ADVERTISEMENT

No. 21 Rutgers Wrestling Opens 2022-23 Dual Season with Clarion at College Ave. Gym, road Saturday to face Sacred Heart and No. 6 Arizona State

Really wish Casale stayed at 197 unless the planned is for Poz to go 197 at some point

Pretty inexcusable actually, especially with way you say he wrestled. Maybe he got lessons from Grello
He didn't shoot until OT. The other kid did absolutely nothing as well, but he's the backup. Janzer had two shots in OT and couldn't get the takedown on both and lost on the counter of one. His finishes need a lot of work. Real bad match for him.

Anyone of our guys wrestling at the open tournament tomorrow? Any news on when Raimo competes?

Soldano is the real deal and wrestles a style that can get him a national championship. Redshirting next year and waiting for Aaron Brooks to graduate would give him an extra shot at it. No one is beating Brooks. I’m pretty sure he has 3 years of eligibility left despite being out of high school for like 5 years.

This year is hasn’t been good but to say awful overall isn’t fair. Have some very talented wrestlers including Peterson, Soldano, Alvarez, Poz, etc
True but don't forget that Alvarez chose NC St. out of HS and Peterson chose Princeton out of HS. Neither chose to commit to Goodale until circumstances changed.

• Sad
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Tired of moral victories but here’s the bright side. We lost by 9. Three of which were gifted because of a medical fft, and the remaining 6 could have been had if Janzer gets his SV takedown. Not to mention the headgear toss which is flat out stupid.

Frustrating because we’ve been in these 5-5, 6-4 splits forever and can’t seem to get someone to step up and win one we’re not supposed to.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Peterson has much higher upside and needs to be in the lineup if healthy. Same goes with Soldano.
I agree with this take. If Shawver leaves he leaves. Peterson is younger and has more upside. Soldano goes where he feels most comfortable. I like Poz but I've never seen anything like Soldano at Rutgers at an upperweight. He's absolutely destroying kids that went to NCAA's. I thought Montalvo would be a true test but he absolutely took him apart..

Soldano is the real deal and wrestles a style that can get him a national championship. Redshirting next year and waiting for Aaron Brooks to graduate would give him an extra shot at it. No one is beating Brooks. I’m pretty sure he has 3 years of eligibility left despite being out of high school for like 5 years.
I don’t think anyone is stopping brooks from last years competitor.. if anyone is stopping him it’s going to be a new force that comes in as a fresh phenom just like when Brooks came in on the scene.

I agree with this take. If Shawver leaves he leaves. Peterson is younger and has more upside. Soldano goes where he feels most comfortable. I like Poz but I've never seen anything like Soldano at Rutgers at an upperweight. He's absolutely destroying kids that went to NCAA's. I thought Montalvo would be a true test but he absolutely took him apart..
We seem to have a old guard mentality… remember how long it took Turley to win starting spot?

Reactions: koleszar
A side note, I'd much rather watch us lose to a top 5 team than destroying the sisters of the poor to pad our win total. Gives us a lot more answers on what to expect as the season moves along.
Hence my earlier statement of wishing we wrestled Oklahoma instead of Sacred Heart. OU is a team we should beat but isn't a complete scrub like Sacred Heart is.

A side note, I'd much rather watch us lose to a top 5 team than destroying the sisters of the poor to pad our win total. Gives us a lot more answers on what to expect as the season moves along.
100%. Much better to get realistic view of who needs what improvements. Good warmup for B1Gs.

Tony White got a real test and did okay. Granted he was dominated, but he kept it close, hustled and can improve on it.

The biggest disappointment was O'Neil getting cradled. I know he works hard and is a great teammate, but a performance like that is just a liability. Kainard needs to be our guy if this continues. We all know he looks better at 165 anyway.

Reactions: koleszar
100%. Tony White got a real test and did okay. Granted he was dominated, but he kept it close, hustled and can improve on it.

The biggest disappointment was O'Neil getting cradled. I know he works hard and is a great teammate, but a performance like that is just a liability. Kainard needs to be our guy if this continues. We all know he looks better at 165 anyway.
Unless Kannaird is legitimately injured, he has to be the 165 lb starter moving forward. O'Neill just isn't it, I'm afraid. Doesn't have the confidence and mental game to be successful at this level.

He's very tentative. I'd be okay with Gayer wrestling too. That's as long as he's improving. Just like Clark of last year.
Does Griffith at Stanford have any more eligibility after this season? Maybe he can graduate from Stanford and do what Sea Bass did...come home as a grad transfer at 165 and try to win a NC at home in front of friends and family and not 3000 miles away.

Does Griffith at Stanford have any more eligibility after this season? Maybe he can graduate from Stanford and do what Sea Bass did...come home as a grad transfer at 165 and try to win a NC at home in front of friends and family and not 3000 miles away.
As far as I know Griffith is all about education and a degree. Most people think Michigan if he wrestles anywhere other than Stanford. I don't know him whatsoever, but that's what people have stated in "The Wrestling Room" (fb group).

Based on the kids who competed, Wrestlestat predicted we would win 22-13. So we underperformed as a team. ASU didn't wrestle four of their All Americans. They had 7 kids making their debut in an ASU singlet.

There were questionable calls against Shawver. He lost to kid who was wrestling his first varsity match. Heilmann got majored against a returning All American. Sammy started off sloppy, rebounded, and showed he can beat anyone. Really talented. White put up a good fight against a Parco who finished 8th last year. White's future is bright. Clark lacked offense: but beat a red-shirt freshman with a good ride-out and an escape. O"Neil lacks confidence and not yet at a level to compete. Turley remains a question.. On second take-down against him, hit head and had to default. Can he return to prior AA level? Soldano is the real deal and worth the price of admission. He will go far. Janzer lost in OT to a back-up and hardly took a shot. Boone's added weight should serve him well. He pinned ASU's back-up.

We have two guys who can go really far at NCAAs - Alvarez and Soldano. Peterson seems to have a higher up side than Shawver, Heilman will compete and represent us well. White is a year or two away. Clark will be a 500 wrestler against decent competition. Turley needs to stay healthy and return to freshman year form. Not confident about Janzer. Boone might make the blood round. Added weight seems to benefit him. Team really needs work on take downs. Stats indicate that only 3 guys scored takedowns,

The season is early. So there is time and room for improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: rags
I like Peterson in there. Remember that Shawver has a redshirt to use. Heilman is gone and he and Peterson could swap weights. White looks tough but could use a little better cleanup in his stance and hand-fighting. The kid is young, he'll bounce back and make NCAA"s. Clark just needs to keep his motor going at the last minute. That's what will decide between him going home or advancing at the Big 10's. O'Neil, O'Neil, O'Neil...give him another chance. I have a feeling he will turn it around. Turley...I'm sold on him anymore. He looks frustrated out there and think he has flashes of brilliance, but not consistent. I'm sensing he is just going through the motions. Soldano and the Poz argument. That is really up to them and the coaches. I would think Poz could not rush the weight gain, which would be detrimental to his development. I say redshirt him with the plan to go 97. Janzer is a tough kid, but that doesn't win matches. He wastes so much energy trying to horse kids over and push them around. It's also early in the season and let's give him some time. Don't see an AA finish out of him, but an NCAA qualifier, no doubt. Boone, looking really tough. Got a little chippy out there calling out Schultz. At this point, Boone would call it a victory and a vast improvement if he kept it to a decision with Schultz. Don't see AA ability in him, but a blood round or a 2-2 record at NCAA's is not off the table.

Reactions: gogs7
Folks
Kannaird is hurt right now so stop the 265 talk. Poz is redshirting at his request so stop the Poz to 197. Shawver and Peterson will alternate duals snd both will wrestle tournaments to see where they are at and then sort it out at the end to see who wrestled Big Tens and NCAAs. Neither will redshirt this year. Hi ole that qualifies things.

Based on the kids who competed, Wrestlestat predicted we would win 22-13. So we underperformed as a team. ASU didn't wrestle four of their All Americans. They had 7 kids making their debut in an ASU singlet.

There were questionable calls against Shawver. He lost to kid who was wrestling his first varsity match. Heilmann got majored against a returning All American. Sammy started off sloppy, rebounded, and showed he can beat anyone. Really talented. White put up a good fight against a Parco who finished 8th last year. White's future is bright. Clark lacked offense: but beat a red-shirt freshman with a good ride-out and an escape. O"Neil lacks confidence and not yet at a level to compete. Turley remains a question.. On second take-down against him, hit head and had to default. Can he return to prior AA level? Soldano is the real deal and worth the price of admission. He will go far. Janzer lost in OT to a back-up and hardly took a shot. Boone's added weight should serve him well. He pinned ASU's back-up.

We have two guys who can go really far at NCAAs - Alvarez and Soldano. Peterson seems to have a higher up side than Shawver, Heilman will compete and represent us well. White is a year or two away. Clark will be a 500 wrestler against decent competition. Turley needs to stay healthy and return to freshman year form. Not confident about Janzer. Boone might make the blood round. Added weight seems to benefit him. Team really needs work on take downs. Stats indicate that only 3 guys scored takedowns,

The season is early. So there is time and room for improvement.
Aside from RU fans, it’s still too early to tell if Alvarez AA this year… Sammy had to gut it out in the third against borderline rank 20 guy. Heilman came to us as a r16 finisher last year, that’s more wins at nationals then Bulsak before transferring here.. but for some reason I dont think he will end up on podium like Bulsak did.. hope I’m wrong.. Clark has been a pleasant surprise I think he will continue to impress…Turley has done nothing to show he will return to AA form.. injuries suck..Boone gotta make nationals first before being a blood round threat.. he looked good out tonight tho..

I like Peterson in there. Remember that Shawver has a redshirt to use. Heilman is gone and he and Peterson could swap weights. White looks tough but could use a little better cleanup in his stance and hand-fighting. The kid is young, he'll bounce back and make NCAA"s. Clark just needs to keep his motor going at the last minute. That's what will decide between him going home or advancing at the Big 10's. O'Neil, O'Neil, O'Neil...give him another chance. I have a feeling he will turn it around. Turley...I'm sold on him anymore. He looks frustrated out there and think he has flashes of brilliance, but not consistent. I'm sensing he is just going through the motions. Soldano and the Poz argument. That is really up to them and the coaches. I would think Poz could not rush the weight gain, which would be detrimental to his development. I say redshirt him with the plan to go 97. Janzer is a tough kid, but that doesn't win matches. He wastes so much energy trying to horse kids over and push them around. It's also early in the season and let's give him some time. Don't see an AA finish out of him, but an NCAA qualifier, no doubt. Boone, looking really tough. Got a little chippy out there calling out Schultz. At this point, Boone would call it a victory and a vast improvement if he kept it to a decision with Schultz. Don't see AA ability in him, but a blood round or a 2-2 record at NCAA's is not off the table.
On vacation and haven't watched yet, but seems like a solid write up based on what I've seen this far and what I ve been told.

I don't think shawver can rs anymore bc of today. But agreed we need both of those guys in the line up in the future.
White has been a solid guy making steps forward. Can't wait to see this match and how he develops this year.
Clark has been a surprise so far but need to see it at the big ten level.
Who knows what we got at 65.
Turley I disagree with. I think w the injuries and coming back, things are going to take time. Plus he looked his best when he was strong and punishing guys. That is prob one of the things that takes the longest to get back to when hurt.

Folks
Kannaird is hurt right now so stop the 265 talk. Poz is redshirting at his request so stop the Poz to 197. Shawver and Peterson will alternate duals snd both will wrestle tournaments to see where they are at and then sort it out at the end to see who wrestled Big Tens and NCAAs. Neither will redshirt this year. Hi ole that qualifies things.
Do you think the staff is looking at either as a long term 33 answer after heilman? Curious as to why we would use a yr of eligibility for shawver if it ends up that he doesn't start.

Folks
Thanks Bill.

I think most people are thinking long term for now. Ideally we want Soldano and Poz in the lineup at the same time and not alternating redshirt years and thus not being able to put our best wrestlers on the mat. Hopefully one of them is able to bump a different weight next year to achieve this. Same goes with Shawver and Peterson. Shawver has been great stability for RU but it’s obvious given his pedigree and performances that Peterson is the higher upsides guy but let the best man win.

Reactions: SCNJ
Shawver thinks he is the guy at 125 so he does not want to redshirt. Dean thinks he is the guy so battle it out they will. The Poz/Soldano thing will be solved next year. Let’s worry about Soldano as the guy this year

Shawver thinks he is the guy at 125 so he does not want to redshirt. Dean thinks he is the guy so battle it out they will. The Poz/Soldano thing will be solved next year. Let’s worry about Soldano as the guy this year
This is why they should just wrestle off to see if Shawver should RS or not… now there’s a decent chance he’s just going to waste a year of eligibility..

This is why they should just wrestle off to see if Shawver should RS or not… now there’s a decent chance he’s just going to waste a year of eligibility..
Wrestleoff is just one data point. By alternating duals you’ll rack up an entire season of data points to make your decision. It’s sucks one of them is going to burn a year of eligibility but the fact that we have this problem where we have multiple NQs at one weight indicates a program that’s still on the rise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT