ADVERTISEMENT

No. 22 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts Indiana (Friday), No. 13 Purdue (Sunday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Indiana Predictions:

125: Aguilar - W (RU 3-0)
133: Alvarez - W MD (RU 7-0)
141: Aragona - W (RU 10-0)
149: Santos - L (RU 10-3)
157: MVB - L (RU 10-6)
165: Donner - W (RU 13-6)
174: Oliveri/Scott - L MD (RU 13-10)
184: Janzer - W MD (RU 17-10)
197: Pagano/Correnti - W (RU 20-10)
285: Esposito - W (RU 23-10)

- Aguilar needs to wrestle smart because if he slips up, Cronin could easily beat him as he just knocked off #6 Schroder (Purdue) in his last match.

- Should be a good match to get JoJo back on track and gain some confidence as his opponent is a also a true freshman who is 1-8 against D1 competition. He should be able to get in bonus territory easily but this would be an absolutely devastating loss if he can't get the job done for whatever reason this time around.

- Janzer's opponent is 4-14 vs D1 opponents this year, so hopefully he can get his 1st TF or pin of the season here.

Purdue Matchup: On paper I can't realistically see any way we take more than 5 matches here, so for us to have any chance we will need to limit bonus points as much as possible and have some guys over-perform in either getting bonus points or keeping slanted match-ups to decisions. Even then it will be very tough without a pin or 2 going in our favor.

1) Limit bonus points against their elite wrestlers. These seniors/upperclassmen need to stay off their backs, absolutely can't get pinned or give up multiple TFs. Need to escape these weights with only 11/12 points max.

157: MVB vs. #8 Coleman
174: Scott vs. #4 Lydy
197: Pagano vs. #5 Brunner

2) Absolutely need to win 133, 165, and 184. These are the only matches where we will be favorites so we will need bonus points from here to offset what was given up above.

133: #10 Alvarez vs. Ford-Melton
165: Donner vs. Webster
184: #23 Janzer vs. Lyon

3) Need to go 2/2 in the swing matchups. Schroder lost last week to an unranked opponent and we'll need to Aragona to step up to have any shot.

125: #14 Aguilar vs. #6 Schroder
141: Aragona vs. Filius

4) Absolutely need to keep these match-ups to a (loss) decision at worst. Any bonus points here would be impossible to overcome

149: Angelo/Santos vs. #18 Parrot
285: Esposito vs. #25 Penola

Yes we need our A game or else it will be a long day. Iowa shut out Purdue which tells you how good Iowa is.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I said before the season started I believe Iowa wins the team title and pulls off 10 AAs
I agree with you but it's not set in stone with them. Could they get 10 AA's if the tournament was wrestled tomorrow...sure! But March is still a long time and a rash of injuries will ruin any team.
Moreover I don't see Murin, Young or Warner placing in the top 4.. Especially Young and Murrin....they just aren't athletic enough. Especially at 157.

I agree with you but it's not set in stone with them. Could they get 10 AA's if the tournament was wrestled tomorrow...sure! But March is still a long time and a rash of injuries will ruin any team.
Moreover I don't see Murin, Young or Warner placing in the top 4.. Especially Young and Murrin....they just aren't athletic enough. Especially at 157.
Iowa’s team has as a good a chance to all AA as any I have ever remembered... yeah sure someone could have a bad tournament but have u seen where everyone on their team is ranked??

They have EVERYONE besides true freshman , Abe Assad, ranked in the top 4!! I believe the Cael era ends this year.. Iowa wins it this year AND next year Iowa returns EVERYONE(plus Eirman) except Lugo.. might be best team ever top to bottom tbh..

Last edited:
Reactions: nathan125
RU vs IU is first on my watch list but I can't help notice an awesome wrestling double header on BTN tonight. Penn St at Nebraska followed by Ohio St at Iowa.

Rutgers wrestling (7-3, 2-2) returns to home to host Indiana (0-5, 0-4) on Friday (7 p.m.) and No. 13 Purdue (9-2, 2-1) on Sunday (1 p.m.) at the RAC. Both matches will stream live via BTNPlus, with Lou Brogno and Nick Kosko on the call. WRSU (88.7 FM) will have the radio broadcast for the weekend home slate.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2020/1/23/no-22-wrestling-hosts-indiana-no-13-purdue.aspx

Just logged on to RU Broadcast and it is Spanish. Wife cannot be bothered to translate for me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT