ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Yankees 2018-19 Hot Stove

There are quite a bit more than six aces in baseball. Heck, the Mets have two of them. It doesn't hurt to ask about Scherzer. Why give ace money to a guy like Corbin who has no track record for consistent production? If you haven't noticed, the Nats are poising themselves for a long run of contending in the post-Harper era. Trading Scherzer would free up money to continue in that direction. They also owe five years and $138 million to Strasburg (can opt out after year three), who can't be moved due to his frequent health woes. Strasburg gets $42 million next year and $38 million in 2020. That's $80 million per season for two pitchers. Nats would be smart to trade the guy who would net a return (as the Mets should be doing with deGrom at his peak value).

The goal is building a winner. Moving Scherzer lengthens the Nats' window well into the next decade. It also gives the Yankees an excellent shot of returning to the World Series in 2019 and 2020, if not 2021 as well. Put it this way: Scherzer is coming off six straight seasons that are better than the career year Corbin just had. Three Cy Young Awards, a runner-up and two fifth place finishes. Which pitcher is the better bet to anchor the Yankees' staff alongside Severino?
So what are you willing to move for Scherzer? Gleyber + how many other pieces?

Ha. Get serious. If Gleyber was approaching free agency maybe but nobody is that stupid.
Agree, Gleybee is untouchable right now. The talks would start with Andujar, Frazier and Sheffield. And I am not sure that gets it done.
Those three could most likely get Thor if the Mets and Yankees weren’t both in NYC.

Agree, Gleybee is untouchable right now. The talks would start with Andujar, Frazier and Sheffield. And I am not sure that gets it done.
Those three could most likely get Thor if the Mets and Yankees weren’t both in NYC.
Frazier couldn't play all season because of concussion issues. No one is trading for him as a major part of a deal.

The Yankees trade with Seattle and land starter James Paxton. Give up Justus Sheffield and 2 other prospect pitchers. Good pitcher but not an ace.

I agree. Paxton is not an ace but a solid #2/3. He has pitched well against the Red Sox and Astros. He has had injury issues, but that is the way it is these days for so many pitchers. Still relatively inexpensive with 2 years of control. Sheffield is a good prospect but I do not believe anyone has him at a higher ceiling than a good middle of rotation starter. The 2 other prospects are expendable for Yankees. I look at it as a good trade for Yankees.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I agree. Paxton is not an ace but a solid #2/3. He has pitched well against the Red Sox and Astros. He has had injury issues, but that is the way it is these days for so many pitchers. Still relatively inexpensive with 2 years of control. Sheffield is a good prospect but I do not believe anyone has him at a higher ceiling than a good middle of rotation starter. The 2 other prospects are expendable for Yankees. I look at it as a good trade for Yankees.
The problem is you are trading a middle rotation starter (with injury history) for a prospective middle of the rotation starter. Where is the upgrade?

The problem is you are trading a middle rotation starter (with injury history) for a prospective middle of the rotation starter. Where is the upgrade?

As with every trade there is always risk. The way I see it is that Paxton is already consistently at that level. Sheffield may never make it, and if he doeS it likely won't be for two or three yeRS.

It's a bold move. I think Paxton has top ten stuff when he is healthy. Could be a huge move but there is risk. I like it. And Paxton is NOT a middle of the rotation guy when he is 100%. Problem is he hasn't often been 100%

It's a bold move. I think Paxton has top ten stuff when he is healthy. Could be a huge move but there is risk. I like it. And Paxton is NOT a middle of the rotation guy when he is 100%. Problem is he hasn't often been 100%
Paxton has not ever pitched a full season in MLB, he's 30. Counting on him to stay healthy is like counting on Steven Matz.

I am not a Yankees fan but how many prospects do the Yankees trade that become stars? Yankees learned from the Frank Cashen Mets to over-rank their prospects. Don't think Sheffield will be a star thus I give advantage to Yankees in deal inherent with the risks that Paxton has (injuries; durability etc). Trade Cashman had to make sooner than later to erase sting of another Red Sox WS Championship and 2 celebrations by Red Sox in Yankee Stadium this year - as well as "Suck it Up Comment".

Cashman needs to sign one more top starter and then fill the Didi hole in the infield.

I’m not sure that Sheffield is projected to be mid rotation next year. Still has control issues. For next year, it’s an upgrade but obviously there are long term risks.

Paxton has not ever pitched a full season in MLB, he's 30. Counting on him to stay healthy is like counting on Steven Matz.
While you have a point you took it too far. He made 28 starts last year and 24 the year before so while he dealt with some injuries he still pitched quite a bit. I would t compare him to Matz and he is trending up. Look, again, it's a risk but I don't think we gave up much. The only guy I do t want to give up is Torres. I would give up Andujar even. Sheffield lives in that 92, 93 range which doesn't project as a number one or even two really. I am not saying he has no potential. He does, but I am willing to risk it.

While you have a point you took it too far. He made 28 starts last year and 24 the year before so while he dealt with some injuries he still pitched quite a bit. I would t compare him to Matz and he is trending up. Look, again, it's a risk but I don't think we gave up much. The only guy I do t want to give up is Torres. I would give up Andujar even. Sheffield lives in that 92, 93 range which doesn't project as a number one or even two really. I am not saying he has no potential. He does, but I am willing to risk it.
Resign Happ and sign Corbin (or Keuchel) and we are good to go with SPs.

A full season is considered 32 starts. His high so far is 28 which he only did once. I think it's a good trade because ultimately I agree that Sheffield isn't really a high ceiling guy but Paxton has major durability issues.

I don't know.......that article just sounds like they're trying to cherry pick certain statistics to make this look like a grand slam transaction.
Possibly but the relatively cheap asking price plus his strikeout potential made him tough to pass up.

Yanks didn’t want to go for 6 years, can’t really blame them. Corbin is making significantly more than Darvish did just last year.

Yanks will get somebody, just don’t know who. I think Andujar for Kluber just got more possible with Machado to take over 3rd.

Maybe I am crazy but the guy is cashing off one year that is going to pay him $140M? that is crazy. Where is any history that he will continue as this type of pitcher? So- if he gets 140M what is Thor, deGrom worth, much less MAtz and Wheeler - Met's may be sitting on the first billion dollar pitching staff

Yanks didn’t want to go for 6 years, can’t really blame them. Corbin is making significantly more than Darvish did just last year.

Yanks will get somebody, just don’t know who. I think Andujar for Kluber just got more possible with Machado to take over 3rd.
Machado isn't a fit for the Yankees. That would be an awful trade and free agent signing combo.

Maybe I am crazy but the guy is cashing off one year that is going to pay him $140M? that is crazy. Where is any history that he will continue as this type of pitcher? So- if he gets 140M what is Thor, deGrom worth, much less MAtz and Wheeler - Met's may be sitting on the first billion dollar pitching staff
Way too much for Corbin, and it sounded like he was concerned about going to the AL. Dodged a bullet. Time to sign Happ!

Reactions: WhiteBus

Hmm, not sure of that trade, don't feel strongly either way. But it is a possible option.

Kluber is good, but likely good for only a few more years, as compared to Andujar's entire career. Kluber and Machado for Andujar? Hmm, tough decision.
If that is the swap I would do it in a second. Andujar has serious defensive issues. I get people are down on Machado due to the way he has acted the last year, but he is a top three player of n the game and 26 years old. Guys saying he wouldn’t “fit in” are nuts.

If that is the swap I would do it in a second. Andujar has serious defensive issues. I get people are down on Machado due to the way he has acted the last year, but he is a top three player of n the game and 26 years old. Guys saying he wouldn’t “fit in” are nuts.
I'm not nuts. He is talented. But is a cancer in any clubhouse. Me first. Not what the Yankees need. They already have a lazy player in Sanchez and are already loaded with right handed power hitters. Yes he isn't a good fit. Besides he isn't a starting pitcher

I'm not nuts. He is talented. But is a cancer in any clubhouse. Me first. Not what the Yankees need. They already have a lazy player in Sanchez and are already loaded with right handed power hitters. Yes he isn't a good fit. Besides he isn't a starting pitcher
You have no idea what he is like in the clubhouse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT