ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

A 600 km WLTP range is approximately 292 miles.
Degradation of current lithium ion cells with a liquid electrolyte is between 5-10% over the life of the pack, assuming proper battery care.

Solid state batteries are more stable and less likely to encounter thermal runaway. Is thermal runaway really an issue unless you're GM?

What QS has sounds great nonetheless, however, their business comes down to cost and scale. Prototypes are easy, profitable volume production is insanely difficult. There's a reason solid state batteries have been "talked about" for decades.
With VW as a partner I don’t think scaling up will be an issue.

Agree. The notion of "looking for chargers" is absurd. I have to presume he's lying.
The mere fact that you have to plan a trip around charging destinations, even if done by Tesla for you, is an inconvenience. Do you think I made up the concept of “range anxiety” which is one of the top reasons consumers don’t buy EVs. Whether it’s ultimately fear mongering or not, it’s a legit concern given the pathetic state of charging infrastructure affairs. Gas stations are everywhere. Charging stations are not. I will absolutely go EV at some point but for now hybrid make the most sense to me.

The mere fact that you have to plan a trip around charging destinations, even if done by Tesla for you, is an inconvenience. Do you think I made up the concept of “range anxiety” which is one of the top reasons consumers don’t buy EVs. Whether it’s ultimately fear mongering or not, it’s a legit concern given the pathetic state of charging infrastructure affairs. Gas stations are everywhere. Charging stations are not. I will absolutely go EV at some point but for now hybrid make the most sense to me.
Spending 20 seconds to add a destination is an inconvenience? Tesla finds the best route, avoids traffic, and adds charging stations if needed. There's not much planning involved. With that said, I live in Southern California where the Tesla charging infrastructure is vast so my experience may be different than some.

Spending 20 seconds to add a destination is an inconvenience? Tesla finds the best route, avoids traffic, and adds charging stations if needed. There's not much planning involved. With that said, I live in Southern California where the Tesla charging infrastructure is vast so my experience may be different than some.
I’ve lived in San Diego County for 7 months now. Three of them without charger. I have to say, and it may because I knew my way around better, but the two months I spent in NJ without a home charger were even easier. Every new Wawa and QuickChek in NJ have Tesla charging stations now it seems.

Spending 20 seconds to add a destination is an inconvenience? Tesla finds the best route, avoids traffic, and adds charging stations if needed.
Dude, you just made my point. You are being routed based on charging stations not to mention charging takes way longer than the 5 minutes to fill my gas tank. Even a supercharger is probably 20+ minutes? Why do you think Wawa wants people charging up - because EV owners spend more time at chargers = usually spend more money on store items.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
1000% agree. Anyone that argues charging is just as easy as hitting the gas station on almost every corner needs to charge their brain.
Macaulay Culkin Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

1000% agree. Anyone that argues charging is just as easy as hitting the gas station on almost every corner needs to charge their brain.
Likewise though, I’d like someone with an ICE car to let me know when they could wake up any morning they chose with “a full tank” because their car filled it’s gas tank overnight at home while they slept.
YES!…I’m fully aware that’s not an option for folks in condos and apartments but it is for many here but almost never discussed or accounted for in the EV purchase calculus argument by debaters here.
To be honest, the only stops I’ve made at superchargers with my Model 3 over the past 2 years have been to use free miles I got from folks buying a Tesla with my referral code that has totaled 15,000 over the 77k mile, essentially maintenance free, lifetime of my car. Add that convenience to the free destination charging I’ve also gotten, I’ve only seen my electric bill increase $25 per month on average over the lifetime of my car which accounts for 1100 miles of driving per month.
Any ICE or hybrid drivers out there ever been offered free gasoline like I have been given free electricity as fuel? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: thegock
Likewise though, I’d like someone with an ICE car to let me know when they could wake up any morning they chose with “a full tank” because their car filled it’s gas tank overnight at home while they slept.
It’s a great point especially for folks that drive a lot and are constantly filling up their tanks. I still prefer hybrids as you get the best of both worlds but can definitely see myself going full-blown EVs in my house in the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
It’s a great point especially for folks that drive a lot and are constantly filling up their tanks. I still prefer hybrids as you get the best of both worlds but can definitely see myself going full-blown EVs in my house in the next 3-5 years.
That's a point I guess, but probably a very small minority of drivers. What types of drivers are constantly filling up their tanks more than once on a daily basis? I have yet to stop anywhere to fill up my F150 Lightnimg. I charge at home and at work. Many places of employment have banks of chargers for EVs. How many places have gas pumps?

One thing @LBusDoor90 left out is ICE drivers who keep their cars in their garage cannot warm up their vehicles in the garage and have a toasty warm cabin before they leave.

I have saved many hours and easily several thousand dollars in a year from not having to stop at gas stations to fill up. So much winning, but keep casting stones if you wish.

That's a point I guess, but probably a very small minority of drivers. What types of drivers are constantly filling up their tanks more than once on a daily basis? I have yet to stop anywhere to fill up my F150 Lightnimg. I charge at home and at work. Many places of employment have banks of chargers for EVs. How many places have gas pumps?

One thing @LBusDoor90 left out is ICE drivers who keep their cars in their garage cannot warm up their vehicles in the garage and have a toasty warm cabin before they leave.

I have saved many hours and easily several thousand dollars in a year from not having to stop at gas stations to fill up. So much winning, but keep casting stones if you wish.
Until you have to replace that battery. We haven't yet found a system that gives us a zero carbon imprint correct? Still need fossil fuels to power the electricity for charging stations. I wonder why with so much better technology we haven't started reinvesting in Nuclear power plants again. Without this and better batteries, the EV experiment will die on the vine.

Until you have to replace that battery. We haven't yet found a system that gives us a zero carbon imprint correct? Still need fossil fuels to power the electricity for charging stations. I wonder why with so much better technology we haven't started reinvesting in Nuclear power plants again. Without this and better batteries, the EV experiment will die on the vine.
Heard something on this the other day, and we are starting to see the initial stages of nuclear reinvestment.

Price of uranium certainly suggests we are turning, to some extent, back towards nuclear.

Might be some very fwd thinking towards fusion as well.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Umm, we were talking about "fueling" up EVs vs. ICE vehicles.

Nobody EVER said EVs provide ZERO carbon imprint. Nobody. Ever. Never.
Winning was in reference to never have to go to a gas station ever again. Also, visits for service are a rarity. No oil change or other types of maintenance needed compared to ICE vehicles.

The infrastructure is not there yet, but there are many ways to power charging banks--solar, wind, hydroelectric, as well as fossil fuel-based energy. I have advocated for nuclear power in multiple other threads as a more viable alternative to wind turbine off the beaches.

Technology evolves. There will be continuous improvement, or perhaps something else will supplant EVs, such as hydrogen power (not likely soon, but perhaps).

Some people, however, fail to ever evolve in their thinking. They want to cast stones and stay rooted in the past and scream get off my lawn.

moving-goalposts.gif

Reactions: LBusDoor90
YES!…I’m fully aware that’s not an option for folks in condos and apartments but it is for many here but almost never discussed or accounted for in the EV purchase calculus argument by debaters here.
To be honest, the only stops I’ve made at superchargers with my Model 3 over the past 2 years have been to use free miles I got from folks buying a Tesla with my referral code that has totaled 15,000 over the 77k mile, essentially maintenance free, lifetime of my car. Add that convenience to the free destination charging I’ve also gotten, I’ve only seen my electric bill increase $25 per month on average over the lifetime of my car which accounts for 1100 miles of driving per month.
Any ICE or hybrid drivers out there ever been offered free gasoline like I have been given free electricity as fuel? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well said. It’s obviously based on each person’s circumstances. I have solar so I drive for free. I’ve spent a total of 8 minutes at a charger in 5 months. Obviously that’s much better than having to fill up at a gas station. Everyone can make their own decisions, the painting in broad brush strokes is useless.

Didn’t realize that charging speed is slow between 0-20%.
The article, assuming it has it's facts straight, is actually pretty informative for a Jalopnik article. At least once you get past the clickbait headline.

The article, assuming it has its facts straight, is actually pretty informative for a Jalopnik article. At least once you get past the clickbait headline.
I’m almost certain that’s not right. The charging curve is steep until you hit 80%. Will look up some articles.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Contrary to the Tesla lover's narrative, Ford did OK. Time will tell how well they do in EVs. But the customers want what the customers want, and there is money to be made on ICE vehicles, like it or not.

Perfect description...OK
IMO, Ford was at a crossroads, and they just showed their hand.
Continue to pour R&D $$$ into EVs to produce the most compelling vehicles.
OR
Milk the ICE business until the end, then license Tesla's tech to build EVs.

The executives that run legacy auto probably don't see their careers lasting until the EV/ICE tipping point, so why lose $ for shareholders and their retirement packages in the meantime. Wait for the next auto bailout and/or let the next CEO inherit the EV problem.

New Tesla Model 3 now available for order in the US:

Perhaps it's an optical illusion, but that license plate frame doesn't seem centered properly, a bit off to the left, unless maybe it's the TESLA badge that's off to the right. It also seems horizontally off-kilter a bit, with the bottom-right corner seemingly higher than the bottom-left corner.

They are not really the same company, but still an impressive showing by Hyundai-Kia:

Some dispute as to who is actually #2 or #3, as GM apparently sold a lot of Volts in 2023.

"Meanwhile, GM sold around 72,639 EVs in 2023, with the Chevy Bolt accounting for over 85%. GM ended production of the affordable electric car as it ramps up output of its Ultium models including the Blazer EV. A new Bolt is expected to be revealed next year."

They are not really the same company, but still an impressive showing by Hyundai-Kia:

Some dispute as to who is actually #2 or #3, as GM apparently sold a lot of Volts in 2023.

"Meanwhile, GM sold around 72,639 EVs in 2023, with the Chevy Bolt accounting for over 85%. GM ended production of the affordable electric car as it ramps up output of its Ultium models including the Blazer EV. A new Bolt is expected to be revealed next year."

How are they not the same company?

The China factory is for pack assembly, not cells.
Manufacturing battery cells is going to be a monumental challenge.
Do we think VW is going to straight up fail in their attempts to make batteries?

Everyone is making batteries these days. It’s not some great mystery.

Hertz selling 1/3 of their EV’s. Going to replace them with ICE.

Only 20k cars, probably mostly Y’s? Wonder if that is concentrated in CA? Or perhaps the opposite?

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Do we think VW is going to straight up fail in their attempts to make batteries?

Everyone is making batteries these days. It’s not some great mystery.
Maybe sit this one out.
BYD and Tesla are the only auto manufacturers making their own cells, and Tesla outsourcing a majority of their supply (>90%)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT