday and by one point to Iowa's #7 recently. $$$$

Reactions: Leonard23
What a bunch of crybabies ...geez ya know what ..I woke up Monday like I do everyday ..on the right side of the grass ...it’s a college wrestling match for Gods sake ..we are fans ...we are not the wrestlers or coaches who went through it in person ...I’m sure they all feel horrible about a missed opportunity but for a bunch of you guys to keep crying about it is comical ...you got what you paid for ..if it ain’t good enough then stop crying and talk with your wallets instead of crying here about it

Reactions: rubigtimenow
A bad loss (not fair to mention they were w/o starters w/o mentioning we are too) is not an indication that the program is not trending upwards. You think if Ohio St lost they’d be calling for the coach’s heads and crying that they’re never gonna be on top again? Last year we had 3 All Americans even with the Sammy debacle. That ever happened before? Last year 2 semi-finalists, how many times that happened? Few years ago we had 2 NC, that ever happen before? You’re not gonna go from perennial 1 AA every year to 4-5 overnight, it’s a process, and if you don’t see the program trending upwards then your blind. Trending doesnt mean every week is better than the last. My god if I judged my business each individual month I’d be having a heart attack like you guys every few months. Even if you are trending upwards, there are going to be some let downs. Not many wrestlers win every match they’re supposed to, yet every time one of our wrestlers gets upset, it’s “oh my good this guy lost his fire” or, “he’s regressed,” or “he’s not clutch.” How about he just didn’t wrestle his best match? or…oh my god had an off night. This is how silly this is, if Buksak gets an OT TD NONE of this convo is happening, it’s ALL about how we beat Ohio St for first time ever and we are in our way to the upper tier of B10!

What a bunch of crybabies ...geez ya know what ..I woke up Monday like I do everyday ..on the right side of the grass ...it’s a college wrestling match for Gods sake ..we are fans ...we are not the wrestlers or coaches who went through it in person ...I’m sure they all feel horrible about a missed opportunity but for a bunch of you guys to keep crying about it is comical ...you got what you paid for ..if it ain’t good enough then stop crying and talk with your wallets instead of crying here about it
I’m not sure I understand what money has to do with key guys losing key matches or even the general condition of the program. Explain that to me like I’m in the third grade.

I’m not sure I understand what money has to do with key guys losing key matches or even the general condition of the program. Explain that to me like I’m in the third grade.
Money pays for better resident athletes to train at the facility. Better resident athletes usually means the roster will improve at a higher rate.

In either event, top 10 wrestlers shouldn’t be losing to unranked guys

I hope all of you realize , that this team was below average in the EIWA, and now we are relatively competitive in the Big Ten. I don't know what a lot of you want, but coming from a former RU wrestler,it is tough being intense every single match. Everyone was Poz's and Bulsak's number one fan when they were consistently winning and now they've had a couple setbacks....and they suck now?. It happens ladies and gentlemen. I've lost too less than 500 wrestlers, during the season. It happens. You have a stellar ranking and record, people are on counting you and hyping you up and then.... you get a tune up match with a kid who's not ranked who's totally up for it and you're just taking it nonchalantly. That's an easy way to get beat. In D1, anyone can beat anybody. There's a fine line between a Low All American and a top 20 kid. I'm not trying to be Pro Rutgers, rah rah wrestling fan here, because I've been one of the more critical and vocal people about their performances over the years. In this case these two young men need us to support them, instead of criticizing. Think about it...10 years ago did we have a Greg Bulsak as a 197 pounder??? Or even Poz as an All-American freshman? Not even close. We had a couple 500 record, Region Champions on our team. Maybe an occasional state champion. Now we have state champions at our disposal. That's harsh reality. Also I've criticized Goody in the past, but look what this man has done. Seriously! The guy was a high school coach yet he's now competing with the likes of a Chris Bono, Tom Ryan, and others. Maybe not at that level yet, but pretty damn close. To have him be put in the conversation to be replaced is insane. Greg Schiano... yes he should not be coaching Rutgers and being paid the way he's is.You never saw Goody jump ship to another team while his top recruits are being televised on TV have you? Do you see Goody asking for his own personal chef and private jet? But for some odd reason everybody gives Schiano a pass on a lousy record and team. Poz and Bulsak will rebound. I have a strong feeling that both of them are going to All American. You got to also remember that kid Gavin Hoffman that Bulsak lost to is a potential All-American. Don't let his ranking fool you. That kid is really good. Anyway give those two a break. Suriano had three losses in a row, yet won a national championship for us

Money pays for better resident athletes to train at the facility. Better resident athletes usually means the roster will improve at a higher rate.
I understand that Penn State, Iowa, and Penn have a lot of money. I don't know about the other programs. Does Missouri, NC State, Wisonsin, Virginia Tech, and Nebraska have more money that we have? How much money do we spend in a year compared to schools in the top ten other than Iowa and Penn State?

Crackers
You are spot on! Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State have NCAA champs by the handfuls at their RTC make ove $100k to train with their college kids. Penn will soon be in that league with Burroughs, Hall, McFadden, McKenna, etc. money and talent make the wheel go round.

Reactions: elvis7
I understand that Penn State, Iowa, and Penn have a lot of money. I don't know about the other programs. Does Missouri, NC State, Wisonsin, Virginia Tech, and Nebraska have more money that we have? How much money do we spend in a year compared to schools in the top ten other than Iowa and Penn State?
Not sure but while we have lost to those teams I don’t think we’re all that far behind. We’re in the 10-20 range depending on who’s healthy and how weights shake out. I think that’s a good thing as long as we continue to trend upward

Greg Schiano... yes he should not be coaching Rutgers and being paid the way he's is. You never saw Goody jump ship to another team while his top recruits are being televised on TV have you? Do you see Goody asking for his own personal chef and private jet? But for some odd reason everybody gives Schiano a pass on a lousy record and team.
WTF?

Schiano's one of the lowest paid coaches in the B1G. He went on to coach at the pinnacle of the profession, the NFL. Where's Goodale going to move up the ladder? Being a B1G head coach is pretty much the pinnacle. Schiano doesn't have a personal chef and the jet isn't his he gets permission from the boosters to use it. No one is giving him a pass they just know where the team is coming from. It took Goodale years upon years to make us relevant. I know I was there since they moved matches to the RAC.

I have no problem with you defending Goodale but not at the expense of another one of our coaches. Especially when you're embellishing the facts or don't even know them to make your point. Goodale has been given everything he needs from the school, don't make this like Schiano is taking from him or unfairly getting more.

Yeah he's one of the lowest paid coaches at one of the worst programs in the big 10...consistently. If anything ,Jim Harbaugh should be more aggravated because he only makes a little bit more then Schiano and you cannot compare Rutgers football to the Wolverines. And schiano also gets a lot more perks than some of those other coaches. So he's right in the median when it comes to overall rewards and salary. And regarding him jumping tothe NFL. I'm not the only one who was aggravated about that. When you got your two top recruits sitting there watching him Ink a deal with the Buccaneers that says about a man's character. How'd that work out by the way? Him getting rehired by Rutgers was a gift. Oh and thank you for your blessing on saying you have no problem defending goodale but not at the expense of other coaches. What are you...a mediator, and voice of reason on the Scarlet Nation? I also never said that Schiano was taking anything away from him. I gave an example of reward versus return. If that were the case , you could not put Goodale and Schiano in the same sentence. Also if you were to make that comparison of what goodale brings in on a smaller scale compared to what Schiano does, it's not even an argument.

In either event, top 10 wrestlers shouldn’t be losing to unranked guys
Who was unranked? Bulsak lost to #20. And Jordan is currently ranked #20. Jordan is a good wrestler and unfortunately is behind Romero. Last year Jordan reached the fourth wrestle back round in the NCAAs and is a two time qualifier. He ain't no slouch.

Yeah he's one of the lowest paid coaches at one of the worst programs in the big 10...consistently. If anything ,Jim Harbaugh should be more aggravated because he only makes a little bit more then Schiano and you cannot compare Rutgers football to the Wolverines. And schiano also gets a lot more perks than some of those other coaches. So he's right in the median when it comes to overall rewards and salary. And regarding him jumping tothe NFL. I'm not the only one who was aggravated about that. When you got your two top recruits sitting there watching him Ink a deal with the Buccaneers that says about a man's character. How'd that work out by the way? Him getting rehired by Rutgers was a gift. Oh and thank you for your blessing on saying you have no problem defending goodale but not at the expense of other coaches. What are you...a mediator, and voice of reason on the Scarlet Nation? I also never said that Schiano was taking anything away from him. I gave an example of reward versus return. If that were the case , you could not put Goodale and Schiano in the same sentence. Also if you were to make that comparison of what goodale brings in on a smaller scale compared to what Schiano does, it's not even an argument.
What are you talking about? Jim Harbaugh had a base salary of $4 mil. he then earned $3.5 million in incentives. They switched to an incentive-based salary. Schiano's total package is for $4 mil., not just base. How in the world is this a little bit more? What other coaches and what perks? Median of B1G coaches? You couldn't be more wrong.

As to your other points nothing but gibberish.

So jumping to a bigger and more prestigious job is grounds for questionable character? You must think millions upon millions have questionable character because it happens all the time. There's no quantitative way you can assert Goodale's worth to Schiano's. Yet you tried, with your small scale vs. bigger scale argument. What the hell does that even mean? How does that comparison work?

Reactions: TRU2RU
I hope all of you realize , that this team was below average in the EIWA, and now we are relatively competitive in the Big Ten. I don't know what a lot of you want, but coming from a former RU wrestler,it is tough being intense every single match. Everyone was Poz's and Bulsak's number one fan when they were consistently winning and now they've had a couple setbacks....and they suck now?. It happens ladies and gentlemen. I've lost too less than 500 wrestlers, during the season. It happens. You have a stellar ranking and record, people are on counting you and hyping you up and then.... you get a tune up match with a kid who's not ranked who's totally up for it and you're just taking it nonchalantly. That's an easy way to get beat. In D1, anyone can beat anybody. There's a fine line between a Low All American and a top 20 kid. I'm not trying to be Pro Rutgers, rah rah wrestling fan here, because I've been one of the more critical and vocal people about their performances over the years. In this case these two young men need us to support them, instead of criticizing. Think about it...10 years ago did we have a Greg Bulsak as a 197 pounder??? Or even Poz as an All-American freshman? Not even close. We had a couple 500 record, Region Champions on our team. Maybe an occasional state champion. Now we have state champions at our disposal. That's harsh reality. Also I've criticized Goody in the past, but look what this man has done. Seriously! The guy was a high school coach yet he's now competing with the likes of a Chris Bono, Tom Ryan, and others. Maybe not at that level yet, but pretty damn close. To have him be put in the conversation to be replaced is insane. Greg Schiano... yes he should not be coaching Rutgers and being paid the way he's is.You never saw Goody jump ship to another team while his top recruits are being televised on TV have you? Do you see Goody asking for his own personal chef and private jet? But for some odd reason everybody gives Schiano a pass on a lousy record and team. Poz and Bulsak will rebound. I have a strong feeling that both of them are going to All American. You got to also remember that kid Gavin Hoffman that Bulsak lost to is a potential All-American. Don't let his ranking fool you. That kid is really good. Anyway give those two a break. Suriano had three losses in a row, yet won a national championship for us
Well said !

Reactions: elvis7
Who was unranked? Bulsak lost to #20. And Jordan is currently ranked #20. Jordan is a good wrestler and unfortunately is behind Romero. Last year Jordan reached the fourth wrestle back round in the NCAAs and is a two time qualifier. He ain't no slouch.
Neither was listed as ranked on the Rutgers broadcast

Hoffman was ranked 20, 20 and 21 by 3 ranking services. Check the program. Jordan was 11-4 and not ranked at 184 cause the starter Romero was ranked as they don’t rank backups

Reactions: dollarbill
What are you talking about? Jim Harbaugh had a base salary of $4 mil. he then earned $3.5 million in incentives. They switched to an incentive-based salary. Schiano's total package is for $4 mil., not just base. How in the world is this a little bit more? What other coaches and what perks? Median of B1G coaches? You couldn't be more wrong.

As to your other points nothing but gibberish.

So jumping to a bigger and more prestigious job is grounds for questionable character? You must think millions upon millions have questionable character because it happens all the time. There's no quantitative way you can assert Goodale's worth to Schiano's. Yet you tried, with your small scale vs. bigger scale argument. What the hell does that even mean? How does that comparison work?
It’s really comparing apples and oranges. Both coaches have done monumental jobs. Can’t really blame Schiano for taking of the best 32 jobs in his profession although I was admittedly upset with him like most at the time. Also think he’s the right guy and has us back on track. Is he flawless, absolutely not but look what happened when he left. He built this thing from the ground floor the first time and is essentially doing it again only this time does have some better resources, facilities and $ for coaches (which was mainly due to what he built the first time). Goodale has also taken a 50 person setting and turned it into 4000-5000 and one of top in Country. But comparing big time College FB to Wrestling is not in the same stratosphere and that’s no insult to the athletes it’s just the truth. I actually enjoy wrestling more.

I hope all of you realize , that this team was below average in the EIWA, and now we are relatively competitive in the Big Ten. I don't know what a lot of you want, but coming from a former RU wrestler,it is tough being intense every single match. Everyone was Poz's and Bulsak's number one fan when they were consistently winning and now they've had a couple setbacks....and they suck now?. It happens ladies and gentlemen. I've lost too less than 500 wrestlers, during the season. It happens. You have a stellar ranking and record, people are on counting you and hyping you up and then.... you get a tune up match with a kid who's not ranked who's totally up for it and you're just taking it nonchalantly. That's an easy way to get beat. In D1, anyone can beat anybody. There's a fine line between a Low All American and a top 20 kid. I'm not trying to be Pro Rutgers, rah rah wrestling fan here, because I've been one of the more critical and vocal people about their performances over the years. In this case these two young men need us to support them, instead of criticizing. Think about it...10 years ago did we have a Greg Bulsak as a 197 pounder??? Or even Poz as an All-American freshman? Not even close. We had a couple 500 record, Region Champions on our team. Maybe an occasional state champion. Now we have state champions at our disposal. That's harsh reality. Also I've criticized Goody in the past, but look what this man has done. Seriously! The guy was a high school coach yet he's now competing with the likes of a Chris Bono, Tom Ryan, and others. Maybe not at that level yet, but pretty damn close. To have him be put in the conversation to be replaced is insane.

Well said !

The universe is in upheaval and unbalanced when Crackers and Harley are in agreement

This years Valentine’s Day couple lol

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jersey Boys
This years Valentine’s Day couple lol
Now that was pretty funny. Oh boy that's going to be the angle we are going to take now.?Now me and Harley are having a lovers spat, but finally reconciled? I still think Harley is a dick head. When he or she or whatever it is ,wrestles as many rounds in the NCAA tournament as I have I'll take whatever it is opinion to heart

The guy spoke the truth for once ...must be back on his meds !
You know it really pains me to converse with you ,but the reality is , you never get to the point with anyting. I'm at least factual and tell it like it is. I can't tell you how many of your posts talk about my Boone's Farm and Trailer Park escapades, in relation to how many actual post that you make are related to wrestling. So the whole SSRI drug thing that you think I need really doesn't apply in any circumstances. By the way I know who you are, and you should be ashamed of yourself the way you act. Not representing the team or the administration properly. Never thought I'd hear that stuff out of you

You know it really pains me to converse with you ,but the reality is , you never get to the point with anyting. I'm at least factual and tell it like it is. I can't tell you how many of your posts talk about my Boone's Farm and Trailer Park escapades, in relation to how many actual post that you make are related to wrestling. So the whole SSRI drug thing that you think I need really doesn't apply in any circumstances. By the way I know who you are, and you should be ashamed of yourself the way you act. Not representing the team or the administration properly. Never thought I'd hear that stuff out of you
Don't be dissing Boones farm and Trailer Parks!!!!
Reminds me of home (upstate NY)

Oh boy ..what the hell are you talking about .....you came back to earth for a few days and actually talk rationally and how am I not representing the team or the school ...I call you to task when you bludgeon kids shamefully to the point their parents wanna kick your ass and I give credit where credit is due ...for a change you actually added some insight to Poz and Bulsak performance ...now I guess your back off your meds somehow and I’m not doing good by the school or the team ...I gotta hear the bottom of a bottle explanation of that comment .

Oh boy ..what the hell are you talking about .....you came back to earth for a few days and actually talk rationally and how am I not representing the team or the school ...I call you to task when you bludgeon kids shamefully to the point their parents wanna kick your ass and I give credit where credit is due ...for a change you actually added some insight to Poz and Bulsak performance ...now I guess your back off your meds somehow and I’m not doing good by the school or the team ...I gotta hear the bottom of a bottle explanation of that comment .
I knew it was just a matter of time Before we got this thread back on track!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT