ADVERTISEMENT

No. 21 Rutgers Wrestling Opens 2022-23 Dual Season with Clarion at College Ave. Gym, road Saturday to face Sacred Heart and No. 6 Arizona State

History and politics have taught us that memories are short. This thread is showing that too. Remember how everyone got religion when Janzer spoke up? I hope O'Neill isn't reading or Janzer isn't relaying comments.

I think O'Neill can do better. He has had to suck weight and can be weakened as a result. Remember, just last year we were told he couldn't make 165. Remember also what happened to Sammy when he was cutting too much. Perhaps O'Neill can get more comfortable at the weight and do better. Gayer still has four matches left to show how he compares. If O'Neill is still the strongest of the two, he deserves to have the spot, otherwise, Gayer will be getting beat up on the mat and in this forum.

This overall discussion is a wee bit early this year; it usually happens a little later after the WTF moment. Just hope that 165 is the only weak point. I've been cautioning about 174 and 197 too. And reinjuries there could leave a pretty big gap.

I've given up on my push for Soldano to go 197, for now. I suspect there was a lot of reluctance with Poz deciding to redshirt. Can't happen again next year, we need both guys in the line-up. Best to start now in preparing someone to go 197.

125 seems to have some tension. I've read here that Shawver and Peterson don't practice together and Shawver believes the starting spot is his. I don't know if he believes that he's the strongest or just believes that he deserves it, but he has wrestled and eliminated his redshirt option. It wouldn't be the worst thing if both wrestled this year, but one would be denied the postseason. Might one start working on gaining weight back and targeting 133?

141 is pretty solid with Olivieri waiting in the wings should Sammy lay an egg. I'm happy to see White developing this year and won't be surprised if he does pretty well. 157 and up will be more questionable with the exception of 184 and maybe heavyweight.

I live out of state and Friday night was the first time that I got to see several of our guys. Is there any chance Soldano moves down? He's built like a brick s-house, and I don't know if he's cutting to get to where he's at.

Agreed. If it was all about money, then Penn State wouldn’t have 20 potential all Americans on their roster while only using 9.9 scholarships to fill the room.
I guess all recruits are potential AA or NQ bc Penn state does not have 20 guys that can AA.. they got what 6 AA last year? They win titles by recruiting high level guys that can go deep n win at nationals not 3 NQ at every weight.. when one of their starters go down, Howard, they r scrambling to find guys to fill in n add a bunch of plug n plays or find a transfer. I don’t think they had many years they had 10 scoring weights now that I think bout it.. but anyways what I think Cael does underrated is manage his stud’s time line well.. Cstar, Brooks, Dean, RBY use all their eligibility and once they are done a new blue chipper pops in.. just like the previous cycle n cycle before that..

I guess all recruits are potential AA or NQ bc Penn state does not have 20 guys that can AA.. they got what 6 AA last year? They win titles by recruiting high level guys that can go deep n win at nationals not 3 NQ at every weight.. when one of their starters go down, Howard, they r scrambling to find guys to fill in n add a bunch of plug n plays or find a transfer. I don’t think they had many years they had 10 scoring weights now that I think bout it.. but anyways what I think Cael does underrated is manage his stud’s time line well.. Cstar, Brooks, Dean, RBY use all their eligibility and once they are done a new blue chipper pops in.. just like the previous cycle n cycle before that..
I should have said NQ’s. They don’t have 20 guys that can NQ this year but they certainly have at least 20 guys that can be NQ’s at some point in their college career and I would argue that close to 10 guys will be all Americans by the time it’s all done. Hell, 4 of them have already won national titles.

I should have said NQ’s. They don’t have 20 guys that can NQ this year but they certainly have at least 20 guys that can be NQ’s at some point in their college career and I would argue that close to 10 guys will be all Americans by the time it’s all done. Hell, 4 of them have already won national titles.
Only 4 National Titles? That leaves 6 for RU!!!!

NQ at some point in career maybe but they don’t have 20 active eligible wrestlers(not on RS /inj etc). They don’t have any NQ at 125 rn.. Steen doesn’t look like he will make it this year.. maybe some point in career but who knows once Howard healthy.. for the upper weight backups rn only one I can think of is Nevills.. the rest won’t c the light of the mat long as murders row is still there.. they r very thin in backups up there until their new recruits come..157 is the only weight might be 3 active NQ level w/ Bear claw/ J Lee/ Haines.. as this is will be roster battle weight .. every other weight looks set with studs and we will figure it out if they get injured situations. Ur prolly right on 10 active AA at some point.. every recruiting cycle Cael seems to get at least 4 ncaa champs somehow.. Taylor/Ruth/Nico/Wright.. then Zain/nolf/Nickal/Hall/Joseph.. then this years murder’s row..

NQ at some point in career maybe but they don’t have 20 active eligible wrestlers(not on RS /inj etc). They don’t have any NQ at 125 rn.. Steen doesn’t look like he will make it this year.. maybe some point in career but who knows once Howard healthy.. for the upper weight backups rn only one I can think of is Nevills.. the rest won’t c the light of the mat long as murders row is still there.. they r very thin in backups up there until their new recruits come..157 is the only weight might be 3 active NQ level w/ Bear claw/ J Lee/ Haines.. as this is will be roster battle weight .. every other weight looks set with studs and we will figure it out if they get injured situations. Ur prolly right on 10 active AA at some point.. every recruiting cycle Cael seems to get at least 4 ncaa champs somehow.. Taylor/Ruth/Nico/Wright.. then Zain/nolf/Nickal/Hall/Joseph.. then this years murder’s row..
Don’t forget Cassar in that second group. Not to mention Nick Lee who was in between that group and the current roster. And technically Suriano was apart of that eras recruiting class even if he won his titles elsewhere.

Reactions: KidDagger
That is not what I said, here is what I said-
"Gayer, had one of his 5 at the Princeton open. He went 2-2, lost to HS senior 10-3. If he was better than O'Neill he would be starting.
I get it we are in trouble at 165, but the best kid in the room is starting"

He will wrestle at the Open in California next weekend, lets see how he does. My point is if anyone were better than O'Neill they would be starting.
Thanks for clarifying.

My point (maybe not well expressed) was only that Gayer should at least be given consideration to wrestle some dual matches to gain experience and not just wrestle opens against weaker competition…when or if circumstances allow (i.e., depending on the opponent).

I agree that O’Neill is the starter and the coaches know best. The season is early and things will play out. If Kanniard regains his health, it might be a platoon between he and O’Neill, depending on the opponent and with consideration to giving one of them enough matches to qualify for the NCAA tournament. Who knows? I trust the coaches will figure it out.

The concern with ONeil is that he hasn’t shown improvement since he got here. We should be rooting for him to turn it around but if he doesn’t they have to consider giving someone else a shot. And of course eyes on the portal.

Reactions: mikemessner
ADVERTISEMENT