ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Back to K-12 school......

Status
Not open for further replies.
The top 20 counties by number of deaths are all in our metro area, with the exception of Cook County, Ill and LA. The vast majority of these deaths occurred early in the pandemic. Deaths per day now is as low as it has ever been in the US. Also, blame all those deaths on Cuomo, Murphy, and Wolf. Governors and state assemblies run their states. It certainly wasn't the POTUS's fault that Cuomo ignored the USS Comfort and the Javits center, which had been rebuild as a COVID hospice by the Army Corps of Engineers, and decided instead to go ahead and force nursing homes to take in recovering COVID patients.

We have a republic. Do you know what that is? Start with Amendment 10 to the Constitution: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
Basically everything you just posted was false besides the counties with the highest death numbers. Get a clue.

Reactions: Kbee3
no, its a a very diverse cross section. If it's not about power and politics then what is it about? it sure isn't science. in NY most team sports are still not allowed. Yet, camps are. so you can't play soccer with your team but you can go to soccer camp. NJSIAA just released their rules. Captains practices can start this week as phase 1. Yet, those same sports if not associated with a school are phase 2. How does that work?
So what does that have to do with the month of November?

OK. Not judging either way. I think most (all?) of the teachers (or spouses) that post here are public. Just curious to hear a different experience/viewpoint.

Any way, welcome to the TKR Teacher's Spouse Support group...

I admire you for still fighting the good fight but there's no way you will change some people's minds. There are 5-6 people in this thread that have no clue what public education is truly like and just base their information on news articles and what their friends say on the street.

Valuable time is slipping away right now that could be spent training teachers to use technology more efficiently or simply acquiring technology through support from the federal government. Instead we have government leaders who are playing politics and living in denial of the actual realities of what's going on. The feds want schools to be safe supposedly but are doing nothing to help. They just want the problem to "go away".

I am in now way a hide in your home kind of guys either. I played my first softball games yesterday morning and took the family to eat outside at a local restaurant. It shouldn't be this hard to give the teachers the support to do their jobs effectively and safely. Instead, it's easier to spin the narrative to make them look bad or "scared".
What restaurant? Do you recommend?

Not true. I would be happy to pay the same amount of taxes if we gave parents the option to send their kids to the school of their choice (not just feed the low quality public monopoly).
I thought President Trump chose Betsy to improve the public school system??????!?!?

Reactions: Greg2020
OK. Not judging either way. I think most (all?) of the teachers (or spouses) that post here are public. Just curious to hear a different experience/viewpoint.

Any way, welcome to the TKR Teacher's Spouse Support group...
Unfortunately, Not hired yet.

No, most people think this is all BS. Those people bought in to a lockdown. They agreed with the “follow the science” mandate. However, they realize nobody wants to follow the science anymore. It’s not about science, it’s about power

You continue to be alarmingly wrong.

about which part exactly? that we are no longer "following the science" or that people are over it?

Essentially everything you've ever said on the topic of coronavirus, give or take the possibility of a rare decent post long ago washed away in a sea of insular ignorance. Generally speaking.

Not true. I would be happy to pay the same amount of taxes if we gave parents the option to send their kids to the school of their choice (not just feed the low quality public monopoly).

Nothing better than knowing you'll keep paying both!

Essentially everything you've ever said on the topic of coronavirus, give or take the possibility of a rare decent post long ago washed away in a sea of insular ignorance. Generally speaking.
so neither, because these decrees have nothing to do with science and people are over it

Obviously, my "everything" related to those nonstarter points.
sure. people are still cowering inside. That's why sports camps are sold out almost immediately right now. Can you explain the science to me regarding the NJSIAA rules?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I'm not going down a rabbit hole with you to prove a well establish fact of life backed up by numerous studies.

More like I caught you acting like a chicken little. Lol @ well established fact that there is such poverty in America. Christ almighty, get out a little bit.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Chimney Rock Inn in Flemington. Good food, lots of outdoor space. One of the kids has needed to switch to a Gluten Free diet and they had tons of options. It's literally 20 seconds past the Flemington Circle.

https://www.chimneyrockinn.com/
+1
We are long time customers of the Bridgewater location. They definitely have great gluten free options. We have done takeout via BW 3-4 times since the shutdown. I don't think they have that much open/outdoor space, so we will try the Flemington location soon!

Both in school or at home schooling is going to suck. Those advocating for back to school need to realize it is not going to be what it normally is.
  • Most models have kids staying in one room. Teachers moving room to room with as much social distancing as possible. Hate to be the kid in the first row with his face up on the white board for 8 hours daily. No group projects. No sitting in groups. Limited playing outside. Mask all day long.
  • Teaching has to be both in the classroom as well as online since you need an at home solution for kids with issues. Therefore, to accomplish this, all teaching is going to be likely done via electronically with built in multiple choice quizzes. Kids at home can take quizzes at the same time the kids in the class are doing so to enable proper assessment. The end result is that the kids sitting in the classroom are going to get the same type of teaching their parents complained about when it was online. Only now they will be sitting in the classroom for 8 hours getting it.

Both in school or at home schooling is going to suck. Those advocating for back to school need to realize it is not going to be what it normally is.
  • Most models have kids staying in one room. Teachers moving room to room with as much social distancing as possible. Hate to be the kid in the first row with his face up on the white board for 8 hours daily. No group projects. No sitting in groups. Limited playing outside. Mask all day long.
  • Teaching has to be both in the classroom as well as online since you need an at home solution for kids with issues. Therefore, to accomplish this, all teaching is going to be likely done via electronically with built in multiple choice quizzes. Kids at home can take quizzes at the same time the kids in the class are doing so to enable proper assessment. The end result is that the kids sitting in the classroom are going to get the same type of teaching their parents complained about when it was online. Only now they will be sitting in the classroom for 8 hours getting it.

Truth. Some schools are also talking about two rounds of half days to help spread numbers out.

Sounds hopeless the way you present it.

Sounds hopeless the way you present it.
I wouldn't say hopeless. Just presenting the facts based upon what is being shared as back to school plans in my wife's district. People often have opinions about what is best but overlook the details. After looking at the details, going back to school is not going to be that much better than staying at home. Gonna suck for the kids.

fz7g.gif
If your kids are stupid, it's your fault, not the schools'. Accept personal responsibility, and stop expecting the government to do everything for you and your family. Does that sound familiar?

Last edited:
For anyone on the 'send the kids/teachers back to the classroom' team, what are your thoughts on the proper response to when a child or teacher tests positive? Does everyone get sent home for the 2 week quarantine?

For anyone on the 'send the kids/teachers back to the classroom' team, what are your thoughts on the proper response to when a child or teacher tests positive? Does everyone get sent home for the 2 week quarantine?
I’ve been asking this to my colleagues as well. Our super sent out about 3 letters so far laying out different scenarios about scheduling and distancing rules . Not one word mentioned about this subject at the local state and federal level . Shocking isn’t it

Last edited:
From my wife’s school:

a. Employee and student temperatures will be taken daily. If an employee or student has a registered temperature of 100.4 or higher, he/she will be sent home immediately, and will not enter the building. Note: If a student registers a temperature as described above, his/her siblings must also be sent home. Employee/student may not return to work/school until he/she is fever free for 72 hours without medication and brings a clearance note from a physician if it is a suspected COVID-19 case. Temperatures will be re-checked upon return.

b. Upon daily arrival, employees will be asked if they are experiencing any of the symptoms on this list. If they are experiencing a fever and shortness of breath/difficulty breathing in addition to one other symptom on the following list, the employee will be asked to go home and quarantine for 14 days or until a doctor’s note is received clearing them to return to work. List of symptoms are:
i. Feeling feverish or having a temperature of 100.4 or higher
ii. Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
iii. Cough
iv. Chills
v. Muscle pain or body aches
vi. Headache
vii. Congestion or runny nose
viii. Sore throat
ix. Loss of taste or smell
x. Diarrhea
xi. Nausea or vomiting
Xii. Fatigue

c. If an employee or student has had close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19, he/she should remain home in quarantine for 14 days before returning to work/school.

Reactions: Jm0513 and Greg2020
From my wife’s school:

a. Employee and student temperatures will be taken daily. If an employee or student has a registered temperature of 100.4 or higher, he/she will be sent home immediately, and will not enter the building. Note: If a student registers a temperature as described above, his/her siblings must also be sent home. Employee/student may not return to work/school until he/she is fever free for 72 hours without medication and brings a clearance note from a physician if it is a suspected COVID-19 case. Temperatures will be re-checked upon return.

b. Upon daily arrival, employees will be asked if they are experiencing any of the symptoms on this list. If they are experiencing a fever and shortness of breath/difficulty breathing in addition to one other symptom on the following list, the employee will be asked to go home and quarantine for 14 days or until a doctor’s note is received clearing them to return to work. List of symptoms are:
i. Feeling feverish or having a temperature of 100.4 or higher
ii. Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
iii. Cough
iv. Chills
v. Muscle pain or body aches
vi. Headache
vii. Congestion or runny nose
viii. Sore throat
ix. Loss of taste or smell
x. Diarrhea
xi. Nausea or vomiting
Xii. Fatigue

c. If an employee or student has had close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19, he/she should remain home in quarantine for 14 days before returning to work/school.
This is going to be pretty standard at most schools . The problem is if the teacher is out for minimum 14 days who is stepping up to teach the classes ? Subs are short in a good year and I doubt substitutes will be knocking down the door to come in during a pandemic to teach for peanuts . This is going to be a major problem is multiple teachers are out at the same time

This is going to be pretty standard at most schools . The problem is if the teacher is out for minimum 14 days who is stepping up to teach the classes ? Subs are short in a good year and I doubt substitutes will be knocking down the door to come in during a pandemic to teach for peanuts . This is going to be a major problem is multiple teachers are out at the same time
And if the teacher or two has a temperature what do they do with the kids. Subs are not going to come on for 85 bucks or whatever it is

Reactions: RuBird and Greg2020
And if the teacher or two has a temperature what do they do with the kids. Subs are not going to come on for 85 bucks or whatever it is
Nope; the people that say the kids must go back to school keep repeating it , but have no idea or care not to discuss these issues . Not as easy as it sounds .

Nope; the people that say the kids must go back to school keep repeating it , but have no idea or care not to discuss these issues . Not as easy as it sounds .
My wife is in a school teaching 6-8 English. 2 classes per grade so every teacher teaches all 6 classes. If a few kids get sick they wipe out the entire middle school staff.

PreCovid our school, as well as many others, struggled to find competent subs. Pretty sure the pool of subs will only get worse now. There is talk that teachers are going to have to teach their students in school while at the same time monitoring students logging in from home. Can’t see subs signing up for this on top of their concern from getting sick.

PreCovid our school, as well as many others, struggled to find competent subs. Pretty sure the pool of subs will only get worse now. There is talk that teachers are going to have to teach their students in school while at the same time monitoring students logging in from home. Can’t see subs signing up for this on top of their concern from getting sick.
All of our lessons supposedly have to be live streamed for kids who won’t be there . No way subs are signing up this year unless they are giving them a huge raise (which they won’t) because of all the money school districts have lost and how much they are going to spend for all the new safeguards

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT