ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-2023 Transfer Portal Activity Part 2

Should RU fans expect to see Ben Bryant starting at QB for Northwestern in the home opener on 9/2?

I don't follow these players or teams to know enough. I just post the movement that happens so people can see the types of players that schools lose and gain.

But here's a blurb from an Athletic article:

Bryant went 9-2 as a starter for Cincinnati in 2022 before suffering a season-ending foot injury in a win over Temple on Nov. 19. The Bearcats lost their final two games of the season. Bryant finished with 2,732 passing yards (61.2 completion percentage), 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The Wildcats struggled through quarterback injuries and inconsistency in 2022, finishing the season 1-11. Sullivan ended the year 71-for-96 (74 percent) for 589 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions in five appearances. He entered 2023 as the odds-on favorite to win the starting job over Hilinksi (who led Northwestern with 1,644 passing yards, six touchdowns and seven interceptions across eight appearances in 2022) and Lausch, a second-year player who played in one game last season. The addition of Bryant and his two seasons of starting experience would seem to change that calculus for the Wildcats and put the Cincinnati transfer in pole position to be the opening-day starter on Sept. 2 against Rutgers.

Bryant’s play was uneven at times in 2022 and he suffered from a lack of mobility in and outside the pocket, but he has always possessed an NFL-caliber arm, completing better than 60 percent of his passes with a 3-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He led Cincinnati to nine wins last season, including a nonconference victory over Indiana, and put the Bearcats in position to compete for an AAC championship before his injury.

Another article on him.

Reactions: Knight Shift
mqdefault.jpg

d38873f8-db34-4d8c-8d69-bfda8eebb71f_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1
While I beieve our staff has been upgraded, the lack of significant action in the portal is head scratching.

While I beieve our staff has been upgraded, the lack of significant action in the portal is head scratching.
They missed the action in December because the OC hire took forever to finalize. It was great to get Kirk but that was sort of an Pyrrhic victory. Also, not seeing a lot of guys that have regional ties or are good enough for what RU needs this spring. So double whammy resulting in another dreadful offense but the defense should be pretty good. We need to hope they score every 5th possession.

Absolutely. For Rutgers to get an impact transfer on offense, people have to pony up, otherwise it’s hard to compete against other teams that are offering NIL packages. Our #1 choice at Left Tackle last year, took a package and went to LSU. The guy we recruited, struggled. Our #1 TE transfer choice, this year, took an NIL deal at Alabama. It’s looking like we’ll have to improve the offense via HS recruiting. Thankfully, we’re not far away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT