ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Jersey Pizza

Village shopping center across from the Shop-Rite. Where the MooYah and UPS store are.

When it comes to pizza outside of the NJ... you are doomed. (besides NYC of course)

Your best shot at a good pizza is being lucky enough that some other person from NJ happen to have moved there as well and open a Pizza Parlor so you can get some real pizza.
As a lifelong Central Jersey guy (Vics and Rosie's for me please, with an occasional Pete & Elda's) now living in the PA Philly suburbs, there are a few good pizza places here as well.

Compared to the slop I've had in the South, Midwest, and West Coast, the pizza here is damned good. Compared to NJ/NY, the very best is only "pretty good."

Last edited:
top 2 for me

Zacharys....right next to Monmouth Park

Reactions: tico brown
Jimmy Tomatoes in Denville serves some unusual flavors of pizza, at least from my perspective. The Indian pizza like Tandoori Chicken (spicy hot) was very good. The "normal" pizza like plain, sausage, etc., is above average. Further, I'd note that this place has a converyor belt type oven like Dominoes might have, not a "real" pizza oven.

272442873_10158102019106326_4443153430946855860_n.jpg

Reactions: RutgersK1d
I went to my local pizzeria the other day and they were taking a Veggie Lovers pizza out of the oven. It really was a beautiful pizza.

Broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes. It looked like a pizza for an advertisement -very vibrant colors. My wife and I ordered it the other day-never had a veggie pizza before and it was very good.

• Love
Reactions: Jm0513
I went to my local pizzeria the other day and they were taking a Veggie Lovers pizza out of the oven. It really was a beautiful pizza.

Broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes. It looked like a pizza for an advertisement -very vibrant colors. My wife and I ordered it the other day-never had a veggie pizza before and it was very good.
I would totally love a Veggie lovers pizza. Just so long as it didn't have any: broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, olives, zucchini, or pretty much any other vegetable at all, except onions which are great on pizza.

Vegetables aren't food. They're what food eats. 😀

I usually would only add onions and mushrooms but the pizza was good.

The best part surprisingly were the chunks of tomato. I may try it next without the broccoli and peppers

The Portnoy dude seems to only taste-test plain pizza. I get that as it's an apples to apples comparison and good pizza is good without any additional toppings.

But I've found that I order differently depending on where I'm getting pizza. And where the plain pizza might be just okay at some places, certain toppings combos are incredibly good.

For example, Strawberry's Pub's best pizza is, IMO, the bacon cheddar, with the Mexican pizza coming in second. Whereas most pizza places don't make a very good Bacon Cheddar at all.

Sciortino's makes it's own ground sausage and it's great. My three staples there are the sausage and garlic, the meatball and onion, and all their white pizzas. Interesting note is that Portnoy taste-tested both places and didn't like Sciortino's in Perth Amboy (the new place) at all. And in fact it looks like he got a crappy pizza from them. A difference between the original in PA, and the new one (apparently) along with the South Amboy one, is the crust in the original one was way, way less floppy. He also spent more time talking about Strawberry's awful name than about the pizza.

Some places have tasty sausage, some have nasty tasting sausage. Some places make really tasty Sicilian pies. Some have good regular pizza, but bland Sicilian pies. Some have great onions and great pepperoni, others not so much.

Alphonso's in Somerville make an incredibly tasty plain pie. It's so good that I won't corrupt it by putting any other toppings on it. I'll order a pizza when ordering other stuff for dinner just because the pizza is so tasty there.

Anyway, Portnoy is kind of sampling the lowest common denominator pizza, which is plain cheese.

Reactions: bac2therac
Dominos in Cranford.
There was a place on Centenial Ave in Cranford, just past the railroad tracks coming into Cranford from the GSP called Calabria, I think. They had pretty good pizza and really excellent Sicilian pizza.

I mean, it's no Dominos, mind you. But if it's still there, and you like Sicilian pies, and it's the same guy running the place, give it a shot.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
The Portnoy dude seems to only taste-test plain pizza. I get that as it's an apples to apples comparison and good pizza is good without any additional toppings.

But I've found that I order differently depending on where I'm getting pizza. And where the plain pizza might be just okay at some places, certain toppings combos are incredibly good.

For example, Strawberry's Pub's best pizza is, IMO, the bacon cheddar, with the Mexican pizza coming in second. Whereas most pizza places don't make a very good Bacon Cheddar at all.

Sciortino's makes it's own ground sausage and it's great. My three staples there are the sausage and garlic, the meatball and onion, and all their white pizzas. Interesting note is that Portnoy taste-tested both places and didn't like Sciortino's in Perth Amboy (the new place) at all. And in fact it looks like he got a crappy pizza from them. A difference between the original in PA, and the new one (apparently) along with the South Amboy one, is the crust in the original one was way, way less floppy. He also spent more time talking about Strawberry's awful name than about the pizza.

Some places have tasty sausage, some have nasty tasting sausage. Some places make really tasty Sicilian pies. Some have good regular pizza, but bland Sicilian pies. Some have great onions and great pepperoni, others not so much.

Alphonso's in Somerville make an incredibly tasty plain pie. It's so good that I won't corrupt it by putting any other toppings on it. I'll order a pizza when ordering other stuff for dinner just because the pizza is so tasty there.

Anyway, Portnoy is kind of sampling the lowest common denominator pizza, which is plain cheese.
When I lived in Woodbridge I went to Strawberry’s all the time.
I am not someone that finds a significant difference in pizza’s beyond thin crust or regular etc. It is more about the social aspect of the group I am with that brings me to a place.

If anyone is interested, Sciortino's opened up a place on New Brunswick Ave ( near the hospital )
in Perth Amboy. I never went to the old Sciortino's in P.A. but was told by many people it was
outstanding.

Any pizza or bread using the water from the Newark Watershed will be superior unless other quality controls are lacking.
Water has nothing to do with ot, according to Scott of Scott’s Pizza Tours. It’s the makeup of the flour, often based on where it is milled.

Pizza Town USA is BY FAR the best in the state and constantly rated as such. route 46 elmwood park. place is essentially a shack but has the thinnest crust...also their zeppolis are phenomenal
We used to stop at Pizza Town on the way to Hot Grill

OK, a lot of food snobs here, as proven in the subs thread.

What is your go-to Jersey pizza joint?

I split a pie with a co-worker at M&S II in Rockaway yesterday, it was good and got me thinking of what is my favorite pizza place.

There are lots of good ones around the state but I'd have to go with Pizza Time on Route 35 in Avenel .
Mack’s on the Wildwood boardwalk

I was just there Sunday actually. Yes, still make a good pie. I still say the best in Woodbridge, with Pizza Time second. Saturday and Sunday plain pies at strawberry’s for $9.99. You can’t beat .
They still have the 2 slices and beer special for $5, which is a steal . Usually we finish our meal with one of those specials and take to go - the slices , the beer you gotta drink there.
Sadly Pizza Time in Woodbridge closed recently after about 43 years of quality pies , steak sandwiches you name it. After the owner ( Gino) passed away early in the pandemic , his main pizza guy Carlos moved to Florida and opened his own place. The owners brother kept it going but didn’t want the business and the hours.The corner property has been for sale now for awhile. Portnoy rated it a 9.2 the last I saw.

• Sad
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Sadly Pizza Time in Woodbridge closed recently after about 43 years of quality pies , steak sandwiches you name it. After the owner ( Gino) passed away early in the pandemic , his main pizza guy Carlos moved to Florida and opened his own place. The owners brother kept it going but didn’t want the business and the hours.The corner property has been for sale now for awhile. Portnoy rated it a 9.2 the last I saw.
Very sad to hear

There are so many great pizza places in New Jersey though Brooklyn NY , Manhattan and Long Island also have top rate pizza.

Based on his One Bite app, Pizza Time was a 6.8. That is a basic, everyday pizza.

Water has nothing to do with ot, according to Scott of Scott’s Pizza Tours. It’s the makeup of the flour, often based on where it is milled.
A lot of pizza makers swear it’s the water. Whatever it is, they don’t make it like our area!

Wow finally some common ground. Alfonsos is my go to and favorite pizza. There is something just different tgan everyone else. I think its the cheese. I almost always get the sausage so take a chance on it next time you go.

Reactions: mildone
Love --- Pete & Elda's, maybe best thin crust
Underrated Pizza - The Cabin in Freehold.. really good, and on Monday (or Tuesda) cheap as hell, but cannot take home.
Dying to try -- Razza, in Jersey city -- some publications saying one of best Pizza's in USA
Great Old school pizza - Pappa's & DiLorenzo's -- Robbinsville ---- great old fashion taste
*** let's face it... regular pizza joints in NJ (strip mall pies, on the corner, etc.) with their regular pies are better then most places in the whole country.

NJ is Pizza capital of USA.... (along with Diner)

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
Wow finally some common ground. Alfonsos is my go to and favorite pizza. There is something just different tgan everyone else. I think its the cheese. I almost always get the sausage so take a chance on it next time you go.
I'll give the sausage a try. I like that place in general. Nice to eat out front in the Spring and summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT