ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

Where have I seen this before? Oh, every day if you're a Mets fan. I keep saying Mets needed to win last night. Otherwise, they are going to get swept.

Where have I seen this before? Oh, every day if you're a Mets fan. I keep saying Mets needed to win last night. Otherwise, they are going to get swept.
But Matz keeps getting the benefit of the doubt because hes a Long Island Boy. Screw that... HE SUCK!!!! Smith, Wheeler, Murphy, Familia have been ripped more for less...

ENOUGH!!!!

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
They really need him out of the rotation. 0-4 8.20 ERA and a total mental case on the mound.
Yeah but... keep him in because hes a Long Island Guy...

GTFOOH. Smith, Stroman, Murphy, Wheeler, Familia, and others have been ripped new ones for less.

So- funny how things are...This start of the season has sucked again for sure but always some bright spots. First- I hope we never even doubt if JD Davis is a full time player much less should just find him his spot and try to keep him there for the next 5 years. Pederson has been very good for a rookie and very good to see for the future.

But a very bright spot- D Smith...guy has to find a role here or, Met's need to use him on a huge trade for their future but keep him playing every day.

A little bust on our favorite Yankee fans...I am not going to troll them on their thread but since this relates to the Met's, I will throw some out here.According to them, their oft injured Judge is the Face of baseball this year and forget about even guys like Blackman almost hitting .500 or Tatis Jr being in the convo.
But, when I looked at his stats, I realized that while he has 9 HR his line is BA .290 OBP .343 SLG .758 OPS 1.101
And then I decided to look at D Smith now that he has 6 HR ond only a few RBI less than Judge and his line is BA .300 OBP .383 SLG .780 OPS 1.163
Both have almost the same plate Appearances
Just saying...

So- funny how things are...This start of the season has sucked again for sure but always some bright spots. First- I hope we never even doubt if JD Davis is a full time player much less should just find him his spot and try to keep him there for the next 5 years. Pederson has been very good for a rookie and very good to see for the future.

But a very bright spot- D Smith...guy has to find a role here or, Met's need to use him on a huge trade for their future but keep him playing every day.

A little bust on our favorite Yankee fans...I am not going to troll them on their thread but since this relates to the Met's, I will throw some out here.According to them, their oft injured Judge is the Face of baseball this year and forget about even guys like Blackman almost hitting .500 or Tatis Jr being in the convo.
But, when I looked at his stats, I realized that while he has 9 HR his line is BA .290 OBP .343 SLG .758 OPS 1.101
And then I decided to look at D Smith now that he has 6 HR ond only a few RBI less than Judge and his line is BA .300 OBP .383 SLG .780 OPS 1.163
Both have almost the same plate Appearances
Just saying...
Difference between Davis, Smith, McNeil, Conforto, (even Murphy, Turner, etc) and Tatis, Blackmon, Arrenado, Bellinger, Betts, Judge, Lindor, Baez, etc is that the Mets players have to play 5 positions and be in different spots in the lineup every game while the other players IS THE (whatever position they play for) for their team. They dont know wth they're going to do that game until they get to the park and BVW/Wilpons tells Rojas where they're playing. Big difference

Difference between Davis, Smith, McNeil, Conforto, (even Murphy, Turner, etc) and Tatis, Blackmon, Arrenado, Bellinger, Betts, Judge, Lindor, Baez, etc is that the Mets players have to play 5 positions and be in different spots in the lineup every game while the other players IS THE (whatever position they play for) for their team. They dont know wth they're going to do that game until they get to the park and BVW/Wilpons tells Rojas where they're playing. Big difference
Don't see what knowing what position or place in order before coming to the park is such a big deal? Do I come to the park differently if I'm batting 2nd or 6th? Once asked a 10 year old softball player what position she wanted to play. Her answer was I don't care where I play as long as I'm in the lineup. Great answer.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Don't see what knowing what position or place in order before coming to the park is such a big deal? Do I come to the park differently if I'm batting 2nd or 6th? Once asked a 10 year old softball player what position she wanted to play. Her answer was I don't care where I play as long as I'm in the lineup. Great answer.

Agree with Tico on this one...Baseball players are creatures of habit and love to be in a routine. Almost ever pro player you ever meet has stories of their daily routine.
Think of it outside of baseball too. If you are going to work and think you are doing something specific that day and you get there and are told you have to do something else, while you most likely get that job done and do it well, it will throw you off for a little bit before you get settled into what you are doing. If everyday, may be something different and you never know until you get there...it also weighs on you. And with the Met's, you could have also had a great day the day before and you are feeling really good and you show up and that is the day they feel you need to sit for a rest.
Our team is dysfunctional in every single way possible

Agree with Tico on this one...Baseball players are creatures of habit and love to be in a routine. Almost ever pro player you ever meet has stories of their daily routine.
Think of it outside of baseball too. If you are going to work and think you are doing something specific that day and you get there and are told you have to do something else, while you most likely get that job done and do it well, it will throw you off for a little bit before you get settled into what you are doing. If everyday, may be something different and you never know until you get there...it also weighs on you. And with the Met's, you could have also had a great day the day before and you are feeling really good and you show up and that is the day they feel you need to sit for a rest.

Thank you.

Baez IS a shortstop.
Lindor IS a shortstop
Bellinger IS a first baseman
Betts IS a centerfielder
Arrenado IS a third baseman
Guerrero IS a third baseman
Tatis IS a third baseman
Story IS a shortstop
Lameiheu IS a second baseman
Turner IS an third baseman
Freeman IS a first baseman
Didi IS a shortstop

Ask "should be stars"/ "future stars" Conforto, Davis, Smith, McNeil, Giminez what they're playing today... "IDK"

BTW, time to bring up some potential starters to see what they got. And no I'm not talking about Lockett or Oswalt. Cant do no worse than Matz.

BTW, time to bring up some potential starters to see what they got. And no I'm not talking about Lockett or Oswalt. Cant do no worse than Matz.
Let's Go Matz!!!!!
Rail all you want about Matz, but another piss poor performance on offense last night. 2 runs against any team, let alone the Phillies with all of their hitting (highest OPS and SLG in NL), ain't gonna win games.
Pop quiz--which team has the worst ERA in the NL? Yeah, it's the Phillies.

Another excuse for Matz and his 0-3, 9.00. Hes had 5 years and has done stugots...

Next.

This isn’t a melodrama. It’s baseball. The Mets are losing because they have deficient talent. And they have deficient talent because their management is worse at assessing and collecting talent than the management of other teams. And that’s because their ownership can’t run an organization or hire good management and won’t spend money. That’s it.

Here's who will hack against Zack:

Nimmo CF
Conforto RF
Davis 3B
Smith 1B
Cano DH
Gimenez SS
Ramos C
Guillorme 2B
Hamilton CF
--------------------
Porcello P

I played baseball for a long time. In high school I caught, pitched, played 1st, short, 3rd, left, center and right. Travel ball I pitched, played 1st, 3rd and left. College I caught, pitched, played 1st, left and right. I never once concerned myself what position I was playing on my way to a game. If I was starting pitcher, I would know. Most other times I found out at the game. Had to lug fielders glove, catchers mitt, 1st baseman’s glove and catching gear all the time. As long as I was playing I was happy. Did I have a favorite position, of course I did. Anyone who tells you they had a bad game because they didn’t know their position and order in the lineup because they didn’t know before the game is giving you a weak excuse.

On the subject of positional flexibility: on Friday's broadcast the Met announcers discussed a comment that Rosario made in praise of Gimenez. Rosario acknowledged that Gimemez was an excellent SS, and said that if he (Rosario) was asked to change positions he would do so. As long as he was on the field and could help the team.

Cohen praised Rosario for his team-first attitude. Darling took the opposite approach. Darling said he would have preferred Rosario say that I am the shortstop on this team, and nobody is taking that position from me.

Thoughts?

Rosario’s offense plays OK as a shortstop. But if he’s suddenly a centerfielder, and one of questionable defensive quality at that, he’s likely just another weak player in the lineup. Plus you’ll have Gimenez at short and, if his long term minor league numbers are the right indicator and not just his short stint in the majors, he will be a weak spot in the lineup too.

These are just bad answers from a badly stocked organization.

I played baseball for a long time. In high school I caught, pitched, played 1st, short, 3rd, left, center and right. Travel ball I pitched, played 1st, 3rd and left. College I caught, pitched, played 1st, left and right. I never once concerned myself what position I was playing on my way to a game. If I was starting pitcher, I would know. Most other times I found out at the game. Had to lug fielders glove, catchers mitt, 1st baseman’s glove and catching gear all the time. As long as I was playing I was happy. Did I have a favorite position, of course I did. Anyone who tells you they had a bad game because they didn’t know their position and order in the lineup because they didn’t know before the game is giving you a weak excuse.
OK- and Wade Boggs would swear he had bad games because he didn't eat chicken.
Another sport- football. My son played 4 of the OL positions well and could switch on a moments notice. But when he came into the week/game knowing which of the positions he was playing, his mind set was in a different place and played better.

Question for you- I assume that playing through college actually does mean you were an elite baseball player. And not knowing what position you were playing didn't stop you from still being pretty damn good. But what if...you knew every single day that you were locked into your best position on the field and batting order...Didn't have to lug mult mits/gloves gear with you...could that slight mental edge have gotten you to the next level? You and I don't have that answer but if that was the one thing, it very well could have been that important.

I also look at it as these guys are the very best of the best. The worst MLB player is light years ahead of 95% of your college team. Every single edge may be what keeps them there or drops them down. I can't buy that an elite SS who plays and knows they are playing SS every single day and ONLY has to practice at that position, does not have an advantage over and elite SS who has no idea what position their manager may put him in each day so he has to split time training and studying each position...

OK- and Wade Boggs would swear he had bad games because he didn't eat chicken.
Another sport- football. My son played 4 of the OL positions well and could switch on a moments notice. But when he came into the week/game knowing which of the positions he was playing, his mind set was in a different place and played better.

Question for you- I assume that playing through college actually does mean you were an elite baseball player. And not knowing what position you were playing didn't stop you from still being pretty damn good. But what if...you knew every single day that you were locked into your best position on the field and batting order...Didn't have to lug mult mits/gloves gear with you...could that slight mental edge have gotten you to the next level? You and I don't have that answer but if that was the one thing, it very well could have been that important.

I also look at it as these guys are the very best of the best. The worst MLB player is light years ahead of 95% of your college team. Every single edge may be what keeps them there or drops them down. I can't buy that an elite SS who plays and knows they are playing SS every single day and ONLY has to practice at that position, does not have an advantage over and elite SS who has no idea what position their manager may put him in each day so he has to split time training and studying each position...
I’ll give you practicing just one position would be a plus.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT