ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Global Entry interview…what to expect/bring?

e5fdny

Legend
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2002
A while back I asked about this on here and decided to go ahead with it for my Wife and I.

The interview at Newark Liberty is this Sunday night.

Was wondering who went thru it at Newark, how long did it take and what did they ask to see documentation-wise?

Thanks in advance.🙂

A while back I asked about this on here and decided to go ahead with it for my Wife and I.

Was wondering who went thru it at Newark, how long did it take and what did they ask to see documentation-wise?

Thanks in advance.🙂
Very easy and quick. I can't remember what docs were needed but it felt like a crossing ts/dotting i's formality thing not an actual interview at all.

Thanks in advance.🙂
Go on their website and check. I rememberEd when I did it, half the people forgot the same thing. It’s been too long so I don’t recall what it was.

Thanks in advance.🙂
I had an interview scheduled but decided coming back from abroad to do the interview on the spot after going through customs.

I didn't have anything on me besides my passport and drivers license. They just ask you simple stuff like about your job, where you live etc...I don't really remember much but it wasn't a microscopic check of your life or anything. It probably took about 10-15 mins max, waiting on line took probably about 20-30 mins because it's a spur of the moment thing and there were others in front of me.

Just got it done at EWR terminal B. Sat in the little waiting area that‘s set up and they called us at the exact time of our appointment. In and out in 10 minutes. Need to bring passport. They ask a couple questions that were on the application you filled out and then tair your picture and finger print you. That was it.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Others have already given you what you need. Easiest thing you’ll do. Bring your passport and answer a couple simple questions. It’s just a formality.

Go on their website and check. I rememberEd when I did it, half the people forgot the same thing. It’s been too long so I don’t recall what it was.
I took a peek a while ago.

And they did say what you needed. Will double check to make sure I don’t forget whatever everybody else did.

Just was trying to see who on here actually went through it.

I took a peek a while ago.

And they did say what you needed. Will double check to make sure I don’t forget whatever everybody else did.

Just was trying to see who on here actually went through it.
It was a long time ago. I actually just completed my online application for renewal.

It was a long time ago. I actually just completed my online application for renewal.
I've heard rumors that the renewal can be done entirely online w/o an interview, perhaps on a random basis. I'm about a year away from needing to renew. Let us know how that goes.

OP - make sure you pay with a credit card that reimburses you for the charge. There are tons available for at least a Precheck cost reimbursement, so you'll get back most from that. Some will reimburse for the full GE charge.

If you travel internationally even only once in 5 years, and domestically somewhat often, it is incredibly worth it considering pre-check is included. I've saved tons of wait time and only flown internationally 4 times with it. Exiting EWR has never taken more than 2 minutes through customs since I got it.

I've heard rumors that the renewal can be done entirely online w/o an interview, perhaps on a random basis. I'm about a year away from needing to renew. Let us know how that goes.

OP - make sure you pay with a credit card that reimburses you for the charge. There are tons available for at least a Precheck cost reimbursement, so you'll get back most from that. Some will reimburse for the full GE charge.

If you travel internationally even only once in 5 years, and domestically somewhat often, it is incredibly worth it considering pre-check is included. I've saved tons of wait time and only flown internationally 4 times with it. Exiting EWR has never taken more than 2 minutes through customs since I got it.
I renewed Global Entry online last year…no need for interview. Incredibly simple, all was done/approved within less than 24 hours.

• Love
Reactions: hrdcorhays

I heard about this on tMB but I don't think any of our cards offer this. Will ask though just in case.

Initial interview was quick and easy, made my appointment for just after an arrival from Costa Rica in EWR. They know ALL of your history so don't 'deny' or 'forget' anything. Other than that it was a breeze.

A lot of cards offer TSA Pre but GE is excluded
I think most will reimburse "up to" Precheck cost, so you get $85 instead of $135, or whatever the numbers are now. I haven't done this in 4 years though.

@e5fdny if you fly United even once a year, get their Mileage Plus explorer card. Free checked bag alone RT will basically cover the yearly fee. They'll be a decent mile bonus for signing up and spending like 3K in 3 months usually. You'll also get two one time Lounge passes per year, which are sorta useless at EWR because they often don't accept day passes. But nice to have if you ever have a long layover elsewhere. However, the new club at EWR is actually very nice and worth a visit if you can get in.

I think most will reimburse "up to" Precheck cost, so you get $85 instead of $135, or whatever the numbers are now. I haven't done this in 4 years though.

@e5fdny if you fly United even once a year, get their Mileage Plus explorer card. Free checked bag alone RT will basically cover the yearly fee. They'll be a decent mile bonus for signing up and spending like 3K in 3 months usually. You'll also get two one time Lounge passes per year, which are sorta useless at EWR because they often don't accept day passes. But nice to have if you ever have a long layover elsewhere. However, the new club at EWR is actually very nice and worth a visit if you can get in.
Or get the Infinite card. High fee (500 ish) but two 'free' checked bags and 'free' United club membership. Like anything depends on how often you fly and what you value.

Thanks in advance.🙂

Just passport and DL. Was in and out so quick that I didn't have to pay parking. They took me right at my appointment time. Only questions were last country I went to and had I been to Canada or Mexico in the last 5 years (for some reason those 2 were specifically excluded on the online survey).

Is Global Entry better than TSA pre-check or are both necessary to move things along while traveling?

They called me this afternoon and asked if we wanted to come in early.

Original appointment was for 10:45pm tonight. So naturally said…sure.

Get there, parked, sat in the designated area (“NO STANDING!” - lol) for a few minutes, got called in, a few questions, pictures (jacket and tie - like on my Passport), fingerprints. Done. Maybe 5 minutes?

After he saw my ID the guy told me he wanted to a NYC fireman. 🙂

Initial interview was quick and easy, made my appointment for just after an arrival from Costa Rica in EWR. They know ALL of your history so don't 'deny' or 'forget' anything. Other than that it was a breeze.
Yes they do. Yes they do.

I’ll leave it at that. LOL

Reactions: RUpop

Get there, parked, sat in the designated area (“NO STANDING!” - lol) for a few minutes, got called in, a few questions, pictures (jacket and tie - like on my Passport), fingerprints. Done. Maybe 5 minutes?

He wanted to what?

Left some real room for interpretation there 😜

Jacket and tie? Do you wear that for your drivers license picture too?

Jacket and tie? Do you wear that for your drivers license picture too?
When I am up for renewal the next time, I just might.🙂

Years ago they used to let you wear a hat and my head in the picture ended up looking lopsided because the hat was crooked.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT