ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

Harper for MVP. He is carrying this team.
Insane that he only has 32 HRs and 73 RBIs, no one getting on base in front of him. Saw this a couple of days ago:

Rumblings in Philly about bringing Girardi back. I think it would be a big mistake to let him go. Injuries, a zillion blown saves, and only 3 true starting P’s with Nola underperforming this season… this team played .500 ball because that’s who they are. I don’t put this enough on Girardi not to bring him back for 2022.

This season isn't Girardi's falt, it's a roster construction and player development problem.

Miracle on Pattison Avenue?Tonight may have been an omen.

I'll be there tomorrow night right in front of the Mets' radio booth.I don't know if WIP is sending a team there.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Got home at 5 to 2.Not bad odds for a favorite,but out of bounds for returning home from a game.Almost 4 hours plus subway delays,missed trains,etc.

Down to 2 now.I'm glad homecoming is at 3:30.

Back within striking distance for the division (again). Gotta hope we take 2 of 3 @NYM and ATL loses 2 of 3 @SF to stay at 2 GB going into next week with us having BAL and ATL having @AZ. Stay within 2 GB heading into that series @ATL is all we can ask at this point.

Back within striking distance for the division (again). Gotta hope we take 2 of 3 @NYM and ATL loses 2 of 3 @SF to stay at 2 GB going into next week with us having BAL and ATL having @AZ. Stay within 2 GB heading into that series @ATL is all we can ask at this point.
“All we can ask”? We are only 2 out now. We really need to be within one (or better) going into the Atlanta series. We have 2 with the reeling Mets, and SEVEN with the Pirates and O’s. During that time, the Braves schedule includes 6 games against the Padres and Giants (the other 4 are with the D-backs),

I feel like I've said this before. I was out, and they're giving me hope again. This isn't very nice of them to toy with my emotions like this.
I was never out but it looked grim a week ago. Like Thursday's night game this team does not give up and I give credit to Giradi and Harper for that. For all the bad loses they have many great comebacks this year starting with the first series with Atlanta back in April.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
“All we can ask”? We are only 2 out now. We really need to be within one (or better) going into the Atlanta series. We have 2 with the reeling Mets, and SEVEN with the Pirates and O’s. During that time, the Braves schedule includes 6 games against the Padres and Giants (the other 4 are with the D-backs),

Have you followed this team this season?

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Have you followed this team this season?
Unfortunately, and it’s been painful at times. But, again, after today, next 7 at home against the Pirates and Orioles. And after yesterday, we are one out. Now I’m hoping we are at least even going into the Braves series.

Reactions: WhiteBus
EMT workers have just detected a faint pulse.3.5 in the division,possibly 3 if the Braves go on to lose that suspended game in San Diego.Also 3 in the wild card.

Could this be the reverse of 1964 with the Fightins' beating out the Reds and the Cardinals this time?
In 2007, it was the last day that they took the division

Reactions: rufancoe00
As quoted by @RUScrew85 a while back....
"It's hard to believe, Harry."
harrywhitey.jpg

At a similar time in 1964,I was just waking up after having been to up 4:30 that long ago Saturday night,listening to the 16 inning loss at Dodger Stadium brought about by Willie Davis' steal of home with two outs and two strikes on Ron Fairly.The loss left the Phillies 5.5 ahead of the pack and did not deter the two way arrow signs on the Turnpike that said:THIS WAY TO THE WORLD SERIES.

The best possible scenario:Win the division and take the Brewers over whom they have a 5-2 season edge.
Concurrently,have the Cardinals win the wild card game,then beat the other titan,giving the Phillies home field in the NLCS.
All this is possible.Likely?

2 games out with 9 to play. If we're within one after we finish this series, we have a shot. I think 2 games or more is a really tough ask at that point.

2 games out with 9 to play. If we're within one after we finish this series, we have a shot. I think 2 games or more is a really tough ask at that point.
The Braves will have 4 outcomes this weekend as they're completing a suspended game tonight,so it'll be a fractional result.1.5 seems to be a good place to be.Who knows?Next week,we may chanting :"LET'S GO METS!"

The Braves will have 4 outcomes this weekend as they're completing a suspended game tonight,so it'll be a fractional result.1.5 seems to be a good place to be.Who knows?Next week,we may chanting :"LET'S GO METS!"
Have to hand it to the Phils to keep fighting, unlike the Mets, who folded like a cheap piece of lawn furniture. When I saw the 1st inning score was 6-0 last night, was ready to write the Phils off too--but what a comeback. Don't count on the Mets for any help, even if they are trying to help.

Insane that he only has 32 HRs and 73 RBIs, no one getting on base in front of him. Saw this a couple of days ago:

This season isn't Girardi's falt, it's a roster construction and player development problem.

Yeah but Girardi as a great manager sure has worn off watching him manage a average team.

Then Nola gives up 6 in 4 innings and the Phils score 8 in the 8th to win 8-7. 7? Yeah the bullpen gave up a run in the 8th, of course.

That gives them 34 blown saves for the season, which ties the record. On the bright side I saw this from Jayson Stark:

Now Bradley, who hasn't been great, but is better than Son of Bedrock and the others that are thrown out there in late innings, is going on the DL.

That's OK the Padres will take care of business against the Braves with hopefully a good starting performance from **checks notes** , oh God no, Vince Velasquez.

That gives them 34 blown saves for the season, which ties the record. On the bright side I saw this from Jayson Stark:

Now Bradley, who hasn't been great, but is better than Son of Bedrock and the others that are thrown out there in late innings, is going on the DL.

That's OK the Padres will take care of business against the Braves with hopefully a good starting performance from **checks notes** , oh God no, Vince Velasquez.

Bradley isn't that good either if you ask me.

Actually , phillies took the division lead that year on a Friday . Lost it Saturday . Got it back Sunday . Mets blew a 7 game lead in 14 games
I was at Citizens Bank Park for the last Phillies game. in 2007. The Mets were blown out, while the Phillies won easily. After the game ended, the Phillies came back from the locker room for curtain calls.

I was at Citizens Bank Park for the last Phillies game. in 2007. The Mets were blown out, while the Phillies won easily. After the game ended, the Phillies came back from the locker room for curtain calls.
Yep , Mets blown out in tom Galvine’s last game for Mets.

Atlanta beats San Diego 10-8 in ten innings. Padres led 8-7 with two out in the top of the ninth, and a man on first. A passed ball moves him to second, and then Rosario singles to tie the game. In the top of the 10th, a double by Soler (who earlier had hit a 3-run homer to tie the game after Machado's grand slam) gives Atlanta the lead, Albies follows with a sacrifice fly, and then Will Smith is lockdown in the bottom of the 10th. Back to a game and a half out.

Should Wheeler and Nola win the first 2 games,will Girardi switch to Suarez for the third game against perhaps the most power packed right handed hitting team since the original Washington Senators?

The Padres were soft as warm butter. Even if they somehow won all 3 to take a lead, the Mets will be even softer afterwards for the Braves.

OK, for real this time. It's over. 2.5 out with 6 to play. Even if we take 2 of 3 from Atlanta, it's not likely we overtake them. A sweep is the only way. Does anyone see that happening? It can finally be 100% football season now.

Should Wheeler and Nola win the first 2 games,will Girardi switch to Suarez for the third game against perhaps the most power packed right handed hitting team since the original Washington Senators?
A sports writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer thinks that the Phillies should pitch Suarez on short rest Wednesday, and pitch Gibson on Friday against the Marlins. The argument is that Suarez "only" threw 97 pitches Saturday and wasn't sure he had to ice his arm. I don't think it's a good idea partly because of what's said above, and partly because I think regular rest is important. Note that the Phillies will have to have a bullpen game Saturday or they'll have to go again with the rookies -- Crouse, Sanchez, etc. Wheeler would then pitch Sunday if the game has any importance.

I thought the Padres played hard against the Braves, even though the Braves won the three regular games. Maybe the Mets will do the same over the weekend. One thing for sure: the Marlins will play the Phillies tough -- they've had the Phillies number for a couple of years at least.

OK, for real this time. It's over. 2.5 out with 6 to play. Even if we take 2 of 3 from Atlanta, it's not likely we overtake them. A sweep is the only way. Does anyone see that happening? It can finally be 100% football season now.

Phillies can realistically only lose 1 game over the next week. Here it is in chart from from this post on reddit,

In the end the better team is proving it.

Need 5 starters - went this season with anywhere from 2-4 at a given time. And Nola needs to be better.

Need a bullpen - there are a variety of reasons we’re coming up short, but blowing 30+ saves is a very big one.

Sad because Hoskins was putting up big numbers before he got hurt and Harper has had an MVP season. We’ve got nothing to show for that.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Sad because Hoskins was putting up big numbers before he got hurt and Harper has had an MVP season. We’ve got nothing to show for that.
Don't forget that Wheeler had a top 5 NL Cy Young season as well. Amazing that the Phils have a MVP and Cy Young candidate and still won't win more than 85 or so games.

Need to fix the entire left side of the infield and 2 outfield spots as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT