ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ microbrew industry in jeopardy?

I was confused by the Guild’s statement where they say they understand the NJABC is following the law as written. Are they saying they know these are the rules as written but the state has been lax, or waived, some of the restrictions in past?

Most likely a business that owns a regular liquor license brought several examples of the microbreweries violating the conditions of the license

The State ABC issues clarifying regulations and puts all the license holders on notice

It will end up in the lap of the legislative bodies with microbrews arguing the conditions will put us out of business and bars and restaurants arguing if you allow this our licenses become worthless and you kill our business

Whoever convinces 3 people their side is correct will win as long as those 3 people are the Speaker of the Assembly, the President of the Senate and the Governor

Most likely a business that owns a regular liquor license brought several examples of the microbreweries violating the conditions of the license

The State ABC issues clarifying regulations and puts all the license holders on notice

It will end up in the lap of the legislative bodies with microbrews arguing the conditions will put us out of business and bars and restaurants arguing if you allow this our licenses become worthless and you kill our business

Whoever convinces 3 people their side is correct will win as long as those 3 people are the Speaker of the Assembly, the President of the Senate and the Governor
Just another example of the stupid NJ gov doing stupid things. Microbreweries should be able to sell their product as they see fit.

It would be interesting if we have any liquor license owners on the board to get their opinion. From what I understand the liquor license lobby has great concern that their membership sees diminished value of the license as you allow other businesses to operate without restricition.

Reactions: goru1869
Just another example of the stupid NJ gov doing stupid things. Microbreweries should be able to sell their product as they see fit.
I have no problem with that concept. Just do away with the requirement to have a liquor license

I have no problem with that concept. Just do away with the requirement to have a liquor license
Liquor licenses are just like flood insurance.....two areas the gov should never gotten involved in. They screwed things up way more than helped.

Liquor stores/bars just need to be regulated via local zoning ordinances (towns deciding where they can go). That's it.

Simply it is a fight by NJ Licensed Beverage Association (bars and restaurants) against breweries. They are doing everything to diminish sales at breweries as they strongly feel they are losing money because of them.
Yes this is bad for breweries on premise consumption.

On one hand, I see the argument for people that paid big $$$$$ for liquor licenses to operate a bar. In the other hand, I do think there is a distinction between the two and not direct competition. Do breweries have strict operating hours?

It would be interesting if we have any liquor license owners on the board to get their opinion. From what I understand the liquor license lobby has great concern that their membership sees diminished value of the license as you allow other businesses to operate without restricition.
Breweries aren't operating without restriction, there are already plenty of restrictions. They can't sell food, customers have to do a tour before ordering anything, pretty sure they can't be open as late, and perhaps the biggest restriction of all--they can only sell what they produce. The bars/restaurants are upset because they spent a fortune on their liquor license, but issuing further restrictions on other businesses to appease them is bad for consumers. The root of the problem is that there aren't enough liquor licenses, so everyone has to buy theirs second-hand, which makes it very expensive.

On one hand, I see the argument for people that paid big $$$$$ for liquor licenses to operate a bar. In the other hand, I do think there is a distinction between the two and not direct competition. Do breweries have strict operating hours?
I believe breweries cannot be open later than 10, but I could be wrong about that.

The tour thing was always the dumbest part of NJ brewery law. You're also hurting food trucks with these laws. Both bars/restaurants can co-exist without these measures.

If a brewery has a TV and they have a "big" game on that could be considered an event even if not advertised. That's just ridiculous and only one part of the new law which is going to kill half the industry.

Reactions: robcac26
The tour thing was always the dumbest part of NJ brewery law. You're also hurting food trucks with these laws. Both bars/restaurants can co-exist without these measures.

If a brewery has a TV and they have a "big" game on that could be considered an event even if not advertised. That's just ridiculous and only one part of the new law which is going to kill half the industry.
TV is the one thing I 100% agree with. Shouldn’t be allowed. Don’t think they have TVs at wineries.

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
TV is the one thing I 100% agree with. Shouldn’t be allowed. Don’t think they have TVs at wineries.
The argument against breweries is beyond ridiculous. In the 5 Philadelphia County areas their might be more breweries then in all of NJ and nobody is complaining. It has invigorated the restaurant industry in general.
What I see a lot in NJ is bars sticking to all the old school beers like Bud and Miller Lite and offering no craft beers. If you want to be a dinosaur in the restaurant business than your survival is similar to the dinosaurs.

The argument against breweries is beyond ridiculous. In the 5 Philadelphia County areas their might be more breweries then in all of NJ and nobody is complaining. It has invigorated the restaurant industry in general.
What I see a lot in NJ is bars sticking to all the old school beers like Bud and Miller Lite and offering no craft beers. If you want to be a dinosaur in the restaurant business than your survival is similar to the dinosaurs.
The argument is strictly why one has to pay $$$$ for a liquor license and the other doesn’t. Obviously, it’s not an issue if both are required to buy one.

Reactions: Jimpeg
One is a manufacturer the other is a retailer.
I guess you want the brewery business to go away.
Except when the manufacturer try’s to operate as a retailer without the conditions required of all other retailers
That is the argument the bar and restaurant association is making

Reactions: jtung230
The argument is strictly why one has to pay $$$$ for a liquor license and the other doesn’t. Obviously, it’s not an issue if both are required to buy one.
In FL breweries and bars who sell only beer and wine pay a nominal fee annually to the state. Most bars and breweries are in this group.

Bars who sell spirits are required to buy a liquor license.

Reactions: jtung230
LOL…..blame the voters in 1933. That’s when states started regulating alcohol drinks.
No, the current license holders also lobby the government to not flood the market with new licenses to "protect their investment". If you want the breweries to buy liquor licenses, cool. Issue enough licenses that it no longer costs $1 million to buy one. This is taxi medallion owners fighting rideshare apps all over again.

In FL breweries and bars who sell only beer and wine pay a nominal fee annually to the state. Most bars and breweries are in this group.

Bars who sell spirits are required to buy a liquor license.
Why require a license for any of it

Require some minimum level of liability insurance coverage

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
No, the current license holders also lobby the government to not flood the market with new licenses to "protect their investment". If you want the breweries to buy liquor licenses, cool. Issue enough licenses that it no longer costs $1 million to buy one. This is taxi medallion owners fighting rideshare apps all over again.
The cost varies tremendously by municipalities

Some licenses go for $5,000 and some have no market at all

And you are correct it is exactly the same argument that taxi vs Uber is

Our town gets around $500k for new licenses.....but that price does fluctuates quite a bit based on # of bidders and overall economy.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Except when the manufacturer try’s to operate as a retailer without the conditions required of all other retailers
That is the argument the bar and restaurant association is making
They are totally different. A brewery can not sell liquor or anything they do not produce. They can't sell food. They are just selling their own products. The NJLB argument is beyond ridiculous.

They are totally different. A brewery can not sell liquor or anything they do not produce. They can't sell food. They are just selling their own products. The NJLB argument is beyond ridiculous.
But isn't that the argument they are making

I am not saying it is valid.

Both sides will have an opportunity to make their case as well as everyone that is employed by or a customer of either industry

One is a manufacturer the other is a retailer.
I guess you want the brewery business to go away.
What does TV have to do with brewery business? You should know this more than anyone else. Crabs Claw in Lavallette has a monopoly because of this.

Stupid gov created an artificial monopoly for a cost and now those parties want the gov to protect said monopoly. Once again, why is the gov involved in this?
LOL….too funny. Do you want your neighbor to turn his garage into a bar? Is this a serious post?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Taxi drivers vs Uber

Hotels vs Airbnb

Bars/Restaurants vs Microbreweries

It’s all the same argument. Let a free market decide rather than have the government regulate. Keeps business on their toes and spurs innovation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT