ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 NY Jets Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you rather have in 2023:

Option A = Your 2nd round pick and Zach Wilson
Option B = Not your 2nd round pick and Aaron Rodgers

Come on, let's be serious.

I vote for Option C. I'd gladly give up multiple first-round picks for Lamar Jackson. Or, how about any number of simply serviceable QB options? Watch Rodgers play in 2022 - the dude didn't want to get hit anymore. He's, what 39 years old?

Ugh. Jets getting fleeced. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this ends up horribly for the Jets. Swapping #1 picks and giving up a #2 for a washed-up head-case. Yuck.
The pick swap is not that big deal. If you did that with a pick trade you would have to give up pick #100 to get from 15 to 13.

I don’t love the move either but they painted themselves in a corner.

Ugh. Jets getting fleeced. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this ends up horribly for the Jets. Swapping #1 picks and giving up a #2 for a washed-up head-case. Yuck.
Washed up head case? He was the NFL MVP in 2020 and 2021 and will be in the HOF. A possible 2024 1st rd draft choice for him? I have no problem with that. It seems fans of this team will always find the darkness even if there is light shining. So many of those 1st rd draft picks become MVPs and will be in the HOF….right?

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Washed up head case? He was the NFL MVP in 2020 and 2021 and will be in the HOF. A possible 2024 1st rd draft choice for him? I have no problem with that. It seems fans of this team will always find the darkness even if there is light shining. So many of those 1st rd draft picks become MVPs and will be in the HOF….right?
No one is questioning that Aaron Rodgers WAS a great QB. One of the best ever.

We are questioning how much he has left in the tank, and how badly he wants it.

Jets gave up a lot to get Rodgers, but if he helps the Jets get to the Super Bowl it will be worth the price.
If not, thesecond guessing will be on the mean side towards Joe Douglas payment he made to Green Bay to bring Rodgers to NY.

They got raped, that is all. Jets just being the Jets.
That's a typical response from someone who cheers for Rutgers. 🤣 🤣 It's what you expect when you glance at the trade. Take a deeper look and explain how did the Jets get fleeced?

The 2022 draft was so unusual in that the Jets damn there hit a home run with all of their picks. It's not like the Jets' needs are so great that those picks are a must in 2023. Still, the Jets do have enough picks to add to the team. All the Jets did was switch 1st round picks (13th to 15th). The Jets gave up the 42nd pick to GB but added the 43rd from a trade earlier this year. The 6th-round pick the Jets are trading to GB will be the third time they traded their 6th-round pick since last year. It won't surprise me if they get it back through another trade.

The conditional 2nd-round pick for 2024, which can flip to a 1st-round pick, all depends on Rodgers' playing time. If Rodgers performs as expected, you can live with that trade. The defense is legit, and the Jets have some young studs on offense, so you have to strike while the window of opportunity is open. They don't last long in the NFL.

I am not fond of signing Rodgers even if all it cost was money. Would have preferred Carr.
I give you all the respect regarding baseball, but football is my lane. Carr is an older version of Wilson when you look beyond the surface. Carr has some solid numbers, but if any of you could see Carr's "all-22" film, you would realize he leaves a lot to desire as one of the top-half QB in the NFL. Even in a lousy year, Rodgers' play was better than 1/2 of the NFL's QB, and that was with an injured hand.

2022 Season
Carr: 3,522 yds for 24 TD to 14 INT
Carr had a better supporting cast on offense

Rodgers: 3,695 yds for 26 TD to 12 INT
An injured Rodgers had one real weapon on offense in Lazard.

As a seven decade Jet fan I'm OK with this trade. I'm concerned about Rodgers commitment at this stage in his career, not so much physically as mentally. When I saw him play last year, especially against the Jets, he seemed disinterested. With the vax issue, the Jeopardy gig and his dark retreat I just wonder if Aaron Rodgers just prefers being Aaron Rodgers and not Aaron Rodgers the football player.
That being said New York is one of the few places where he can get a kick start. Playing on the biggest stage on Earth maybe just what is needed.
I have no problem swapping first rounders this year and giving up a #6 and the additional #2 and the Jets offset that with an additional #5 this year.
As for the 2024 #1 at my age I'm not going to worry about 2024 right now.

Rodgers needs to play 3 years with the Jets- 3 playoffs- 1 SB win
The conditional should be based on him being with the team in 2024

I give you all the respect regarding baseball, but football is my lane. Carr is an older version of Wilson when you look beyond the surface. Carr has some solid numbers, but if any of you could see Carr's "all-22" film, you would realize he leaves a lot to desire as one of the top-half QB in the NFL. Even in a lousy year, Rodgers' play was better than 1/2 of the NFL's QB, and that was with an injured hand.

2022 Season
Carr: 3,522 yds for 24 TD to 14 INT
Carr had a better supporting cast on offense

Rodgers: 3,695 yds for 26 TD to 12 INT
An injured Rodgers had one real weapon on offense in Lazard.
I do defer to you in football wisdom, no question about that!

And for that matter, baseball too. Although many many years ago, I hit a home run in Little League.

I vote for Option C. I'd gladly give up multiple first-round picks for Lamar Jackson. Or, how about any number of simply serviceable QB options? Watch Rodgers play in 2022 - the dude didn't want to get hit anymore. He's, what 39 years old?
Lamar? LOL. Signing a diminishing running QB who has never proven it in a big spot to a contract that will destroy your cap for years to come. And all on top of that, giving up multiple first round picks.

Sounds like a great option. LOL!

Rodgers came into league one year after Eli
But he hasn't missed too many games
With the Jets young stars at WR and RB the offense could look good

3eC2mST.jpg

Fire sale on Zach Wilson jerseys.

I’m all in on AR. If it helps get good FA players and they can win NY plus make the playoffs I will take it to have meaningful games late in the season.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Fire sale on Zach Wilson jerseys.

I’m all in on AR. If it helps get good FA players and they can win NY plus make the playoffs I will take it to have meaningful games late in the season.

I wish Rodgers was taking # 12 so I could just add a taped on "1" before the 2 on the Wilson jersey i got my son.

Zero zip nilch chance that LJ would have ever been a Jet so that is a boat you shouldn’t jump on or use when discussing this trade.
I agree though that the Jets did a shit job here.

Jets gave up a lot to get Rodgers, but if he helps the Jets get to the Super Bowl it will be worth the price.
If not, thesecond guessing will be on the mean side towards Joe Douglas payment he made to Green Bay to bring Rodgers to NY.
The AFC is loaded at the QB position. The Super Bowl is a long shot.

The AFC is loaded at the QB position. The Super Bowl is a long shot.
The Jets are gambling that Rodgers gives then the same chance as the other
top AFC QBs give their team.
The Jets WRs will look much better with Rodgers throwing to them and if Hall;s knee is 100% just the threat of Rodgers passing will keep the opposing D from keying on the Jets running game and forcing their passing attck to produce ,
There's a big difference between opponents forcing the Jets to use Wilson's passing to beat them and letting Rodgers be forced to carry the team while the opponent makes stopping the run its priority.

Rodgers just made the Jets a worthy competitor to the other AFC teams with top QBs at the helm.

I think they overpaid. Where else was he going? He needs to play at least 2 years at a level that gets the Jets into the playoffs both years in order for this to make sense to me. Yes they only swapped down two slots but the value of that move is probably a third round pick.

You assume barring an injury he plays 65% of the snaps this year so they are paying a 2024 first with no guarantee he plays a second year. Two seconds and perhaps the pick swap this year seems like plenty for a 39 year old quarterback with a huge salary. Not sure why this took so long given the price they wound up paying. Woody Johnson rapidly moving up the meddling owner ranks.

I think they overpaid. Where else was he going? He needs to play at least 2 years at a level that gets the Jets into the playoffs both years in order for this to make sense to me. Yes they only swapped down two slots but the value of that move is probably a third round pick.

You assume barring an injury he plays 65% of the snaps this year so they are paying a 2024 first with no guarantee he plays a second year. Two seconds and perhaps the pick swap this year seems like plenty for a 39 year old quarterback with a huge salary. Not sure why this took so long given the price they wound up paying. Woody Johnson rapidly moving up the meddling owner ranks.
At first glance it seems like the Jets overpaid and I had that impression when I first read of what the Jets gave up.
But a closer look at what the Jets gave up and what came with Rodgers from Green Bay , the price Jets paid wasn't outrageous.
What I read:
the deal will see Rodgers, the No. 15 pick in the ’23 draft and a ’23 fifth-round pick (No. 170) head to the Jets in exchange for the No. 13 pick, a ’23 second-round pick (No. 42), a ’23 sixth-round pick (No. 207), and a conditional 2024 second-rounder.
It was also reported the ’24 conditional pick can turn into a first-round selection if the 39-year-old Rodgers plays 65% of the offensive snaps with the Jets this coming season.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Giant fan here and as much as it pains me, I think the Jets did pretty decent. He's makes your offense suddenly good when it was abysmal. You get 3 yrs. out of Rodgers and make it to an AFC Conference Championship game, something you haven't been to in over two decades. If I was a Jets fan I'd be very happy with that outcome. Face it, your team sucks at drafting QB's it was time to try a different approach.

Giant fan here and as much as it pains me, I think the Jets did pretty decent. He's makes your offense suddenly good when it was abysmal. You get 3 yrs. out of Rodgers and make it to an AFC Conference Championship game, something you haven't been to in over two decades. If I was a Jets fan I'd be very happy with that outcome. Face it, your team sucks at drafting QB's it was time to try a different approach.
The needles everyone is sitting on is what if he retires after this year but played 65% of the snaps- then the deal becomes F-ed...
I think the conditional pick is where the Jet's screwed it. It shouldnt go from a 2nd round to first round based on how many plays AR plays this year but should have been based on if he signs on for the 2nd year.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
The needles everyone is sitting on is what if he retires after this year but played 65% of the snaps- then the deal becomes F-ed...
I think the conditional pick is where the Jet's screwed it. It shouldnt go from a 2nd round to first round based on how many plays AR plays this year but should have been based on if he signs on for the 2nd year.
The problem with that is that Rodgers may not make his 2024 decision until after the 2024 draft. Or he may make a decision and then change his mind, one way or the other.

Or he could collude with the Jets so that he intentionally delays re-signing until after the draft.

Last edited:
I wonder where Rogers will live.
I don't see him buying a house for a year or two and I cant picture him in NYC.
I bet he lives in NJ where most NY football players live.
Tiki Barber is the only player I remember living in NYC.
I thought of this because a news article wondered how Rogers will like living in NYC and I chuckled

Once Vera-Tucker went down, the OL fell apart. They couldn't run block or pass protect.
An injury that is very much overlooked by fans. The guy was a rock. If he can come back at full strength and Becton can eat a salad or two and they get a stud OL in the first round all of a sudden that OL looks pretty good.

It should have been mostly based on success of the team. Think one of those "player to be named later" deals where the pick is based on making the playoffs, then how far into the playoffs should have been part of this deal. Would the league, Green Bay or players union sue if let's say, the Jets go south, and they choose to play Wilson at the back end of the season keeping Rodgers from that 65% mark?

Last edited:
I wonder where Rogers will live.
I don't see him buying a house for a year or two and I cant picture him in NYC.
I bet he lives in NJ where most NY football players live.
Tiki Barber is the only player I remember living in NYC.
I thought of this because a news article wondered how Rogers will like living in NYC and I chuckled
I can absolutely see Rodgers living somewhere in NYC. He is an outside the box type person and while he can like “the darkness” of rural Oregon, I could also see him enjoying the energy, diversity and attractions of NYC. Could see him emerging from a jazz club in the Village late at night.

You don't see him as an Alpine or Essex Fells guy? He can repurpose a guest house for his own personal darkness retreat

You don't see him as an Alpine or Essex Fells guy? He can repurpose a guest house for his own personal darkness retreat

I was in Franklin Lakes one day and saw a big and beautiful colonial revival with a brook and bridge across it. I told my friends about seeing the house and they said "Oh that's Phil Simms' House." That street was as attractive as any I've ever seen. Of course it was near a lake lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT