ADVERTISEMENT

OT: hats off for Rutgers professor of microbiology Richard Ebright.

Once again, skinny doesn’t know the rules.
Actually, what rule did he violate?

He raised a controversial subject, sure. And it's about senate hearings which are held by politicians. And such hearings are almost always pointless exercises in shameless vote-grabbing by Senators from both sides of the aisle.

But, IMO, it's not exactly political because, while the senators are being political 'cause it's their job, nobody here is forced to be engage in partisanship about the topic. People can (and should be able to) discuss such theories without resorting to partisanship.

He raised a controversial subject, sure. And it's about senate hearings which are held by politicians. And such hearings are almost always pointless exercises in shameless vote-grabbing by Senators from both sides of the aisle.

But, IMO, it's not exactly political because, while the senators are being political 'cause it's their job, nobody here is forced to be engage in partisanship about the topic. People can (and should be able to) discuss such theories without resorting to partisanship.

Thought we didn’t the Covid/vaccine stuff in here.

• Haha
Reactions: Luvscarletknights

But, IMO, it's not exactly political because nobody here is forced to be engage in partisanship about the topic. People can (and should be able to) to discuss such theories without resorting to partisanship.
Like that's going to happen 😆. That's why I don't play in the CE cesspool even if the topic is like this, where it can stay all about the RU professor but it won't and be moved.

Thought we didn’t the Covid/vaccine stuff in here.
You could be right. I've seen a bunch at times, but maybe it always get moved over to the CE board.

Anyway, I like when people post their conspiracy theories 'cause then the rest of us can have fun messing with them over it. That was pretty much the only reason I ever participated in the CE board. Because who doesn't love a good game of taunt the extremists? 😀

• Haha
Reactions: RUDiddy777
You could be right. I've seen a bunch at times, but maybe it always get moved over to the CE board.

Anyway, I like when people post their conspiracy theories 'cause then the rest of us can have fun messing with them over it. That was pretty much the only reason I ever participated in the CE board. Because who doesn't love a good game of taunt the extremists? 😀
Well, then you’ll have fun with this one, since this guy’s theory was brought up months ago on this board.

Like that's going to happen 😆. That's why I don't play in the CE cesspool even if the topic is like this, where it can stay all about the RU professor but it won't and be moved.
You're probably right. But one can hope. 🙂

It's like a game of partisan whackamole. The whacky partisans (on both sides) will post their silly and useless demonization and then the rest of us can have fun mocking them for it. All good clean fun.

This says it all:
"The witnesses were evenly divided when it came to which theory they favored."
No let the opinions begin.
My opinion is : could be a bat or lab, maybe something else
Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

• Sad
Reactions: Knight Shift
Have at it. Personally, I don’t enjoy it. I wish you all well.
I just think it's funny that people, like this professor, actually dwell on this sort of nonsense. And hilarious when people get worked up over it as if being emotional or insulting is somehow part of the solution.

I mean, hypothetically, lets say China issued a statement saying "yeah, we grew that shit intentionally and tried to kill y'all with it - sorry, our bad". What do the conspiracy theorists think will happen next? 😀

It's as dumb a topic as arguing over who would win in a fight, an elephant or a Cybertruck. 🤣

This says it all:
I'm still going with how it was created by space aliens. I'm 100% certain I'm right about that.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Well, then you’ll have fun with this one, since this guy’s theory was brought up months ago on this board.

Any theory brought forth by the guy that thought Cosby got a raw deal and "Bitch had it coming" when it came to Ray Rice's wife must surely check out.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Its been well known virus cam from CCP lab that the US funded it (after one admin said gain of function research was too dangerous to fund in US - so they let US gov fund it in lab of an enemy with past links and poor record of safety - brilliant). A lot of people have a lot to hide so they lied a lot they way bureaucrats do (play the gray spaces in the margins and let collaborative media carry the water).

"... a growing volume of evidence — gleaned from public records released under the Freedom of Information Act, digital sleuthing through online databases, scientific papers analyzing the virus and its spread, and leaks from within the U.S. government — suggests that the pandemic most likely occurred because a virus escaped from a research lab in Wuhan, China. If so, it would be the most costly accident in the history of science..."

NYT late as usual:

Why the Pandemic Probably Started in a Lab, in 5 Key Points​

"NIH official finally admits taxpayers funded gain-of-function research in Wuhan — after years of denials"

COVID guidelines caused millions to suffer. Now Fauci admits 'there was no science behind it.'
Dr. Anthony Fauci told members of Congress that the COVID guidelines he preached in 2020 had no scientific support.

Last edited:

You know, someone should start a forum where we can have grown up discussions on these issues. Perhaps with a second forum where the crazies can post?

Reactions: RUPete
Wow! Lots of stuff here but none of it talking about a Rutgers professor who has national recognition as being one of the top microbiologists in the world. I did not post this as a political statement but as a acknowledgement that Rutgers can attract some of the foremost academic minds in the world.
Besides the fact that professor Enbright has been on the right side of this issue from day one in my opinion is besides the point. He has been recognized by one of the co equal branches of government as being an authority in microbiology and that reflects very well on Rutgers as a learning institution.

This says it all:

Pretty convincing piece in the NYT a week or two ago that it was a lab leak. The assumption that it was from an animal comports well with every other instance in history and the other 2 SARS outbreaks - and made sense. This may have been different. What’s done is done, let’s just make sure this shit doesn’t happen again and we can only do that if we get to the actual root cause.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Pretty convincing piece in the NYT a week or two ago that it was a lab leak. The assumption that it was from an animal comports well with every other instance in history and the other 2 SARS outbreaks - and made sense. This may have been different. What’s done is done, let’s just make sure this shit doesn’t happen again and we can only do that if we get to the actual root cause.
Nothing is "pretty convincing"

Reactions: hankee18
For this to never happen again, people need to be exposed and punished for their cover ups, obfuscation, and suppression of dissenting scientific voices. The first two should be Fauci and Collins. Fauci is on his whitewash book tour and the usual loser outlets and talk shows are dawning over him. It's quite hilarious and sad at the same time.

Nothing is "pretty convincing"

I’m assuming you didn’t read it.

Again, I’m one who assumed this was like all of the other ones. My opinions change as the data does. I was dismissive of the lab leak theory, now I’m not.

For this to never happen again, people need to be exposed and punished for their cover ups, obfuscation, and suppression of dissenting scientific voices. The first two should be Fauci and Collins. Fauci is on his whitewash book tour and the usual loser outlets and talk shows are dawning over him. It's quite hilarious and sad at the same time.

then have a non partisan commission and do a thorough investigation, like we did after 9/11.

A bunch of politicians screaming for sound bites for their respective echo chambers isn’t going to solve or figure out anything.

Reactions: okieKnight908
this

people lost their lives, their jobs, or fell into deep depression...kids lost valuable learning experience....now some want to just move on and say why dwell on it

it was reprehensible what they did in the name of science and do not want to be accountable one bit

then have a non partisan commission and do a thorough investigation, like we did after 9/11.

A bunch of politicians screaming for sound bites for their respective echo chambers isn’t going to solve or figure out anything.
non partisan commission...hahahaha yeah like ngos or election integrity committees...the days of non partisans think tanks or groups trying to work independantly are gone

Again, I’m one who assumed this was like all of the other ones. My opinions change as the data does. I was dismissive of the lab leak theory, now I’m not.
I don't need to read the crap from either side. You really think internet crap is valid??

Ebright is a decent scientist (Howard Hughes investigator) in his specific area of expertise but he is also an all or none type and a major asshole. And he’s not a virologist. It’s laughable that the OP is all in on Ebright on this topic but doesn’t realize that Ebright would love for Rutgers to eliminate all sports.

Ebright is a decent scientist (Howard Hughes investigator) in his specific area of expertise but he is also an all or none type and a major asshole. And he’s not a virologist. It’s laughable that the OP is all in on Ebright on this topic but doesn’t realize that Ebright would love for Rutgers to eliminate all sports.
Ebright has his strong opinions,.and you have yours. That is what makes America great- we can all freely voice our opinions and share the merits. Except when Fauci and Collins were given carte blanche to ride roughshod over free speech and free thought. And Fauci is a tremendous bs artist, self promoter and obfuscatory. A dangerous megalomaniac who was allowed to wield way too much power. Hope this country learned something.

Last edited:
Ebright has his strong opinions,.and you have yours. That is what makes America great- we can all freely voice our opinions and share the merits. Except when Fauci and Collins were given carte blanche to ride roughshod over free speech and free thought. And Fauci is a tremendous bs artist, self promoter and obfuscatory. A dangerous megalomaniac who was allowed to wield way too much power. Hope this country learned somwtjing.
And apparently you have yours. Hopefully what the country learns is not to elect a fascist to office a second time.

• Haha
Reactions: Kbee3 and newell138
You know, someone should start a forum where we can have grown up discussions on these issues. Perhaps with a second forum where the crazies can post?
TBH, I actually have little interest in seriously discussing most issues. In my opinion, forming a valid and well-informed opinion about most complex issues requires years of formal education in the subject(s) involved along with years of practical experience.

Domestic issues are highly subjective and foreign policy issues are both subjective and the general public is extremely ill-informed on those topics due to not having access to the most pertinent facts (which are often classified).

So we’re left with almost everybody forming impossible to verify opinions based on partial information from biased hyperbolic media without any great way of knowing just how partial or how valid their information is.

Like everyone, I form opinions. But I’m not very confident in many of them in the political arena for the above reasons. It just seems kinda pointless to me to discuss or debate a subject where I cannot be confident in my own opinion.

For this to never happen again, people need to be exposed and punished for their cover ups, obfuscation, and suppression of dissenting scientific voices.

And I doubt it will ever happen.

I was dismissive of the lab leak theory, now I’m not.

What bothered me most is how quickly and decisively they moved to squelch it. The whole purpose of scientific debate is to consider alternate theories and work towards a consensus, discarding theories as they're disproven, not to completely shut down all discussion.

I would love to see that.

At this point, despite the mask being worn by the Rutgers prof.. the pandemic is history, right? Until someone goes nuts with partisan comments, why isn't noting a Rutgers prof becoming of National importance unworthy of discussion outside of football season?

I suppose there is a forum here for Rutgers issues. But this is news Rutgers people should be aware of. I appreciate the OT OP and those defending its presence here.

At this point, despite the mask being worn by the Rutgers prof.. the pandemic is history, right? Until someone goes nuts with partisan comments, why isn't noting a Rutgers prof becoming of National importance unworthy of discussion outside of football season?

I suppose there is a forum here for Rutgers issues. But this is news Rutgers people should be aware of. I appreciate the OT OP and those defending its presence here.
The attacks on the OP are not warranted. Professor Ebright giving testimony before Congress is good for Rutgers, whether people agree with his position or not. Some people still cling to Lord Fauci and the zoonotic origin theory for a strange reason, and some lash out with right wing insults etc, acting as if they are on superior moral ground. Strange. People used to be able to have different opinions and respectfully disagree with each other without resorting to insults and gaslighting.

So the professor is still wearing a mask and elbow bumping people hello?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
And he was a GOP witness because he spoke to the point that what Faucci's boys said about the natural (or wet market) origin was not founded in science.

Though.. the two concepts are not mutually exclusive. He could know that Faucci did us dirty AND think there is still a risk out there.

The image does not match the well-founded testimony. Perhaps there are other reasons to be wearing that mask and limiting contact? Perhaps HE is ill? Or maybe he doesn't want Faucci thugs to be able to recognize him? Maybe he plans to knock-over a jewelry store before heading back to Jersey?

• Haha
Reactions: MrsScrew

I read it - it wasn't convincing at all, IMO, and I thought Kristian Andersen did a very nice job taking apart the shoddy case made by Dr. Chan in the Times opinion essay; see the link below.

https://bsky.app/profile/did:plc:kwvtgth2vwakfigoksfhzfsl/post/3ku7aov4pvd23

In addition, Dr. Holmes one of the world's foremost evolutionary virologists recently published a superb paper making a very strong case for zoonotic spillover as the root cause of the pandemic, which is exactly how every other viral pandemic in human history has begun. Worth reading.

https://www.annualreviews.org/docse...est&checksum=73CD6E54D2C6B9AA98FCD0B1125B0760

And, for what it's worth (a modest amount, at most), the vast majority (77%) of virologists/epidemiologists recently surveyed believe that natural zoonotic spillover is the most likely cause of the pandemic, with only 21% thinking a lab leak was the cause. We'll likely never be able to "prove" a lab leak wasn't the source, but most of the scientific evidence still supports zoonotic spillover.

https://www.science.org/content/art...-back-natural-origin-covid-19-survey-suggests

Lastly, I have little issue with Congressional oversight and investigation of COVID origins, but the way House Republicans (especially morons like MTG) have treated Dr. Fauci, a lifetime servant to public health, was inexcusable. Fortunately, he did a great defending his record.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fauci-calls-covid-cover-up-claim-preposterous/

And since it came up earlier in this thread, recently, what is probably the most comprehensive scientific literature review of masks was published and as expected, it once again showed that masks, worn properly, work to reduce (not eliminate) airborne infections, like COVID and that N95 respirators work much better than cloth masks.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/cmr.00124-23

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT