ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Golf Thread

With ratings up significantly, the Broadcast partners are pushing the USGA for more west coast venues. The Wantanabe’s will need to make significant changes to Riviera or the scores will be amongst the lowest ever.

Looks like rain for the ladies at baltusrol golf club on Springfield.

Shocked to see they are using school buses to transport people from the train station to the course.

Shocked to see they are using school buses to transport people from the train station to the course.
That happens nearly at every tournament I've been to. They are plentiful and cheap. What were you expecting?

Swear in 2016 I was on a coach bus.
Only if you were part of a group who payed for it. It's been school buses at every major I've been too and every non major too. Except for Shinnecock where the LIRR drops you off at the gate. But that is a looong ride from NYC.

I remember being shuttled to Baltusrol for the PGA Championship in an Academy coach. That was the standard shuttle.

I remember being shuttled to Baltusrol for the PGA Championship in an Academy coach. That was the standard shuttle.
I got off the train near Baltusrol and was shuttled in by a Plainfield NJ school bus. I was born in Plainfield so it was memorable.
Bethpage Black was my last major and wasn't too far from the Farmingdale LIRR stop. Tons of school buses and very efficient.
The 1980 US Open at Baltusrol we got there early on Sunday. Parked at the reservoir above the course. Took forever to get out. Worth it. Jack won!

Last edited:
Academy busses were used at offsite parking at a county park in Clark. I parked at a site closer on the weekend for American Express and Mercedes owners and they had limo busses. Brother took the train and they were school busses.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Rickie Fowler shoots 30 on each 9 for a 60. Needed a birdie on the 9th(his last hole) for a 59. Made par. The top 5 players yesterday combined for -41 under par. 👀

I got off the train near Baltusrol and was shuttled in by a Plainfield NJ school bus. I was born in Plainfield so it was memorable.
Bethpage Black was my last major and wasn't too far from the Farmingdale LIRR stop. Tons of school buses and very efficient.
The 1980 US Open at Baltusrol we got there early on Sunday. Parked at the reservoir above the course. Took forever to get out. Worth it. Jack won!
I was at the Saturday round in '80. Got there about 7am, parking up there too. Watched Arnie (1st tee time) warm up and followed him for a number of holes. Later followed Trevino and finished with Jack and Aioki 16-18.

I was at the Saturday round in '80. Got there about 7am, parking up there too. Watched Arnie (1st tee time) warm up and followed him for a number of holes. Later followed Trevino and finished with Jack and Aioki 16-18.
We followed Arnie too on Sunday Actually carried his clubs to the range as his caddie went to check in. Just a random meeting walking through the club's parking lot, which became the players lot. Long story but super nice! Once we got to 18 we just parked ourselves behind the green next to the scoring tent. Yes the scoring tent was amongst the crowd back then.
Stayed to the end. Took forever just to get back to the car walking as they made us go through the narrow gate we came in through.
Don't even remember if they sold beer. I definitely didn't have any. There was no merchandise tent. Just the pro-shop. Now both food and merchandise are huge $$ makers.
Stopped at the first bar we saw in Springfield to have a few and let the traffic clear out.

Last edited:
Reactions: knightfan7
Always liked Rickie but at some point he has to start winning. Turned professional in 2009 and has a grand total of just 5 wins. No majors.
Rickie is doing more with less. The fact that he won 5 is amazing.

He is 5’7 170 lbs. not a big hitter off the tee.
He is 23rd in total distance. 3rd in driving efficiency. Stop the excuses.
I thought you knew a lot about professional golf. You don't have to be tall and muscular to hit it far.
Ever hear of Bobby Jones, Gary Player, Ian Woosnam, Francisco Molinari.... All 5'8 and under. Woosie was 5'4" and one of the longest players in the game in his prime. Jack and Arnold topped out at 5'10/5'9"
Tiger Woods weighed 158 in his early years.
Rickie's problem is he isn't a good closer. He consistently gets in the top 10 (except the last 2 years) but never has a good final round. His back to back birdies on 17 at the Players is his only exception.

Reactions: Knightmoves
He is 23rd in total distance. 3rd in driving efficiency. Stop the excuses.
I thought you knew a lot about professional golf. You don't have to be tall and muscular to hit it far.
Ever hear of Bobby Jones, Gary Player, Ian Woosnam, Francisco Molinari.... All 5'8 and under. Woosie was 5'4" and one of the longest players in the game in his prime. Jack and Arnold topped out at 5'10/5'9"
Tiger Woods weighed 158 in his early years.
Rickie's problem is he isn't a good closer. He consistently gets in the top 10 (except the last 2 years) but never has a good final round. His back to back birdies on 17 at the Players is his only exception.
Golf is all about excuses. I think his driving efficiency and total distance numbers tell the story. Golf is a game of misses. Rickie just can’t get away with being off. What impress me the most about Scheffler is that he manages to be in contention playing his B game.

Reactions: Caliknight
Golf is all about excuses. I think his driving efficiency and total distance numbers tell the story. Golf is a game of misses. Rickie just can’t get away with being off. What impress me the most about Scheffler is that he manages to be in contention playing his B game.
Excuses are for our golf games not for the pros. Saying 5 wins in 14 years is good, is a laughable excuse. It's ok to admit he is a good PGA player but you also can't say he knows how to close it out. That is his career shortcoming.

LA gets another US Open. Riviera CC gets 2031.
Not a huge fan of yearly tour stops getting the US Open too. I know they will make the course more challenging but still.

I doubt we will see another major at LACC. I do t think the members were too happy to have their course shut down or modified for so long.

They can’t even have guests for the rest of the year. Always something there lol

With ratings up significantly, the Broadcast partners are pushing the USGA for more west coast venues. The Wantanabe’s will need to make significant changes to Riviera or the scores will be amongst the lowest ever.
They can definitely make Riv more challenging. Plus the wind is guaranteed to blow that close to the ocean. They won’t have the problem with membership not wanting it either, basically because there aren’t many. For those that haven’t played there, it’s a weird place as clubs go. No vibe whatsoever. It’s a great course and clubhouse and you go in on a Saturday and literally no one is there. Very strange place.

Goes backwards again today. In the the top 15 players he was second worst in scoring. Just -1
You don't see his career pattern??

Goes backwards again today. In the the top 15 players he was second worst in scoring. Just -1
You don't see his career pattern??
Was watching the KPMG. can’t be disappointed with atop 15 finish. I have to see his avg round 4 scoring to see if he just can’t handle the pressure or is he just getting beat.

Was watching the KPMG. can’t be disappointed with atop 15 finish. I have to see his avg round 4 scoring to see if he just can’t handle the pressure or is he just getting beat.
Look at the Open and yesterday. That is his M.O.

Look at the Open and yesterday. That is his M.O.
Just read that he shot a 60 in round 3!!!! It’s hard to follow that up. There is always mean reversion. He is the underdog story and that’s why people like to cheer for him.

Ok
Just read that he shot a 60 in round 3!!!! It’s hard to follow that up. There is always mean reversion. He is the underdog story and that’s why people like to cheer for him.
He didn't need to shoot a 60 again! He finished top 15. Shot -1. Go look at the rest of the top 15. He beat just one other player. Just one. Round 4 did nothing. What don't you understand??

That happens nearly at every tournament I've been to. They are plentiful and cheap. What were you expecting?
Yep. They used school buses when the Senior PGA was at Aronimink in 2003. And I believe they also used buses at the US Open at Merion.

Not a huge fan of yearly tour stops getting the US Open too. I know they will make the course more challenging but still.

I doubt we will see another major at LACC. I do t think the members were too happy to have their course shut down or modified for so long.

They can’t even have guests for the rest of the year. Always something there lol

They are already schedule for one in 2039 or something like that, although I guess the USGA could always just change that.

Wait, what?
I saw this article today and it reminded me of your post. Not Rory's fault since he followed the rules official (but he essentially got to drop in front of the imbedded ball mark and one club length ended up practically on the fringe).

Reactions: Ty Webb
Rocket Mortgage Classic starts today from Detroit GC. Tony Finau said he expects the winning score to be more than -30. Par 72, 7370 yards.

Currently 5 tied at -7. Looks like a birdiefest.

Poor Tony shot 72, even par today. He’s got work to do to make the cut tomorrow.

Last edited:
Rocket Mortgage Classic starts today from Detroit GC. Tony Finau said he expects the winning score to be more than -30. Par 72, 7370 yards.

Currently 5 tied at -7. Looks like a birdiefest.

Poor Tony shot 72, even par today. He’s got work to do to make the cut tomorrow.
He's toast shooting even par. Currently tied for 100th

Justin Thomas with a 76 (150th) and Hideki Matsuyama with 75 (147th) today.

JT played well at Travelers last week but looked lost today.

Watching this Senior US Open coverage on Golf Channel is interesting. Roger Maltby definitely a little ornery with Dan Hicks. Dan Hicks has been getting worse and worse each year. I get the feeling these guys don’t really like each other since the firings last year. Seems awkward with the rest of the crew as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT