ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FDA Calls For Halt On J&J Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
when did he sign up? as i mentioned before, i signed up right when the site opened...probably within the first hour of launching. it worked for me, but i don't think it worked well for too many others that didn't sign up immediately.
I too used the state signup early on after it first launched. So did 3 other couples that we’re friends with. We all were quickly assigned to a phase and we all started getting those “hang on, not yet” emails from the state. One day about 6 weeks ago that turned into “you can schedule now” so we did so at Rowan....smooth & easy process.

I recognize that our experience may have been better given how close to the site’s launch that we all registered. And I recognize that others who registered later have been getting the run around. So it’s not perfect (not by a long shot), but also not a complete and utter failure — worked just fine for me (and everyone else I know who registered at that same time).

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
when did he sign up? as i mentioned before, i signed up right when the site opened...probably within the first hour of launching. it worked for me, but i don't think it worked well for too many others that didn't sign up immediately.
Forget when, but we still get e-mails telling us he is on the list.

QUESTION: If you are required to take an experimental vaccine by your university, should the university be held liable if you develop complications by taking the vaccine?

I imagine only if you are forced or coerced. I think your case would be weakened as you still have the option of attending virtually instead of taking the vaccine and attending live. Further, when you are administered the vaccine you are specifically asked to acknowledge that it is experimental - I imagine that this would weaken the case further.

121,000,000 have received at least a 1st dose of vaccines in the US, 3,700,000 in NJ alone.

A year in and the US is still averaging 600 deaths a day.

It's a personal choice but the math is hard to argue with.
It kinda matters who make up those 600 deaths. Healthy people aren't dying in any significant numbers.

Can only go by our personal experience with the NJ State site. 7 weeks post registering received initial vaccine shot of Pfizer. Based upon groups 1B we were where we felt was reasonable. It was the misinformation initially put out by various groups, state , local and the usual suspect NJ.com . Remembering the first day of sign ups and within 15 minutes or less no appointments , no vaccine. One thing I will say the Mega site was well run and organized. To those not getting the vaccine please don’t complain down the road. We are good with those NOT getting it : no animus . Just realize with everything in life all things carry some risk.

Can only go by our personal experience with the NJ State site. 7 weeks post registering received initial vaccine shot of Pfizer. Based upon groups 1B we were where we felt was reasonable. It was the misinformation initially put out by various groups, state , local and the usual suspect NJ.com . Remembering the first day of sign ups and within 15 minutes or less no appointments , no vaccine. One thing I will say the Mega site was well run and organized. To those not getting the vaccine please don’t complain down the road. We are good with those NOT getting it : no animus . Just realize with everything in life all things carry some risk.
including the risk of being excluded from places and events because of their choice to not be vaccinated...

The long term efficacy of vaccine programs is derived from community protection driving off the virus, not individual level protection. So by getting it, you’re protecting yourself, but even if your risk for complication is low, you’re also helping to establish protection for those at higher risk.

Just trying to nudge your calculus! As a society we don’t talk about this enough. Health departments should have started a “let’s get to 66.7% vaccinated!” campaign with 66.7 stickers and so forth when the vax rolled out.
Truthfully there needs to be a huge public health campaign about exercise and cutting sugar. Just a simple message about 2 things to ensure its not over complicated. That exercise could even be just going on a 1 hour walk daily.

I was already in pretty good shape this time last year but over the past year I decided to put together a strict plan of

-meal prep
-cut added sugars
-drink a gallon of water daily
-walk 10 miles a day
-exercising in my home 5-6 times a week for 50 minutes each session

I went from 13% body fat to 8% body fat and im now 5’9 162 and I was previously 5’9 176

if someone like me could lose additional weight, the obese crowd can too

But their issues don't mean they'd pass today, next month, or next year.

As a matter of fact I find this continuing argument rather callous.
I can understand someone who is young and healthy not running to go get vaccinated. They don't need to be. That is my point.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Kyk, I walk and hike far more than the average person, but very few people have the time to walk 10 miles a day. Not to mention the wear and tear in their feet, ankles, and knees (unless you walk on a spongy track at a high school). That is A LOT of walking. But good for you. Keep it up. One of the good side effects of the whole corona year has been the HUUUGE increase in people being outdoors. I see so many more people walking, hiking, bicycling , etc. So many more people are out fishing—great to see so many more kids with their Dads (and sometimes Moms) at the lakes and ocean fishing. Fishing and hunting licenses have gone through the roof, as have bicycle sales.

Kyk, I walk and hike far more than the average person, but very few people have the time to walk 10 miles a day. Not to mention the wear and tear in their feet, ankles, and knees (unless you walk on a spongy track at a high school). That is A LOT of walking. But good for you. Keep it up. One of the good side effects of the whole corona year has been the HUUUGE increase in people being outdoors. I see so many more people walking, hiking, bicycling , etc. So many more people are out fishing—great to see so many more kids with their Dads (and sometimes Moms) at the lakes and ocean fishing. Fishing and hunting licenses have gone through the roof, as have bicycle sales.
Outdoors has gotten too damn crowded ...those people need to get back on the couch and in the office, ASAP 😜

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
^^^ makes no sense. The state had zero involvement with vaccine development. Thankfully!
Makes total sense. We can’t trust the government. We can’t trust private companies that develop medications and vaccines. We must all become naturopaths.

• Haha
Reactions: T2Kplus20
Whoops!! The had a manufacturing plant shut down for contamination problems before. Looks like this current issue is related to blood clotting.

Edit: Don't mean to correlate the two. I had two different thoughts and hastily put them on the same post.
I don't believe the Baltimore plant has been approved for production and distribution by FDA so, if true, would not be a cause.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Truthfully there needs to be a huge public health campaign about exercise and cutting sugar. Just a simple message about 2 things to ensure its not over complicated. That exercise could even be just going on a 1 hour walk daily.

I was already in pretty good shape this time last year but over the past year I decided to put together a strict plan of

-meal prep
-cut added sugars
-walk 10 miles a day

I went from 13% body fat to 8% body fat and im now 5’9 162 and I was previously 5’9 176

I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but I agree with you here. However, people's results will vary.
It's not just sugars, it is all of the crap, highly processed foods, including chips, bread, and other bad carbs that do a lot of people in. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. While some pinhead will chime in and disagree, for insulin-resistant people, it is not as simple as calories-in-calories out. Sure, calories matter, but for people who are insulin-resistant, eating bad carbs, highly processed food, and food that contain the "hateful eight" oils trigger a vicious cycle of hunger and over-eating.
The carnivore diet has been a huge blessing for many insulin dependent people. Oddly, however, know-it-all Bill Gates is on a mission to eliminate meat from richer countries in favor of artificial, plant-based meat, which is full of all sorts of garbage. Just look at Bill Gates--does he look like the picture of health? The guy should stay in his lane of selling buggy, virus-laden crappy software.

It has happened in the past with a flu vaccine called Pandemrix (not so coincidentally also approved in a rush during the 2009 flu outbreak). There was a higher incidence of narcolepsy diagnoses among people in the countries that took this vaccine versus people who took a different one. It was only ten years later that a researcher studying narcolepsy found the link that the antibodies created by this vaccine also attacked a substance in the portion of the brain that controls wakefulness.
😴

I walk during all my business calls, thats how ive made it work. So about 2 hours a day, I walk while on calls. I refuse to do zoom calls for this reason haha.

i also hike alot as well. Then at night I walk about 60-90 minutes while listening to books, podcasts and cruising this site. I dont have kids which makes it easy.

getting an apple watch helped me stay accountable as it tracks it. It’s 2pm right now and I’m already at 6 miles walked. Since I pack my lunch on my hour lunch break I spend 5 minutes eating and 55 walking

Reactions: Jm0513
I just got the JNJ vaccine last thursday. Am I worried. NO. Should this vaccine be stopped no, 6 cases out of over six million doses given. Seriously those in the FDA needs to have their heads examined.
So, IYO, the FDA's and CDC's brains are MIA about J&J?

Yeah, yeah, I know: "J&J" doesn't count as a three letter acronym. I'm claiming poetic license.

What we're seeing here is science in real-time. This is all standard procedure. The FDA and CDC have recommended a pause in the J&J vaccines "out of an abundance of caution". Once it's investigated, there's a very good chance that the clotting issues experienced by these women will have nothing to do with the vaccine.

The State signup site was worthless for everyone I knew who signed up My son, who is a first responder, was waiting for months. We went to the Atlantic City site (same day signup) and were done.
My parents, older sister, and daughter (interning at physical therapist facility while getting PT PhD) used the state signup site and it worked pretty smoothly for them. Most friends whom I've discussed this with (about a half dozen or so) who used that state registration and state-provided appointments appear to have had good experiences, too. My youngest (also a first responder) got his vaccine very early on through work, which doesn't count - but I'm surprised your son didn't get his through work as well.

Given the contrast between what we've heard, I'd guess that everybody's anecdotal experiences are not necessarily reflective of overall performance. As usual. 😀

Reactions: Greg2020
6 cases on 6.8 million doses.
If those clots were caused by the vaccine.. do you really think 6 will be all there is?

C'mon.. the FDA halted it for a reason. Anyone who brings this up is just saying due caution is waranted.

Its an easy choice if you are of a certain age or compromised in any way. Not such an easy choice if your healthy 18 year old is being forced by Rutgers to get that vaccine when they would most likely at worst get the sniffles if they got covid.
well my close friend just buried her mom a week ago because the niece came home from college (unknowingly being covid positive) and visited her mom who caught it from her then was hospitalized and succumbed to it. So sometimes its not just about the kid in college.

The J&J vaccine was not a new technology.
while denigrating trump's claim about a vaccine timetable, EVERYONE told us that there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus.. and pointed out they worked for years on a Sars2 vaccine (which is also a coronavirus) and failed to produce one... then abandoned the work when SARS2 disappeared.

So, yeah, these vaccines are NEW even if the techniques and technology are not.

It's a risk I accept for the ability to get around. There is a big benefit to getting in a car. If I am not concerned about the risk of Covid, then my RBA will be different from yours.

I'll take it in a slightly different direction -

There were roughly ~2000 Deaths out of ~5.4 million cases in the US ages 18-29 : 0.04%
There was 1 death out of ~7 million J&J vaccine doses : 0.00001%

Reactions: RURM85
It is too crowded, nobody goes there anymore lol
hqdefault.jpg

Of course — but covid presents material risk for a pretty large and economically important subset of our society (i bring up the cold economic part to imply we can’t just ask them to hide away for their own safety until this mutates into something safe without incurring harm to society broadly)
But haven't we been doing exactly that?

I will be watching what goes on with the Novavax vaccine closely. Unlike the already approved in the US vaccines, it can be considered closer to how traditional vaccines work. It may be conditionally approved in the next 30-60 days.

While it doesn’t use a full “dead” or inactivated virus to provoke an immune response like people are used to with other vaccines, it gives the recipients the actual virus spike proteins to do so (which are only part of the virus so can’t make you sick) as opposed to the Pfizer, Moderna, J&J and Astra Zeneca vaccines which use various other mechanisms to create the immune response and theoretically are more at risk of causing unwanted immunological responses.

I was told J&J used traditional tech, no? I didn't look too close because I'm not in the market but the internet seems to say it's traditional tech.

QUESTION: If you are required to take an experimental vaccine by your university, should the university be held liable if you develop complications by taking the vaccine?

If not you need to rethink your "education" choices.

^^^ makes no sense. The state had zero involvement with vaccine development. Thankfully!

The "State" and its politicians had everything to do with it short of mixing test tubes. The drove the timeframe, "approval", cancelling liability, encouraging use, money money money, Fauci and his "experts" driving the narrative, laws and policy. All of these issues had an effect on the decisions made during the vaccine development. And none of those encouraged caution and safety.

Reactions: bac2therac

-meal prep
-cut added sugars
-walk 10 miles a day

Government food guidelines are terrible.

I was told J&J used traditional tech, no? I didn't look too close because I'm not in the market but the internet seems to say it's traditional tech.
Not really "traditional tech." This ain't software or hardware!

I had posted this before, but this is one of the best descriptions I have read:

The genetic material in the mRNA vaccines is RNA, whereas the genetic material in the J&J vaccine is DNA, but both encode the information to make the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2.

“Inside the adenovirus is the DNA that your body will use to make into RNA and then into the spike protein of the coronavirus,” said Gandhi. She noted that the DNA and RNA then quickly degrade in the human body and do not have the ability to affect our chromosomes.

Once your cells make the spike protein, all three vaccines work similarly. “The spike protein doesn’t look like anything in our human body,” said Gandhi. “So, you raise an immune response with T cells and antibodies to that spike protein, and that allows you to fight the virus if you ever see it in the future.”

This type of adenovirus technology has been used in an Ebola vaccine but is still relatively new. “It’s more familiar than mRNA technology, but I wouldn’t say it is the most familiar technology either,” said Gandhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT