ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ microbrew industry in jeopardy?

Taxi drivers vs Uber

Hotels vs Airbnb

Bars/Restaurants vs Microbreweries

It’s all the same argument. Let a free market decide rather than have the government regulate. Keeps business on their toes and spurs innovation.
LOL……innovation? We are talking about where to drink beers.

What does TV have to do with brewery business? You should know this more than anyone else. Crabs Claw in Lavallette has a monopoly because of this.
A TV has nothing to do with it, nor does a required tour. Breweries and restaurants are two totaly different businesses. However NJLBA is trying to argue they are the same. They aren't.
A private club (Elks, VFW...) is a lot closer to a restaurant. Maybe the NJLBA should go after them instead.

Reactions: jtung230
A TV has nothing to do with it, nor does a required tour. Breweries and restaurants are two totaly different businesses. However NJLBA is trying to argue they are the same. They aren't.
A private club (Elks, VFW...) is a lot closer to a restaurant. Maybe the NJLBA should go after them instead.
Agreed. Too many breweries are trying to operate like a bar. Hence, this new guideline is being proposed.

Taxi drivers vs Uber

Hotels vs Airbnb

Bars/Restaurants vs Microbreweries

It’s all the same argument. Let a free market decide rather than have the government regulate. Keeps business on their toes and spurs innovation.
You have to add that with the original industry the government require certain cost requirements which had a value to the business

Should the government take any action to protect the asset they required to be obtained

The argument against breweries is beyond ridiculous. In the 5 Philadelphia County areas their might be more breweries then in all of NJ and nobody is complaining. It has invigorated the restaurant industry in general.
What I see a lot in NJ is bars sticking to all the old school beers like Bud and Miller Lite and offering no craft beers. If you want to be a dinosaur in the restaurant business than your survival is similar to the dinosaurs.
Lobster House in Cape May is a prime example. Their beer menu is circa 1979 and no draft beers which is surprising for a place that large. One of the main reasons I don’t go there is their shitty beer menu

You have to add that with the original industry the government require certain cost requirements which had a value to the business

Should the government take any action to protect the asset they required to be obtained
The correct action would be for the gov to buy back all licenses and move to the simple system we talked about earlier in the thread.

A TV doesn't make a bar. No does having an event.
As I said there is no pushback in PA against breweries. The argument is silly in NJ.
Every state regulates liquor license differently. I’m sure most breweries are operating like a brewery. But you know there are ones that are blurring the lines for $$$$. No one would complaint if it wasn’t happening.

Lobster House in Cape May is a prime example. Their beer menu is circa 1979 and no draft beers which is surprising for a place that large. One of the main reasons I don’t go there is their shitty beer menu
I never go there because I can't find the place! I think they need more signage pointing to their location. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: newell138

Fair, but any government regulation has to adapt with the times as products/services are finding their way into the hands of consumers in different ways.

Reactions: tom1944
Just so that you can complainant about how govt is wasting our tax dollars buying back liquor licenses….LOL

You know you would
Oh hell yeah.....because the gov shouldn't have pushed them to begin with.

Every state regulates liquor license differently. I’m sure most breweries are operating like a brewery. But you know there are ones that are blurring the lines for $$$$. No one would complaint if it wasn’t happening.
I proudly support the industry I work in. I sell local beers over all other craft beers. I visit many breweries as well. I've never been in a brewery in PA or NJ that was even remotely acting like a bar or restaurant. PA breweries can also sell PA wine and distilled beverages. Most of them have it available but they don't sell much. People go to breweries to drink the beer that is made there.

This also eliminates lots of jobs but I guess we need people on unemployment to keep all those state workers busy
The lost jobs argument doesn’t hold water. If the local microbrewery cuts back on activities the customer(s) will shift his leisure spend to other local businesses.

That is very true. I've been in quite a few over the years, particularly as a DJ, and some of them are de facto restaurants with a cash bar.

Pennsylvania brew pubs have flourished as the restrictions are few and the licenses are relatively cheap. Didn’t realize NJ had such tough restrictions for them but it makes sense I guess given the number of huge bar/restaurants in NJ especially at the shore.

Also who they perceive delivers the most likely voters

If enough people call the legislative office in support or opposition that can override money
But doesn’t that mean it’ll be more corrupt if you let the towns regulate it?

Yet another reason this state sucks.

But guess what, most of us (not me) voted for this. Nice job folks.

+1
Stupid voters elect stupid people who do stupid things. NJ in a nutshell.
These nonsensical restrictions on breweries have existed for decades, it hasn't made a difference who is in office. Typical American two-party politics--every piece of bad legislation must be because of the other party, my party would NEVER do such a thing!

If the bars and restaurants are concerned that they're losing customers to breweries, what is stopping them from just selling better beer? That way people have the choice of going to a brewery where they can get good beer, or going to a bar where they can get the same beer and also have something to eat with it. Bars and restaurants already have that advantage over breweries because they've already successfully lobbied the government to prevent breweries from selling food. Their refusal to adapt to market trends and offer beer that people want is why people go to breweries instead.

The correct action would be for the gov to buy back all licenses and move to the simple system we talked about earlier in the thread.
There are a few bills that have been languishing in Trenton for years to create a new restaurant license for beer/wine only, at a low cost of $1000-$5000 (similar to neighboring states). Owners of full-liquor licenses would get tax credits to offset any decline in value for their over-inflated full-liquor licenses.

These bills are primarily to help smaller restaurants by allowing them to serve beer and wine. But breweries would also be able to buy these beer/wine licences. Or there could be an even lower price brewery license which would limit them to selling only their own beer. This would eliminate most of the stupid restrictions on breweries.

But, of course, the restaurant industry objects, to protect the wealthier restaurants with full licenses.

They should really support reform to make NJ regulations more similar to other states. It isn't 1970 anymore. If the restaurant industry objects to reasonable reform, where they can get tax credits if the value of their licenses decrease, they run the risk of a public referendum to completely change the restaurant licensing laws, in which case owners of devalued licences would get nothing.

When NJ’s drinking age was 18, PA’s was 21.

PA still has government run state stores to sell sell hard alcohol, leaving residents to drive from place to place to get their beer, wine and booze and cutting out private business.

So, sure, let‘s hold up PA as the standard NJ should aspire to for inspired thinking on regulations for adult beverages.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
When NJ’s drinking age was 18, PA’s was 21.

PA still has government run state stores to sell sell hard alcohol, leaving residents to drive from place to place to get their beer, wine and booze and cutting out private business.

So, sure, let‘s hold up PA as the standard NJ should aspire to for inspired thinking on regulations for adult beverages.
As far as breweries go PA is the standard. NJ is back in the prohibition era. In NJ you can't buy beer or wine in grocery store or a corner store. Restaurants liquor licenses are 1/10th or less then in NJ.
Your post has nothing to do with the thread topic.

As far as breweries go PA is the standard. NJ is back in the prohibition era. In NJ you can't buy beer or wine in grocery store or a corner store. Restaurants liquor licenses are 1/10th or less then in NJ.
I get beer and wine in my NJ grocery store

it has everything to do with the topic. A state’s ABC laws need to be looked at in totality. PA does it their way and NJ does it their way. You don’t even live in NJ - you just like arguing about anything done anywhere that isn’t your way.

it has everything to do with the topic. A state’s ABC laws need to be looked at in totality. PA does it their way and NJ does it their way. You don’t even live in NJ - you just like arguing about anything done anywhere that isn’t your way.
We were specifically talking about breweries and the changes coming. Nothing in your post addressed anything about a brewery in NJ.

We were specifically talking about breweries and the changes coming. Nothing in your post addressed anything about a brewery in NJ.
so then why did you bring up PA‘s regulations in three separate posts before mine if we should only be discussing NJ? There were 20 posts made with no mention of any other state before you brought up PA in post #21.

so then why did you bring up PA‘s regulations in three separate posts before mine if we should only be discussing NJ? There were 20 posts made with no mention of any other state before you brought up PA in post #21.
With regards to breweries.

500k is ludicrous. How do you expect normal people to open restaurants at that price.
Toms River had a new license based on population growth. I believe they expected a million dollars.

Those licenses are for large franchises to buy.

I am not sure they got the million.

But who wants to eat at a large franchise. I much prefer local restaurants. Jersey greed I am so happy I moved out
I never eat at a franchise

Mostly we like to go to different Jersey diners

I am not a fine dining person because my wife has a very limited diet due to health issues.

Reactions: RUMED
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT