ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Laxpower computer model gives RU lax 64% chance to make NCAAs

The kid in the video is absolutely relentless. I'm very glad he's coming to RU.

Yea, that is a kid you want on your team. We are getting a different type of athlete now. With the way we play, we are going to get more. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some hot shot recruits at other schools watching the style we play thinking, hmmmmm.

Best championship I saw at RU was 1983, Syracuse vs. Hopkins. Syracuse at that point wasn't really anything to speak of, but they were coming on. Hopkins was the dominant force in the land. Hopkins was crushing Syracuse and Syracuse made this all time comeback. Legends on both sides making crazy plays. I knew during that game I wanted to be a part of that world. It was powerful.

I don't want to put added pressure on us, but we are starting to remind me now of those early Syracuse teams. No one team will ever have the success they have had the last twenty years because the game is just too widespread now, but I see some similar traits to us now. We are getting really good athletes, our coach plays a fast exciting game, encouraging players to make plays, and there is this hunger and thirst for more more more.

If we can get the facilities done, scholarships up to snuff, and the money pool for assistants raised to keep them along with the DoO, I truly believe we can blow the lid off of this thing. We are close.

1) tradition

2) I don't think it being on MDW HURTS the attendance. As Cali pointed out there are other reasons, namely costs of playing in NFL stadiums, driving the crowds away
Cost is the big thing especially parking that they charge Eagle game prices. Last year @ Philly they had a family 4 pack deal for the semis on Sat for $99 with a $20 concession coupon that we took advantage of and a Govt employee deal that was basically the same without the concession coupon but have not seen either offered this year yet.

Typical Brecht recruit. Fast, aggressive, and gets the ball and goes from D to O with purpose. He is a little raw, presumably from playing football where he looks like a player too. He will smooth out once in a college program focused on lax. He has the things you can't teach. Like a lot of kids on our team, being a multi sport athlete is a huge plus. His video is nasty. Old school. Wouldn't want to be going across the middle with that kid hunting around, that's for sure.

Great synopsis. I haven't seen Jevon play alot of lacrosse but I have seen him play football. I am sure he will need to polish some lax techniques but I am confident this staff will get that part done. We are lucky he isn't a few inches taller and several pounds heavier or he would have multiple P5 offers for football. Can't wait to see him playing lax for RU, Jevon will definitely bring alot of physicality, smarts and speed to RU lax. Great family too (with a younger brother who also is a stud lax/football player).

Actually 10k is a ways away. The reason is that there is not the community interest that you have at places like Syracuse and Baltimore. Hopkins-UVA at Homewood when they are both ranked in the Top 5 will draw 12,500 because it's a) a reasonable day trip from Charlottesville and b) Baltimore is a lacrosse hotbed which will bring in locals who are not Hopkins fans. Can't say that about Piscataway. Same for Syracuse-Cornell when they are in the Top 5. Easy day trip from Ithica and a lot of community interest in Syracuse.

For the NCAA tourney Saturday is always better than Monday because there are fan bases for 4 teams that will travel and the next day isn't a work day. For the last 25 years Baltimore has always drawn best. Foxboro will never draw as well because it's NOT a day trip from Baltimore and not an easy trip from LI. HPSS would be a possibility because it's a day trip from both Baltimore and LI. Same for Met Life.

And indeed, price is an issue, particularly when they tag you for parking as well.

You are projecting the past onto to the future. RU is located in the epicenter of the lacrosse world and the media, all we have to do is get consistently really good (this could happen now that we have the right coach, B1G money eventually, B1G network) and there will be "community interest" that dwarfs places like Syracuse and Baltimore. You don't think a top 5 ranked RU team chock full of Jersey boys playing a top 5 ranked Syracuse squad chock full of NY boys would ever draw a 10K crowd? I think it will happen as long as RU funds lax appropriately to compete.

Reactions: ruready07
Community interest that dwarfs Baltimore? With Baltimore's history, Gilman, Hopkins, and Navy, Loyola, Maryland , UMBC, Towson and Georgetown all within an hour? Also the DC and Baltimore media markets that have been covering the sport intensively for more than half a century. Not in my lifetime (I'm a boomer)

The one caveat is Md., Umbc, Hopkins, Loyola and Towson are all within an hour of each other. Hop, Loyola and Towson are even closer.

RU and Princeton are the only game in town, at least at the highest level.

NJ has a much higher concentration of people too.

Agree about the coverage. Lacrosse in the Baltimore Sun is front page stuff. It's intensely covered.

Philly seems like the logical choice to have it, as it is still within an easy drive for a lot of Long Island.

No thoughts on TV ratings being better on a different weekend?

Agree about the coverage. Lacrosse in the Baltimore Sun is front page stuff. It's intensely covered.

While not at the Baltimore Sun level, the Washington Post has had far more extensive lacrosse coverage than any of the papers in the Tri-State area for more than 25 years.

It would be nice if the NJ media started covering lax like those other places.

DC lacrosse is getting a lot better. Bullis and Landon can compete with the Maryland MIAA teams now.

Reactions: RUMountie
It would be nice if the NJ media started covering lax like those other places.

DC lacrosse is getting a lot better. Bullis and Landon can compete with the Maryland MIAA teams now.
As bad as they are with RU, the Ledger and NJ.Com do a pretty good job on HS sports. And lacrosse IMO is covered well.

As bad as they are with RU, the Ledger and NJ.Com do a pretty good job on HS sports. And lacrosse IMO is covered well.

HS but not college (Rutgers). And The Record does not even publish the RU scores, let alone give game coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT