ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Back to K-12 school......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teachers at the K-8 level are not replaceable? What a joke.

Get some young substitute teachers in there who are out of work and can follow a lesson plan. The ones with the liberal arts degrees living in their parents basement.

Teachers don’t want to go back to the classroom. Teachers unions are in favor of not going back. Watch this play out.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/12/weingarten-no-way-schools-open-this-fall-without-funding/
You aren’t good at reading comprehension are you . I am saying in a normal school year , you don’t have teachers and substitutes lined up to step in , let alone young teachers with teaching degrees. On paper , your theory that young people out of work will just be willing and able to step in to replace verified veteran teachers is great but really not realistic

However you are ignorant to the fact that you think all of these young adults will have teaching degrees and “just following the lesson plans” is enough to give these kids satisfactory eduction . There is something called classroom management along with working with special needs students plus a million other issues that is not written in a lesson plan . Then to top it off put someone in there that has no clue about eduction for an entire year during a pandemic where kids have masks on , can’t work in small groups because of social distancing ,etc etc and lets see how well the students progress and if their parents will be happy . Shoot parents in my district aren’t happy if they get a certain teacher who has been teaching for 20 years because they “heard “ from someone else they were bad

Not that easy for someone to just drop 5 figures on education . Also why is private better anyways? You definitely aren’t getting top of the line teachers in private schools that’s for sure . You are getting smaller class sizes and controlled student population i get that , but you are also paying a lot of money depending on where you go
Much better teachers or should I say better teaching since they don't have to conform to awful state, federal, and union mandates. They are in more control of their classrooms. Routinely, the top public school teachers quit after they get enough pension years and race over to elite privates. The difference here is liberating to them. Also, local BOEs are normally dysfunctional and provide poor leadership.

Yes, you are correct on smaller class sizes, controlled student population, better aligned peer group including parents who form a more united community. Amazing amount of benefits especially during these uncertain times.

The vast majority of People with a decent household income aren’t sending their kids to school any more than they are spending money in this economy. Nothing works with 20,000+ cases/1000+ deaths per day. Nothing.

And I believe there are a decent number of teachers who won’t go back. Heathcare workers did/are doing an amazing job considering what they signed up for, not sure teachers are cut from that exact cloth. Tough to blame them, honestly.
At times, you come across as really out of touch. I have 3 kids, I have yet to speak to one parent at any party, practice, or camp who doesn’t want their kids back in school full time.

Much better teachers or should I say better teaching since they don't have to conform to awful state, federal, and union mandates. They are in more control of their classrooms. Routinely, the top public school teachers quit after they get enough pension years and race over to elite privates. The difference here is liberating to them. Also, local BOEs are normally dysfunctional and provide poor leadership.

Yes, you are correct on smaller class sizes, controlled student population, better aligned peer group including parents who form a more united community. Amazing amount of benefits especially during these uncertain times.
Not saying you are wrong about the teachers moving over but I’ve been in my district 14 years now and never heard of anyone moving over , even after pension years. The difference in pay would be a big step down and no teacher coming out given the choice financially is going to take the private school job if they have a better option .

At times, you come across as really out of touch. I have 3 kids, I have yet to speak to one parent at any party, practice, or camp who doesn’t want their kids back in school full time.
+1
You are right on this.

Actually no , there aren’t teachers assistants and people just willing and ready to step in . There is a shortage of teachers already and the assistants are called paraprofessionals or aids . They are in charge of special education students or a group of them . My district is a top ten district ranked in the state and most of ours are older and haven’t even been given a contract for next year yet with the financial and Heath uncertainty. Also, most of them dont have an education degree as we . It’s not like there are just 23 year olds with eduction degrees just waiting in the wings .
There is also a shortage of substitutes and who is going to want to substitute for chump change during a pandemic . Not that easy to just sub someone in.
My wife has never been a teacher. She’s in the home stretch of getting a nice gig teaching at a highly rated HS. She will do alternate route, nice salary, and I save 30k a year in health care costs.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Not saying you are wrong about the teachers moving over but I’ve been in my district 14 years now and never heard of anyone moving over , even after pension years. The difference in pay would be a big step down and no teacher coming out given the choice financially is going to take the private school job if they have a better option .
Teacher salaries at our local private schools are benchmarked and match the publics. Talking about the Princeton area elite privates, not the run of the mill diocese-based catholic schools. Teachers that come here routinely get a raise in base salary. No pension of course.

Teacher salaries at our local private schools are benchmarked and match the publics. Talking about the Princeton area elite privates, not the run of the mill diocese-based catholic schools. Teachers that come here routinely get a raise in base salary. No pension of course.
I could see that at the top of the top private schools but not the vast majority of them . Even the delbartons im not sure what kind of teachers they are getting . I know one of my former student treachery’s couldn’t get a job in my district but ended up getting one at delbarton .

Reactions: T2Kplus10
My wife has never been a teacher. She’s in the home stretch of getting a nice gig teaching at a highly rated HS. She will do alternate route, nice salary, and I save 30k a year in health care costs.
Heath care is great , can’t argue there and will get better now with the elimination of chapter 78 .

Maybe I am incorrect.

My daughter never went to public school in my county, but as I posted above Maryland’s largest school system and the 16th largest school system in the country just announced they aren’t having in person classes in September. Not sure I am out of touch on this one. One of the most affluent counties in the country. We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
No we don’t. My grandfather generation had WW2. My mothers generation had Vietnam. We have overpriced colleges that kids choose to go to. All my friends that worked hard, college grads or not, have comfortable lives in their 40’s.
Exactly correct. The hardest working people I knew in college all did very well for themselves. One became the CEO of a large household name corporation. He was always studying... AND a frat guy. When he wasn't studying he was lifting or drinking at a party or sleeping. You'd never catch him goofing off... unless that was part of the schedule.. going out.

My neighbor has a 7yo and a 4yo.
He received a survey about preferences for the 7yo in our elementary school (every other day, every other week, half day, etc.)

He said he wanted to write in:
Other - everyday and all day.

Houses with 2 working from home parents and little kids (who need fairly constant supervision and entertainment) are itching to get kids back in school/daycare.

My wife and I are counting the days until our 4yo and 3yo go back to daycare (6 days!!).
We’re both WFH with zero drop in daily work responsibilities since 3/14.

You can’t just send a 4yo and a 3yo outside by themselves to play like you can with older kids.

Reactions: RU2131 and Wolv RU
Maybe I am incorrect.

My daughter never went to public school in my county, but as I posted above Maryland’s largest school system and the 16th largest school system in the country just announced they aren’t having in person classes in September. Not sure I am out of touch on this one. One of the most affluent counties in the country. We will see.
You said parents didn’t feel comfortable sending their kids. That’s very different then a district deciding to school at home.

My neighbor has a 7yo and a 4yo.
He received a survey about preferences for the 7yo in our elementary school (every other day, every other week, half day, etc.)

He said he wanted to write in:
Other - everyday and all day.

Houses with 2 working from home parents and little kids (who need fairly constant supervision and entertainment) are itching to get kids back in school/daycare.

My wife and I are counting the days until our 4yo and 3yo go back to daycare (6 days!!).
We’re both WFH with zero drop in daily work responsibilities since 3/14.

You can’t just send a 4yo and a 3yo outside by themselves to play like you can with older kids.
My nephew wife doesn’t seem like she want her 2.5 years old back to daycare since both parents are working from home. The 2.5 years old loves being at home. The 6 years old wants to go back to schools to be with her friends and the parents don’t mind. She probably not losing anything learning wise from home instead of school but she probably head of the class.

In my opinion, stu
You said parents didn’t feel comfortable sending their kids. That’s very different then a district deciding to school at home.

You don’t believe the district decision making takes in to account the thoughts and opinions of the parents in the County? Depending on what poll you like best, what do the between 30%-60% of parents who don’t believe it is safe to send their kids back to schools do? You think they are going to send their kids to school if they don’t think it is safe?

Please. I’m not much older than your son and I graduated grad school just months after 9/11. Not exactly best time to start a career. None of my fiends owned a house at 28, it’s not uncommon.
I owned my 2nd house at 28, made maybe $250/week and had an 11-12% mortgage. One child and one on the way and my wife stopped working when she was 6 months pregnant with my first and didn't go back to work until he started college and my 2nd was in HS. Yeah, they have it tough now a days.

In my opinion, stu

You don’t believe the district decision making takes in to account the thoughts and opinions of the parents in the County? Depending on what poll you like best, what do the between 30%-60% of parents who don’t believe it is safe to send their kids back to schools do? You think they are going to send their kids to school if they don’t think it is safe?
No, I don’t. People who don’t feel safe should keep their kids home. Schools should make accommodations to people who are high risk. That being said, they should also be prepared to actually educate people who want their kids to learn. Regardless of plan, teacher should be in school 5 days a week. Even if kids aren’t.

I owned my 2nd house at 28, made maybe $250/week and had an 11-12% mortgage. One child and one on the way and my wife stopped working when she was 6 months pregnant with my first and didn't go back to work until he started college and my 2nd was in HS. Yeah, they have it tough now a days.
You seem to forget, I fall into the “they” category

No, I don’t. People who don’t feel safe should keep their kids home. Schools should make accommodations to people who are high risk. That being said, they should also be prepared to actually educate people who want their kids to learn. Regardless of plan, teacher should be in school 5 days a week. Even if kids aren’t.
+1
Public school districts and local BOEs don't care much about parents and what they have to say. This goes for districts all across the state.

Next man up, just like on a sports team. Aren’t there plenty of teachers assistants already in the class room? They are usually young and can certainly step in to teach K-12 classes as needed.

What % of teachers do you expect to get sick?
These are teachers not soldiers, and most of my classes growing up did not have teaching assistants until college. The few we did have were for special needs children, and did not have a teaching license and did not know the material to teach a full class. It depends on how bad an outbreak is in a certain school or region. In regions with little Corona I excpet few teachers to be sick. In certain regions like hotspots in Florida if school were to open tomorrow I would expect many teachers sickened in certain districts where a high rate of infection exists.

+1
Public school districts and local BOEs don't care much about parents and what they have to say. This goes for districts all across the state.
Please support your opinions with facts. In a letter we received from the Superintendent of our son's high school district, the Superintendent said:

"The district has begun our conversation related to permissible reopening options for MCVSD as
we prepare to reopen in September. We are laying the groundwork, setting up expectations
and establishing several committees (Prescreening, Hybrid, Remote, In-Person, and Facilities).
These committees include parents, teachers, support staff, administrators and custodians.
Meeting with various stakeholders will allow us to gather input to develop the best possible plan
to establish safe and healthy learning conditions for our students.

We must complete a comprehensive reopening plan and submit it to the New Jersey
Department of Education for approval by the beginning of August. Once this plan is completed,
we will share it with you, so you can begin to plan for September. We will also provide a place
where you can submit questions and provide feedback regarding our opening plan
. We are
looking to open in September, following the safest plan possible, to establish normalcy for our
students
."

Contrary to your assertion, seems like at least one school district cares an awful lot about what parents have to say.

Maybe the parents who are sending their kids to events like parties, practice or camps right now are the wrong sample size to be asking such a question to.

Maybe the parents who are sending their kids to events like parties, practice or camps right now are the wrong sample size to be asking such a question to.
Maybe not. Maybe kids miss their friends and they want to socialize and practice. You know, be kids and do things kids do. If parents are comfortable with that and understand the risks to their household, there does not seem to be anything wrong with that. Those that are not comfortable with their kids doing such thing can keep their kids at home. Should we exclude their opinions? Of course not.

Reactions: Jm0513
Maybe not. Maybe kids miss their friends and they want to socialize and practice. You know, be kids and do things kids do. If parents are comfortable with that and understand the risks to their household, there does not seem to be anything wrong with that. Those that are not comfortable with their kids doing such thing can keep their kids at home. Should we exclude their opinions? Of course not.
Of course we shouldn't exclude them. But a parent who is allowing their kids to go to many different events is far likelier to allow their kids to go back to school than the parent who is not allowing them to go to any events. I am not passing judgement on either group.

Of course we shouldn't exclude them. But a parent who is allowing their kids to go to many different events is far likelier to allow their kids to go back to school than the parent who is not allowing them to go to any events. I am not passing judgement on either group.
We have not begun to see the toll that this pandemic and isolation has taken and will take on school aged (K-12) children. Just our direct experience, but it may be most difficult on high school kids. And social media/phone/texts/etc. don't quite cut it.

Reactions: Wolv RU
You seem to forget, I fall into the “they” category
Please support your opinions with facts. In a letter we received from the Superintendent of our son's high school district, the Superintendent said:

"The district has begun our conversation related to permissible reopening options for MCVSD as
we prepare to reopen in September. We are laying the groundwork, setting up expectations
and establishing several committees (Prescreening, Hybrid, Remote, In-Person, and Facilities).
These committees include parents, teachers, support staff, administrators and custodians.
Meeting with various stakeholders will allow us to gather input to develop the best possible plan

Department of Education for approval by the beginning of August. Once this plan is completed,
we will share it with you, so you can begin to plan for September. We will also provide a place
. We are
looking to open in September, following the safest plan possible, to establish normalcy for our
students
."

Contrary to your assertion, seems like at least one school district cares an awful lot about what parents have to say.
so cute that you believe them. Remember when Obama used to have business symposiums and then do the exact opposite of what they recommended. Yes, please ask questions, fill out your surveys and then wait for our decree.

. We are
students
."

Oh wow, you got a letter. [roll]
The fools running your school are just going to do what the state and union tells them to do. Everything else is just a dog and pony show.

Reactions: vkj91
Lol. You obviously don’t have kids. I have 3 kids going to camps right now. Last week each kids Sports camps had over 100 kids. Do you really think people are still dug in? Most people I speak to say the same thing “just gotta deal with this until November”.

so cute that you believe them. Remember when Obama used to have business symposiums and then do the exact opposite of what they recommended. Yes, please ask questions, fill out your surveys and then wait for our decree.
+1
Case study of gullibility.

Lol. You obviously don’t have kids. I have 3 kids going to camps right now. Last week each kids Sports camps had over 100 kids. Do you really think people are still dug in? Most people I speak to say the same thing “just gotta deal with this until November”.
So most people you speak to think this is all about an election? Then I know for a fact that you aren't speaking to a good cross section of people if that is the case. A bunch of people all with the same ideas.

We have not begun to see the toll that this pandemic and isolation has taken and will take on school aged (K-12) children. Just our direct experience, but it may be most difficult on high school kids. And social media/phone/texts/etc. don't quite cut it.
Right but how is that contrary to anything I said?

Schools should not open until possible vaccine
The administration running this country has made it a dumpster fire.
As someone who spent time in the cornfield a mod should not be breaking rules of this board which people get banished for

LOL. Stay home for another two years then.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
So most people you speak to think this is all about an election? Then I know for a fact that you aren't speaking to a good cross section of people if that is the case. A bunch of people all with the same ideas.
No, most people think this is all BS. Those people bought in to a lockdown. They agreed with the “follow the science” mandate. However, they realize nobody wants to follow the science anymore. It’s not about science, it’s about power

No, most people think this is all BS. Those people bought in to a lockdown. They agreed with the “follow the science” mandate. However, they realize nobody wants to follow the science anymore. It’s not about science, it’s about power
Must be the same group who all hated Murphy when you said his approval ratings of 70 something percent were fake because everyone you talk to can't stand him. I reccomend you widen your horizon. 137,000 dead Americans is bs lol.

Must be the same group who all hated Murphy when you said his approval ratings of 70 something percent were fake because everyone you talk to can't stand him. I reccomend you widen your horizon. 137,000 dead Americans is bs lol.
The top 20 counties by number of deaths are all in our metro area, with the exception of Cook County, Ill and LA. The vast majority of these deaths occurred early in the pandemic. Deaths per day now is as low as it has ever been in the US. Also, blame all those deaths on Cuomo, Murphy, and Wolf. Governors and state assemblies run their states. It certainly wasn't the POTUS's fault that Cuomo ignored the USS Comfort and the Javits center, which had been rebuild as a COVID hospice by the Army Corps of Engineers, and decided instead to go ahead and force nursing homes to take in recovering COVID patients.

We have a republic. Do you know what that is? Start with Amendment 10 to the Constitution: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT