ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Akron newspaper

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
In terms of the Shelby crowd though - putting them in their place with literally no retort possible is the only way to shut them up.
That is demonstrably false. In fact a big part of the definition of being a troll is that there is no logic, no beatdown, no shaming, that will deter them...because they like it. They crave the attention. Ala my signature.

Won’t be the first time Shelby has looked like a complete jacka## with his predictions on Rutgers games.
This one is no different.

Actually it is notably different.

His thing is usually about picking on our offense. He’ll tell you Greg sucks because defense alone can’t win games - punts are Greg’s favorite play, blah blah and so on.

A 24-17 prediction actually picks on our D not our O. OSU scored 35 offensive points so predicting us to put up 24 isn’t unreasonable.

But Akron’s offense is notoriously bad and Finley took quite the beating last week. If we give up 17+ points I’ll be very disappointed. I mean, for perspective, Akron only scored more than 17 regulation points twice against FBS opponents all last year. Those 2 teams (Temple and Kent State) combined for one total win over FBS opponents.

Actually it is notably different.

His thing is usually about picking on our offense. He’ll tell you Greg sucks because defense alone can’t win games - punts are Greg’s favorite play, blah blah and so on.

A 24-17 prediction actually picks on our D not our O. OSU scored 35 offensive points so predicting us to put up 24 isn’t unreasonable.

But Akron’s offense is notoriously bad and Finley took quite the beating last week. If we give up 17+ points I’ll be very disappointed. I mean, for perspective, Akron only scored more than 17 regulation points twice against FBS opponents all last year. Those 2 teams (Temple and Kent State) combined for one total win over FBS opponents.
2.0 did say “punts are the most important plays”. Seeing our playcalling and philosophy for a few years, actions do match words in that regard. It’s beyond obvious he prefers to punt than risk a pick on a third and more than 7-8 yards

2.0 did say “punts are the most important plays”. Seeing our playcalling and philosophy for a few years, actions do match words in that regard. It’s beyond obvious he prefers to punt than risk a pick on a third and more than 7-8 yards

Whatever. My point was only that your predicting our D to perform worse against Akron than most of their opponents last year and the same as Indiana and Eastern Michigan.

His DNA is "do no harm on offense". I think some of that was due to the players he was working with but he's always been quick to give up on a possession prior to 4th down.

His DNA is "do no harm on offense". I think some of that was due to the players he was working with but he's always been quick to give up on a possession prior to 4th down.
Exactly right Winfield. This is a loser's philosophy and it's disappointing most here don't see it. Many coaches actually often go on 4th these days because analytics say to. 2.0 doesn't even often legitimately go for it on 3rd unless short yardage. He'd rather punt. He basically said that, albeit with different words.

It's pathetic. Can't beat good teams that way.

Whatever. My point was only that your predicting our D to perform worse against Akron than most of their opponents last year and the same as Indiana and Eastern Michigan.
I wavered between 24-13 and 24-17. Went with the latter. Last year doesn't matter. I think UA benefits from facing fast-lane offense & talent last week and facing slow-lane offense talent this week. This is an easier game for them...and a more difficult game for us than last week's.

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
Exactly right Winfield. This is a loser's philosophy and it's disappointing most here don't see it. Many coaches actually often go on 4th these days because analytics say to. 2.0 doesn't even often legitimately go for it on 3rd unless short yardage. He'd rather punt. He basically said that, albeit with different words.

It's pathetic. Can't beat good teams that way.
What game would you say 2.0 cost us because of this philosophy?

I wavered between 24-13 and 24-17. Went with the latter. Last year doesn't matter. I think UA benefits from facing fast-lane offense & talent last week and facing slow-lane offense talent this week. This is an easier game for them...and a more difficult game for us than last week's.

Any benefit or spark from Akron was the week 1 curveball of the 2 QB system. If Finley even plays, he’s going to be extremely limited. Outside of Finley they have no new weapons from last year

What game would you say 2.0 cost us because of this philosophy?
Can’t know for sure, obviously, but unless you try to upset a better team you won’t. 2.0 plays for moral victories as an underdog. Did 2.0 ever once beat a team that was favored? That’s damning. That’s due to philosophy.

And you also fail to realize that the reason our receivers aren’t Big10 or big play caliber is because the good ones don’t come here. They go where they won’t mostly be blockers and decoys.

Can’t know for sure, obviously, but unless you try to upset a better team you won’t. 2.0 plays for moral victories as an underdog. Did 2.0 ever once beat a team that was favored? That’s damning. That’s due to philosophy.

And you also fail to realize that the reason our receivers aren’t Big10 or big play caliber is because the good ones don’t come here. They go where they won’t mostly be blockers and decoys.
Ok , so you have this logic that you can’t point to one game over 4 plus years where your logic proves true .

Ok , so you have this logic that you can’t point to one game over 4 plus years where your logic proves true .
Nor can you prove your opinion that it didn’t cost us. Your attempt to refute my logic also sinks yours. Pure genius.

But do the math: minimal passing game, no upsets, not even minor ones (hard to believe, huh ?), FCS receiver talent etc. and you don’t think it matters to wins, losses and recruiting. Got it.

Encouraging to see today. It looks like GS is going to allow us to play offense. Actually ran a 2 minute offense and legit tried to score (not some fluke long run play).

I think we'll need the offense to be a FULL participant against USC, Maryland, Washington, Nebraska and maybe Illinois. We could need 40+ points in those games.

Reactions: Shelby65
Encouraging to see today. It looks like GS is going to allow us to play offense. Actually ran a 2 minute offense and legit tried to score (not some fluke long run play).

I think we'll need the offense to be a FULL participant against USC, Maryland, Washington, Nebraska and maybe Illinois. We could need 40+ points in those games.
Agree. Biggest surprise was going for the 4th and 3…didn’t make it but Shelby appreciated the boldness. Even let Dremel return a punt. If he wasn’t sitting down on these plays Shelby may have fainted.

Reactions: winfield102
Agree. Biggest surprise was going for the 4th and 3…didn’t make it but Shelby appreciated the boldness. Even let Dremel return a punt. If he wasn’t sitting down on these plays Shelby may have fainted.

Third person? Are you purposely trying to look strange or are you just strange?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT