ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ microbrew industry in jeopardy?

Most likely a business that owns a regular liquor license brought several examples of the microbreweries violating the conditions of the license

The State ABC issues clarifying regulations and puts all the license holders on notice

It will end up in the lap of the legislative bodies with microbrews arguing the conditions will put us out of business and bars and restaurants arguing if you allow this our licenses become worthless and you kill our business

Whoever convinces 3 people their side is correct will win as long as those 3 people are the Speaker of the Assembly, the President of the Senate and the Governor
I think that gives too much credit for arguments where quid pro quo will likely rule the day. NJ pols follow the Friends and Family plan. Wherever they have the most lucrative friends and family involved will win.

Reactions: RUScrew85
A TV doesn't make a bar. Nor does having an event.
As I said there is no pushback in PA against breweries. The argument is silly in NJ.
Exactly … if restaurants don’t like the competition they don’t need to buy their craft products. State just wants to control everything.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Exactly … if restaurants don’t like the competition they don’t need to buy their craft products. State just wants to control everything.
Again, it’s not supposed to be competition. Breweries need to buy a liquor license if they want to compete.

Reactions: RUJohnny
These nonsensical restrictions on breweries have existed for decades, it hasn't made a difference who is in office. Typical American two-party politics--every piece of bad legislation must be because of the other party, my party would NEVER do such a thing!

Convenient. So the reason NJ is an over regulated over taxed crap hole is half the R's fault? LOL.

Reactions: RU2131
Convenient. So the reason NJ is an over regulated over taxed crap hole is half the R's fault? LOL.
We're talking about restrictions on breweries, many of which have been in place through both Democrat governors and Republican governors. On a broader scale, yes, both parties are to blame. Regardless of one's political views, if you are so brainwashed to think that only one party is to blame for all of our problems and that the other one only wants to do what's best for us, that's pretty sad. Remember the gas tax increase from a few years back (which also included a provision that allowed for subsequent gas tax increases to happen automatically without a vote), was passed by a Democrat legislature and a Republican governor.

No they don't. They aren't a restaurant. What part of that can't figure out?? They pay for a brewery license. Because they are ... um a brewery!!
I can’t figure out why one can buy food at a brewery if they are not a restaurant? Is it that easy to get around the rules with technicality?

I can’t figure out why one can buy food at a brewery if they are not a restaurant? Is it that easy to get around the rules with technicality?
It's a third party vendor. Breweries don't make a cent from food truck sales. In fact the actually pay some just to show up and most don’t have anything during the week so it's BYOF. The local restaurants make great money off Breweries if the food is at best decent. Your arguments tell me you have never been to a brewery as you really have no clue.

Last edited:
Jtung, you're being obtuse.

With a brewery license, you can only sell beer you produce. You can't sell other alcohol. You can't sell food, other than nominal snacks like peanuts or crackers. You are limited to the number of event you can hold each year. You can provide your patrons with take out menus from nearby restaurants, but you can't enter into an revenue-sharing or exclusivity arrangement with those restaurants. You cannot arrange for food trucks to come to the brewery (except in limited circumstances).

If you see food trucks near a brewery, that is something the food truck has arranged, either with the town or property owner. Food trucks like to go where people are, which is why you might see them in the Costco parking lot. But if they are near a brewery, the brewery cannot be involved in arranging or advertising the food truck, nor receive any revenue from the food truck sales.

A restaurant with a liquor license can sell as much food as they like. They can hold as many events as they like. They can sell any kind of beer, wine, vodka, whiskey, rum, gin, cocktails, etc as they like. And they get the revenue from all of that

It is really a different business than a brewery who can only sell their own beer.

As WhiteBus said, if you are a restaurant with a full liquor license, and your business is threatened by a brewery selling one brand of beer, or threatened by a food truck selling food out of a 6-foot-by-10-foot kitchen, or even threatened by the brewery and food truck in tandem, then you have bigger problems than the brewery and food truck.

Beyond that, I say if the state allowed low-cost beer/wine licenses for restaurant, and your full-service bar is threatened by that, you still have major problems. And if you're just concerned about the value of your liquor license, under the bills (that the restaurant lobby oppose) in Trenton, you can receive tax credits for the devaluation of your liquor license. You can even sell those tax credits to make a quick buck. You could even sell your full-liquor license, take the tax credits, sell the tax credits, and buy a low-cost beer/wine licence if you wish.

And if a craft brewery is still threatening your business, maybe you should find another line of business.

It's a third party vendor. Breweries don't make a cent from food truck sales. In fact the actually pay some just to show up and most don’t have anything during the week so it's BYOF. The local restaurants make great money off Breweries if the food is at best decent. Your arguments tell me you have never been to a brewery as you really have no clue.

In NJ, the brewery is not allowed to arrange for a food truck to come to the brewery. Food trucks would need to arrange with a shopping center owner or the town for permission to park near a brewery.

Jtung, you're being obtuse.

With a brewery license, you can only sell beer you produce. You can't sell other alcohol. You can't sell food, other than nominal snacks like peanuts or crackers. You are limited to the number of event you can hold each year. You can provide your patrons with take out menus from nearby restaurants, but you can't enter into an revenue-sharing or exclusivity arrangement with those restaurants. You cannot arrange for food trucks to come to the brewery (except in limited circumstances).

If you see food trucks near a brewery, that is something the food truck has arranged, either with the town or property owner. Food trucks like to go where people are, which is why you might see them in the Costco parking lot. But if they are near a brewery, the brewery cannot be involved in arranging or advertising the food truck, nor receive any revenue from the food truck sales.

A restaurant with a liquor license can sell as much food as they like. They can hold as many events as they like. They can sell any kind of beer, wine, vodka, whiskey, rum, gin, cocktails, etc as they like. And they get the revenue from all of that

It is really a different business than a brewery who can only sell their own beer.

As WhiteBus said, if you are a restaurant with a full liquor license, and your business is threatened by a brewery selling one brand of beer, or threatened by a food truck selling food out of a 6-foot-by-10-foot kitchen, or even threatened by the brewery and food truck in tandem, then you have bigger problems than the brewery and food truck.

Beyond that, I say if the state allowed low-cost beer/wine licenses for restaurant, and your full-service bar is threatened by that, you still have major problems. And if you're just concerned about the value of your liquor license, under the bills (that the restaurant lobby oppose) in Trenton, you can receive tax credits for the devaluation of your liquor license. You can even sell those tax credits to make a quick buck. You could even sell your full-liquor license, take the tax credits, sell the tax credits, and buy a low-cost beer/wine licence if you wish.

And if a craft brewery is still threatening your business, maybe you should find another line of business.
He either loves drinking Budweiser, never been to a brewery and/or drinks hard alcohol. There is no chance he owns a restaurant. All of his points are bizarre. Clearly never been to a brewery.

In NJ, the brewery is not allowed to arrange for a food truck to come to the brewery. Food trucks would need to arrange with a shopping center owner or the town for permission to park near a brewery.
Yes each town the food truck has to register with the town/county to show up but the Brewery is involved. Most breweries have no requirements to get approve by a shopping center as most aren't in one. I've never been one in a strip mall. The land requires even a small brewery to have a building that doesn't fit in a strip mall. Tonewood like many either own their own land or have complete control of their parking area. The restrictions on food trucks is you are limited to how many days a month you can park in the same place

Yes each town the food truck has to register with the town/county to show up but the Brewery is involved. Most breweries have no requirements to get approve by a shopping center as most aren't in one. I've never been one in a strip mall. The land requires even a small brewery to have a building that doesn't fit in a strip mall. Tonewood like many either own their own land or have complete control of their parking area. The restrictions on food trucks is you are limited to how many days a month you can park in the same place
The brewery license regulations specifically prohibit breweries from coordinating or collaborating with food vendors, including food trucks. (See item 4: https://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases19/Limited-Brewery_Special-Ruling.pdf)

I don't know how carefully this has been enforced, so I would guess that there have been breweries who coordinated with food trucks. But if nearby restaurants complained, that may be part of what prompted the recent toughening of enforcement.

Been seeing a lot of NJ plates lately (in addition to the standard ny, ca, and IL). How many TN plates u see in NJ?
Not many. It’s cheap to move to Tenn but way too expensive the other way. A lot of people go to FL, NC, SC, etc to retire. NJ do get plenty of people that move here because of jobs, we’ll paying jobs. Nothing new here.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
He either loves drinking Budweiser, never been to a brewery and/or drinks hard alcohol. There is no chance he owns a restaurant. All of his points are bizarre. Clearly never been to a brewery.
We are not discussing which beer is better.

here is the HL from the link OP posted:

Microbreweries aren't bars, the state says. As a result, they must limit events and only let people drink on-site if they've taken a tour.​

Last time I had a bud was at Royce Brook because I need to hydrate. I have a 3 transfusion limit.

Lobster House in Cape May is a prime example. Their beer menu is circa 1979 and no draft beers which is surprising for a place that large. One of the main reasons I don’t go there is their shitty beer menu

They have draft beers outside on the deck and also on the Schooner. Do they really not have draft beers inside the restaurant?

We are not discussing which beer is better.

here is the HL from the link OP posted:

Microbreweries aren't bars, the state says. As a result, they must limit events and only let people drink on-site if they've taken a tour.​

Why so angry Mr Budweiser? Except you, we are discussing why they are bringing back a rule that was discarded years ago. The mandatory tour rule was dropped years ago. Again you are clueless on the facts. Your anger is well noted by the big bolded letters. A very embarrassing touch.

Why so angry Mr Budweiser? Except you, we are discussing why they are bringing back a rule that was discarded years ago. The mandatory tour rule was dropped years ago. Again you are clueless on the facts. Your anger is well noted by the big bolded letters. A very embarrassing touch.
LOL….not angry. Copy and paste and that’s how it came out. Just too lazy to edit. The article says the tour rule is once a year. Repeat customers don’t have to do the tour each time. I know, hard requirements.

We're talking about restrictions on breweries, many of which have been in place through both Democrat governors and Republican governors. On a broader scale, yes, both parties are to blame. Regardless of one's political views, if you are so brainwashed to think that only one party is to blame for all of our problems and that the other one only wants to do what's best for us, that's pretty sad. Remember the gas tax increase from a few years back (which also included a provision that allowed for subsequent gas tax increases to happen automatically without a vote), was passed by a Democrat legislature and a Republican governor.

Never mind - I'm not getting involved in a politics discussion with a Leftard in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
If a brewery that serves no alcohol, no food and can sell only their beer is hurting your bar/restaurant business, maybe your business sucks.
I think I remember a discussion of a shore brewery inviting food trucks to the business so, in reality, you could get beer and food. Forget where.. Manawakin?

Maybe they should start doing BYOF like some restaurants do BYOB (or wine).

This whole issue is very like taxis vs uber/lyft/rideshare.. and established price (and rarity) exists for liquor licenses and taxi medallions... but the newcomers DISRUPT the market throwing investments out the window.

But the market.. demand.. aka what people want.. should win out. Maybe those restaurant owners who fail should learn to code.

Never mind - I'm not getting involved in a politics discussion with a Leftard in this thread.
Lol I couldn't be any clearer that I was criticizing both parties yet you still refer to me as a "leftard." No point even trying to have a logical discussion with such a partisan cheerleader.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Lol I couldn't be any clearer that I was criticizing both parties yet you still refer to me as a "leftard." No point even trying to have a logical discussion with such a partisan cheerleader.

Drawing a false equivalency between the parties is taking a Leftist stance. Later comrade.

• Haha
Reactions: robcac26

Right- but he can't tolerate any criticism of his party.

There's a word for people that melt at any sign of criticism I believe...

It's quite interesting to see in this thread the people claiming NJ is too restrictive of microwberies, but yet continue to rail about the legalization of cannabis, which was passed by overwhelming majorities in all 21 counties and all but 3 of 565 towns.

It's so fascinating to see the folks saying anyone can open a bar in their garage but towns should ban dispensaries.

Reactions: robcac26
It's quite interesting to see in this thread the people claiming NJ is too restrictive of microwberies, but yet continue to rail about the legalization of cannabis, which was passed by overwhelming majorities in all 21 counties and all but 3 of 565 towns.

It's so fascinating to see the folks saying anyone can open a bar in their garage but towns should ban dispensaries.

This is certain to derail this thread, but:

I don't think anyone here advocated for allowing anyone to open a bar in their garage. The closest I saw was T2K advocating that the state get out of the alcohol regulation business and leave it up to towns.

Regarding cannibas, my objections are twofold. (1) There are no reliable tests or proxies for someone driving under the influence of cannibas, while there is an easily administered test to measure blood alcohol concentration, which is a reasonable proxy to determine is someone is driving under the influence of alcohol. (2) Same as my objection to cigarette smoking, I don't like having to walk through a cloud of smoke because someone has been smoking pot nearby, and the smell lingers long after the smoker has left the area. This second objection obviously doesn't apply to edibles.

If someone comes up with a reasonably reliable test for driving under the influence of cannibas, and smoking (tobacco/cannibas/vaping) is banned in all outdoor areas and all public indoor areas, then I don't really have an objection.

The rules are insane. I hope they get struck down quickly. These breweries do a lot for the communities they are in and to chop off both arms like this is horrible.
The rules in place now are basically what they have been in the past. Breweries pay waaaayyyy less for their liscences than a restraunt does for it's liquor license. I can see why there pushback from them.
The tour thing was always the dumbest part of NJ brewery law. You're also hurting food trucks with these laws. Both bars/restaurants can co-exist without these measures.

If a brewery has a TV and they have a "big" game on that could be considered an event even if not advertised. That's just ridiculous and only one part of the new law which is going to kill half the industry.
NJ breweries dont even have TVs. At least the ones I have visited, and that list is plentiful. I wouldn't go to micro breweries to watch TV anyway. It's all about the beer, atmosphere and who you are with. I do agree bars and breweries can coexist, but there is a big difference in the cost for their respective licences and that's the crux of the problem.
A TV doesn't make a bar. Nor does having an event.
As I said there is no pushback in PA against breweries. The argument is silly in NJ.
Isnt there a requirement that PA breweries have to provide food? I think it is the same in NYS. They all have it available. NJ gets around that with BYOF or having food trucks nearby.

That must be a CE board conversation as I haven't seen anyone against 0 0 0
The rules in place now are basically what they have been in the past. Breweries pay waaaayyyy less for their liscences than a restraunt does for it's liquor license. I can see why there pushback from them.

NJ breweries dont even have TVs. At least the ones I have visited, and that list is plentiful. I wouldn't go to micro breweries to watch TV anyway. It's all about the beer, atmosphere and who you are with. I do agree bars and breweries can coexist, but there is a big difference in the cost for their respective licences and that's the crux of the problem.

Isnt there a requirement that PA breweries have to provide food? I think it is the same in NYS. They all have it available. NJ gets around that with BYOF or having food trucks nearby.
In the beginning they did. They couldn't charge customers either. Most had chips and pretzels. I'm pretty sure that has changed.

A few breweries local to me have TVs. but are rarely on. I can recall watching part of an NFL playoff game at Sunken Silo in Lebanon. Other times I've visited the TV was off. And speaking of SS, what a win win there. SS shares a building with Metropolitan Seafood. You can order oysters, clams, fish sammies, etc. Metro also started serving wings, flatbreads and more to satisfy those who don't want seafood. I think both are doing well...

A few breweries local to me have TVs. but are rarely on. I can recall watching part of an NFL playoff game at Sunken Silo in Lebanon. Other times I've visited the TV was off. And speaking of SS, what a win win there. SS shares a building with Metropolitan Seafood. You can order oysters, clams, fish sammies, etc. Metro also started serving wings, flatbreads and more to satisfy those who don't want seafood. I think both are doing well...
I have to get back to SS. I think I was there in the earlier times after covid started. The beer was good but it didn't move the needle too much. In my mind, I envisioned this brewery to be in the middle of a sunken silo, which would have been way cool.

Reactions: RU_PAYBACK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT