ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Jersey Pizza

Based on his One Bite app, Pizza Time was a 6.8. That is a basic, everyday pizza.
Saw this also however if you read all the section comments over several years prior until the pandemic I would guess they are mostly excellent reviews.. Portnoy came after the original owner ( Gino and prime pizza guy Carlos) and key employee were no longer there. Portnoy I believe said something about the brother ( John) being unfriendly or aloof .That was John hanging onto by past reputation.Woodbridge (has many Pizza places some better than others and 100k people) Portnoy unfortunately was there at a bad time.I like Strawberry’s Pub…D’Italia…Nancy’s in Rahway…Santillos…

New Jersey has top pizza overall but Brooklyn, Manhattan and Long Island have great Pizza as well. Chicago has outstanding pizza. Boston has some good pizza .Who doesn’t love pizza.

Water has nothing to do with ot, according to Scott of Scott’s Pizza Tours. It’s the makeup of the flour, often based on where it is milled.

Every ingredient matters.

Years ago I watched a show that did a blind taste test of pizzas made with water from different sources. Everything else was the same - the flour, the sauce, the same oven and cooking time, etc.

Every panelist chose the pizza made with NYC water as the best.

Every ingredient matters.

Years ago I watched a show that did a blind taste test of pizzas made with water from different sources. Everything else was the same - the flour, the sauce, the same oven and cooking time, etc.

Every panelist chose the pizza made with NYC water as the best.
Maybe

Maybe
NYC water wasn‘t one of the waters in that test.

Mineral content in the water affects the gluten in the dough. NYC has soft water.

There are factors other than the water that have greater impact on the dough, but the mineral content of the water can matter.

Reactions: The_Senator
Renato's Pizza Master
(201) 659-2232

Rizzo Bakery & Pizzeria
(201) 653-7248

Larry & Joe's Pizzeria
(201) 656-0073
I second Larry and Joe’s

NYC water wasn‘t one of the waters in that test.

Mineral content in the water affects the gluten in the dough. NYC has soft water.

There are factors other than the water that have greater impact on the dough, but the mineral content of the water can matter.
This was an NJ pizza post

I was in South Beach last week. Stoped in for quick slice. I ordered one plain slice to go. Girl behind the counter didn’t understand and sent the manager over. The manager asked if I didn’t want cheese on my slice. Frustrated, I ordered one cheese slice to go. She rung up my slice at $7.29. I explained I only wanted one. She said that was for one. I left….

I was in South Beach last week. Stoped in for quick slice. I ordered one plain slice to go. Girl behind the counter didn’t understand and sent the manager over. The manager asked if I didn’t want cheese on my slice. Frustrated, I ordered one cheese slice to go. She rung up my slice at $7.29. I explained I only wanted one. She said that was for one. I left….

Yeah, think "plain" pizza isn't a thing outside the Northeast. Have experienced the same.

"You mean just sauce on crust?"

No, that's not pizza. Pizza has cheese; you don't need to specify it.

Personal favorite is Santillos in Elizabeth. When I fly into EWR it is my 1st stop. Best Sicilian pie ever IMO. Al Santillo makes it nice and crispy.
Love the oven, love the way he makes the pie well done but not a fan of his sauce at all. Even tried it twice.

When I'm in that area all go Pizza Town, Brunos for a Sicilian (in my opinion the best in the state), then rutt's hut for a dog.
You have my props. Grew up in Lyndhurst and Steve (Bruno’s) was originally from Brooklyn which is why the cheese goes on first. No doubt the best Sicilian around . Pizza town was good as well. Can’t go wrong with a late night Ruts hut!

Reactions: gregkoko and Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT