ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Golf Thread

I disagree. PGA tour was always for-sale but they didn’t want to give up control. This was the outcome PGA wanted. No one objected to PIF money. PGA did just enough to keep control.

The Saudi's will control the PGA when the ink dries.

They aren't investing billions of dollars to see Jay Monihan run the ship. Whoever it is will be their puppet.

Reactions: Knightmoves

They aren't investing billions of dollars to see Jay Monihan run the ship. Whoever it is will be their puppet.
The guy pulling the strings is Jimmy Dunne. PIF is in money mode now. They need to show the “investment” can make money. PGA = money maker. LIV = money loser. Control will go to the guys who can turn a profit.

When growing up it was Jack only. Only rooted for him. If he was out of contention I had other favorites but also had guys I'd root against with Tom Watson, when he came along, was at the top of my list.
Today I don't really have any golfers I root against. I don't like Speith like I used as he is a constant complainer on the course but if he wins it's all good.
Rory is the last guy to win here in 2014. Shot 17 under. Tiger won in 2006. Shot 18 under. Before that, Royal Liverpool didn't host The Open for 56 years! Roberto De Vicenzo in 1967 finally broke through with his first Open after being a top 5 five times! What is amazing is he won shooting a 10 under using real woods and old version golf balls. He would have been 100 years old this year but did live to a great age of 94. Could still play the game too!
Same for me. I was always a Jack guy. Was looking up the past Hoylake Open Champions and laughed when I saw the payouts. De Vicenzo only won 2100 pounds. Tiger was 720,000 pounds. Rory 975,000 pounds. Crazy how much better it is for the guys today. Big props to the old school guys for paving the way.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Shipnick is an idiot. Same guy who took a private conversation with Phil and wrote about things Phil said. Scum.

Shipnuck is a tool but Mickelson did himself no favors here. First, he played semantics and tried to argue he didn't have an interview with Shipnuck despite the fact he had admitted earlier to speaking with Shipnuck. Plus he was the one who reached out to Shipnuck to talk and he knew Shipnuck was writing a book and still never said anything about it being off the record. You reach out to a guy writing a book about you and you don't confirm what's on and off the record? Yeah, that's your mistake.

Mickelson got smoked by his own hubris there and went into spin control after the fact when his comments made him look bad.

Last edited:

Again, nothing is final until the agreement is signed but technically even with them putting in $1B in cash, the most valuable asset, the one with the largest investment in the new structure will be the PGA, not the PIF. Now how that factors into control, I guess we will see.

Reactions: Caliknight
Kind of a ho-hum first round but early 2nd round scores shows the possibility of a great day. (Unless the wind changes) Brian Harmen is -4 thru 7 holes and leads the tournament at -8.

Harman now at -8 and coming back to the field. Lots of big names within striking distance of the lead.

I’m rooting for Harman to collapse purely because of his ridiculous club waggles. Brutal to watch.

I’m rooting for Harman to collapse purely because of his ridiculous club waggles. Brutal to watch.
Will be interesting to see if their are more waggles tomorrow.

When Sergio got caught up in the waggles years ago it became an obsession with him.

Off topic but after playing golf for over 45 years and 1000+ rounds, I finally got my hole in one today. 6 iron from 175 yards. Feels good. Now back to The Open!
Nice! That’s an impressive hole in one. Did you see it hole out from the tee?

Nice! That’s an impressive hole in one. Did you see it hole out from the tee?
Thanks! I did not but the rest of my foursome all saw it. I figured it went off the back since the pin was in the back center. I think they were more excited than I was. Interesting comment they all had. Each already had an ace of their own but never played with another person that got one. That’s probably common though since I could say the same.

Reactions: RU848789
Mostly just joking around, but I do find it very annoying. Much like Sergio in the early 2000s.
Doesn't annoy me at all. He plays fast. Waggles are great for swing rhythm. He is averaging 9 on his drives which is more then most golfers that imploy it but you can't argue with his results.
Just went back to back birdies to get back to -12.
Now if he was one of those guys that takes 15 practice swings I'd be all with you.

Very impressive. All 4 days. Straight drives. Was nearly automatic inside 10 feet putting. His first miss was today. He was 54 for 54 before that.
Fun watch all week.

Not the ending that most expected but kudos to Harman to win easily after building a 5 stroke lead after round 2. Congrats to him for pulling away from a vg field.

Will be interesting to see if this win launches his career or if it’s mostly a one and done win for him.

Not the ending that most expected but kudos to Harman to win easily after building a 5 stroke lead after round 2. Congrats to him for pulling away from a vg field.

Will be interesting to see if this win launches his career or if it’s mostly a one and done win for him.
I think it will help him win majors and other event with tough setups. He won't win the grip it and rip it type PGA Tour stops.

Very impressive. All 4 days. Straight drives. Was nearly automatic inside 10 feet putting. His first miss was today. He was 54 for 54 before that.
Fun watch all week.
I liked what Azinger was saying near the end about Harman's game plan of hitting it straight, but not too far, so as to avoid the bunkers and the worst rough areas, was very similar to how Tiger dominated there when he won - although Tiger was doing it with his 2-iron "stingers" on very dry ground to control his distance, while Harman was doing in on a much wetter course with 3-woods and drivers, but they were essentially both employing similar strategies. Shows how shorter hitters can still win on courses where accuracy is a premium (and chipping/putting, of course).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT