ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Golf Thread

great finish in the Scottish Open. Thought Rory blew it after missing the makable birdie on 16. MacIntyre had a great round with some amazing shots. Would’ve been a great story to have another home countrymen win the country’s open.

Is it just me or is the final round of the Scottish Open coverage more commercials than golf?

Also, is it ever warm in Scotland? If not how friggen cold do the winters get?

Is it just me or is the final round of the Scottish Open coverage more commercials than golf?

It’s colder here in winter than in Scotland and England. And hotter here in summer.

It’s colder here in winter than in Scotland and England. And hotter here in summer.

That's what I thought but it's very strange. I guess it's the ocean current bringing warmth to them in the winter. That place today looks like it should be tundra in the winter.

Reactions: Section124
That's what I thought but it's very strange. I guess it's the ocean current bringing warmth to them in the winter. That place today looks like it should be tundra in the winter.
It's similar to how the west coast stays in a similar range. The circulation of the cold water (whereas we get the warm / gulf stream).

Yep, all about the Gulf Stream, which make the UK/Ireland far warmer than other locations at the same latitude, like Newfoundland and even a bit warmer than areas at the same latitude, but on the west coast of North America, like SE Alaska, as there is no similar warm current near there.

Yep, all about the Gulf Stream, which make the UK/Ireland far warmer than other locations at the same latitude, like Newfoundland and even a bit warmer than areas at the same latitude, but on the west coast of North America, like SE Alaska, as there is no similar warm current near there.

Yeah Gulf Stream. I was drawing a blank.

Did anyone see what happened on the Par 5 18th Tee at the American Century Championship?

2022 Champ Mardy Fish, who was leading Steph Curry by 3 points, had some jerk scream during his backswing causing him to skull his drive into the trees. He scrambles for a Par while Steph hits the green in 2 with great shots and sinks a 20' foot putt for an Eagle to win by 2 points.

None of this should downplay Curry's accomplishments during the weekend. He also had a hole in one Saturday.

Someone on twitter said because they had to move it up due to the winds, they had to run more commercials. Something about companies paying to advertise in a certain time slot and they had to backload the commercials to the end when more eyeballs would be watching (not many in the US are watching Rory tee off at like 4AM).

Not sure how true that is.............

Did anyone see what happened on the Par 5 18th Tee at the American Century Championship?

2022 Champ Mardy Fish, who was leading Steph Curry by 3 points, had some jerk scream during his backswing causing him to skull his drive into the trees. He scrambles for a Par while Steph hits the green in 2 with great shots and sinks a 20' foot putt for an Eagle to win by 2 points.

None of this should downplay Curry's accomplishments during the weekend. He also had a hole in one Saturday.

Reality is that ACC is a party fest and people get drunk, etc. Even when he's hitting you can hear music blaring, etc. So it's not surprising some shitbag screams out in the middle of his backswing.

Reactions: knightfan7

It was horrible that a fan did that. As you said, congrats to Steph and he made some great shots this weekend. That being said, I like Steph and he is a great player (both basketball and golf), but he did show a lack of sportsmanship in the interview afterwards. Maybe he did clarify when the cameras were off but he should have acknowledged the yell. I know he did on the 18 tee box but who knows how it was going to end at the time. He also could have "missed" that putt. Without the yell Fish probably makes birdie on the hole and still wins. That hole is an easy birdie and Fish was on a roll at the time. Hate to see it end that way & definitely taints the win.

Reactions: knightfan7
Reality is that ACC is a party fest and people get drunk, etc. Even when he's hitting you can hear music blaring, etc. So it's not surprising some shitbag screams out in the middle of his backswing.
Difference here was that it was intentional. Sucks for both Steph and Fish because they deserved better. Fish most likely would have won and now Steph has question marks around the win. At the end of the day people will only remember Steph winning.

Continuous music a distance away is one thing, letting out a scream behind the player's back during his swing is another. The JO had all intent of screwing with Fish.

BTW, did anyone who watched see RU's Kathryn Tappen playing in the American Century? She'll be part of the crew for Big Ten Saturday Night on NBC

Yes he can.

Aren't you having a USGA event coming up? (Woman's Am?)

Yes. Course is playing great. Interested to see how the women attack it. Sadly our clubhouse rebuild won't be done in time. Rainy winter sent the timeline back.

Continuous music a distance away is one thing, letting out a scream behind the player's back during his swing is another. The JO had all intent of screwing with Fish.

Oh I wasn't trying to excuse the fan. Was just pointing out the whole atmosphere there is just a giant party so it's not surprising some asshole did that.

I've been consistent in saying the PGA was never going to win this battle.

This is was, in their opinion, the next best thing. Essentially jump on the train the LIV guys did- get paid and become the Saudis bitch. Money almost always wins. This case is no different.

Jay Monihan did what the LIV guys did. All after his moronic posturing. He must not be very smart. He position was a losing one and his enemy had superior firepower.

He was never going to win this battle.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely a sobering situation for the PGA Tour brass / elite golf community right now. I was surprised Shipnuck was that open.
Shipnick is an idiot. Same guy who took a private conversation with Phil and wrote about things Phil said. Scum.

Shipnick is an idiot. Same guy who took a private conversation with Phil and wrote about things Phil said. Scum.
I agree about Shipnuck. Never liked him. However he is very connected to the players and was surprised about the defeatist tone in his voice. I think even Eisen did a few double takes. I guess he is on his own and needs clicks just like the rest of the golf media, so who knows if he is just BS.

I've been consistent in saying the PGA was never going to win this battle.

This is was, in their opinion, the next best thing. Essentially jump on the train the LIV guys did- get paid and become the Saudis bitch. Money almost always wins. This case is no different.

Jay Monihan did what the LIV guys did. All after his moronic posturing. He must not be very smart. He position was a losing one and his enemy had superior firepower.

He was never going to win this battle.
I disagree. PGA tour was always for-sale but they didn’t want to give up control. This was the outcome PGA wanted. No one objected to PIF money. PGA did just enough to keep control.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I agree about Shipnuck. Never liked him. However he is very connected to the players and was surprised about the defeatist tone in his voice. I think even Eisen did a few double takes. I guess he is on his own and needs clicks just like the rest of the golf media, so who knows if he is just BS.
And he is very pro-PGA. Him talking about how the Saudis essentially control everything is compelling.

Who you got for the Open? It’s so weather dependent. I still like Rory but it’s hard to go b2b. Scottie was close and just need a few putts to drop.

Who you got for the Open? It’s so weather dependent. I still like Rory but it’s hard to go b2b. Scottie was close and just need a few putts to drop.
Koepka.
Thursday looks nice but the last 3 days looks wet and moderately windy.

They have 2 holes (3 & 18) with interior out of bounds. They moved the out of bounds on 18 20 yards in from where is was the last Open was played there. It's an unbelievably hard hole now!
This is going to be a great tournament!

I agree it's going to a great tournament. Rooting for Brooks as well but like all the others mentioned (Rory, Scottie) and Cam. Links golf is how the ball bounces so need to give this one some thought. Rahm and Morikawa should be favorites. Maybe a good one for Rickie as well.

I agree it's going to a great tournament. Rooting for Brooks as well but like all the others mentioned (Rory, Scottie) and Cam. Links golf is how the ball bounces so need to give this one some thought. Rahm and Morikawa should be favorites. Maybe a good one for Rickie as well.
When growing up it was Jack only. Only rooted for him. If he was out of contention I had other favorites but also had guys I'd root against with Tom Watson, when he came along, was at the top of my list.
Today I don't really have any golfers I root against. I don't like Speith like I used as he is a constant complainer on the course but if he wins it's all good.
Rory is the last guy to win here in 2014. Shot 17 under. Tiger won in 2006. Shot 18 under. Before that, Royal Liverpool didn't host The Open for 56 years! Roberto De Vicenzo in 1967 finally broke through with his first Open after being a top 5 five times! What is amazing is he won shooting a 10 under using real woods and old version golf balls. He would have been 100 years old this year but did live to a great age of 94. Could still play the game too!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT