ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already 2-0 TBL, this is the one win I had for MTL, now I think the TBL will sweep them. Worse final since what? Maybe 1996.

Islanders would have won it
Maybe in five, but the result would not have been in doubt.

It was a tough year, for everybody. I think the NHL put a decent game plan together. I liked the “pods”. The big problems: North was a disaster and PRICE stole a semi final round. No team from the NORTH deserved to be in the semis. Other than that, no real issues.

If I'm right, and the TBL sweep tonight, I will be most happy about the jackass new daddy, feeling the pain of the loss. What a idiot, with screwed up priorities!

Awful news

Man, this is of course a tragedy at all levels, but especially when you read that he started at the lowest level of minor league hockey and had worked himself up over a period of years to where it was expected that CBJ was going to trade one of their goalies this summer and he was going to be their backup.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I usually only watch playoff hockey, especially the finals (despite having grown up as a hockey nut during the Flyers heyday in the 70s and playing hockey all the time as a kid) and all I want to know is how the hell did Montreal get to the finals? They're so overmatched it's not funny - TB should be up by 3-4 goals tonight, if not for the Habs goalie. TB is really good - will be amazed if they don't close it out tonight, which kind of sucks as a team from FL should never win the Stanley Cup over a team from Montreal (or Canada, in general).

New Jersey's own Ross Colton, Robbinsville, and the TBL win the Stanley Cup in 5 games.

I usually only watch playoff hockey, especially the finals (despite having grown up as a hockey nut during the Flyers heyday in the 70s and playing hockey all the time as a kid) and all I want to know is how the hell did Montreal get to the finals? They're so overmatched it's not funny - TB should be up by 3-4 goals tonight, if not for the Habs goalie. TB is really good - will be amazed if they don't close it out tonight, which kind of sucks as a team from FL should never win the Stanley Cup over a team from Montreal (or Canada, in general).
This is because how the NHL had to set up due to Covid. Teams could not travel to and from Canada. The NHL switched teams around, and all Canadian teams were one division, playing eachother only. Carey Price stole a round, and we have a bad, uncompetive final!

Bettman sucks, hey now that the year is over, should we keep this thread for the off season, or start 21-22 for the expansion draft and free agency?
Ronnie B has not posted much here lately, I do not want to step on any toes, thoughts?

In case anyone cares about this kind of analysis, I keep track of a statistic I came up with that aims to measure the success of each franchise by calculating how many Stanley Cups each team has won vs. how many they should have won based on how many seasons they've played and how many teams were in the league for each of those seasons. Basically its goal is to draw level comparisons since I've always found it laughable when fans of Original Six teams tout their success by counting their Cups, ignoring the fact that they had a 40+year head start over everyone else and only had a handful of other teams to compete with. I don't know what to call this statistic, but it levels out those factors. Interestingly enough, coming into this year, Montreal was 2nd and Tampa Bay was 3rd, but with this win, Tampa now passes them for 2nd. Below is the full standings, a 0 would be "par," meaning they've won the exact number that they mathematically should have won by now. For the teams that haven't won yet, I listed them on the bottom with the number of Cups they should have by now, most of them are still below 1 anyway.

Edmonton Oilers+215.26%
Tampa Bay Lightning+209.57%
Montreal Canadiens+126.11%
Pittsburgh Penguins+109.65%
New York Islanders+100.8%
New Jersey Devils/Colorado Rockies/Kansas City Scouts+60.68%
Detroit Red Wings+30.13%
Toronto Maple Leafs/Toronto St. Patricks/Toronto Arenas+26.62%
Colorado Avalanche/Quebec Nordiques+26.11%
Anaheim Ducks/Mighty Ducks of Anaheim+7.83%
Philadelphia Flyers-16.14%
Los Angeles Kings-16.14%
Boston Bruins-30.34%
Carolina Hurricanes/Hartford Whalers-36.95%
Chicago Blackhawks-40.85%
Washington Capitals-46.44%
Calgary Flames-49.80%
New York Rangers-52.68%
Dallas Stars/Minnesota North Stars-58.07%
St. Louis Blues-58.07%
Vegas Golden Knights0/0.13
Minnesota Wild0/0.66
Columbus Blue Jackets0/0.66
Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers0/0.70
Nashville Predators0/0.74
Florida Panthers0/0.93
Ottawa Senators0/0.97
San Jose Sharks0/1.01
Phoenix Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets0/1.59
Vancouver Canucks0/2.13
Buffalo Sabres0/2.13

In case anyone cares about this kind of analysis, I keep track of a statistic I came up with that aims to measure the success of each franchise by calculating how many Stanley Cups each team has won vs. how many they should have won based on how many seasons they've played and how many teams were in the league for each of those seasons. Basically its goal is to draw level comparisons since I've always found it laughable when fans of Original Six teams tout their success by counting their Cups, ignoring the fact that they had a 40+year head start over everyone else and only had a handful of other teams to compete with. I don't know what to call this statistic, but it levels out those factors. Interestingly enough, coming into this year, Montreal was 2nd and Tampa Bay was 3rd, but with this win, Tampa now passes them for 2nd. Below is the full standings, a 0 would be "par," meaning they've won the exact number that they mathematically should have won by now. For the teams that haven't won yet, I listed them on the bottom with the number of Cups they should have by now, most of them are still below 1 anyway.

Edmonton Oilers+215.26%
Detroit Red Wings+30.13%
Los Angeles Kings-16.14%
Boston Bruins-30.34%
Calgary Flames-49.80%
New York Rangers-52.68%
St. Louis Blues-58.07%
Minnesota Wild0/0.66
Florida Panthers0/0.93
Ottawa Senators0/0.97
San Jose Sharks0/1.01
Vancouver Canucks0/2.13
Buffalo Sabres0/2.13
Very impressive!

I think we should start the next year NHL thread early, before the expansion draft. There is a lot that will go on this off-season, between the draft, free agency, and trades. I don't want to jump the gun, so feedback would be nice. We certainly can just keep this thread going.

Reactions: tico brown
Don’t know, give him a few days I guess.
That was my plan. I will try to ask him before, but if nothing is started I was thinking of starting it a few days before the Kracken draft.
There is so much going on. V. Taraschenko has asked the Blues for a trade. The Athletic wrote something that caused a stir online. Bread requested or insisted Kappo Kakko not play on his line. It may not have been Quinn's fault. For our Devils, there has been more trade talk. I think this summer is going to be the most active in over a decade potentially.

Edmonton Oilers+215.26%
Detroit Red Wings+30.13%
Los Angeles Kings-16.14%
Boston Bruins-30.34%
Calgary Flames-49.80%
New York Rangers-52.68%
St. Louis Blues-58.07%
Minnesota Wild0/0.66
Florida Panthers0/0.93
Ottawa Senators0/0.97
San Jose Sharks0/1.01
Vancouver Canucks0/2.13
Buffalo Sabres0/2.13
While interesting, this type of analysis is fundamentally flawed. It assumes the spread of talent during those early years were as they are now - equitable. It was not. I would be curious to see this analysis starting with the year of the first true entry draft (1967). Even then, it took years before those new rules to more fairly distribute talent around the league. I would say those PHI cup teams were the first true championship teams that were not covered under the old system.

While interesting, this type of analysis is fundamentally flawed. It assumes the spread of talent during those early years were as they are now - equitable. It was not. I would be curious to see this analysis starting with the year of the first true entry draft (1967). Even then, it took years before those new rules to more fairly distribute talent around the league. I would say those PHI cup teams were the first true championship teams that were not covered under the old system.
That is true but you could also argue that the spread of talent wasn't equitable until the salary cap was implemented. I could do the same analysis from 1967 to now once I have a few minutes in the next couple days, I'll post it here once I do.

Reactions: mdh2003
While interesting, this type of analysis is fundamentally flawed.
Flawed may be on the harsh side for a description. Would definitely agree it is interesting, but with limitations, and not “final word” type stat.

It appears to be a straight mathematical calculation based on the number of teams participating each season. Based on this, it would be over 5x tougher to win a Stanley Cup now than in the 6 team days. I’ll never be convinced that is true.

As a comparison, the BIG didn’t get tougher to win just because its most recent expansion increased teams. Being declared the MNC in cfb didn’t get tougher when all the Sun Belt type teams moved up divisions.

It certainly didn’t get twice as tough to win the Stanley Cup with the first doubling of teams expansion in the late 60s.

Reactions: mdh2003
Flawed may be on the harsh side for a description. Would definitely agree it is interesting, but with limitations, and not “final word” type stat.
True on read back. Apologies, @robcac26 - didn’t mean to insult you. Thanks for putting this together, it was probably a bit of work. I for one really do appreciate it as fodder for thinking, conversation, and debate. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Don’t remember him
Traded for late, on the last day of the trade deadline. He had played for the Capitals, but was scratched because of veteran depth. Thus, he will be protected. I didn't post it, but Wedgewood is also signed to a 2-way contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT