ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 NY Jets Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Rogers threatens to retire and they get nothing.

While Lamar is out there though it may give some leverage.

Rodgers is playing them both.He's trying to force Green Bay to trade him for less then they want in return and letting the Jets know whose boss with his demands.
The trade will happen after June 1st, unless the Jets panic and give up more than they should in an effort to please Rodgers.
I feel this will work out well for the Packers by getting rid of a unhappy drama queen and the Jets will get a talented diva that will be happy in NY as long as everyone ( media included) bows down to his greatness and don't upset him
The longer this goes, with other options finding homes, the Jets lose leverage.

The Jets should make their best offer, and if GB still wants anything close to the Lamar compensation, just move on and offer Lamar the guaranteed deal the Ravens didn’t want to give him.

With one of the compensation picks being 13 which is very valuable, the Ravens are likely to take the picks and not match.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
From all earlier reports, the Jets/Packers had a realistic trade agreement in place. I don’t think the Jets would have requested to speak with Rodgers if the asking price was ridiculous. It’s probably centered on a 1st round pick and they need to figure it out. I highly doubt the Jets will not get this done. They would face a fan revolt and media assault. I don’t see Jackson as a realistic option, they are not going to guarantee that much $$ for a running QB who has missed significant games along with 2 first rd draft picks.

Reactions: Knightmoves
They do need to sign a #2 like Rush, but the whole world would know he is a #2, which applies no leverage.

Public courting of Lamar? Interesting... We don't want to hurt AR's notoriously paper-thin feelings though
Isn’t Zach Wilson the #2 QB for this season?

I read somewhere that if the Packers trade him before June 1'st they'll take around a $30 mil salary cap hit, giving Green Bay incentive to ask for a lot in return to trade him before then.
After that, what they want would be more reasonable and deal more likely to happen
If I read the linked article correctly, the June 1 date may or may not be that big a deal to the Packers.

If they trade Rodgers at any time this year, Green Bay is looking at a $40.3M dead money cap charge. The issue is the timing. If before June 1, the full $40.3M is charged in 2023. If after June 1, only $15.8M is charged in 2023, but the remaining $24.5M is charged in 2024. Pay me now or pay me later. How important this timing issue is to them, I cannot say.

If the Packers would like to receive 2023 draft pick(s) in the trade, which I am guessing they do, then the deadline is draft day which is April 27. I think the trade gets done by then, although it may go down to the wire.

Also, since Rodgers has basically stated he's playing for the Jets or nobody, he has leverage. He can demand that the trade be completed before X date (definitely before June 1) or he's retiring. If he did retire before June 1, then the Packers get hit with the full $40.3M charge without getting any draft pick compensation. Would Rodgers use all the leverage available to him? All signs point to yes.

Barring retirement, the absolute drop dead date for the trade is September 1. That is the deadline by which Rodgers' employer, whomever it may be, must pay him a $59M bonus. Would Rodgers and the Jets be willing to wait that long? Miss all that practice? We all know that Rodgers is no fan of preseason practice, so who knows?

Reactions: MADHAT1
From all earlier reports, the Jets/Packers had a realistic trade agreement in place. I don’t think the Jets would have requested to speak with Rodgers if the asking price was ridiculous. It’s probably centered on a 1st round pick and they need to figure it out. I highly doubt the Jets will not get this done. They would face a fan revolt and media assault. I don’t see Jackson as a realistic option, they are not going to guarantee that much $$ for a running QB who has missed significant games along with 2 first rd draft picks.
Reporters get information because teams leak it. Teams leak information to suit their own purposes. Doesn't mean it's true. Packers may have leaked misinformation that the deal was in place, to put pressure on the Jets to get it done. Jets may now have countered with misinformation that the sides are very far apart.

I agree this gets done, but not before draft day, or close to it.

Reporters get information because teams leak it. Teams leak information to suit their own purposes. Doesn't mean it's true. Packers may have leaked misinformation that the deal was in place, to put pressure on the Jets to get it done. Jets may now have countered with misinformation that the sides are very far apart.

I agree this gets done, but not before draft day, or close to it.
My gut says it officially happens after the June deadline. And GB gets the 2024 pick.
If the Jets give up this year’s 13 pick- then they are damn fools.
Are there any top QB’s on the market next year.

There should be a fan revolt if they give up pick 13, but most Jets fans inexplicably believe that a guy who couldn’t get the Packers to the Super Bowl with a better team and home field advantage in a weaker conference, coming off his worst season at an age all quarterbacks not named Brady regress, is going to instantly make the Jets SB contenders in the stacked AFC.

Lamar Jackson was successful playing a pro style offense at Louisville and only missed one game there. The Ravens refused to get him weapons to open up the passing game, and courted injury by continually playing an offense that kept the ball in his hands too much. Jackson would change the Jets fortunes for years to come. Rodgers will at best play one year before he starts the same offseason drama about retiring.

Jets are so focused on clinging onto Pick #13 when they want to hold onto it because it is so valuable for the future...but they want Aaron Rodgers as part of a win-this-year strategy. If you're not all-in for this year, then Aaron Rodgers should not be your guy. All in means coughiing up the 13th pick so you can win it all this year and get that monkey off your back.

Jets are so focused on clinging onto Pick #13 when they want to hold onto it because it is so valuable for the future...but they want Aaron Rodgers as part of a win-this-year strategy. If you're not all-in for this year, then Aaron Rodgers should not be your guy. All in means coughiing up the 13th pick so you can win it all this year and get that monkey off your back.
If the Jets get Rodgers for this year are they better than the Chiefs? The Bengals? The Bills? . Based on trend they aren’t better than the Jaguars either.

Betting everything on this year is a really bad bet,

Jet's should not give up number 13. AR makes them a so much better team that could beat anyone else any given Sunday. They beat the Bills this year and most likely would have also beaten the Pats this year if they had half the QB AR is.
But, the 13th pick is also what could be a huge piece of winning this year or next. We need an impact OL.

Also- for what it is worth- I get tired of the "Are the Jet's better than this or that team" - What I know is that with their defense, their top 3 WR, a good TE - they need help on OL and QB. Why the hell couldn't they be better than those teams when they play them?
I think it is more of a risk not keeping number 13 if you want to win this year or next- AR makes them better but if you can't get an impact OL, then it Wont be enough. Rodgers and the 13th pick- could be what makes them a complete team.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
Derek Carr now looks like the chalk pick at QB for the Jets. No compensation required to sign him.

I'm reading post after post, but have any of you really listened to what is at stake for both teams?
Green Bay has backed itself into a corner with little wiggle room.

1) Their GM made it clear Rodgers is not a part of GB's future.

2) GB would have $99 million in dead money if Rodgers is released in 2023. If the Packers keep Rodgers, the cap hit is #32 million. That's not a position of power when you still have to decide if you will pick up Jordan Love's 5th-year option, stunt his growth, and have trouble brewing with an upset Rodgers on the team. Do you waste another year of development for Love with Rodgers around?

3) According to "player value," GB would be hard-pressed to get even one 1st round pick. Fair value, according to experts, is a 2nd round pick in 2023 and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, depending on Rodgers returning to play in 2024.

4) The GB GM stated weeks ago they weren't looking for 1st round pick because it might complicate things.

5 ) One theory is that GB is slow to make decisions without an owner giving marching orders.

The Jets don't have to rush this. They can wait until the draft before it becomes a problem for both teams.

Reactions: Knightmoves
There should be a fan revolt if they give up pick 13, but most Jets fans inexplicably believe that a guy who couldn’t get the Packers to the Super Bowl with a better team and home field advantage in a weaker conference, coming off his worst season at an age all quarterbacks not named Brady regress, is going to instantly make the Jets SB contenders in the stacked AFC.

Lamar Jackson was successful playing a pro style offense at Louisville and only missed one game there. The Ravens refused to get him weapons to open up the passing game, and courted injury by continually playing an offense that kept the ball in his hands too much. Jackson would change the Jets fortunes for years to come. Rodgers will at best play one year before he starts the same offseason drama about retiring.
Has Jackson done anything in the playoffs? He is a very good QB , probably top 10 in the NFL. Rodgers is 1 year removed from being an NFL MVP. If he QBs the Jets next season , they will have one of the the top 4 or 5 QBs in the AFC. That gives them a very good chance to be a playoff team that can win playoff games. The Jets beat the Bills with Zach Wilson and played them close with Mike White last year. With a healthy Rodgers , they would have a shot against the Bengals and Chiefs. Are you saying that is not worth whatever OL or Safety the would take with the 13th pick in the draft? You would have a QB who has actually won a Super Bowl.

Has Jackson done anything in the playoffs? He is a very good QB , probably top 10 in the NFL. Rodgers is 1 year removed from being an NFL MVP. If he QBs the Jets next season , they will have one of the the top 4 or 5 QBs in the AFC. That gives them a very good chance to be a playoff team that can win playoff games. The Jets beat the Bills with Zach Wilson and played them close with Mike White last year. With a healthy Rodgers , they would have a shot against the Bengals and Chiefs. Are you saying that is not worth whatever OL or Safety the would take with the 13th pick in the draft? You would have a QB who has actually won a Super Bowl.
Yesterday on the NFL Network, one dude said that even if the Jets were to get Rodgers, they could not beat the Bill, NE, or Miami. Rodgers isn't good anymore. But you are right about how the Jets beat Buffalo with a bad Zach Wilson and came close to repeating it with Mike White. The Jets split with Miami. That second game was a 6-9 score with less than 20 seconds left. Wilson, being Wilson, couldn't even act like he was an average QB, which would have been the difference in the second Miami game. The Jets shot themselves in the foot both times against NE.

I'm reading post after post, but have any of you really listened to what is at stake for both teams?
Green Bay has backed itself into a corner with little wiggle room.

1) Their GM made it clear Rodgers is not a part of GB's future.

2) GB would have $99 million in dead money if Rodgers is released in 2023. If the Packers keep Rodgers, the cap hit is #32 million. That's not a position of power when you still have to decide if you will pick up Jordan Love's 5th-year option, stunt his growth, and have trouble brewing with an upset Rodgers on the team. Do you waste another year of development for Love with Rodgers around?

3) According to "player value," GB would be hard-pressed to get even one 1st round pick. Fair value, according to experts, is a 2nd round pick in 2023 and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, depending on Rodgers returning to play in 2024.

4) The GB GM stated weeks ago they weren't looking for 1st round pick because it might complicate things.

5 ) One theory is that GB is slow to make decisions without an owner giving marching orders.

The Jets don't have to rush this. They can wait until the draft before it becomes a problem for both teams.
I think the April 27 draft is the Packers threshold date.

I think the Jets threshold is April 17 - the day when teams are allowed to begin off-season workouts.

So, the Packers may perceive that the Jets have the greater urgency. And that the Jets will blink first.

Of course, that assumes that Rodgers would show up for April workouts anyway. His distaste for practice appears to be reaching Iversonian levels.

My gut says it officially happens after the June deadline. And GB gets the 2024 pick.
If the Jets give up this year’s 13 pick- then they are damn fools.
Are there any top QB’s on the market next year.
I'm thinking round 2 pick this year and a 3 next year and then a condition 1 for 2026 draft( if Rodgers plays for Jets in 2025 GB gets Jet"s #1, if he leaves NY as a FA or retires no pick. )

Aaron Rodgers won a Super Bowl a dozen years ago, and since then has underperformed in the playoffs holding what is supposed to be a big home field advantage. As 4-5th best QB in the AFC he isn’t taking a team that hasn’t been in the playoffs in over a decade to the Super Bowl.

The Jets need to take the work they have done on this team and continue building a multi year playoff team, not throw their money in hoping to hit an inside straight this one year.

Aaron Rodgers won a Super Bowl a dozen years ago, and since then has underperformed in the playoffs holding what is supposed to be a big home field advantage. As 4-5th best QB in the AFC he isn’t taking a team that hasn’t been in the playoffs in over a decade to the Super Bowl.

The Jets need to take the work they have done on this team and continue building a multi year playoff team, not throw their money in hoping to hit an inside straight this one year.
Aaron would be a nice 1-2 year rental if the price paid to get him doesn't hurt the Jets drafting future and he doesn't become to demanding..
I personal belive he'll start blaming everyone and everything, but himself, if the Jets don't turn into super bowl contenders .
If they get to a super bowl, no problem with him taking more credit than deserved

So- let’s just look at the top QB's-last 3 years Maholmes is the clear number 1 with Allen and Rodgers pretty close and Burrow behind them.
And Rodgers has more MVPs over the past 3 years than the 3 of them combined. Just saying

Aaron would be a nice 1-2 year rental if the price paid to get him doesn't hurt the Jets drafting future and he doesn't become to demanding..
I personal belive he'll start blaming everyone and everything, but himself, if the Jets don't turn into super bowl contenders .
If they get to a super bowl, no problem with him taking more credit than deserved
To me the wild card is whether the Jets still believe that Zach Wilson has the potential that they saw when they drafted him. If so, a short term solution makes sense.

So- let’s just look at the top QB's-last 3 years Maholmes is the clear number 1 with Allen and Rodgers pretty close and Burrow behind them.
And Rodgers has more MVPs over the past 3 years than the 3 of them combined. Just saying
Who gives a shit about past MVPs? The dumbest thing in sports is looking back, and especially looking back and overvaluing someone for great things they did for another team, not yours.

Based on how Rodgers has played this year, and his age, I wouldn’t favorably compare him to Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, and Jackson if healthy.

Who gives a shit about past MVPs? The dumbest thing in sports is looking back, and especially looking back and overvaluing someone for great things they did for another team, not yours.

Based on how Rodgers has played this year, and his age, I wouldn’t favorably compare him to Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, and Jackson if healthy.
On a down year after 2 MVP’s - he was 3600 yds and 26/12
That is a horrible year for him in a situation he hated being in.
Jets have not had a single QB surpass 10 TD’s in the past 3 years.

Niw- I would not give up this year’s first round for him. But if we keep this year’s and get the guy…is 3600 26 TD really not still at the top of the QB list?
He will also have his to WR and Wilson who could have the possibility to be a top 5 WR in the league.
I’m just saying that anyone saying Rodgers is not still a top QB- you are crazy. There is no proof of it.

Cousins and Vikes at odds

The Jets supposed interest is pure speculation.

The window is so narrow with Rodgers, you can't give up the 13 pick because it is needed to take advantage of the narrow window. An immediate upgrade on the OL with the 13th pick and Vera-Tucker and/or Becton returning from injury are needed to make a legitimate run. Even with all these, and assuming Breece Hall can come back early in the season from his ACL, its a tough road against a pretty stacked conference to do more than just make the playoffs.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Nothing will happen before April 17 at the earliest. That's when off-season workouts beginm The Packers are hoping that the Jets fold their hand at that point, as they will want Rodgers in camp. But since Rodgers' aversion to voluntary workouts has reached Iversonian levels, this date may be moot.

The next key date is April 27, draft day. The Jets are hoping the Packers fold their hand at this point. My guess is that they do. Packers get Jets 2023 #2, 2024 #1, and Corey Davis. Jets get Rodgers and 2024 #3.

The Jets supposed interest is pure speculation.

Sure thing - makes sense though
Cousins is underrated imo
If he's adrift he might be good to lift out of the sea
I'm weary of the Jets being the NFL version of the place elephants go to die.
Favre, Lott, Tomlinson, Monk, Reed, Law, Atwater, Taylor (Jason), Faneca - its like a lot of HOF players can't retire without a lackluster stop at the Jets on the way out

Reactions: Scarlet1984
The Jets needed to give them the conditional 2024 2nd rd pick that is probably going to become a 1st rd barring an injury to Rodgers. They still should be able to get one of top OTs at pick #15 rather than #13 this year.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
The Jets needed to give them the conditional 2024 2nd rd pick that is probably going to become a 1st rd barring an injury to Rodgers. They still should be able to get one of top OTs at pick #15 rather than #13 this year.
No assurances past 1 year, makes it a big gamble. Granted that 24 pick is probably going to be pick 25+ (hopefully 32).

If pick 15 comes and there isnt one of the big OTs left, it will be a big faux pas.

No assurances past 1 year, makes it a big gamble. Granted that 24 pick is probably going to be pick 25+ (hopefully 32).

If pick 15 comes and there isnt one of the big OTs left, it will be a big faux pas.
The Jets right now have Brown, Becton and AVT who can play tackle. If the OTs you want are gone at 15, you take DL or LB there, take one of the best IOL in the draft at 43 (to make it easier to move AVT over if you have to) and take an OT later who might not be an immediate starter but adds depth and can be a future starter.

Ugh. Jets getting fleeced. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this ends up horribly for the Jets. Swapping #1 picks and giving up a #2 for a washed-up head-case. Yuck.
Agreed, need to win it all to be worth it. But just getting competent QB play is going to be a breath of fresh air for Jets fans.

From this article, https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...e-super-bowl-bust-jets-next-packers-nfl-teams ;

The Jets haven't had a starting quarterback post back-to-back above-average seasons by the era-adjusted stats at Pro Football Reference since Ken O'Brien did it in 1990 and 1991, more than 30 years ago. They've had just six above-average seasons from their quarterbacks over that timeframe and just one since 2004, when Josh McCown snuck over the bar in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT