ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one point tonight the Chytil-Kakko-DeGuieppe line had a 15-3 advantage in shot attempts during their TOI, so you weren’t listening very hard.
Shh.....Newark Devils fans don't like facts.

What's the deal with Butcher? Healthy scratch for three games, is he hurt?
As he is pretty similar to Ty Smith, a good pp guy, who won't play the PK and needs sheltered 5v5 minutes, Butcher is getting squeezed in favor of the 1st rounder.

As he is pretty similar to Ty Smith, a good pp guy, who won't play the PK and needs sheltered 5v5 minutes, Butcher is getting squeezed in favor of the 1st rounder.
I think Smith is head and shoulders about Butcher and Smith really hasn't been sheltered, he's been paired with pretty much a journeyman, but the description is dead on for Butcher.

I think Smith is head and shoulders about Butcher and Smith really hasn't been sheltered, he's been paired with pretty much a journeyman, but the description is dead on for Butcher.
Without looking, I'd say it's a safe bet he played very little against the opposing top lines, and I'd bet he played relatively few minutes in the final 10 minutes of this game.

Smith is still a rookie, he is going to get protected, and that's fine, that is standard procedure for rookies. Butcher get's protected because he is not that good. I mean, he can do some things pretty well, but he's deficient in other areas.

They were definitely the Rangers best line in the first half of the game. That didn’t keep dips**t Quinn from giving them even less ice time than the fourth line.
Rangers fan here. Yeah, our 4th line getting 1st line minutes is a concern. And I’m coming around to the ”Quinn ain’t gonna get it done” crowd. A goal :32 seconds in tonight and then an immediately penalty is yet another example of coming out of the locker room sleepwalking.

Rosen is a real tough listen at this point.

Blackwood left the ice for a delayed penalty in the first period and Sam had no idea what was going on and thought it was offside when the refs blew the whistle.
And on top of that, the linesman clearly signaled that the play was not offside right before Rosen said it was.

Before I heard the puck hit the post before it did.
Ya, I heard that as well. My thought is these guys are not actually in the arena and are watching on a monitor, which would cause a delay, so they delay the video a little to sync them up, but they delayed it a little too much..

Would also explain why the pbp guys are a little more oblivious then normal.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Ya, I heard that as well. My thought is these guys are not actually in the arena and are watching on a monitor, which would cause a delay, so they delay the video a little to sync them up, but they delayed it a little too much..

Would also explain why the pbp guys are a little more oblivious then normal.
That makes sense now as that’s how they did the play by play for the World Juniors.

I believe Sam Cangalosi said the same thing post game...meaning they weren’t really there.

Doesn’t matter how many shots they have, only the ones that go in.
While this is 100% true, you won't win too many giving up 50 shots per game.
Recent Rangers teams are guilty of yielding huge shots against totals. Im hoping Jacques Martin helps with that, but too early to tell.

I’ll take 50 shots on goal, 20 more blocks by the Devs, coupled with the fact the Blue Shirts only had 2 shots the first ten minutes of the opening period and move on.
It was an effort I can live with

Reactions: miker183
Loved the toughness of Lemieux to take that SECOND shot after already being in pain from the first one.

I know a guy in college like that who plays the same way.

Loved the toughness of Lemieux to take that SECOND shot after already being in pain from the first one.

I know a guy in college like that who plays the same way.
I know when I was playing serious hockey all over the NE and Canada in the mid 70s, we did not do that, it was not part of the game in those days....I’m amazed by it today.

I know when I was playing serious hockey all over the NE and Canada in the mid 70s, we did not do that, it was not part of the game in those days....I’m amazed by it today.
Last season my Son had a mark on his trunk where you could clearly make out it was a puck.

Also lost a skate from a slapshot that destroyed the toe cap. Sent me a video from the locker room of him wiggling his exposed toes.

Last edited:
Last season my Son had a mark on his trunk where you could clearly make out it was a puck.

Also lost a skate from a slapshot that destroyed the toe cap. Send me a video from the locker room of him wiggling his exposed toes.
I have no clue how there are not more broken ankles, insteps and the bones directly under your laces the way the game is played today?
Hell, ankle guards were around back in the day, they don’t even wear them today.
The only real difference is the skate is more of a boot than it was in my day.
But hey, I did try Langes, hated them.
Always went with Supremes

I have no clue how there are not more broken ankles, insteps and the bones directly under your laces the way the game is played today?
Hell, ankle guards were around back in the day, they don’t even wear them today.
The only real difference is the skate is more of a boot than it was in my day.
But hey, I did try Langes, hated them.
Always went with Supremes
The skates compared to when we were playing are much sturdier now. And the higher level you go the more the thicker they seem to get. Once my older guy moved up to an “older” foot and got Junior skates the price went up along with what looks like a thicker and more protective boot to what he had in high school but according to him, “Dad, it still hurts...a lot” when he does block one. LOL

Good Gosh.
Just looked at the schedule for tonight and saw Montreal vs Vancouver.
For some reason I just assumed Montreal was part of the East, before I realized the Canadian teams are all one division!!!
Those Canadian teams face a lot of travel

Good Gosh.
Just looked at the schedule for tonight and saw Montreal vs Vancouver.
For some reason I just assumed Montreal was part of the East, before I realized the Canadian teams are all one division!!!
Those Canadian teams face a lot of travel
Agree. The East has a pretty big advantage when it comes to travel. What’s the longest trip....Buffalo to DC? Boston to DC? Boston to Pitt?

When is the first “Battle of Alberta” tilt?

Great hockey and great TV.

Also lost a skate from a slapshot that destroyed the toe cap. Send me a video from the locker room of him wiggling his exposed toes.
Same thing happened to me a few games ago actually. Not sure what hurts more, the puck or the cost of new skates.

In high school I blocked a shot in roller hockey just below the knee. I couldn't put any weight on that leg and when I got to the bench and took my shin guard off, it was already bruised, swollen, and somehow bleeding. No idea how a teenager was able to shoot a roller puck so hard.

Blocking shots does seem to be a foreign concept to old-timers. Some of the refs as well as an old guy that ran the local hockey equipment shop I used to go to (Bruce from Hockey Haus for those who may be familiar) would always say things like, "Why are you blocking shots, that's what the goalie is for!"

How many games will he miss??
In case you're missing the game, Cangelosi just mentioned he is out due to "Covid protocol" and doesn't necessarily have Covid, so nobody knows yet how long he's out for.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Same thing happened to me a few games ago actually. Not sure what hurts more, the puck or the cost of new skates.

In high school I blocked a shot in roller hockey just below the knee. I couldn't put any weight on that leg and when I got to the bench and took my shin guard off, it was already bruised, swollen, and somehow bleeding. No idea how a teenager was able to shoot a roller puck so hard.

Blocking shots does seem to be a foreign concept to old-timers. Some of the refs as well as an old guy that ran the local hockey equipment shop I used to go to (Bruce from Hockey Haus for those who may be familiar) would always say things like, "Why are you blocking shots, that's what the goalie is for!"

In case you're missing the game, Cangelosi just mentioned he is out due to "Covid protocol" and doesn't necessarily have Covid, so nobody knows yet how long he's out for.
Dont get the game here in Philly. Flyers/Boston and Tampa/Columbus which I'm watching.
Of all the sports on TV without fans in attendance hockey suffers the worst. Very hard to watch. No Doc doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT