ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Cover

The Lumineers cover is at least creative, although the original by the Cure was our wedding song, so that will always be in my top 10 songs. Dinosaur Jr. also did a good cover. Rick Beato did a nice job deconstructing Just Like Heaven...

Certain songs are like an emotional, and very real, time machine. This is one of them. BAM - right back to being 18, lol. I hope I never lose that feeling.

When I saw Rick smiling at certain points of the song - you can tell he is tapping into that as well. I’m like…yup. Got the same smile, got the same vibe. And, for just fleeting of moments/minutes…we‘re kids again…

• Love
Reactions: RU848789 and Jm0513
The Lumineers cover is at least creative, although the original by the Cure was our wedding song, so that will always be in my top 10 songs. Dinosaur Jr. also did a good cover. Rick Beato did a nice job deconstructing Just Like Heaven...

I am a big fan of the Lumineers. They sound exactly the same live as they do on their albums.

Dinosaur Jr was on repeat in HS. A guy I dated (he looked like Kurt Cobain w/green hair) introduced me to them. I get nostalgic when I listen to their music. It reminds me of hanging in the park waiting for the skaterboarders to meet us. No phones to let us know, we just listened for the sound of the wheels. I’d love to go back to that time.. just for one day.

Reactions: mdh2003
"Do Ya" was on The Move's final album in 1972 where latest member Jeff Lynne did the song. The Move then evolved into the Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and in 1977, Jeff Lynne and ELO re-did the song. The Move's version is very raw. They upped their game for the ELO remake.

Not sure if this was posted… for some reason I can’t view all the pages….

I can’t listen to this and not get emotional.. lol

Reactions: Kbee3 and RutHut
4th Impact cover Simon and Garfunkel’s Bridge over Troubled Water:

loved this artist when she came out in 2000s...should have been a big star, had a hit with a song They Say Vision which was very Stevie Nicks sounding. A fews later she did a bunch of Fleetwood Mac covers. This one is great because its so radically different than the original. So funky. Usually artists who try to do Fleetwood Mac or Stevie play it really safe and it comes off bland. The part from 2:20 on is brilliant to the ears

dont know if i posted this before but this was sheer brilliance live. Cranberries did it for a Fleetwood Mac tribute album but Dolores doing it live in a radio station and know exactly how to hit it was amazing

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
dont know if i posted this before but this was sheer brilliance live. Cranberries did it for a Fleetwood Mac tribute album but Dolores doing it live in a radio station and know exactly how to hit it was amazing

I love her voice....but not on that tune.
I suggest instead Sinead O'Connor covering Peter Tosh's Downpressor Man or her awesome cover of Prince's Nothing Compares To You.

I like Harry’s version…

So does she..lol
olivia wilde emoticons GIF

He’s actually entertaining in concert..🤷‍♀️

So everyone knows I dont like much new music but what so great about the 60s through 90s is that you can start going deeper into the catalogue of your favorites some songs you never knew existed.

I always loved this song by Fleetwood Mac called Hypnotized which was pre Stevie/Lindsay era, sung and written by Bob Welch was a minor rock radio hit for them. Definitely was a nod of what was to come with Stevie/Lindsey. its an intoxicating song that puts you in a trance and apparently about UFOs

When Anita Pointer recently died at the start of the year I started going and listening to Pointer Sisters stuff and they did a lot of rock stuff in the 70s before finally settling on their sound. Their one album called Energy I think from 1978 was full of covers including the #2 hit Fire which was a cover of the Bruce song but I was shocked to find that they actually did a cover of Hypnotized and each one who has a distinctive voice sang lead on each of the 3 verses. Loving this and its so different from their 80s and I like even better than Fleetwood Mac version. Waddy Wachtel on guitar here too.

Regarding “Fire”, I actually don’t think it’s technically a cover.

Bruce WROTE it but did not release a version until after both Robert Gordon and the Pointer Sisters.
I’m

Reactions: bac2therac
One of the biggest hits the Irish band The Saw Doctors have had is a song called “N17” about an expat missing the famous road in western Ireland. Regardless of the subject matter it’s a rocker…

It was covered by the singer, Tolü Makay and the RTÉ Concert Orchestra on NYE (on a Zoom call no less) at the height of COVID in Ireland. The people in the video are all expats from around the world waiting to get back to Ireland after the travel restrictions were lifted…

This version came out when my father in law, who is of Irish descent like me, was dying from COVID. My wife’s sister and I “discovered” the band in the late 90’s at the first Guinness Fleadh on Randall’s Island in NYC. And this is the song they were playing when we walked into the tent. It’s a great cover IMO but also a tough listen for me at the same time. 🙁

Last edited:
Alison Krauss singing Graceland from Paul’s Gershwin Award concert is 👌

Additionally, this is a wonderful cover of Iron and Wine’s song Trapeze Swinger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513
For the Office Space fans, we know Michael Bolton sucks, but Katrina Velarde takes his song Go The Distance and proves why she is referred to as the Vocal Supreme:

Reactions: Jm0513
I love her voice....but not on that tune.
I suggest instead Sinead O'Connor covering Peter Tosh's Downpressor Man or her awesome cover of Prince's Nothing Compares To You.
And I have to mention Sinead's #1 masterpiece....not a cover though....off of her first album...Troy.
I guess the best word to decribe it is...breathtaking. Makes me smile every time I play it.

Sorry but this is the greatest cover of any song ever. The time that "The Bodyguard" was released Whitney was at the pinnacle of her career. A beautiful woman with maybe the most gifted voice ever. What a tragedy her life became.

I'm not sure how I missed this fun thread before. I don't have time to scroll through all 8 pages right now, so I'm not sure if this one's been posted already, but this is my favorite cover of all time, and it's not really close:

Didn't go through all the posts, but doubt this one was posted. Bruce Springsteen's cover of the Detroit Medley was awesome saw it live Nov. 14 1978 at the Utica Memorial Auditorium.

Original was by Mtich Ryder & the Detroit Wheels

Sorry but this is the greatest cover of any song ever. The time that "The Bodyguard" was released Whitney was at the pinnacle of her career. A beautiful woman with maybe the most gifted voice ever. What a tragedy her life became.
I liked Whitney Houston a lot. A very talented singer and very attractive. Her life did become a tragedy as it often does for mega pop stars. I was also a big fan of Amy Winehouse and she went down a similar tragic path at an even younger age. The problem is the absurd fame and the commercial pressure put on them by record labels, “friends” and hangers on. I think Whitney would have been better served singing ballads and gospel inspired music and Amy singing in small jazz clubs, I think they would have been much happier.

Reactions: okieKnight908
I liked Whitney Houston a lot. A very talented singer and very attractive. Her life did become a tragedy as it often does for mega pop stars. I was also a big fan of Amy Winehouse and she went down a similar tragic path at an even younger age. The problem is the absurd fame and the commercial pressure put on them by record labels, “friends” and hangers on. I think Whitney would have been better served singing ballads and gospel inspired music and Amy singing in small jazz clubs, I think they would have been much happier.
A friend of mine knew someone that knew Whitney growing up. She was way more a girl from the hood than her image was. People used to blame Bobby Brown for her downfall but it was more the reverse. Extremely talented, one of the greatest vocalists but was different than her image from what I heard.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Here is Jona covering Richard Harris/Donna Summer’s Macarthur’s Park live in concert:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT