ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right after pitchers forgot how to bunt, batters stopped trying to advance a runner on second with no one out, pitchers pitched out to stop base stealers, hitters shortened up after two strikes instead of swinging from their heels and everyone ran out ground balls. Different game. My guess is since managers do next to nothing to control the game anymore they needed something else to do.
Ya know, now that you mention it....I can't recall the last time I saw a pitcher actually pitch out

Reactions: tico brown
For the older fans when did the managers begin to give this many interviews? Pre game, post game, talk radio etc... It's too much.
Boomer Essiason has been saying this for years during the Terry Collins days.

Speaking of which, the Mets kind of need some of this (NSFW stuff) right now lol.

Time to tune out the Mets, at least until Callaway is fired.
BVW GOTTA GO FOR THIS UNNECESSARY TRADE FOR JOHN FRANCO JR THE THIRD AND ROBINSON CARUSOE, WHO GOES MISSING HALF THE TIME... Thats like the Braves trading for a 37 year old outfielder when they have Acuna.

Right after pitchers forgot how to bunt, batters stopped trying to advance a runner on second with no one out, pitchers pitched out to stop base stealers, hitters shortened up after two strikes instead of swinging from their heels and everyone ran out ground balls. Different game. My guess is since managers do next to nothing to control the game anymore they needed something else to do.
Managers dont wven makenout the lineup cards either.

BVW GOTTA GO FOR THIS UNNECESSARY TRADE FOR JOHN FRANCO JR THE THIRD AND ROBINSON CARUSOE, WHO GOES MISSING HALF THE TIME... Thats like the Braves trading for a 37 year old outfielder when they have Acuna.
BVW isn't going anywhere. He just got here. He'll throw Callaway under the bus first, which could happen after this road trip IMO.

When evaluating any personnel move made by the Mets, especially a major one, you have to wonder whether it was BVW's doing anyway. Or was it Jeff who gave the order?

Reactions: tico brown
BVW talking like we're still a contender is pretty scary. I have 0 indication this guy gets it yet.
Talk is cheap. Actions matter. He still has a month before he has to make any buy/sell decisions. In the meantime, he's going to keep talking a good game, just as I would were I in his position.

BVW isn't going anywhere. He just got here. He'll throw Callaway under the bus first, which could happen after this road trip IMO.

When evaluating any personnel move made by the Mets, especially a major one, you have to wonder whether it was BVW's doing anyway. Or was it Jeff who gave the order?
While I agree Calloway isn't a good manager, firing him isn't going to miraculously make the Mets a winning team. When he needs to make a pitching change at this point he might as well pick someone from the stands.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The great mystery of Jed Lowrie continues. Fellow classmate of BVW's at Stanford may have a new injury. Why was he acquired anyway?
https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jed-lowrie-injury-update-1.32437371
Lowrie, 35, signed with the Mets in January when Van Wagenen, his former longtime agent and a fellow Stanford product, offered him a two-year, $20-million contract. Lowrie had a lengthy history of injuries — but had averaged 155 games the previous two seasons — and joined an already-crowded infield depth chart.

The great mystery of Jed Lowrie continues. Fellow classmate of BVW's at Stanford may have a new injury. Why was he acquired anyway?
https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jed-lowrie-injury-update-1.32437371
Lowrie, 35, signed with the Mets in January when Van Wagenen, his former longtime agent and a fellow Stanford product, offered him a two-year, $20-million contract. Lowrie had a lengthy history of injuries — but had averaged 155 games the previous two seasons — and joined an already-crowded infield depth chart.
Previous regime did not have a high opinion of Jeff McNeal so I'm guessing internal reports were not great so I doubt they expected him to continue to hit 333. Despite that, I didn't think it was a good signing. I'm not big on signing free agents 35+ in age.

Previous regime did not have a high opinion of Jeff McNeal so I'm guessing internal reports were not great so I doubt they expected him to continue to hit 333. Despite that, I didn't think it was a good signing. I'm not big on signing free agents 35+ in age.
Couple this signing with the Diaz/Cano deal, which was already done in December, and one can legitimately question BVW's judgment. The Mets already acquired a 36 year old Cano and had a 33 year old Todd Frazier on the roster. This deal made no sense in view of the previous deal and the infield roster.

Reactions: redking
Couple this signing with the Diaz/Cano deal, which was already done in December, and one can legitimately question BVW's judgment. The Mets already acquired a 36 year old Cano and had a 33 year old Todd Frazier on the roster. This deal made no sense in view of the previous deal and the infield roster.
Too early to make a judgement on Diaz/Cano deal.

Too early to make a judgement on Diaz/Cano deal.
Yeah but the Mets first mistake in this trade was outbidding themselves when no one else was really interested in Cano... or there was no need to have BOTH Kelenic and Dunn in this deal, if one HAD to be included in the deal.

Cano has a negative WAR so far this year and we all expected him to at least play well this year and maybe next. He's only going to get worse and we'll continue to trot him out there because of his salary. Look at all the lineup gymnastics we perform to get him in the lineup shifting everyone around into positions they're not as good at defensively.

Enough to make me wanna toss my cookies. Look who's #2 & #3,unreal. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=sea
If it helps any, Seattle got their #1 prospect from the Yankees.

I am absolutely certain that the Mets didn't unload Kelenic and Dunn believing they were busts. They will both likely be good. Maybe even all-star good.

And they're gone. Let them go.

The success of this trade should not be evaluated on whatever Kelenic and Dunn go on to accomplish (or not accomplish). The trade should be evaluated on the basis of whether it helps deliver what BVW promised - a winner, now and in the future. So far, not looking too good.

BVW needs the Callaway shield to deflect some darts from that bonehead trade. Don’t think he goes anywhere until after the season.

Reactions: redking
Mickey Moron should be fired because he's trying really hard to make the Mets losers. Does Familia have something over him? How realistic is it for the next pitcher to clear up the mess created by Familia?

I thought Ramos was a better defensive catcher? He's not getting it done. I rather have Nido because he's better defensively and calls a better game. Offensively there hasn't been a big difference.

Reactions: Foads
I've tried to watch less of the Mets these days, but somehow I happen to tune in just as the sh*t hits the fan. That's 3 days in a row sh*t goes left. :chairshot:
I would put in Ramos 10 times over Nido. Just disagree with you on this one.

As far as the bullpen, Mickey needs to abandon Familia and Gagnon, but the question is who gets those slots? The Pounder guy last night should get a shot. Can't be any worse than Familia and Gagnon. And Gsellman has not been very good either.

I thought Ramos was a better defensive catcher? He's not getting it done. I rather have Nido because he's better defensively and calls a better game. Offensively there hasn't been a big difference.

Ramos is a terrible catcher. I would keep Alonso and McNeil and put every other on the trading block.

Reactions: Foads

As far as the bullpen, Mickey needs to abandon Familia and Gagnon, but the question is who gets those slots? The Pounder guy last night should get a shot. Can't be any worse than Familia and Gagnon. And Gsellman has not been very good either.
Forgotten man Justin Wilson is due to return from his rehab assignment any day now. When he does, I suspect we've seen our last of Gagnon for awhile.

Familia is a much tougher nut. He's making $10M per for three, which for a setup man is some serious coin. He will be given every opportunity to turn it around.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Knight, you have to forgive me because most of the off-season signings haven't lived up to the hype.

How about Font for a little more work? You know he's only appeared in 9 games coming out of the bullpen. Meanwhile, Familia has appeared in 29 games second only to Diaz.

relieve appearance by the bullpen:
Diaz - 30
Familia - 29
Gsellman - 29
Lugo - 26
Gagnon - 14
Font - 9
And the rest of the NYC-Syracuse shuttle average single digit appearances. Personally, I would try some of the other guys because what do you have to lose? These guys don't have a big enough sample size to be judged, unlike Familia, Gsellman, or Gagnon.

My guess is that they're saving Font to start on Thursday in Syndergaard's slot. After that, who knows?

Knight, you have to forgive me because most of the off-season signings haven't lived up to the hype.

How about Font for a little more work? You know he's only appeared in 9 games coming out of the bullpen. Meanwhile, Familia has appeared in 29 games second only to Diaz.

relieve appearance by the bullpen:
Diaz - 30
Familia - 29
Gsellman - 29
Lugo - 26
Gagnon - 14
Font - 9
And the rest of the NYC-Syracuse shuttle average single digit appearances. Personally, I would try some of the other guys because what do you have to lose? These guys don't have a big enough sample size to be judged, unlike Familia, Gsellman, or Gagnon.
Agree on the bullpen. Too many chances for Diaz and Familia, but as @Doctor Worm noted, Familia is getting big money (so is Diaz), so Mickey and BVW must feel compelled to keep putting them out there.

They just said on the broadcast that Lugo cannot pitch 2 days in a row.

Font should get more chances, as should Pounders, my new favorite Mets pitcher.

Guess you missed his pickoff at first.
Disagree totally.

Sorry Knight Shift, I disagree on Ramos. If you watched any of the games over the weekend, you would have seen Ramos throw 2 into Center-field. He can't move behind the plate, hasn't scared the runners from stealing (not all on him), and is a DP machine with a bat in his hands. A horrible signing. Then again, only our Mets could top that with worse moves. Team is going nowhere and as we all know, it won't until the WilCons are gone.

Agree on the bullpen. Too many chances for Diaz and Familia, but as @Doctor Worm noted, Familia is getting big money (so is Diaz), so Mickey and BVW must feel compelled to keep putting them out there.

They just said on the broadcast that Lugo cannot pitch 2 days in a row.

Font should get more chances, as should Pounders, my new favorite Mets pitcher.
Actually Diaz is not making big money - not yet. Next year is his first arbitration year. He will surely cash in, but maybe not as big as he thought he would.

Sorry Knight Shift, I disagree on Ramos. If you watched any of the games over the weekend, you would have seen Ramos throw 2 into Center-field. He can't move behind the plate, hasn't scared the runners from stealing (not all on him), and is a DP machine with a bat in his hands. A horrible signing. Then again, only our Mets could top that with worse moves. Team is going nowhere and as we all know, it won't until the WilCons are gone.
So you are judging him by this weekend's performance?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/c/league/nl/order/true

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/c/league/nl

Guess you missed his pickoff at first.
Disagree totally.
First job is catching. He can't move. Anything in the dirt and he doesn't even try to block the ball. Just sticks a glove out there and ole's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT