ADVERTISEMENT

Number of 2019 season tickets

While I'm confident even a geologist can do the math right (j/k), I'd have to say that that number is very unlikely to be correct - can't imagine more than a 10-15% drop off...
I can't imagine that the drop-off in season ticket sales would be as small as 10-15%. Based on my discussions with my ticket agent, development rep, and others in the Athletic Dept, they are seeing huge drops in season ticket sales. They are bracing for a 50% loss in ticket sales, and it will certainly be at least 30%.

While I'm confident even a geologist can do the math right (j/k), I'd have to say that that number is very unlikely to be correct - can't imagine more than a 10-15% drop off...

I think there’s going to be an extension period. I think people are underestimating the amount of ticket holders reducing seats and the impact that is going to have on the bottom line. When I tried to change my seats today (reduce number/ move section) it kept trying to put me into 127. That’s not a good sign considering 4 years ago we had 25k+ season tickets sold.

Joe P.

I dropped from 4 to 2 earlier today and moved to the 50 yard line. Prime seats were still available a few hours before the deadline :flushed:

I think there’s going to be an extension period. I think people are underestimating the amount of ticket holders reducing seats and the impact that is going to have on the bottom line. When I tried to change my seats today (reduce number/ move section) it kept trying to put me into 127. That’s not a good sign considering 4 years ago we had 25k+ season tickets sold.

Joe P.
I was told by my rep, today, that there will be a season ticket renewal grace period until at least 4/8 and probably through the Spring game on 4/13, partly to give more time for renewals and partly because they realize they didn't publicize the change of deadline from 4/30 to 4/2 very well (I didn't realize it until a couple of weeks ago).

Almost went down to one with the assumption nobody was buying the seat next to me. And then just buy a cheapo or frio in the parking lot.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I was told by my rep, today, that there will be a season ticket renewal grace period until at least 4/8 and probably through the Spring game on 4/13, partly to give more time for renewals and partly because they realize they didn't publicize the change of deadline from 4/30 to 4/2 very well (I didn't realize it until a couple of weeks ago).

Agreed; I thought it seemed a bit abrupt and don’t remember seeing much about it (which is a whole other problem/ indicator of other issues).

I’d be mildly surprised in a good way if we sell more than 15k seats.

Joe P.

I can't imagine that the drop-off in season ticket sales would be as small as 10-15%. Based on my discussions with my ticket agent, development rep, and others in the Athletic Dept, they are seeing huge drops in season ticket sales. They are bracing for a 50% loss in ticket sales, and it will certainly be at least 30%.

That's not what I've heard, but maybe I'm talking to the wrong people, lol. Anything more than 15-20% is a catastrophe in one year, from a revenue perspective. 50% is almost unimaginable, even off a 1-10 season. We went from 14 to 12 and only because one of the guys is relocating - would've stayed at 14 otherwise.

I dropped from 4 to 2 earlier today and moved to the 50 yard line. Prime seats were still available a few hours before the deadline :flushed:
Prime seats are available 3 minutes into any game. Formerly paid for seats in 104. The hordes descend on the good seats two minutes into any game.

Went from 11 to 9 seats( 5 years ago we had 16). Rep said we could move and upgrade parking but we prefer the yellow lot.

What happens if someone renews after the deadline (whether it be 4/13 or 4/30)? They will still be offering season tickets. I imagine that one could lose their current location to a renewing ticket holder looking to upgrade, but it is not like there are a ton of people lined up to buy RU season tickets.

That's not what I've heard, but maybe I'm talking to the wrong people, lol. Anything more than 15-20% is a catastrophe in one year, from a revenue perspective. 50% is almost unimaginable, even off a 1-10 season. We went from 14 to 12 and only because one of the guys is relocating - would've stayed at 14 otherwise.
Even in great years, you'll have 5-10% attrition because people die, move, or have something happen in their lives which makes them give up tickets. That's why programs always have to entice new season ticket holders to replace the ones lost.

If Rutgers only loses 10-15% this year, that would be a huge win for the athletic department.

Also, it is not attrition due to a single 1-11 season. It is due to multiple seasons of futility.

You’re kidding right ?
You should have posted that on April 1st.

Reactions: RUaMoose

It's correct within the context of the sample population that responded on the thread.

I have made no claims whatsoever as to its being representative of the larger population. On the contrary, I offered some speculation that the real hardcore season ticket holders / boosters are not members of this forum, have a greater affinity toward the program and are likely to renew in much greater numbers.

It's correct within the context of the sample population that responded on the thread.

I have made no claims whatsoever as to its being representative of the larger population. On the contrary, I offered some speculation that the real hardcore season ticket holders / boosters are not members of this forum, have a greater affinity toward the program and are likely to renew in much greater numbers.

Just some gentle teasing - also, didn't see your speculation - haven't been on the board much, lately...

Even in great years, you'll have 5-10% attrition because people die, move, or have something happen in their lives which makes them give up tickets. That's why programs always have to entice new season ticket holders to replace the ones lost.

If Rutgers only loses 10-15% this year, that would be a huge win for the athletic department.

Also, it is not attrition due to a single 1-11 season. It is due to multiple seasons of futility.

I'm talking about how many season ticket holders we end up with this season, not the renewal percentage of existing season ticket holders, since the former is the bottom line. I'll be very surprised if our season ticket holder numbers this year are more than 15% lower than last year and flabbergasted if they're more than 30% below last year. Even 15% sucks balls and is why we should've canned Ash after last year, since it's going to be awhile before the fan base and that revenue come back - I just don't think a drop of 30% or more is realistic.

Going from 2 to 0 tickets. Daughter doesnt want to go because as she says “They suck”. Instead of getting a season ticket it is cheaper for me to buy one on Stub Hub and park in someone’s yard if I want to go.

I don't see much of a change in the seats available if you try to buy online. So the non-renewals may not have been "released" to the general public just yet.

Tried to consolidate our 6 seats (two are currently in a section over from the core 4 seats) However was told that every seat in the area of our 4 had renewed, and they were unable to move the two seats closer to our core 4. As I always suspected... poling the seating intentions from among the people posting on this board is seriously flawed if anyone seriously thinks it reflects the overall ticket buying population. Yes it is "one segment of die hard fans.... but it is also a sampling of fans who are much more inclined to bitch and moan about things and whine about it on a message board... and would be very quick to jump in on a poll where they can vote to help show that the ticket purchase impact is "HUGE" . Pushing their "Fire Ash" agendas. Many factors why a poll like this on a board like this is invalid

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Worm
Tried to consolidate our 6 seats (two are currently in a section over from the core 4 seats) However was told that every seat in the area of our 4 had renewed, and they were unable to move the two seats closer to our core 4. As I always suspected... poling the seating intentions from among the people posting on this board is seriously flawed if anyone seriously thinks it reflects the overall ticket buying population. Yes it is "one segment of die hard fans.... but it is also a sampling of fans who are much more inclined to bitch and moan about things and whine about it on a message board.
Very interesting. What sections were you looking to consolidate?

I had no issue consolidating my tickets and was given multiple options within many sections. Presently in section 225 was able to reduce and consolidate 8-5 and get 2 end of row aisle seat configurations. Jack was offering similar configurations in all of the upstairs sections and in prime locations in 127-128 and 103-104.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Very interesting. What sections were you looking to consolidate?

I had no issue consolidating my tickets and was given multiple options within many sections. Presently in section 225 was able to reduce and consolidate 8-5 and get 2 end of row aisle seat configurations. Jack was offering similar configurations in all of the upstairs sections and in prime locations in 127-128 and 103-104.

126 & 127

Tried to consolidate our 6 seats (two are currently in a section over from the core 4 seats) However was told that every seat in the area of our 4 had renewed, and they were unable to move the two seats closer to our core 4. As I always suspected... poling the seating intentions from among the people posting on this board is seriously flawed if anyone seriously thinks it reflects the overall ticket buying population. Yes it is "one segment of die hard fans.... but it is also a sampling of fans who are much more inclined to bitch and moan about things and whine about it on a message board... and would be very quick to jump in on a poll where they can vote to help show that the ticket purchase impact is "HUGE" . Pushing their "Fire Ash" agendas. Many factors why a poll like this on a board like this is invalid

What section are your “core 4” located in? If they’re in 125-126 or 105-106 I wouldn’t be surprised because those fans cut the check every year irrespective of the team’s performance and/or state of the franchise.

What section are your “core 4” located in? If they’re in 125-126 or 105-106 I wouldn’t be surprised because those fans cut the check every year irrespective of the team’s performance and/or state of the franchise.

If those seats were being dropped at a even 10% rate, it would be pretty much game over as far as attendance.

Was just reading an article on Travis Vokolek. The picture below is from the Illinois game on October 6, 2018, in the FIRST HALF. Looks barren.
And there will be more empty seats than this. . . . .
TCZLEBATE5GWTCZ7KQUS6KDX3U.JPG

126 & 127
Maybe the rep meant that all of 126 and 127 was filled by now, but it isn't true that everybody there "had renewed" because I dropped 4 seats in 127 for two in the end zone.

Novel idea... Head Coach contract should have an attendance clause. X% drop in attendance and/or season ticket holders triggers a reduction in compensation and conversely x% rise in those numbers triggers a bonus. RENEGOTIATE!
thats too hard for Mr. 'I got my guy..'take him off your hot seat' Hobbs to think of.He came from a basketball non power five school.Football and H.C contracts ,its another galaxy for him that he clearly bungled big time..

Just start the season 3-0 and watch the phones in the tix office ring off the hook.

Maybe the rep meant that all of 126 and 127 was filled by now, but it isn't true that everybody there "had renewed" because I dropped 4 seats in 127 for two in the end zone.

I dropped 4 there.
Far from full .

Repost from another thread:

August 31, 2018 article:
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffj...s-Future-of-UConn-football-isn-t-13195151.php
When a UConn athletic department representative said Monday that allocated season tickets had dropped from 16,000 to 9,000, the news was startling. Sure, we can talk about how the Huskies had 32,500 season ticket holders in 2005 and five years later still had 27,500. We can talk about how the team filled or nearly filled the Rent in those days and how losses upon losses the past seven years have led to erosion, disgust, more erosion, and apathy.

Yet season tickets reportedly had held at about 16,000 for three years and, after only one year of Randy Edsall II, erosion became, boom, a sinkhole? A drop became a free-fall of nearly 50 percent? It seemed hard to believe.

Turns out, for good reason. On Thursday, UConn clarified that 16,000 included corporate and staff tickets, visiting team comps, band, recruiting and high school coaches. UConn is at 13,000 for 2018.

The paid figure includes public season-ticket sales, as well as full and five-game student season-ticket plans. That number is about 9,500 this year and 11,200 last year. Look, from the start in 2003, those season-ticket figures included lots of comps, etc. Nevertheless, with seven successive losing seasons, the erosion is steady. Anger has become apathy.

Not to mention, UConn went 17-44 over the previous five years.
-------------------
Note to Pat Hobbs and Bob Barchi:

RU is 11-37 over the previous 4 years. Don't think that it can't happen here. The full share is not a panacea. Winning is.

According to what Sargeant said on the Podcast, RU is at 9-11,000 for season tickets.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-scarlet-spotlight-podcast-listen-now.167989/

According to what Sargeant said on the Podcast, RU is at 9-11,000 for season tickets.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-scarlet-spotlight-podcast-listen-now.167989/
9,000-11,000 would be an unfathomable 50-60%+ churn from last season. I'm struggling to believe that. Might be the lowest since the turn of the century...

2007: 27,000
2008: ~26,700
2009: ~30,000
2010: ?
2011: ?
2012: ?
2013: 22,040
2014: 31,016
2015: 31,168
2016: 28,478
2017: 23,812
2018: 22,337

Why wouldn't they drop prices to get people to keep them? I'm no economics major, but does supply and demand not apply to the RU ticket office?

I saw the ads for $150 season tickets via phone pass, but I'm still not going to bite on that as it doesn't include parking.

I wonder if that 9000 - 11,000 number is for accounts rather than seats.

If it is the latter, then my very informal survey would have been reasonably close.

Reactions: RUaMoose and RUnTeX
9,000-11,000 would be an unfathomable 50-60%+ churn from last season. I'm struggling to believe that. Might be the lowest since the turn of the century...

2007: 27,000
2008: ~26,700
2009: ~30,000
2010: ?
2011: ?
2012: ?
2013: 22,040
2014: 31,016
2015: 31,168
2016: 28,478
2017: 23,812
2018: 22,337
Here's my low sample, statistically insignificant, personal experience. For the last 12 years, I always would check if any close to me opened up - I'm on the end of the row @ the 40. Always came up blank. This year, I called the morning that supposedly ended the season ticket holder renewal grace period. There were 3 available, on the end, next row, right below me.

Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT