ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 NY Jets Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Ravens likely to tag Lamar.

Stupid money on the QB market right now - Geno Smith with $105 million??

Sounds like Jets were Rogers or bust to begin with.
I wouldn't say Rodgers or bust, but Rodgers was and is clearly Plan A. Carr was Plan B. The Jets slow-played Carr while waiting for Rodgers decision. However, Rodgers dances to his own tune and operates on his own timeline. Whether the Jets would have gotten Carr had they made him their priority, we will never know.

I am certain the Jets also have a Plan C, D, E and so on. Hopefully we will never need to learn what they are.

A few other thoughts:

1) Zach Wilson will not be the Jets starting QB in 2024. He just won't.

2) However, unless he is traded, he will be on the team. They won't cut him, as they would take an onerous cap hit.

3) If Rodgers and Wilson are both on the team, White won't be. They can't afford all three.

4) If they miss on Rodgers, I am guessing Garoppolo is Plan C, but I think he is LV bound.

5) If they go down to Plan D (Brissett? Minshew?) then maybe they bring back White to compete with him.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I wouldn't say Rodgers or bust, but Rodgers was and is clearly Plan A. Carr was Plan B. The Jets slow-played Carr while waiting for Rodgers decision. However, Rodgers dances to his own tune and operates on his own timeline. Whether the Jets would have gotten Carr had they made him their priority, we will never know.

I am certain the Jets also have a Plan C, D, E and so on. Hopefully we will never need to learn what they are.

A few other thoughts:

2) However, unless he is traded, he will be on the team. They won't cut him, as they would take an onerous cap hit.

3) If Rodgers and Wilson are both on the team, White won't be. They can't afford all three.

4) If they miss on Rodgers, I am guessing Garoppolo is Plan C, but I think he is LV bound.

5) If they go down to Plan D (Brissett? Minshew?) then maybe they bring back White to compete with him.
Wilson and Streyvler are the only Jet QBs under contract currently. If this thing with Rodgers works out, those will be the 3 QBs for 2023 in all probability. One additional impact if Rodgers ends up with the Jets is the potential positive impact it could have on Wilson’s development. Besides sitting and learning behind a great QB, they have a bit of a social relationship . Rodgers is Wilson’s QB hero and they communicate with each other .

A few other thoughts:

Jimmy G definitely sounds like he is heading to LV. Him and Stidham will be the Tom Brady back-up combo.

Wilson and Streyvler are the only Jet QBs under contract currently. If this thing with Rodgers works out, those will be the 3 QBs for 2023 in all probability. One additional impact if Rodgers ends up with the Jets is the potential positive impact it could have on Wilson’s development. Besides sitting and learning behind a great QB, they have a bit of a social relationship . Rodgers is Wilson’s QB hero and they communicate with each other .
I guess the unknown is whether the Jets believe that Wilson is still salvageable.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Giants re-sign Jones, so he is off the board.

Ravens slap the non-exclusive tag on Jackson, so he is technically still on the board. But the price, both in dollars and draft picks, will be high.

Being a long time Jets fan I bet that the Jets get burned with Rodgers.

Either he doesn’t sign with them, or if he does, he plays like like a 40 yo QB who is playing out the string.

Carr, at 32 yo, was a far better choice and involved giving up no players or draft picks.

Same old Jets. They care more about team revenues than they do about team performance results on the field.

Last edited:
Jets have reportedly spoken with Rodgers, with the Packers permission.

What I hope the Jets told him was "Aaron, you're our #1 guy. But you're not our only guy. We need an answer by March 15, when free agency opens. Otherwise, we're moving on."

I doubt it though.

There is a report on ESPN this morning, that the Jets organization is “optimistic” about getting Rodgers after their in person meeting. We’ll see how it plays out.

There is a report on ESPN this morning, that the Jets organization is “optimistic” about getting Rodgers after their in person meeting. We’ll see how it plays out.
It will be interesting now what comp will be asked by GB.
Both GB and tge Jets have no bargaining power on this one anymore..,

It will be interesting now what comp will be asked by GB.
Both GB and tge Jets have no bargaining power on this one anymore..,
If Rodgers says "I want to play for the Jets or no one", then the price will not be high.

NFL Network reporting that the Jets and Packers have agreed on the terms of a Rodgers trade, although they did not disclose those terms.

Looks like it's a done deal when/if Rodgers gives the word.

Sounds like the Jets would have had to reach an agreement with the Packers on trade compensation before being granted permission to speak with him about his contract. I really don't see merit in giving up a #1 pick for him. Who are the competing against for his services? Its not just the pick but they are going to have to make some significant cap moves to fit him in financially as well. The only way I am paying that high of a pick is if the Packers are retaining enough of a financial obligation that this is a cap neutral move for the Jets. Maybe a conditional first but it sounds like a 1st plus. Ambassador Johnson being back on American soil full time is not a good thing.

Rodgers' contract is actually fairly cap-friendly for the Jets for 2023. What it is not, is checkbook-friendly.

Rodgers is due some crazy-ass bonus payment this year, over $50M I think. Because it is a bonus and not salary, for cap purposes it is prorated over the four year term of the contract.

You are right that a key question is how the Jets and Packers have agreed to split the liability for the bonus payment. The more the Jets pay in cash, the less they will have to pay in draft pick currency. Woody has said he is willing to open the checkbook. We shall see.

Of course none of this matters until Aaron gives the word.

Rodgers' contract is actually fairly cap-friendly for the Jets for 2023. What it is not, is checkbook-friendly.

Rodgers is due some crazy-ass bonus payment this year, over $50M I think. Because it is a bonus and not salary, for cap purposes it is prorated over the four year term of the contract.

You are right that a key question is how the Jets and Packers have agreed to split the liability for the bonus payment. The more the Jets pay in cash, the less they will have to pay in draft pick currency. Woody has said he is willing to open the checkbook. We shall see.

Of course none of this matters until Aaron gives the word.
Will the Jets be giving up players in this deal? Any idea if top players will be involved?

Lamar is electric and I wouldn’t be disappointed if the Jets made that deal because it would make game’s exciting for sure - but QBs with his style of play don’t last long in the NFL.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Giants fan.

Why wouldn't the Jets kick the tires on Lamar? The trade comp is only 2 first round picks.
That is not technically correct. Lamar will be a Restricted Free Agent. That means the Ravens can match whatever offer that the Jets and Lamar agree to.

Teams like the Jets are often leery of these situations. The risk is that Lamar's agent may just be playing them to build up the price for his return to the Ravens. Meanwhile the other QB targets sign elsewhere.

Rightly or wrongly, Rodgers is their Plan A.

Reactions: NickRU714
For the Jet's- the smart move with AR would to offer to pick up most of the cash bonus and less on draft pick. And I can't see us moving a starter in the trade either- the reason to go all in on an older QB like AR is that we feel we have everything else ready to win now.
But, we are the Jet's- we are not going to do this smart...

For the Jet's- the smart move with AR would to offer to pick up most of the cash bonus and less on draft pick. And I can't see us moving a starter in the trade either- the reason to go all in on an older QB like AR is that we feel we have everything else ready to win now.
But, we are the Jet's- we are not going to do this smart...
As fans, we always consider it smart for our owner to spend. But we can understand why Woody Johnson might have a different perspective on this one. We are after all talking about $59 million.

Woody Johnson is not Steve Cohen. Few owners are.

As fans, we always consider it smart for our owner to spend. But we can understand why Woody Johnson might have a different perspective on this one. We are after all talking about $59 million.

On this one the Jets have cast their lot. If it doesn’t work out, the organization is going to come under heavy criticism.

Giants fan.

Why wouldn't the Jets kick the tires on Lamar? The trade comp is only 2 first round picks.
Because the Jets want to win a championship. Lamar hasn't proven it when it counts. His contract demands will seriously impact their budget/cap. Add in 2 first round picks and his questionable health the past 2 years, very risky move.

NFL is more of a money maker in 17 games than MLB is in 162- Woody has no worries about an extra xmillion per year for the next three years and how it impacts himself.
So- he has 2 choices- keep an extra 20mil in his pocket and trade 1st rounds picks or spend maybe .1 % of his profits over his ownership to pay the bonus and keep the picks.

I’m starting to get the same feeling about this Rodgers thing that I had watching the final NCAA BB bracket yesterday. Watch this thing fall through and Rodgers sign with someone else or retire. That would be par for the course for Jet fans.

I will be happy if the Rodgers thing falls through. I am amazed how so many fans are acting like Rodgers gives the Jets a shot at the SB. They haven’t even made the playoffs yet, there are in the AFC, Rodgers has underperformed in the playoffs his whole career and he is old and regressing.

The Jets play was to pick up Carr or Garropolo and continue to build up the team while making the playoffs and learning how to win.

I will be happy if the Rodgers thing falls through. I am amazed how so many fans are acting like Rodgers gives the Jets a shot at the SB. They haven’t even made the playoffs yet, there are in the AFC, Rodgers has underperformed in the playoffs his whole career and he is old and regressing.

The Jets play was to pick up Carr or Garropolo and continue to build up the team while making the playoffs and learning how to win.
I wanted Carr as my first choice but I don't think he ever had the intention of coming here. Garropolo- hell no
As for Rodgers- Here is the problem- we have NO ONE in the single most important position in sports. We also have a young defense that have a chance to even get better. We also have a WR that has the chance to be a superstar. And if we make a smart trade- we have some very good picks coming up to go after OL or any other hole we deem important.
Without a very good QB- we may even miss the playoffs again. With a very good, even if aging QB- we make the playoffs fairly easy. And if everything else holds up- we have a shot at a run.
We just are not in a good position.

I wanted Carr as my first choice but I don't think he ever had the intention of coming here. Garropolo- hell no
As for Rodgers- Here is the problem- we have NO ONE in the single most important position in sports. We also have a young defense that have a chance to even get better. We also have a WR that has the chance to be a superstar. And if we make a smart trade- we have some very good picks coming up to go after OL or any other hole we deem important.
Without a very good QB- we may even miss the playoffs again. With a very good, even if aging QB- we make the playoffs fairly easy. And if everything else holds up- we have a shot at a run.
We just are not in a good position.
If we missed on Carr that is fine but there is a lot of smoke that he moved on because the Jets would not commit to anything until Rodgers makes his decision.

I don’t see how you can say the Jets will make the playoffs “fairly easily”. The AFC is very tough and Rodgers couldn’t get a Packer team with a much better Oline to the playoffs last year. Even if Rodgers commits to this year his track record is that at best we will be going through this same QB uncertainty next year.

If we missed on Carr that is fine but there is a lot of smoke that he moved on because the Jets would not commit to anything until Rodgers makes his decision.

I don’t see how you can say the Jets will make the playoffs “fairly easily”. The AFC is very tough and Rodgers couldn’t get a Packer team with a much better Oline to the playoffs last year. Even if Rodgers commits to this year his track record is that at best we will be going through this same QB uncertainty next year.
Carr or Rodgers on last year's team has us in the playoffs.
We win the 2nd NE game- not giving us the first one as Wilson had a good game and we lost. Minn/Buff/Mia all good chance of wins as well.

Carr or Rodgers on last year's team has us in the playoffs.
We win the 2nd NE game- not giving us the first one as Wilson had a good game and we lost. Minn/Buff/Mia all good chance of wins as well.
This year won’t be last year. Jets have a tough schedule. Other teams improve/decline. Will Tua miss a game and give them a free win this year?

This year won’t be last year. Jets have a tough schedule. Other teams improve/decline. Will Tua miss a game and give them a free win this year?
agree- every year is different. And let's just say AR had one of his worst years last year. But let's put his bad year 26 TD/12Int into our backfield. And I am willing to go into battle with him.
If we are with Wilson/White next year- we waste another year of this defense.

So the free agent contact period opened, and the Jets are letting it go by, waiting for Rodgers.

If he really wanted to be a Jet, would it have been so hard to get him to make a decision by noon today?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Looks like my Raiders signed Jimmy G. Seriously, he will be fine. QB wasn't the big issue in recent years. It has been the awful defense. Happy we didn't trade away picks for a QB.

The solution never should have been Wilson (White is gone), they should not have abstained from committing to a Carr or Garropolo while waiting for Rodgers.

Now, after kissing Rodgers’ ass for a week and counting, they might be left with alternatives like Darnold or Brissett if Rodgers ends up not coming.

The solution never should have been Wilson (White is gone), they should not have abstained from committing to a Carr or Garropolo while waiting for Rodgers.

Now, after kissing Rodgers’ ass for a week and counting, they might be left with alternatives like Darnold or Brissett if Rodgers ends up not coming.
I hadnt realized White left...
If I had been the Jet's my number one would have always been Carr. Then it is Rodgers but I was not interested in any of the others.

I hadnt realized White left...
If I had been the Jet's my number one would have always been Carr. Then it is Rodgers but I was not interested in any of the others.
The news just broke of White to the Dolphins.

That’s the problem, everybody is out there making deals and the Jets are just sitting there waiting for Rodgers. They will have difficulty even making deals on other positions, not knowing what they are spending at QB.

The news just broke of White to the Dolphins.

That’s the problem, everybody is out there making deals and the Jets are just sitting there waiting for Rodgers. They will have difficulty even making deals on other positions, not knowing what they are spending at QB.
If AR says no, who is left? I guess Lamar.

awesome, i am a jet fan again

FrHxjXNWcAYZ6Wf

Reactions: hankee18
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT